closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Some wristshots of Patek, Credor & Grand Seiko from events over the weekend.

  1. #1
    Master JC180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,607

    Some wristshots of Patek, Credor & Grand Seiko from events over the weekend.

    Went to the inaugural GS9 UK club meet Thursday night in Manchester which was a very pleasant evening, on tried on one Watch which was the new SBGP017 but then the following day went in to WoS to try on a host of Patek and a number of the GS from the previous evening were there. Let me know your highlights, mine were quite suprisingm what I expected to love, I did not, and what I somewhat liked, I loved on the wrist!































    A couple of my own





    Loads more where these came from if any specific requests...

  2. #2
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,345
    Blog Entries
    26
    Some delicious watch porn there. ;-)

    Thanks for sharing.

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,753
    Blog Entries
    6
    What was the one that surprised you most? Both from toward negative and towards positive?

    Thanks for posting some lovely pics

  4. #4
    Master JC180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,607
    I absolutely loved the Patek 5226 less so the 5236. Felt the bezel is too wide and flat, dial is a bit of a mishmash of cutouts and colours. Not cohesive. The 5226 had perfect proportions, slim, elegant, nice graduated dial, perfect!

    Was lukewarm on the 5164a which was a surprise, the dial was quite flat and lifeless. Preferred the gold aquanauts with blue dials 5168 is lovely but the 5968 is spectacular.

    The pink opaline dials were a disappointment, I would have loved a flatter salmon with dark hands and numerals, the dial was a too reflective and the hands and numerals not matt enough to contrast.

    World time in platinum was lovely, just tricky to tell the time.

    The GS platinum tree rings and the Credor were lovely, just cant get my head around £50k each.

    All in all, tried on a load of watches and some standouts there but others didn't set my pulse racing.

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    881
    Thanks for taking the time to post.

    I never bother taking any notice of PP releases, not because I don't like them but because most of the references I seem to like are VIP only. As a consequence the 5226 release had totally passed me by until you posted your photo, absolutely love that one. The texture on the dial, the colours, the simplicity of the overall design, and since doing a google of the reference the hobnail sides of the case all combine to make an awesome reference to my eyes. Only downside is a 45hour reserve, which seems a bit low nowadays?

    Your photo of the sbgp017 is very washed out, almost white, I take the lighting was petty harsh at the venue?

    Again, many thanks for sharing, sounds like a nice time was had.

    Edit to add, I don't know the ref but that first GS you shared is phenomenal (the silver one), so simple, elegant and stylish, easily as good as the PP's you posted IMHO. Any chance you can share the ref please?
    Last edited by dustybottoms; 21st June 2022 at 13:21.

  6. #6
    What kind of availability is there on the 5226...any idea? I rather like that one.

  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    What kind of availability is there on the 5226...any idea? I rather like that one.
    I know your question wasn't directed at me, but Chrono24 seems to have them listed at double RRP, so I'm guessing not good..

  8. #8
    Master 50kopek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Hague, Netherlands
    Posts
    1,136
    Thanks very much for sharing those photos. It may be what we call in Dutch 'cursing in church' to say this here, but some of those PP dials and the Daytona dial look a little cheap when compared to the VC and GS. It may just be the light. The UN may be far from the style of watches I usually prefer, but it's 100% awesome.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    I know your question wasn't directed at me, but Chrono24 seems to have them listed at double RRP, so I'm guessing not good..
    Oh dear. I don't like it that much!

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,753
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Oh dear. I don't like it that much!
    Id say go register with your local dealer and wait. Its a calatrava after all, and in gold, these are generally not big sellers and so as this market corrects itself watches like these will be passed on when allocations arrive. might take year but it will happen

  11. #11
    Master daveyw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,922
    Any thoughts on the 5172? From photos I think it looks like a winner, how was it in real life?

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Utrecht, Nederland
    Posts
    2,150
    That UN is so cool!

  13. #13
    looks like grand seiko have patek beat in the good looking dial department in my eyes.

  14. #14
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    13,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Id say go register with your local dealer and wait. Its a calatrava after all, and in gold, these are generally not big sellers and so as this market corrects itself watches like these will be passed on when allocations arrive. might take year but it will happen
    Might depend on the AD. I have a pretty decent spend with WoS over a few years and wasnít allowed to go on the list for a 6119G Calatrava. Needed a Calatrava Travel Time or 5227G Calatrava first.

    As you say over the course of a correction the tables will turn or the playing field will at least level out.

  15. #15
    Craftsman theancientmariner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Newcastle, U.K.
    Posts
    259
    thanks for posting the photos, lots to look at and admire. The Grand Seikos are very nice and the platinum tree rings is stunning, not sure that it's £50k stunning but I suppose that it is platinum. I really like the UN Freak as well, that's on my wishlist.

    while I think the PP watches are nice enough, they've never done anything for me. If I wasn't aware of their value and scarcity, I would probably glance over them but bar one, I wouldn't consider buying them, even if I could.

    with the Credor, I really can't see anything special about it. Nice enough watch and no doubt meticulously manufactured with a hand painted dial but again, at £50k, not for me.

  16. #16
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    406
    All lovely watches, I agree the grand seiko seem to trump patek which all look a bit meh!
    Although the best of the bunch imo is your vacheron which is lovely.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

  17. #17
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    25
    The second PP is lovely. Uncluttered and nice depth to the dial. Others perhaps too busyÖ

    Interesting how the photos vs wear are quite different. Tried on a snowflake (grail watch for me) for the first time last week and was a bit disappointed - again, the dial is amazing, but it just felt too big.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Master JC180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,607
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    What kind of availability is there on the 5226...any idea? I rather like that one.
    Lists are closed at WoS, once it goes past 5 years there is no further expressions of interest even from "qualifying buyers"! I think the 5326 has an 18 year wait list.

    Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to post.

    I never bother taking any notice of PP releases, not because I don't like them but because most of the references I seem to like are VIP only. As a consequence the 5226 release had totally passed me by until you posted your photo, absolutely love that one. The texture on the dial, the colours, the simplicity of the overall design, and since doing a google of the reference the hobnail sides of the case all combine to make an awesome reference to my eyes. Only downside is a 45hour reserve, which seems a bit low nowadays?

    Your photo of the sbgp017 is very washed out, almost white, I take the lighting was petty harsh at the venue?

    Again, many thanks for sharing, sounds like a nice time was had.

    Edit to add, I don't know the ref but that first GS you shared is phenomenal (the silver one), so simple, elegant and stylish, easily as good as the PP's you posted IMHO. Any chance you can share the ref please?
    Pleasure, the PP movement is a stalwart but older less efficient and single barrel movement, I also think they quote low but my PP's don't have particularly good PR.

    The ref on that three hand GS is the SBGW267 "Asakage" European Edition https://www.seikoboutique.co.uk/prod...usive-sbgw267/ it wasn't part of the event, it was on another guests wrist, but everyone was showing and swapping watches, had a good vibe and was very relaxed.

    The light was really bad at the venue, I really struggled to get a good one, below is another I took, this was lit up with a UV loupe type thing but shows the texture well. I don't think any pale dial GS is as blue or as pink in most situations as the pics show. Exception is probably the Skyflake.




    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    Any thoughts on the 5172? From photos I think it looks like a winner, how was it in real life?
    I wanted a pinker flatter dial and matt anthracite hands for ultimate contrast, it was all too glossy and shiny both dial and hands/markers. Made me order the 5172 with a blue dial as the movement was gorgeous.

    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    looks like grand seiko have patek beat in the good looking dial department in my eyes.
    Perhaps, but overall PP are the dogs, some models are better than others but when you've lived with both, you see where the money is spent with PP.

    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Might depend on the AD. I have a pretty decent spend with WoS over a few years and wasnít allowed to go on the list for a 6119G Calatrava. Needed a Calatrava Travel Time or 5227G Calatrava first.

    As you say over the course of a correction the tables will turn or the playing field will at least level out.
    If you have an existing relationship, one classic purchase (i.e. 5524 etc) will guarantee a slot for a steel sports model, otherwise its two qualifying purchases.

    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    thanks for posting the photos, lots to look at and admire. The Grand Seikos are very nice and the platinum tree rings is stunning, not sure that it's £50k stunning but I suppose that it is platinum. I really like the UN Freak as well, that's on my wishlist.

    while I think the PP watches are nice enough, they've never done anything for me. If I wasn't aware of their value and scarcity, I would probably glance over them but bar one, I wouldn't consider buying them, even if I could.

    with the Credor, I really can't see anything special about it. Nice enough watch and no doubt meticulously manufactured with a hand painted dial but again, at £50k, not for me.
    Platinum tree rings is a gorgeous watch, consider though that the steel Orbit SLGA009 limited to 550 peices is £8,990 with an identical movement and almost identical dial, you are paying over £45,000 for a few grams of platinum. It should be in the low £20k's at best. GS pricing on the PM models mystifies me.

    Similarly the Credor at £30k would be an incredible watch. Its totally unique and hand finished, nothing else compares at that price point, it's basically a Philippe Dufour for a fraction of the price, so they say, the only issue is, Philippe Dufour didn't make it, he just set up the workshop and techniques. Still its a gorgeous piece in the flesh.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    All lovely watches, I agree the grand seiko seem to trump patek which all look a bit meh!
    Although the best of the bunch imo is your vacheron which is lovely.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Its hard to appreciate the Pateks in a rush and trying loads of sample watches on in a hurry under less than ideal light conditions with straps and bracelets unsized is never a good indicator. At the last exhibition, I tried on the 5726a and was not that enamoured with it, when I bought mine a month or two later, the detail blows me away every time. They are where they are in the market for a reason, its not just hype, but I wasn't taken with every watch.

  19. #19
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,345
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    I think the 5326 has an 18 year wait list.
    LOL, oh dear.

  20. #20
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    881
    Thanks again JC180 for posting another photo and taking the time to respond to comments and questions, much appreciated.

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,927
    Thatís a great selection of watches youíve tried on there :-)

  22. #22
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lagoa, Portugal
    Posts
    11,085
    Blog Entries
    20
    Some lovely shots there. Reminds me to dig out my 5146 in a couple of days.

    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly soĒ. HHGTTG

  23. #23
    Grand Master wileeeeeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    13,642
    Quote Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
    If you have an existing relationship, one classic purchase (i.e. 5524 etc) will guarantee a slot for a steel sports model, otherwise its two qualifying purchases.
    Thatís interesting, that wasnít explained to me. A 5524 was brought up and offered with the explanation of a price rise the next week and a sports piece was within 18 months but Iíve been burnt twice before going that route with WoS and the depreciation was an instant 10k at best.

    I still do want a Patek and your pictures arenít helping but Iíll have to bide my time.

  24. #24
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,680
    The Credor and UN are the worst of an otherwise incredible bunch. I like simplicity (other than Credor) so was drawn to the first GS and the PP Field.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information