closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are non certified quality watches less accurate?

Master

Are non certified quality watches less accurate?

I’m considering either the Omega Seamaster diver which is a chronometer or the GO SeaQ which isn’t. Is the GO likely to be less accurate - something I consider useful in a watch.

In my experience, no.

I have a U1 with off the shelf ETA that runs about a second day slow. My Omega Seamaster master chronometer is 3 seconds a day fast.

The tolerances modern movements are designed and made to, mean chronometer ratings are just a marketing tool. If adjusted the movements can achieve incredible accuracy. Most quality watches will run within or close to chronometer spec these days.

The only ‘quality’ watch I have had an issue with was a SBDX01 MM300. When I bought it, it was 15/20 slow a day. So off it went for a service at Seiko. It’s now amazingly 0.5 seconds a day slow according to my twixt app.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 21st June 2022 at 06:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    In my experience, no.

I have a U1 with off the shelf ETA that runs about a second day slow. My Omega Seamaster master chronometer is 3 seconds a day fast.

The tolerances modern movements are designed and made to, mean chronometer ratings are just a marketing tool. If adjusted the movements can achieve incredible accuracy. Most quality watches will run within or close to chronometer spec these days.

The only ‘quality’ watch I have had an issue with was a SBDX01 MM300. When I bought it, it was 15/20 slow a day. So off it went for a service at Seiko. It’s now amazingly 0.5 seconds a day slow according to my twixt app.
    Thank you.

Over the last 15yrs of watch collecting, including owning the majority of 'big name' brands, my two most accurate autos have been an Orient and the Vratislavia I just sold on SC. Both under £200 and neither had seen a sniff of a chronometer certificate.

If you really want accuracy, go for a quartz, spring drive or tuning fork.

Yes it is more likely to be less accurate out of the box but you can get it regulated anyway and it might even be more accurate.

I have had loads of cheap watches run with cosc specs that cost less than a single bracelet link from a company like Omega.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    I’m considering either the Omega Seamaster diver which is a chronometer or the GO SeaQ which isn’t. Is the GO likely to be less accurate - something I consider useful in a watch.
    Remember COSC is Control Officiel Suisse Chronometers. Doesn't apply to German watches, but they are no slouches at all. They just dont use that certification.
    My GO ran at +3 IIRC which was well within the COSC parameters.

Grand Master
    without seeing the positional agreement you can`t say whether a watch is running to SOSC spec or not. If the difference between maximum and minimum rate in the 5 tested positions is less than 10 seconds there's a chance it will meet COSC, if not it won't but it could still be regulated to run between -4 and +6 in typical everyday wear. COSC is much misunderstood.

Blog Entries
    Some of my most expensive watches have been the least accurate (AP cough). If a watch is adjusted it can most likely run within COSC spec or better with modern movement.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Over the last 15yrs of watch collecting, including owning the majority of 'big name' brands, my two most accurate autos have been an Orient and the Vratislavia I just sold on SC. Both under £200 and neither had seen a sniff of a chronometer certificate.

If you really want accuracy, go for a quartz, spring drive or tuning fork.
    What he said… why spend all that ££££ when your real concern is how accurate it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    In my experience, no.

I had a similar issue with a Willard SPB so I demagnetised it and it went to within 5” a day. Nice £20 fix.

Apart from a few exceptions, my more expensive self certified, METAS or COSC watches have been far more accurate than those that weren’t.

Certain movements can be regulated very well, but that doesn’t mean the brand / manufacturers will spend the time. I’ve found reasonably expensive Seiko to be very hit and miss over the years. Audemars, not the best, non-chronometer/METAS Omega to be variable, but Hamilton and Certina to be pretty damn good.
    It's just a matter of time...

This is a Seiko NH35 auto that’s been regulated:

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 25th June 2022 at 11:08.

My Garmin isn't.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Apart from a few exceptions, my more expensive self certified, METAS or COSC watches have been far more accurate than those that weren’t.

Certain movements can be regulated very well, but that doesn’t mean the brand / manufacturers will spend the time. I’ve found reasonably expensive Seiko to be very hit and miss over the years. Audemars, not the best, non-chronometer/METAS Omega to be variable, but Hamilton and Certina to be pretty damn good.
    Yes pretty much my experience as well. My METAS Omega's are incredibly accurate, my 12 year old Deepsea is still +1 sec per day and I've had great accuracy from Certina. Some of the French micro brands take the time to regulate movements, Baltic are pretty decent and I've got a Wolbrook/Douglas with an 8000 series Miyota that is +0.25sec. At the opposite end I have quite a few Squale, where they clearly just put the SW200 movements in without any regulation, they are anything from -10 to + 20 secs per day......... but I love the character of the Squale's, as movement precision is only part of equation for me in terms of enjoying a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    I had a similar issue with a Willard SPB so I demagnetised it and it went to within 5” a day. Nice £20 fix.

Five inches a day is good!

Craftsman
    I tend to agree, my Steinhart Ocean 39 GMT 500 housing the SW330 consistently runs at 0 spd, whether I was just lucky and got a good one....