closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hodinkee are at it again. $5,000 book.

Master

Hodinkee are at it again. $5,000 book.

Just had an email from Hodinkee about their latest Daytona reference book.

$362 for the basic version.
    $847 for the DeLuxe (same as the basic but with a half-linen binding).
    $5,205 for the limited version (same as the DeLuxe, but with full linen binding. And it's limited. And it comes in a box).

"As a follow up to Pucci Papaleo's popular Daytona guidebook, today we're adding the Daytona Perpetual, which comes in series of three iterations: the Daytona Perpetual Basic, DeLuxe, and Special 999. Daytona Perpetual Basic Edition hones in on the modern, self-winding, five- and six-digit references of the model and the rich variety of styles within these references, specifically focusing on dial materials."

https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...9-edition-book

Buy one now! It'll be double the price on Ebay or grey dealers within a week.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

never knew linen was so expensive.

we have some sheets and tablecloths - additional insurance ?

I thought the were to busy campaigning for gender neutral watches https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/al...JseJPXl4CEOng8

Seriously I wish hodinkee would just jog on

Hats off to them - they know they can, and therefore they do it with no harm done. It's just aimed at folk with substantial disposable income to have a watch fan/Hodinkee flag on their coffee tables no?

I really thought I read that title wrong.... what the

The whole luxury (watch) industry is based on Veblen economics.

The book is worth $5200 in the same way that a Rolex is worth £10000. The vendors create the perception of value and exclusivity by a high price and ensuring that supply never quite meets demand.

You might feel that the watch is worth the money and the book is a rip off, but in reality it's the same scam.

Before anyone gets all shirty, even though I know what these vendors are doing, I'm still fool enough to buy their goods from time to time.

[shrug]

Craftsman
    I would genuinely love to know who it is that keeps buying this stuff. Partly so I could sell them some magic beans, but also I'd just love to know exactly what kind of person needs to drop $5k on a book, or $6k on an alarm clock. Even if I had unlimited money, I just don't think I would need these things in my life.

Does it come with a free travel clock?

Bunch of chancers.

Either their max basket quantity is 10 of their max stock (remaining?) Is 10.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 9th February 2021 at 18:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    I would genuinely love to know who it is that keeps buying this stuff. Partly so I could sell them some magic beans, but also I'd just love to know exactly what kind of person needs to drop $5k on a book, or $6k on an alarm clock. Even if I had unlimited money, I just don't think I would need these things in my life.
    You are on a watch forum, most of their sales probably go to people who frequent this place.

I think the price is a misprint. The book is only £20. Not a bad price. 😀

SPECIFICATIONS
    292 pages
    13.77 x 17.72 x 2.76 inches
    20 pounds

Blog Entries
    ^^^^ good one! ^^^

https://shop.hodinkee.com/collections/library/products/daytona-perpetual-special-999-edition-book

$5,205 LE to 999 copies. Weighs in at 20 lbs. They will "fly".

Each copy is numbered and signed and features a wooden hardcover construction covered in bright orange linen fabric and housed in a clamshell presentation box. In addition, the stucco-finished paper used in the DeLuxe version is further enhanced with a UV silk screening coating on all the photographs, which creates a mirror-like finish that provides both a visual and textural impact to the experience of this book
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 9th February 2021 at 20:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    I thought the were to busy campaigning for gender neutral watches https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/al...JseJPXl4CEOng8
    Money for old rope writing that.

Which they can then use to make a 5k book.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    You are on a watch forum, most of their sales probably go to people who frequent this place.
    Given the reaction on here, I would guess not.

Maybe you're right though. I'll put those magic beans up on SC and see how it goes.

I would never buy a ‘watch book’ for $5,000 but sure some people would. If they do, it is between them and Hodinkee.
    I am not sure why people are getting their knickers in a twist.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    For the simple reason that without opinions, we do not have anything to discuss.
    Opinions make forums.

Craftsman
    Put down the crack pipe Hodinkee

Master
    I’m not sure anyone’s knickers are especially twisted Raj

I really like some of the collaborations they’ve put out over the last couple of years, but the paradigm shift for Hodinkee from observing and reporting on watches and watch trends to trying to engineer those trends has created a few memorable Emperor’s New Clothes moments; and sure, I’m going to call bullshit on a £5k coffee table book.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I would never buy a ‘watch book’ for $5,000 but sure some people would. If they do, it is between them and Hodinkee.

Well, good on them if they sell a few and shame on those who buy them...

Something about a fool and his money.

Given the reaction on here, I would guess not.

Maybe you're right though. I'll put those magic beans up on SC and see how it goes.
    Say they come with hang tags and a coffin case and there is a 2 year waiting list from an AD and people will pay double your asking price.

Master
    I would genuinely love to know who it is that keeps buying this stuff.
    Wankers.

Hodinkee make a "luxury" item, take some nice pictures of some generic Hodinkee wanker surrounded by other luxury items, with a blazer and a poloneck in a $10,000 chair, and people want that life so they buy it. Hodinkee make things for wankers.

Live and let live. If I could fleece WIS suckers for a $5k book with 95%+ profit margin and I had the inclination, I'd do it too.

To understand the value you need to understand the clientele, I imagine Hodinkee done their homework and know they can ask such an inflated price, at 5k I guess if they sold 10% of the production run they are probably in good profit.

We also need to understand that there are a lot more people who like limited branded goods, also that they earn an incredible amount of money as a passive income.

For us it’s crazy money and basically a piss take, but there is whole other world out there where this is quite normal.

Reminds me a bit of the iPhone app “I am Rich” which sold for USD 999,99 - the maximum price allowed in the App Store.

It basically does nothing except show some text.

It sold eight times before being removed (info from Wikipedia).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    fair play to them, if peeps want to spunk that on a book in a box, so be it

I think I will wait for the kindle edition or PDF.

This

Or perhaps I'll pass either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Or maybe enquire at your local library

Master
    It'll take Elon Musk 2.8 seconds to garner the $5,000 to pay for the book, based on his 2020 increase in net wealth.

2.8 seconds.

I think there will be a market for this. I can’t remember their exact prices but I remember some pretty expensive books when I was last downstairs in Selfridges.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    Wankers.

Hodinkee make a "luxury" item, take some nice pictures of some generic Hodinkee wanker surrounded by other luxury items, with a blazer and a poloneck in a $10,000 chair, and people want that life so they buy it. Hodinkee make things for wankers.
    Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    fair play to them, if peeps want to spunk that on a book in a box, so be it
    public forum guys.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Just had an email from Hodinkee about their latest Daytona reference book.

$362 for the basic version.
    $847 for the DeLuxe (same as the basic but with a half-linen binding).
    $5,205 for the limited version (same as the DeLuxe, but with full linen binding. And it's limited. And it comes in a box).

"As a follow up to Pucci Papaleo's popular Daytona guidebook, today we're adding the Daytona Perpetual, which comes in series of three iterations: the Daytona Perpetual Basic, DeLuxe, and Special 999. Daytona Perpetual Basic Edition hones in on the modern, self-winding, five- and six-digit references of the model and the rich variety of styles within these references, specifically focusing on dial materials."

https://shop.hodinkee.com/collection...9-edition-book
    I also started collecting history books, which is very important for me because I have loved history since childhood. At https://writix.com/essay-examples/history, I often read history research. I am especially interested in the period of the first half of the 20th century.
    Not a bad price, I would hardly buy it.
    Last edited by bobocat; 27th June 2022 at 09:15.

You can’t really call them chancers, because they’ll sell. All the Paul Newman Daytona bores will lap it up!

This sort of thing really reduces their credibility in my eyes. I find it very frustrating to watch. I refuse to browse their shop these days as it feels as though they contribute to a lot of the hyperbole in the watch market.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Sadly it seems the WIS/wristwatch sector has now been infiltrated to such an extent by the very wealthy/instagram ‘look at me’ generation that the price of watches and any related ephemera is now at a ludicrous level. Sure, there have always been wealthy watch collectors, but the limited edition and overpriced sickness seems to be spreading to nearly every brand as they make claim to their slice of the pie. From £5k linen lined books, mad priced Rolex everything down to £1500 G shocks and £600 Seikos that still gain 30 seconds a day and have wonky dials! All a bit sad imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hodinkee have done what several members of the Heuer community started doing years ago. Inflating and ego chasing their own collection along with their posse of followers to blatantly inflate the costs of certain Heuers whilst berating certain models which they either don't own or don't hit the spot as a collectable Heuer in their eyes.
    Totally ripped the arse out of Heuer collecting years ago .
    They continue to keep the prices high by willy waving suitcases full of their watches daily on Instagram and other mediums for self gratification.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    The whole luxury (watch) industry is based on Veblen economics.

The book is worth $5200 in the same way that a Rolex is worth £10000. The vendors create the perception of value and exclusivity by a high price and ensuring that supply never quite meets demand.

You might feel that the watch is worth the money and the book is a rip off, but in reality it's the same scam.

Before anyone gets all shirty, even though I know what these vendors are doing, I'm still fool enough to buy their goods from time to time.

[shrug]
    Thanks for this, I learned much from it.

I did a search on 'Veblen Economics' as I'd never heard of it.

What an eye-opener...

...This is a cut and paste job from the Wikipedia page:

In other words, Veblen explained that social status becomes earned and displayed by consumption patterns rather than what the individual makes financially.[39] Subsequently, people in other social classes are influenced by this behavior and, as Veblen argued, strive to emulate the leisure class. What results from this behavior, is a society characterized by the waste of time and money.
    Fascinating.

Love learning new stuff =)

Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post
    Thanks for this, I learned much from it.

I did a search on 'Veblen Economics' as I'd never heard of it.

What an eye-opener...

...This is a cut and paste job from the Wikipedia page:

Fascinating.

Love learning new stuff =)
    You're obviously fairly new around here as we used to have a member round here who used the word in every post - sometimes twice!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052