closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BikeSafe...

Craftsman

BikeSafe...

Completed a BikeSafe course last Sunday with Devon and Cornwall police.

If you've never taken one...

...I highly recommend it.

I learned an absolute stack of potentially life-saving information in the 3-hour ride out.

Though I gotta say...

...Having a police bike in my wing mirror took some getting used to!

Personally, I think the biggest takeaway for me was an attitude readjustment about what it means to be a biker.

I used to think it meant being a risk-taking, ass-kicking, always flat-out maniac.

If there was a car in front of me...

...I had to overtake it.

If there wasn't a car in front of me...

...I had to be going as fast as possible.

Not any more.

As a result, I enjoy riding even more now and I'm much safer too.

Your mileage may vary, but I guarantee you'll learn something.

Safe Journeys

Marcus

Master
    Great post. Keep it shiny side up and ride safe - ride again.

Master
    Just do I what I did, buy an old Brit bike. You will just poodle along because it's what old Brit riders do.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post
    Completed a BikeSafe course last Sunday with Devon and Cornwall police.

If you've never taken one...

...I highly recommend it.

I learned an absolute stack of potentially life-saving information in the 3-hour ride out.

Though I gotta say...

...Having a police bike in my wing mirror took some getting used to!

Personally, I think the biggest takeaway for me was an attitude readjustment about what it means to be a biker.

I used to think it meant being a risk-taking, ass-kicking, always flat-out maniac.

If there was a car in front of me...

...I had to overtake it.

If there wasn't a car in front of me...

...I had to be going as fast as possible.

Not any more.

As a result, I enjoy riding even more now and I'm much safer too.

Your mileage may vary, but I guarantee you'll learn something.

Safe Journeys

Marcus

I’m afraid in 38 years of riding I’ve never felt this way - for me it’s always been the freedom of being out their on my own

Master
    Blog Entries
    Same when I took my truck test the other week. You realise that need to be a lot higher level of driver than everyone else on the roads.

Master
    Probably the best £35 ( from memory) I spent. Lancashire Constabulary, many of the Police riders were on their days off such was the commitment of the team. As the OP states a fully stickered up RT 1250 3 metres of your tail is like having a battleship in your mirror.

Best takeaway for me Chevrons and danger signs erected on country roads cost the Councils money, they dont commission them unless they have had a incident.

Steve

Master
    I did it years ago with the PSNI.

It was quite surreal cruising at 80-90 in a 60 with the occasional squirt into three figures when overtaking, all with a police bike lurking in the mirrors.

I can't say I learnt a great deal from it, but it was free and got you 10% off your insurance so a no brainer.

Well done Samlack99! I think the Police should introduce a similar course for car drivers.
    Most will learn a lot from it too. Particularly why speed limits are in place and defensive techniques.

Did mine about a year ago, with the Herts constabulary; lovely guys and all of them were proper bikers. I was actually a bit apprehensive as my Thruxton R was very loud indeed and sounded like a machine gun on the overrun - they all absolutely loved it, though

Thanks Marcus - this is a good reminder to get mine booked. I did my test late summer '20 and emailed local BikeSafe at the time but was told to get a few miles under me first. I've since done ~10k miles so probably a good time to get it sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Well done Samlack99! I think the Police should introduce a similar course for car drivers.
    Most will learn a lot from it too. Particularly why speed limits are in place and defensive techniques.
    Completely agree. It's unrealistic I know but I'd make all car drivers ride a 125 for a year (or commute by bicycle in all weathers) before taking their test.

Because I drive a bit (or used to at least) on company business I get 'defensive driving' training every 2 years normally with a retired police or fire service driver trainer and have always got something out of them.

They can be excellent, especially for honing your riding and paying attention on vanishing points on unfamiliar roads.

It’s been about 20 years or so for me, but I’ve been on a couple of ride outs.
    It's just a matter of time...

I've been on the waiting list for a little while now. Don't seem to be doing them up my way again yet.
    Hopefully hear something from them soon as really looking forward to it.

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2982 View Post
    I've been on the waiting list for a little while now. Don't seem to be doing them up my way again yet.
    Hopefully hear something from them soon as really looking forward to it.

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk
    I think my wait was 18 months / 2 years and that was pre covid. Our course was 16 people with 8 observers. So whilst the first 8 were out the balance did “Biker Down” led by a paramedic. So say 16 people every other Sunday, its 400 riders max per year and that was all Lancashire .

However its certainly worth the wait.
    Steve

Craftsman
    I've often wondered how different life on a motorcycle would be if it was compulsory for car drivers to spend 'some time' on a motorbike.

Hmm.

And personally, I think the drivers of trucks and large vehicles deserve a medal.

I don't know how the hell they do it.

Especially on the stupidly thin strips of tarmac that pass for roads here in Devon...

Don’t ride a bike any more, but my 5 years spent commuting in central London certainly increased my awareness and subsequent car driving no end. Any training is a good idea imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk