closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TV advice

TV advice

So the time has come to replace our venerable decade-old TV. The living room is (finally) getting a wall of shelves etc. built and we will have room to mount a 55 inch TV on the wall...unfortunately, I've no idea what to buy - which brings me to address the whole pub and ask if anyone has any knowledge of this area?

We basically want the best possible TV that will last us a good few years, and here are the criteria:

1. Cost around 1k
    2. 55 inches

And that's about it. Any advice gratefully received.

Master
    Blog Entries
    There's an age old debate about oled and qled. Generalising massively but oled is the best outright picture especially with contrast and black colour tones, but some suffer screen burn where the sky sports logo will seem to etch the picture. Qled won't do this but the trade off is the picture isn't quite so good with dark images.

4k is pretty standard these days at that price, and most come with seemingly infinite adjustment.

Check out hdtvtest on YouTube, he's very dry and knows everything.

All flat TVs will have crap sound so I'd ignore them in that regard and get a sound bar or connect to your hifi system.

Get the best non OLED Sony TV for your budget.

OLED looks stunning but it is not reliable technology and £1000 will only get you a low brightness 55 inch one.

Craftsman
    If you can...

...Highly recommend Philips 'Ambilight' feature.

Really helps film night to 'Pop'

Thanks all for the thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post

OLED looks stunning but it is not reliable technology and £1000 will only get you a low brightness 55 inch one.
    Is burn-in the main concern with OLEDs?

My next tv will likely be an LG OLED. Nothing has come to to the details of blacks in my experience. I’m currently all Samsung throughout the house, and they are very good - but the OLED was better.

One issue for me is that so many new films/series have lots of night or dark scenes, which are truly awful on television, unless you have fantastic separation between the different blacks.
    It's just a matter of time...

Buy from Richer sounds so you get a six-year warranty is about the limit of my knowledge. Our current TV was bought from them in 2015 and has just died and I noticed today that Samsung has a decent promotion ending at midnight which includes a 5-year warranty, healthy discounts, a trade-in allowance, and a cheap soundbar. It is the best deal going around that I can find so if you are ready to make a snap decision it may be worth a look.

If you have a trade-in, you can get this for not too far your budget.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qled-...e55qn90batxxu/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good point on the warranty, I have the Q85R and had to register for a 5y upgrade. I went qled because I do a lot of gaming, so you need to decide what is best for your content.

I would say if you put the TV facing a window, the Samsung anti reflective is better than any TV or watch for that matter!

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    Is burn-in the main concern with OLEDs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    My next tv will likely be an LG OLED. Nothing has come to to the details of blacks in my experience. I’m currently all Samsung throughout the house, and they are very good - but the OLED was better.
    Our LG OLED is about 7 years old now and is still going strong. No sign of burn-in at all. It’s the best TV that I have ever owned.

OLED all day long. Costco & Richer Sounds recently did a deal for one for £890. Win.

TV advice

My old Panasonic CRT monster was replaced by a Sony 47”-inch 4k LCD after 10 years (2 yrs ago) - mid-priced / low-end at c£400. The one thing that disappoints me every day about the Sony is the long (1-2 minute) delay for it to connect to the internet - and I have 65Mb Ethernet cable plugged in directly. My brother-in-law has the same issue with his (Sony, different 4k model). That plus my YouView function (to rewatch TV on demand from the Guide menu) never works. These issues have put me off buying a Sony TV ever again. As Panasonic (I think) moved focus away from TVs, I’ll likely go Samsung next time. Just my tuppence!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’ve got a 55” LG OLED and I’ve been extremely happy with it. I think we’ve had it for about 3.5 years now. No screen burn, and the picture quality is superb.
    I paid about £1100 for it so it was the lower (lowest) end of the OLED spectrum price wise.

Craftsman
    LG Oled for me too - I bought one a few months back and really pleased. Also have a 3 year old LG Oled downstairs which is excellent too.

the C1 model in 55" should be in your price range - at most, you may have to wait for the next round of deals

The lg 55” c1 is a top rated 2021 tv.
    About £1100 approx now I think. You won’t get a lot better tbh for the price

We have a Sony, a Panasonic and a Hi Sense.

The hi sense uses the Roku platform and we only use it for streaming services, it's also very good to cast to from Apple and Android devices (and Peloton).

Half the price of the others, picture and sound pretty decent and best app of the lot.

The Panasonic, has in my view, the best picture. However, the deal maker on this one for us was the stand it came with. Rather that feet wide apart, it has a central base, so fitted the rooms existing furniture better. Appreciate your putting it on the wall.

The Sony has a great picture, but similar to others experience its WiFi connection is a bit hit and miss. Need to be rebooted every now and then.

To be honest, you'll do just as well to go and have a look at a few and see what you like for your budget, then hunt about for the best deal. In reality there's not much between them. A lot if marketing guff though.

Once it's up it will soon drift into the background and you'll be more than happy with it what ever you choose.

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

My advice is to go to a Richer Sounds that has a demo room. Check out 2 or 3 sets and turn off the 'Dynamic' setting and change it to 'Movie' and ask them to alter the lighting from dark to light.
    That way you'll get a more accurate assessment of picture quality.

We stuck one of these in the Kitchen two years ago, it's a great TV, superb picture and sound and has never missed a beat, I'd recommend it, and there are bargains about

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=lg+c9+o...l_3me4se20fv_e

Master
    Regardless of which you choose, I can second the recommendation about Richer Sounds. Their prices are usually competitive and their warranty is great. I have an Optoma projector that went on the blink just before the warranty was about to expire, so I took it in and they sent it away for repair and also gave me another one to tide me over until it was returned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    The lg 55” c1 is a top rated 2021 tv.
    About £1100 approx now I think. You won’t get a lot better tbh for the price
    £850 with the code here:
    https://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Products...LG/OLED55C16LA