closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tiny spring lost for the alarm, replacement?

Craftsman

Tiny spring lost for the alarm, replacement?

Last year I replaced the battery in my 1980’s Seiko signtable digital watch. Seiko D410 and yes a spring shot out. At the time I had no idea what the spring did and I have only just realised the alarm does not work.
    What can I do to sort this out? Spring from a spring bar?

Thanks or the advice.

Blog Entries
    Have a look at the parts catalog - maybe this can help source what you are looking for:

https://seikoserviceusa.com/uploads/...eets/D410A.pdf
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Awesome, so I need a "buzzer plate terminal"

Master
    I’d say buzzer lead terminal - you could try a spring bar spring cut down

Blog Entries
    I was looking back through TZ and found a relevant conversation

Seems you are not alone OP! #38

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    Now there's a bummer.. I checked the features and they all seem to work as they should...
    except one: The beep doesn't work.
    Does anyone on here know where I can get the beep fixed?
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    If this is like other Seikos of a similar era then the beeper is a flat piezoelectric sounder (it looks like a slightly shiny paper sticker) that is attached to the inside of case back. This will be energised by a tiny spring that connects from a contact point on the module and simply touches the surface of the sounder. The case back acts as the other conductor to complete a circuit.

Note that the spring really will be tiny. Typically they are less than a millimetre in diameter and only a couple of millimetres long.

A very common problem is that the spring gets lost. It can eject itself at high speed when the case back is removed. Sadly, there is no standard spring; each module has a different type of spring and they are very hard to find nowadays. In most cases, however, it is possible to successfully improvise a contact spring using something like a cut down section of the internal spring from a spring bar (or some other spring of similar length and diameter).

Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    You can you do it yourself quite easily.

1) Check first of all that the module has the beeper/sounder arrangement I described. It probably does but it's worth checking.

2) Obtain spring bar and break open to find spring.

3) Open case and find contact hole on back of module.

4) Cut former spring bar spring to length. Insert in hole. It might need something to brace it in the hole if the diameter of your new spring is less than the intended spring.

5) Put case back on.

6) Enjoy beeps.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 18th June 2022 at 23:03.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Blog Entries
    ^^^Just what I was going to say.

Craftsman

It worked, alarm all functional. Yay!
    Interesting to me was that it had to be a thin spring bar, the first I cut open was too wide.
    Secondly, when correctly installed and the back was pressed on, the alarm sounded continuously.
    On pressing all 4 buttons, as described in link (thanks Martyn) and printed on back of the case the alarm stopped and the watch reset itself to 1985.
    I felt 14 again, for a moment, buying the watch in a long gone jewellers after my first Sat job. I also replaced the battery whilst I was at it.

Thanks all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyuk View Post
    Interesting to me was that it had to be a thin spring bar, the first I cut open was too wide.
    Secondly, when correctly installed and the back was pressed on, the alarm sounded continuously.
    On pressing all 4 buttons, as described in link (thanks Martyn) and printed on back of the case the alarm stopped and the watch reset itself to 1985.
    I felt 14 again, for a moment, buying the watch in a long gone jewellers after my first Sat job. I also replaced the battery whilst I was at it.

Thanks all.
    Excellent, well done.

Thanks also for sharing pics.

Quote Originally Posted by wallyuk View Post

Thanks all.
    Steady, that will be a WIS version of "Back to the Future"!

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Master
    Brilliant