closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Reclaim VAT on a new build garage/workshop

Master

Reclaim VAT on a new build garage/workshop

As per my other thread, I'm looking at having a new garage/workshop built, due to the prices that we've been quoted so far by local builders I've decided to go down the route of sourcing materials myself and then just paying for labour to build it.
    I know that it's possible to claim back the VAT on new build homes but am unsure about outbuildings etc, tried looking on various websites but all go a bit confusing.

Certainly used to be that 'add-ons' like conservatories, garages etc had to be built at the same time as the principal building - in order to claim back VAT.

Doubt it has changed, TBH.

Master
    If you are a Vat registered business and the new space is for the business then yes

I am Vat Reg
    Last edited by MCFastybloke; 18th June 2022 at 19:25.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As above. You would have be a VAT registered business and the workshop garage etc would have to be for your business use. Can you say it’s storage and the workshop is to manufacture items. If you cannot satisfy business use forget it.
    Last edited by hilly10; 19th June 2022 at 13:10.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    As above. You would have be a VAT registered business and the workshop garage etc would have to be for your business use. Can you say it’s storage and the workshop is to manufacture items. If you cannot satisfy business use forget it.
    Not sure if the it’s the OP’s home and the planned buildings are personal or business use.

I’m sure the VAT advice so far is correct. The VAT zero rating is for new dwellings, as far as I’m aware.

https://www.gov.uk/vat-builders/new-homes

Master
    Works under section 14 are zero rated, do you have a blue badge?

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    If you are a Vat registered business and the new space is for the business then yes

I am Vat Reg
    If you go this route have an exit plan as that part of the property will not be owned by you, but the company and potentially be subject to CGT.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    If you go this route have an exit plan as that part of the property will not be owned by you, but the company and potentially be subject to CGT.
    Excellent point, and it's not like you can depreciate it year on year .............