closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 0843 & 0845 calls, can they all be blocked?

0843 & 0845 calls, can they all be blocked?

It’s getting worse and worse, possibly because I’ve had the same mobile number for over 25 years, which I can’t really change due to having hundreds of customers who use it.

Yesterday I had 4 calls from these numbers, they usually ring once and hang up, presumably hoping that I call the number back so they can charge me a £10 a second to listen to the recorded message. Very clever, but highly annoying.

I get at least 4 or 5 calls a week now, all from different 0843/0845 numbers, so you can’t block them individually.

I popped into a Vodafone shop to ask if they can block all calls from these prefixes, but they can’t.

Does anyone know of either a network that does have a prefix blocking option? Or an app that can do the job?

Blog Entries
    My Samsung Android phones let me autoreject numbers based on multiple criteria: "Starts with", "Ends with" and "Includes". Therefore I can block entire prefixes if I want.

P.S. Ah, I see that this rather basic feature may have been removed from some versions of Samsung Android. That's helpful, not.

Alternative diallers will probably allow you to reclaim this feature.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've found these calls come in waves - none for a while then one or two a day for a week or so. I never answer them and always block and report as spam - hopefully that helps to reduce the number overall but I don't know for certain.

Since I signed up for the mobile version of TPS I never receive them. I used to get dozens every month.

I’ll find the link and post it in a bit.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Since I signed up for the mobile version of TPS I never receive them. I used to get dozens every month.

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/register/text_to_register

Master
    That was useful, just registered my number as I’ve been getting loads of calls.

Master
    Yes I didn't realise you can do mobile numbers too.

Master

Do you know if this blocks private numbers? My works office, which often calls me, is a private number that doesn't show up on systems. Still need to be able to receive calls from it but would love to sign up to TPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Do you know if this blocks private numbers? My works office, which often calls me, is a private number that doesn't show up on systems. Still need to be able to receive calls from it but would love to sign up to TPS.
    It will only be spam marketing calls that are stopped. It doesn't block numbers per se, but once on the register it's illegal for a company to cold call you.

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is the UK’s only official ‘Do Not Call’ register for landlines and Mobile numbers. It allows people and businesses to opt out of unsolicited live sales and marketing calls.

It’s free and quick to register a telephone number. Doing so will reduce the amount of unwanted sales and marketing calls you receive. There is also a register for businesses, the Corporate Telephone Preference Service.

If a number is registered with the TPS/CTPS, organisations are legally required – by the Privacy and Electronic (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 – to refrain from calling it. In the UK, the Information Commissioner’s Office enforces the law and has power to fine firms that break it.

Organisations are required to screen against TPS/CTPS at least once every 28 days,

Master
    Been a 'member' (?) of TPS for years, best thing I signed up for as used to get so many calls.

Thanks for the TPS tip, I’d not realised you could register a mobile.

I read that O2 we’re looking into offering a total block on prefixes, but can’t find any info about it now, which is why I posted this topic.

I’d have switched to O2 in a flash if it was a feature they offered.

It will only be spam marketing calls that are stopped. It doesn't block numbers per se, but once on the register it's illegal for a company to cold call you.
    That may deter the legitimate marketing companies who are based in the UK from calling, but there are many ways around this.

The vast majority of spam calls originate from oversea, and are using VoIP, so they can set the Caller ID Presentation (the number that comes up on your handset) to be whatever they like. I've received calls purportedly from numbers that are just one digit different to my own mobile's number - their hope is that you glance at the number, think "oh, that looks familiar" and so answer it. They will also use a local dialling code when calling landlines (again, because people are more likely to answer a call that looks local).

The UK-based companies will claim that they are doing a "survey" or something similar, so that it's not a "marketing" call.

Personally, I rarely answer calls from unknown numbers. If the caller really wants to contact me, then they can leave me a Voicemail or send me a text message.

Craftsman
    Thanks, really useful advice.

Excellent, my wife seems to get loads of these calls, which often are flagged up a "scam" or somesuch thing. She's convinced she is being targeted, but my explanations of the way it goes doesn't seem to allay her fears. I will get this done for her . Many thanks from me , oh, and her..

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    [COLOR=#000080]That may deter the legitimate marketing companies who are based in the UK from calling, but there are many ways around this.

The vast majority of spam calls originate from oversea, and are using VoIP, so they can set the Caller ID Presentation (the number that comes up on your handset) to be whatever they like. I've received calls purportedly from numbers that are just one digit different to my own mobile's number - their hope is that you glance at the number, think "oh, that looks familiar" and so answer it. They will also use a local dialling code when calling landlines (again, because people are more likely to answer a call that looks local).

The UK-based companies will claim that they are doing a "survey" or something similar, so that it's not a "marketing" call.
    Maybe. All I know is that I signed up about 6 years ago and have received approx. 4 spam calls in that time. It works.

Done.
    And thank you for the tip.

I've received some random Chinese thing's recently. Adverts by the sound of them, annoying things

Sent from a technical device.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Tell them your number has changed. It's now 1470, followed by your old number. This will show their caller ID when they ring you, and you can block calls from withheld numbers. I use 'Calls Blacklist' on Android.

There is no good reason for any company to withold the number that they are calling from. If they don't want you to be able to call back on that number, fine, set the caller ID to the number of their main switchboard. Withholding is a clear indicator of laziness and/or incompetence, or of course a cold caller or scammer.