closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 'All Binos' revised binoculars testing criteria & their revised 'brand rankings'

'All Binos' revised binoculars testing criteria & their revised 'brand rankings'

https://www.allbinos.com/181.1-artic...inoculars.html. ... brand performance rankings are for higher end models ... RHS column shows revised rankings.

Please bear in mind there are many other brands/models which Allbinos have not yet fully tested ... but their website https://www.allbinos.com might offer specifications and brief appraisals/ratings in the Binoculars section ... as distinct from their Reviews section.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 18th June 2022 at 10:36.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Is that the website for people with a congenital absence of pigment in the skin and hair?

Thanks, great info on the comparisons but all tip top of the range gear, would be great to see a few budget offerings.

A few months ago I bought a pair of Celestron binoculars for my daughter (she's a keen twitcher) I think they were 10x32. I'm supremely impressed by them. Were about £100

I stopped spending huge money on anything Im likely to loose or break a while back.

Years ago (+20yr ago) when I was in the merchant navy black gang the stargazers had big money binoculars that weighed a tonne and were so-so and I reckon the modern gear is light years ahead

Thanks for the heads up, not come across that site before. Of course I had to go for some 9x32 bins that wouldn't fit any of those tables...

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, not come across that site before. Of course I had to go for some 9x32 bins that wouldn't fit any of those tables...
    Which make / model?

Master
    Blog Entries

Binoculars for beginner - my daughter

Hi guys

Daughter has declared an interest in distance viewing of birds and general wildlife and would like a set of binoculars.

I know nothing about such kit as I was always just given a pair and made do. So, I would welcome a steer and recommendation please for sub £100 bins. She might not keep the interest for too long.

Anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Best to visit a dealer and try several different 7x and 8x magnification binos and ascertain which models she's happy with. However, it's not just a matter of picking up the binocular and trying to focus. The interocular distance (adjusted via the hinge angle) needs adjusting for each user's eyes as does the diopter adjustment. Unless both are adjusted optimally the observer cannot see a sharp and 3 dimensional image without any overlap. Best to not buy 10x or higher magnification which liable to 'image shake' if used handheld . You get what you pay for but a beginner should be able to find a bino for under £100 - but will be Chinese manufacture. 90% of all binos are made in a few Chinese factories and most are 'badge engineered' as different makes / models. Very important to 'try before you buy' to avoid disappointment. Most Opticron and Viking models should be OK. The problem with Chinese binos is the inconsistent quality control and the risk of buying an instrument which is 'out of collimation' - which means impossible to form a circular image when the centre hinge is adjusted to suit the observer's interocular distance (the distance between their eyes).

If your daughter wears glasses, try the bino without wearing glasses and adjust the diopter dial on the RH eyepiece to suit her eyes. If your daughter needs to wear glasses whilst observing, choose a bino with 'long eye relief' i.e with eyepieces having in excess of 16mm eye relief. The eye relief can be adjusted by folding back or twisting back the rubber eyecups.

If you cannot visit a dealer, buy online from a reputable dealer who can advise you online.

Please do not be tempted to by ZOOM binoculars- they are usually impossible to collimate correctly throughout the zoom range - even though some TZ UK members use them and think they're OK

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 25th November 2022 at 20:41.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Best to visit a dealer and try several different 7x and 8x magnification binos and ascertain which models she's happy with. However, it's not just a matter of picking up the binocular and trying to focus. The interocular distance (adjusted via the hinge angle) needs adjusting for each user's eyes as does the diopter adjustment. Unless both are adjusted optimally the observer cannot see a sharp and 3 dimensional image without any overlap. Best to not buy 10x or higher magnification which liable to 'image shake' if used handheld . You get what you pay for but a beginner should be able to find a bino for under £100 - but will be Chinese manufacture. 90% of all binos are made in a few Chinese factories and most are 'badge engineered' as different makes / models. Very important to 'try before you buy' to avoid disappointment. Most Opticron and Viking models should be OK. The problem with Chinese binos is the inconsistent quality control and the risk of buying an instrument which is 'out of collimation' - which means impossible to form a circular image when the centre hinge is adjusted to suit the observer's interocular distance (the distance between their eyes).

If your daughter wears glasses, try the bino without wearing glasses and adjust the diopter dial on the RH eyepiece to suit her eyes. If your daughter needs to wear glasses whilst observing, choose a bino with 'long eye relief' i.e with eyepieces having in excess of 16mm eye relief. The eye relief can be adjusted by folding back or twisting back the rubber eyecups.

If you cannot visit a dealer, buy online from a reputable dealer who can advise you online.

Please do not be tempted to by ZOOM binoculars- they are usually impossible to collimate correctly throughout the zoom range - even though some TZ UK members use them and think they're OK

dunk
    Brilliant dunk! Thank you.

If only if known all that many years ago.

I recall being issued a pair of image stabilisation bins in the early/mid 90s. Awesome kit and things have moved on.

Really grateful and to those who wrote privately.

Jim

PS:

Forgot to mntion: Please do not buy 'focus free' binoculars. They cannot focus at all distances

Shame they don’t test <30mm objectives.

I'd definitely back up the 'go and try' suggestion, I ended up going for a Pentax 9x32 pair which I don't think would be the result of any Google search.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Shame they don’t test <30mm objectives.
    They do list <30mm objective models