closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Orleans within a 10 day US road trip of The South - itinerary?

Red face New Orleans within a 10 day US road trip of The South - itinerary?

Dear All, the wife and I want to visit New Orleans this September as part of a 10-day US holiday.

Any suggested itinerary? What are the 'must see' towns/sights in the Deep South?

How long in New Orleans itself?

All advice and input appreciated! :)

We spent 3 nights there during a tour which also took in Nashville and Memphis. Stayed in a great hotel called Peter & Paul if I remember correctly … walking distance into the night life centre but far enough away not to be disturbed.

you of course need to witness Bourbon Street , if not actually participate depending on your personal prefs.

We enjoyed a very touristy swamp tour with the obligatory Crocs and wild boars. A walk round the one of the graveyards was memorable, and we also drove out to the Whitney Plantation, which diverges from the other romantic tours in that it focuses on the life of the slaves that fueled them - it was a fascinating and humbling tour and our guide was incredibly knowledgeable.

https://www.whitneyplantation.org/

http://hotelpeterandpaul.com/

Done loads of road trips over the years, including around New Orleans.

While New Orleans is great to spend a couple of days, I would say the wider area is bang average.

So many nicer road trips to do in the US. if you haven’t done them.

However, if you are set on the area and fancy a couple of days relaxing in a nice hotel by the beach, I can recommend the Destin area of the Florida Panhandle about 3 hours from New Orleans.

It was where Jaws was filmed and has some of the most beautiful beaches in the US. Fine white sand and emerald sea.

Don’t forget September is peak hurricane season.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

While New Orleans is great to spend a couple of days, I would say the wider area is bang average.

However, if you are set on the area and fancy a couple of days relaxing in a nice hotel by the beach, I can recommend the Destin area of the Florida Panhandle about 3 hours from New Orleans.

It was where Jaws was filmed and has some of the most beautiful beaches in the US. Fine white sand and emerald sea.

I can recommend Destin also (you must have done a similar road trip as me) it was actually where jaws 2 was filmed also, nearby is a town called seaside, where parts of the Truman show was filmed.
    Last edited by Toad monitor; 17th June 2022 at 10:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    I can recommend Destin also (you must have done a similar road trip as me) it was actually where jaws 2 was filmed also, nearby is a town called seaside, where parts of the Truman show was filmed.
    There’s a huge military base a few miles from Destin called Fort Walton Beach.

My Aunt married a GI who was stationed in Warrington after the war.

He then went on to service F-15s for Mcdonell Douglas so they were stationed over the world, but spent the last 15 years in FWB and then retired in the area.

My other Aunt who also married a GI and went to live in upstate New York also retired around Destin for the nice climate and to be around her sister.

I spent the entire 1986 summer out there farting around the beach and jet skiing the lakes and my uncle had a speed boat, but I have not been back in a long time.

My Dad and his brothers still visit often although even that is dropping off as the are in their late 70s and early 80s.

I've spent quite a lot of time in the US and have been all over. Loved Louisiana. The US is so vast that a lot of it gets quite samey, so I suspect visiting the other cities like Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Lake Charles etc wont add much to the trip over and above New Orleans. My memories of the place are more of wandering round small places like Creole, alligator spotting and drinking apple pie moonshine in the local bars.

Craftsman

Another similar place, and on the way to Destin from New Orleans, is Pensacola. Old Town Pensacola is a lovely place. Huge naval aviation museum there too, containing some very impressive stuff! It is where the Blue Angels, the American equivalent of the Red Arrows, practice.

Also, if you do that drive and like BBQ food, stop at a little place in the middle of nowhere in Mississippi called The Shed BBQ and Blues Joint. A local recommended it to me saying it'll be the best BBQ I'll ever eat. He wasn't wrong.

Baton Rouge and Lafayette are worthwhile stops, as previously mentioned.

Master
    There’s a huge military base a few miles from Destin called Fort Walton Beach.

My Aunt married a GI who was stationed in Warrington after the war.

He then went on to service F-15s for Mcdonell Douglas so they were stationed over the world, but spent the last 15 years in FWB and then retired in the area.

My other Aunt who also married a GI and went to live in upstate New York also retired around Destin for the nice climate and to be around her sister.

I spent the entire 1986 summer out there farting around the beach and jet skiing the lakes and my uncle had a speed boat, but I have not been back in a long time.

My Dad and his brothers still visit often although even that is dropping off as the are in their late 70s and early 80s.
    Me and the Mrs spent two weeks at Fort Walton beach on a 2 month road trip in 2002 to see family in Oklahoma. Some of the best beaches and restaurants we have ever visited. Would love to move there one day, great place.

Thanks Guys. Much appreciated!