closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Import charges question

Import charges question

I bought a watch from Japan and expected to pay about £150.00 import charges.

It arrived today via DHL with no notification of charges, I chose to collect it from the local depot as I knew I wouldn't be in when it was ready for delivery. As I had no notification I assumed I would probably be asked to pay on collection but nothing, they never asked for anything.
    I took it outside and checked the paperwork and although it mentions the price I think it has been sent as my own personal belongings so no charges.
    Am I reading this correctly or should I expect a delayed bill.

Sent from a technical device.

I don’t know what the answer is in this case but last time I had something from DHL the invoice followed about a month later. It surprised me as they have always demanded payment prior to delivery before and the bill was over £1k.

I know FedEx charge after delivery, give it a week or so and you will probably get the bill.

I've had a few imports and always paid as soon as it arrived, even about a month ago but that was with UPS. it's just the wording on the paperwork that has me thinking they might of fudged it a bit.

Reason for export: Personal, Not for resale
    Type of export: Personal belongings /Not for resale

Last edited by sickie; 16th June 2022 at 19:27.

On all personal DHL imports they have refused to release items until I have paid them.

But in work, we bring a lot in with DHL each week, and at the moment they seem to be retrospectively clearing items that were actually delivered to us a few weeks ago?

I thought the sender may have sent it to you on a DDP basis. But it clearly says receiver pays on the commercial invoice, so I’d imagine the bill will follow soon via email or post from DHL.

Quote Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
    On all personal DHL imports they have refused to release items until I have paid them.

But in work, we bring a lot in with DHL each week, and at the moment they seem to be retrospectively clearing items that were actually delivered to us a few weeks ago?

I thought the sender may have sent it to you on a DDP basis. But it clearly says receiver pays on the commercial invoice, so I’d imagine the bill will follow soon via email or post from DHL.
    I guess it's a waiting game now, it was just the reason for export that has me thinking.

Craftsman
    My experience with DHL, FedEx and UPS has been hugely variable, with DHL usually sending duty payment details on arrival in the UK, before delivery. However, I have had a couple where there has been no demand before delivery and then invoice for payment in one case four weeks after delivery and the other two months later. So I'd set aside the duty for three months before thinking it's been swerved.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDSSD View Post
    My experience with DHL, FedEx and UPS has been hugely variable, with DHL usually sending duty payment details on arrival in the UK, before delivery. However, I have had a couple where there has been no demand before delivery and then invoice for payment in one case four weeks after delivery and the other two months later. So I'd set aside the duty for three months before thinking it's been swerved.
    I'll just put it to one side for 3 month's I guess.
    I thought maybe 3 or 4 weeks but after you're experience, 3 months it is.

I had a package a month or so ago from Aus that I'm pretty sure was DHL. Thought I'd escaped the dreaded import tax but a month later got hit with the bill via email.. .….. "bugger!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    I know FedEx charge after delivery, give it a week or so and you will probably get the bill.
    FedEx always charge me when the item lands in the UK, and won’t release it until it’s been paid.

The two times I had a delivery from outside the EU with DHL, the invoice followed a week later.

Weirdly, it always got sent to my company’s accounts department in Bristol and they used to get in touch with a snotty email.

I’m not sure why DHL took it upon themselves to bill the company and not me directly, simply because the company name was in the address? Just send it to the same person at the same address you just delivered to!

Blog Entries
    If my calcs are right 115,788 JPY you may be getting a bill of about £200 at some point (I work on basis of 30% - which includes postage, admin fees, and VAT)
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    Last one I got via dhl took five weeks for payment to be made.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just look out for dodgy invoices via email like i got. my parcel from japan via DHL was delivedered 15th may so plenty of time for them to get in touch.

Does the VAT invoice always come from the delivery company? and has anyone ever escaped it?

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Just look out for dodgy invoices via email like i got. my parcel from japan via DHL was delivedered 15th may so plenty of time for them to get in touch.

Does the VAT invoice always come from the delivery company? and has anyone ever escaped it?
    I think DHL, FedEx et al always collect. Royal Mail stuff is hit and miss.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If my calcs are right 115,788 JPY you may be getting a bill of about £200 at some point (I work on basis of 30% - which includes postage, admin fees, and VAT)
    It was free shipping so just the 20% plus handling charge. Maybe £155.00 to £160.00 at most but I'll not know until a bill arrives.

It was £706.00 at the time of purchase.

Just an update.
    I just checked the tracking to see if anything had changed and the import charges were showing.

It's only 2 day's since I collected it so at least I didn't have to wait anywhere from week's to month's for the invoice.

Journeyman
    Is the really important question here “what did you buy?”
    I recently had a Seiko from Japan by DHL and I had to pay the bill before they would deliver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said at the start it was a watch but for clarification it was a Longines hydroconquest.

This one.
    I totally overpaid because of the import charges but couldn't find one anywhere that was cheaper or in better condition, almost as good as new.
    Plus after 6 month's or so of looking, I just bit the bullet. It's not like I'm going to be selling it any time soon

Master
    I'm pondering a cheapie at the moment and import charges could make a big difference. My reading of the gov.uk info is that below £135 vat will be included in sale price and no import tax is due. I'm looking at a Heimdallr monster that is about £131 give or take depending on exchange rate (coming from China, asking price in dollars). What's my chances of getting it at that and not getting stung? I'm unsure what exchange rate they use, probably not Google's, and is it the rate at time sent or time it hits customs or? I can see a small exchange rate change costing me 20% plus fees...£40-50, and suddenly a value cheapie is not as attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    I'm pondering a cheapie at the moment and import charges could make a big difference. My reading of the gov.uk info is that below £135 vat will be included in sale price and no import tax is due. I'm looking at a Heimdallr monster that is about £131 give or take depending on exchange rate (coming from China, asking price in dollars). What's my chances of getting it at that and not getting stung? I'm unsure what exchange rate they use, probably not Google's, and is it the rate at time sent or time it hits customs or? I can see a small exchange rate change costing me 20% plus fees...£40-50, and suddenly a value cheapie is not as attractive.
    Yes I've been in similar situation before and decided to give it a miss as too close to the limit and unsure how the exchange rate could have tipped over the edge.

I don't think you'll get any solid answer on that one but I wouldn't risk it being so close to the limit on a foreign currency personally.

Glad to know the exact charges for importing from Japan, watches in Japan seem ot be cheaper than the rest of the world at the moment both on Chrono24 and eBay

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    Last one I got via dhl took five weeks for payment to be made.
    DHL
    same here, invoice arrived weeks later and the DHL payment system is a pain. In my case I had to register and have an account (DHL mybill) to make payments.

FedEx
    My experience here was that I had to pay VAT up front before they would deliver (from Switzerland, so no import duty). I bought from a shop/dealer, so they took off the 7% Swiss VAT at source.
    Last edited by Rich; 18th June 2022 at 13:04.

Quote Originally Posted by zecko View Post
    Glad to know the exact charges for importing from Japan, watches in Japan seem ot be cheaper than the rest of the world at the moment both on Chrono24 and eBay
    That's why I bought it from Japan.
    Some we're on both eBay and Chrono24 but Chrono24 are cheaper.
    Must be because of the selling fee's being cheaper than eBay.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    DHL
    same here, invoice arrived weeks later and the DHL payment system is a pain. In my case I had to register and have an account (DHL mybill) to make payments.

FedEx
    My experience here was that I had to pay VAT up front before they would deliver (from Switzerland, so no import duty). I bought from a shop/dealer, so they took off the 7% Swiss VAT at source.
    I went old school,sent a cheque.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    My reading of the gov.uk info is that below £135 vat will be included in sale price and no import tax is due. I'm looking at a Heimdallr monster that is about £131 give or take depending on exchange rate (coming from China, asking price in dollars).
    The information on the gov.uk site is HMRC's view of the universe. However, in order for VAT to be pre-charged on orders below £135, it requires the non-UK vendor (or the marketplace they sell through such as eBay or AliExpress) to have signed up with HMRC's scheme. Unsurprisingly, not all vendors worldwide have signed up with the scheme.

And so, even on purchases below £135, it is possible to be charged VAT at the time of import if the vendor is not signed up! Or items can come through (exactly as they traditionally did from China and Hong Kong) with an incorrect or even absent customs declaration, in which case they'll usually come through VAT-free.

So check with your vendor as to what they actually do.

Master
    Thanks markr, I can imagine poorly completed documentation being a problem. Comms with the seller aren't great, they've ignored a question I asked about the dial. Another reason to ignore this seller.