closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tag Quartz Battery Change

Craftsman

Tag Quartz Battery Change

I pulled this lovely little Quartz Tag out of the drawer the other day and noticed it needed a new battery. Knowing I was going to be passing a Timpsons and also knowing that I didn’t need anything special I took it with me expecting to pay no more than £20 or so. I just about fell over when the chap quoted me £90 for a battery and reseal.

Can anyone give me any more budget friendly suggestions to get this going again?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    I pulled this lovely little Quartz Tag out of the drawer the other day and noticed it needed a new battery. Knowing I was going to be passing a Timpsons and also knowing that I didn’t need anything special I took it with me expecting to pay no more than £20 or so. I just about fell over when the chap quoted me £90 for a battery and reseal.

Can anyone give me any more budget friendly suggestions to get this going again?

One of my friends has just been bumped to to manager (if that's a real thing in a one-man store??) of a Timpsons branch. He often sends me pictures of estimates they give for watches... the overpriced batteries mainly! Absolute joke. Find yourself a little independent, definitely. Battery should be a fiver, certainly no more than ten. Reseal, with guarantee, probably another £15-£20 on top.

Blog Entries
    I was going to suggest what was formerly called Watches To Go in Piccadilly Circus tube station but if you're in Scotland that might be a bit far to go.

Why not DIY?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I was going to suggest what was formerly called Watches To Go in Piccadilly Circus tube station but if you're in Scotland that might be a bit far to go.

Why not DIY?
    A tad far I’m afraid but thanks for the reply.

I did briefly think about DIY but I have neither the battery, tools nor confidence in my ability to try it!

A tad far I’m afraid but thanks for the reply.

I did briefly think about DIY but I have neither the battery, tools nor confidence in my ability to try it!
    Plenty of YouTube tutorials,once you've done it you'll wonder why you never tried before. If I can swap out the four batteries of a Casio Man on Fire anyone can do it.

Blog Entries
    Oh well, if you don't have the confidence in your abilities then so be it.

The tools and battery are easily available though should you fancy trying. :-)

I know you said you don’t think you are capable but it’s one of the simplest jobs you can do
    EBay has a load of cheap tools / case back openers the 2 prong ones work fine.
    Batteries can be bought for a couple of quid
    A bit of silicon grease on the rubber gasket before you tighten it all up and you are good to go
    The only thing you must not do is touch the coil with anything metal.
    If you can change a strap you can change a battery.
    You will save ££££££ in the long run

Master
    Bit OT but I wore one of these on a bracelet for many years, late nineties, and adored it. I look at it now beside my 47mm PAM sub and it looks minute.
    Edit to add a local jeweller did battery changes for me at a fiver a pop. No waterproof guarantee tho.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    DIY is fine for some, but I’ve had a few sent to me where attempts at battery swaps or regulation have gone wrong.

I’m happy to do this one but the cost of return postage becomes considerable (£8.50 each way RMSD) .

PM me if interested, I can pressure test it to 6 bar and check the seals are OK

Craftsman
    I had the battery on my SEL from 1997 replaced by a local jeweller for around £25.

I avoid Timpsons at all costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know if it’s still the case but Timpsons used to have a list of brands and a different price for all. Same battery, same work done but the price is determined by the name on the dial. They wanted £50 from me to change the battery in my grandads old Mappin & Webb watch, completely worthless to anyone but me but the list said Mappin & Webb was high end, local jeweller charged a fiver.

Definitely shop around local independents if you can't/won't change it yourself.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This guy sorted a few tags for me at a great price https://www.primetimewatchrepairs.co.uk/