closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vat invoice

Master
    Blog Entries

Vat invoice

Hi folks. I've had an email off vatinvoice@emspay.eu is this legit?

Probably not. What are they invoicing you for ?

Have you ordered anything from the EU recently?

I still doubt it's legit. VAT is either paid at source at time of purchase, or paid to HMRC on the goods' arrival in the UK.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought a watch from sakura Japan about a month ago. I have not opened the attached file to the email incase it's dodgy.
    This is the first time I've ordered from abroad so not sure how it works. This email though is saying I owe $38.400. which seems a bit steep for a Casio.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I bought a watch from sakura Japan about a month ago. I have not opened the attached file to the email incase it's dodgy.
    This is the first time I've ordered from abroad so not sure how it works. This email though is saying I owe $38.400. which seems a bit steep for a Casio.
    Pretty sure VAT wouldn't be charged in dollars. As I recall, to be a legitimate VAT invoice it requires to meet certain criteria. I'm not sure what they all are but I think it should describe the product or service being charged for, show the amount charged as VAT, the percentage rate charged as VAT (eg on a £100 purchase "VAT at 20% = £20.00"), the VAT Registration Number (VRN) of the trader charging the VAT & the date & tax point of the transaction (tax point being when the sale was made & the liability to VAT arises).
    DISCLAIMER: I'm NOT an expert but a quick Google will probably tell you, or a call to HMRC.

Before opening any attachment, look at the email for sign of legitimacy: does it address you by name and mention any specifics that ring any bells? If not then I wouldn't be opening any attachment. Some are clever enough to extract a name if its part of your email. Best approach is to bin it and if its important no doubt they'll be back in touch

Master
    Got to be a scam. Here’s the gov page outlining the process. Seller or delivery company collects vat.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Vat invoice

If it’s really from emspay.eu, that is a genuine company.

https://emspay.eu

Sound shady….
    Get in touch with the actual EMS (abn amro) via there contact, not the link, to check?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Before opening any attachment, look at the email for sign of legitimacy: does it address you by name and mention any specifics that ring any bells? If not then I wouldn't be opening any attachment. Some are clever enough to extract a name if its part of your email. Best approach is to bin it and if its important no doubt they'll be back in touch
    Because the email has blocked images for security it doesn't show much. It does address my name but that's in my email. It also says the word after my name which is not my name. If that makes sense. So let's say the first part of my email is John and then after it is castle. It says dear johncastle to address me.
    There is no mention of what was purchased. Obviously I do not know what's on the attached link.

^^^ yes I get the same and that is definitely a scam

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I wouldn’t trust it. Get in touch with the company direct.

It also says the word after my name which is not my name. If that makes sense. So let's say the first part of my email is John and then after it is castle. It says dear johncastle to address me.
    That's the smoking gun right there. Definitely a scam.

Craftsman
    A lot of red flags here.
    I would strongly advise not opening the file sent as it will probably be malicious.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've not had these before ordering from sakura. Since that i have had scam UPS delivery email and now I assume a scam VAT invoice. Not saying Sakura are dodgy. Just wonder how scammers know that I've ordered from abroad. Could my email be hacked?

Master
    People don’t hack your email to send you emails. They have harvested the email address somehow and mounting a targeted phishing attempt. Any link in the chain could be compromised to get the details. Go MFA on everything you can just to be safer.

How would MFA stop email harvesting?

Master
    I would imagine he's talking about where the email is used to log on to.

Craftsman
    I've not had these before ordering from sakura. Since that i have had scam UPS delivery email and now I assume a scam VAT invoice. Not saying Sakura are dodgy. Just wonder how scammers know that I've ordered from abroad. Could my email be hacked?
    They don't, it's just phishing and lucky timing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    How would MFA stop email harvesting?
    Sorry. It obvs wouldn’t. Just good general practice.

Who actually delivered the item?
    If it's UPS for instance or Royal mail you would be contacted before delivery usually.

Also you can hover over the link or drop down arrow in the email and if it shows a different email it is most likely a scam.

Sent from a technical device.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Who actually delivered the item?
    If it's UPS for instance or Royal mail you would be contacted before delivery usually.

Also you can hover over the link or drop down arrow in the email and if it shows a different email it is most likely a scam.

It was DHL. Not tried that as only looked on my phone.

It was DHL. Not tried that as only looked on my phone.
    Even on a phone, can press sender and will give you actual email address.

As said above, if not actually from emspay.eu it's spam.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Even on a phone, can press sender and will give you actual email address.

As said above, if not actually from emspay.eu it's spam.
    Can't see anywhere that says sender but if I press the heading it comes up underneath exactly what I put in the op .

Vat invoice

Can't see anywhere that says sender but if I press the heading it comes up underneath exactly what I put in the op .
    Maybe different on Android. On iPhone if I click on an email sender, e.g. here ostensibly a Kathy Murphy, shows this (and clearly spam):-

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Maybe different on Android. On iPhone if I click on an email sender, e.g. here ostensibly a Kathy Murphy, shows this (and clearly spam):-

I see. I'm on Android but like I say. I press on it and it comes up with exactly what I put in the op.

I see. I'm on Android but like I say. I press on it and it comes up with exactly what I put in the op.
    If you try 'reply' (obviously w/o sending anything) do you see same email address?

Either way if it was DHL it would be DHL collecting the import tax and handling fee.

Import taxes if not already pre paid will be collected by the delivering company.