closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 27 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,350 of 4462

Thread: Premier League 2022 - 23

I think Spurs fans feel Poch and Conte would probably give them very similar 'success' (4th place finishes) but they'd enjoy watching their team a hell of a lot more under Poch.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Poch back to Spurs? Yes please.

Serial title winner…oh wait…Ligue 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Fair points Tony. I think the issue is going to be that Spurs fans will accept that but Conte won’t. He definitely sees himself as a serial trophy winner so if he doesn’t think that’ll be the progression he’ll be off.
    Conte won't be happy with that, but should surely shoulder the responsibility? He's been back substantially by the club and had more power than previous managers. He's got what he asked for - so now he needs to win.

Arsenal were extremely lucky to win v Leeds, but every team gets those results in a season and in this game it was Aaron Ramsdale who was the star as opposed to Odegaard or Jesus. We've invested all over the pitch to deal with games exactly like this one, where a Plan B is required. Even City and Liverpool have scraped single-goal away wins where they've been under the cosh in title-winning seasons. City at the Emirates last season a case in point. Benefited from arguably soft referee decisions and showed grit and determination to get the win against a team playing better than them.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Thrilling game last night at Anfield.

Although Liverpool dominated the first half it changed a bit when Darwin went off ( he was superb) and we looked brilliant in the second, looking like scoring only for Bowen to screw up our pen!

Seriously, since Noble retired we haven't had a solid pen taker and it's pretty alarming. I think Benni, Lanz or even Scamacca could have made a much better effort.

Still, losing 1-0 away to Liverpool is no disgrace but a draw would have been better!
    i thought that late chance was in, Milner saved the day, west ham were very good in the second half, it was a decent game to watch to be fair.

I think Spurs fans feel Poch and Conte would probably give them very similar 'success' (4th place finishes) but they'd enjoy watching their team a hell of a lot more under Poch.
    I disagree. Under Poch we had 2nd and 3rd place finishes, and indeed should probably have won the title on one of those occasions. We also reached a CL final which we could have won - we had a horrible penalty decision against us a few minutes in, and Liverpool were so abject that they were there for the taking

That was with no financial backing for Poch whatsoever, and a wider gulf than at present between our squad strength & depth and those of City/Liverpool/Chelsea.

Similar achievements is what I meant Tony, not restricting it to 4th place. I should have explained that a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I disagree. Under Poch we had 2nd and 3rd place finishes, and indeed should probably have won the title on one of those occasions. We also reached a CL final which we could have won - we had a horrible penalty decision against us a few minutes in, and Liverpool were so abject that they were there for the taking

That was with no financial backing for Poch whatsoever, and a wider gulf than at present between our squad strength & depth and those of City/Liverpool/Chelsea.

With Arsenal beating PSV tonight they are now the only English team in history to remain unbeaten under a Prime Minister's entire term in office

How long do Villa give Stevie G - not looking good.

Surely Poch wouldn’t go to Villa? Isn’t Steve Bruce more their level?
    Last year Pochettino had everyone believing Messi was finished and now he's supposed to get that Villa side playing? He managed to not win Ligue 1 with that PSG team which is borderline impossible.

Gone

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62775410

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

"Calling Sean Dyche..."

…We also reached a CL final which we could have won - we had a horrible penalty decision against us a few minutes in..
    19 seconds in as I recall (still hurts)

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    19 seconds in as I recall (still hurts)
    Indeed it was, and yes it does!

Craftsman
    Been sacked now. Wonder where he’ll end up next, his Villa record quite middling.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchmanuk4 View Post
    Been sacked now. Wonder where he’ll end up next, his Villa record quite middling.
    And the guy who was supposedly the brains behind Gerrard has taken QPR top of the championship and is in much demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchmanuk4 View Post
    I guess Liverpool will no longer be viewing him as the longer term heir apparent when Klopp eventually moves on.

The BBC states that TT has already turned down two PL clubs since being sacked by Chelsea, but doesn’t say who they are.

Craftsman
    I guess Liverpool will no longer be viewing him as the longer term heir apparent when Klopp eventually moves on.

The BBC states that TT has already turned down two PL clubs since being sacked by Chelsea, but doesn’t say who they are.
    Certainly wouldn’t go straight from Villa and Rangers to Liv you’d think.

It'll be interesting to see where Tuchel goes next. He's a top coach who was booted out of Chelsea far too early. Villa's swim-lane is the likes of Dyche. I'm seeing odds on people like Emery, Poch and Tuchel. I'll state this now and admit if I'm wrong later; none of those three managers or any other of their calibre will go to Villa. Villa had a good side for a while in the 80s and have claimed to be a 'big club' ever since. They aren't.

"Calling Sean Dyche..."
    I believe the Conservatives are already in talks with Mr Dyche...

Master
    It'll be interesting to see where Tuchel goes next. He's a top coach who was booted out of Chelsea far too early. Villa's swim-lane is the likes of Dyche. I'm seeing odds on people like Emery, Poch and Tuchel. I'll state this now and admit if I'm wrong later; none of those three managers or any other of their calibre will go to Villa. Villa had a good side for a while in the 80s and have claimed to be a 'big club' ever since. They aren't.
    Villa have money and are prepared to spend it, you might be surprised.

Craftsman
    Don't you just love to "experts"

https://twitter.com/randallbell/status/1583187217002147840?t=Z1M5b5TbvJQZIZooX75XRg&s=08

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

I may well be, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Villa have money and are prepared to spend it, you might be surprised.

They've probably always been the biggest club in the midlands with quite a bit of competition in the area.

History counts.

Just from Google:-

Villa have won the Football League First Division seven times, the FA Cup seven times, the League Cup five times, and the European (UEFA) Super Cup once. The club is currently ranked 5th in the all-time English top flight table, since its creation in 1888.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    They've probably always been the biggest club in the midlands with quite a bit of competition in the area.

History counts.

Just from Google:-

Villa have won the Football League First Division seven times, the FA Cup seven times, the League Cup five times, and the European (UEFA) Super Cup once. The club is currently ranked 5th in the all-time English top flight table, since its creation in 1888.
    Of course Villa are a big club , currently and historically .
    Bizarre to suggest otherwise.

Villa had a great team in the early 80s - as a youngster I remember them fighting it out with Ipswich for the First Division title and then winning the European Cup.

I disagree. No recent success, very little international presence (if any) and never going to be a club that top coaches aspire to managing.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Of course Villa are a big club , currently and historically .
    Bizarre to suggest otherwise.

Craftsman
    I disagree. No recent success, very little international presence (if any) and never going to be a club that top coaches aspire to managing.
    Just look at Manchester City and Chelsea prior to takeovers, drifting nowhere. Any team can become global given the funds and the exposure that success on the field gives.

I completely agree but we're talking about now.

Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    Just look at Manchester City and Chelsea prior to takeovers, drifting nowhere. Any team can become global given the funds and the exposure that success on the field gives.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    Chelsea finished 4th just before takeover, and hadn't finished outside the top 6 since the mid '90s.
    Granted, they weren't actually challenging for the title in any of that time, but they were hardly drifting around mid-table obscurity.

Go on then , I’ll ask
    Are Newcastle a big club ?

I’ve always disliked this talk of big clubs . Every PL club is , by its very definition, a big club . Historically, winning things means very little unless you’re not currently winning them .
    Last edited by thegoat; 21st October 2022 at 16:07.

As a Crystal Palace season ticket holder.... I don't think they know their current market!

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/announce...oHF0RRYSblV6s0

There's three answers to that. In some respects (turnover and international presence) yes we are. Ability to attract top players and coaches; no but getting there. Trophy cabinet; absolutely not. So on balance, it could be argued either way that we are or we aren't. I also dislike the conversation as there's no definition of big club.

Go on then , I’ll ask

I’ve always disliked this talk of big clubs . Every PL club is , by its very definition, a big club . Historically, winning things means very little unless you’re not currently winning them .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
    Chelsea finished 4th just before takeover, and hadn't finished outside the top 6 since the mid '90s.
    Granted, they weren't actually challenging for the title in any of that time, but they were hardly drifting around mid-table obscurity.
    Not forgetting four FA Cup Final appearances, winning it twice, a League Cup Final win, UEFA Cup Winners Cup Win, UEFA Super Cup Win

Blog Entries
    Yeah…. LCFC are easily midlands top dogs!

History only started when the PL started ;-)

Master
    Obviously you have the big historic clubs Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Everton, Notts Forest, Chelsea.

I think Villa sit somewhere below the above around equal to City, Spurs, Newcastle, Leeds as fringe historic big clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Obviously you have the big historic clubs Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Everton, Notts Forest, Chelsea.

I think Villa sit somewhere below the above around equal to City, Spurs, Newcastle, Leeds as fringe historic big clubs.

Shouldn’t you change your signature to Sent from my Nokia 8210
    They used to be big too

Go on then , I’ll ask

Newcastle are a huge club ....in Newcastle. Outside of Newcastle they wouldn't register in any form of being considered a 'big club' , little to no history of winning, little to no history full stop come to think of it.

Not rising to that.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Newcastle are a huge club ....in Newcastle. Outside of Newcastle they wouldn't register in any form of being considered a 'big club' , little to no history of winning, little to no history full stop come to think of it.

Master

Huddersfield Town - the first English team to win the First Division title in three consecutive seasons.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Huddersfield Town - the first English team to win the First Division title in three consecutive seasons.
    Pre Premier League so it doesn’t count

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Where is Newcastle?

Blog Entries

Forest?

Nurse…. A TZ member needs his meds

It's a place where people are friendly, the air is fresh, you're never more than 20 minutes from a beach and regular people can buy homes

Quote Originally Posted by Adge View Post
    Where is Newcastle?

Craftsman
    There have always been clubs through the years in England that have in their time punched way above their weight.
    Huddersfield, Sunderland, who used to be known as the Bank of England club, Burnley, Wolves.
    Man City and Newcastle with the Arab money are no different from the teams previously mentioned, they will have their time and if the Arabs stick around they will be in contention for every cup. Take that Arab money away and they are no better than Huddersfield, Sunderland, Burnley and Wolves.
    Britain has 4 major football clubs, Man U, Liverpool, Rangers and Celtic. Clubs that have a world wide appeal, doesn’t matter how they are doing, they still retain that support.
    Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Chelsea and Villa are in my opinion a rung below the top 4,
    Being in the EPL doesn’t mean you are a big club!

Master
    I'd say a good barometer of big clubs in England is how many fans come over from Ireland(North and South) to watch them.
    I'd imagine Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal a distant 3rd would be about right.
    As a foot note Spurs were easily a bigger club up here than Chelsea when I was growing up-probably due to the cool" le coq sportif" silky strip they wore.
    Villa are definitely a big club imo
    Forest no.

Let's address City. The equivalent elsewhere would be if Athletico Madrid became the predominant team there due to an influx of Arab money.
    Successful of course but still will never be the pre-eminent Madrid club because it goes deeper and sometimes it's intangible things that define it .

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I'd say a good barometer of big clubs in England is how many fans come over from Ireland(North and South) to watch them.
    Ireland has 5m people. Half as many as London. Teams like Arsenal, Chelsea etc have huge fan bases in countries with much bigger populations (eg in the Far East).

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    As a foot note Spurs were easily a bigger club up here than Chelsea when I was growing up-probably due to the cool" le coq sportif" silky strip they wore.
    Villa are definitely a big club imo
    Forest no.

Let's address City. The equivalent elsewhere would be if Athletico Madrid became the predominant team there due to an influx of Arab money.
    Successful of course but still will never be the pre-eminent Madrid club because it goes deeper and sometimes it's intangible things that define it .
    Let's not pretend that these super clubs with a world wide fan base have some mystique. Clubs become big and popular because they win. Madrid/Barcelona or Man Utd/Liverpool don't have anything intangible. They're who they are because they have won endless trophies and have or have had world class players. Their initial success gave them the financial means to buy more success. This plus astute marketing attracts a fan base outside their home town. Liverpool and United fans around world of course still follow their club when they're not successful but you can be almost certain that the only reason they started following them was because of their success. Would Liverpool be the club they are today without the Moores family?

Should City or any other club for that matter have the kind of success achieved so far by United, RM etc then decades down the line who's to say who will be consdered "big clubs".
    Last edited by sevvy; 22nd October 2022 at 08:08.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Ireland has 5m people. Half as many as London. Teams like Arsenal, Chelsea etc have huge fan bases in countries with much bigger populations (eg in the Far East).
    You're a little confused with following a team (which one are you following this year?) and actually supporting a team. My Irish cousin ( a few years ago mind you) used to get the ferry across every other weekend to Man Utd home games with a bunch of his mates. To be fair the football was an excuse for a weekend on the booze but the ferries he said were full on the early morning Saturday sailings with Man Utd/ Liverpool/ any other English team supporters going to the games.

Genuinely hilarious responses this morning cheered me up no end .
    Fans from Ireland make you a big club ??
    United and Liverpool are popular there because they used to win things in the 70 s /80s /90s , no other reason . It’s reflected glory for a fan base who ‘generally’ have no ties to the club . It’s gloryhunting .
    I was on the home end last week and hardly heard an English accent, never mind a Scouse one . Disneylanfield indeed .
    Last edited by thegoat; 22nd October 2022 at 09:07.

Based on Social Media following the top 5 are

1. Real Madrid
    2. Barcelona
    3. Man Utd
    4. PSG
    5. Juventus

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.isp...al-media%3famp