closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 15 of 90 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 2022 - 23

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I think it’s time we started giving every team a two goal start .
    Still not convinced with Haaland . Looks a bit ungainly to me . :)
    Proper throwback to a classic number 9, he’s a phenomenal athlete too the acceleration over the first 10 for someone with his build is insane. Not interested in anything other than getting the ball in the net.

He’s the perfect beast to compliment city’s beauty of a midfield.

As for Arsenal, I’m enjoying seeing the emergence of this team something is brewing probably a step too far this season to finish in the top 2 but couple more seasons and this team could be achieve something.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Who is reporting terms agreed with Bellingham and Liverpool? Can't see it anywhere reputable, just fan Twitter accounts. Would be fantastic signing for Liverpool!

Another fantastic win for Arsenal yesterday and their website has this stat:

Yesterday's win against Fulham was the first time the Gunners have won a Premier League game after conceding the first goal in the second half since December 2013.

Nketiah gave a massive injection of pace, energy, and penetration when he came on. Odegaard is such a classy player and is now finally adding goals to his game. Gabriel made up for his mistake. Ramsdale with a couple of key saves and White was extremely solid at RB again.

I've watched a couple of Fulham games now and think they look a decent outfit. Mitrovic looks determined this season and is a real physical presence, but he is ably supported by likes of Decordova-Reid and Pereira. Think they will be fine this season (unlike Bournemouth).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    BBC gossip.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post
    Proper throwback to a classic number 9, he’s a phenomenal athlete too the acceleration over the first 10 for someone with his build is insane. Not interested in anything other than getting the ball in the net.

As for Arsenal, I’m enjoying seeing the emergence of this team something is brewing probably a step too far this season to finish in the top 2 but couple more seasons and this team could be achieve something.
    Have started very well but early days and injuries and how far they progress in all competitions will define their season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tango; 28th August 2022 at 12:28.

Quote Originally Posted by j17ykp View Post

I think Arsenal have a 1st XI that apart from City with the Honey Monster up front would compete with any other side.

The 'normal' no 2 side Liverpool haven't really replaced Mane yet, have a ton of injuries and VVD looks a shadow of his former self. So there is IMHO 2nd place to go for. I think Arsenal's struggle will be in lack of squad depth. We saw yesterday that it doesn't take much for us to have to play Elneny in midfield and Nketieh up front. So if the board decides they want to go for it this year then a few more signings will be important as it is 2 games a week from here on in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I think Arsenal have a 1st XI that apart from City with the Honey Monster up front would compete with any other side.

The 'normal' no 2 side Liverpool haven't really replaced Mane yet, have a ton of injuries and VVD looks a shadow of his former self. So there is IMHO 2nd place to go for. I think Arsenal's struggle will be in lack of squad depth. We saw yesterday that it doesn't take much for us to have to play Elneny in midfield and Nketieh up front. So if the board decides they want to go for it this year then a few more signings will be important as it is 2 games a week from here on in.
    And that is the crux of it. When competing with a squad the size, depth and quality of Man City, most teams will fall short when the games start coming thick and fast and a few players picky up an injury.

I do not see it is likely that Arsenal will add any meaningful players before the transfer window closes and if that is the case I think they will inevitably suffer when the going get's more demanding.
    Last edited by tango; 28th August 2022 at 16:04.

Just took this pic in a Japanese Restaurant in Chiang Mai!

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    And that is the crux of it. When competing with a squad the size, depth and quality of Man City, most teams will fall short when the games start coming thick and fast and a few players picky up an injury.

I do not see it is likely that Arsenal will add any meaningful players before the transfer window closes and if that is the case I think they will inevitably suffer when the going get's more demanding.
    City’s squad is actually on the small side this year. And if Bernardo goes they will struggle if they have a couple of key injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Just took this pic in a Japanese Restaurant in Chiang Mai!
    Ha ha ha brilliant.

Cheeky Spurs fan nicked the ball behind the goal during the celebration.

Spurs not at their best but Harry Kane.....

Son is well out of form and seemed to have a strop as he was subbed off.

Master
    That will be a regular thing by both Son and Richarlason I figure.

Master

Just steady yourself Ryan, you’ve had very easy opening fixtures. Fully expect Arsenal to be challenging for 4th at best come the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    Just steady yourself Ryan, you’ve had very easy opening fixtures. Fully expect Arsenal to be challenging for 4th at best come the end of the year.

TBH I'm not convinced Arsenal have had easy fixtures in so far as the win vs Palace away is now looking a very good one as was the win vs Fulham. Sure we haven't had to go to Anfield or play City yet but I think the team has done OK so far and teams like Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd have slipped up in supposedly 'easy' matches. Still need some more squad depth though and TBH I'd take 4th now.

City have had a small squad for quite a few years now. Quality yes, size no. It’s another fallacy that is pumped out by lazy pundits and journalists without fact checking.

TBH I'm not convinced Arsenal have had easy fixtures in so far as the win vs Palace away is now looking a very good one as was the win vs Fulham. Sure we haven't had to go to Anfield or play City yet but I think the team has done OK so far and teams like Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd have slipped up in supposedly 'easy' matches. Still need some more squad depth though and TBH I'd take 4th now.
    Fulham, Bournemouth, Leicester and Palace? But Arsenal are the team to push City for the title?

You should really stop yourself from posting on football-related threads, Ryan, especially (but not only) when it's this early in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Fulham, Bournemouth, Leicester and Palace? But Arsenal are the team to push City for the title?

You should really stop yourself from posting on football-related threads, Ryan, especially (but not only) when it's this early in the season.
    I never said Arsenal were the team to push City. I said that it could be the case this year that with Liverpool in a bit of bother that a surprise package could look at 2nd place and I stated this could be Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea if they went on a run and kept their squads fit. I also said the thing that would stop Arsenal is their lack of squad depth. It's all in my post. I think you are reading more into it - I know there's lots of mirth on the Spurs social media sites saying Arsenal fans were cheering the Fulham victory like we won the CL or that we think we are title contenders but that is not the case and most Arsenal fans would bite your hand off for 4th if offered that now.

Anyway not to bother as another comedian will be along soon to ask which team it is that I'm supporting this week. That will be hilarious as ever

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    City have had a small squad for quite a few years now. Quality yes, size no. It’s another fallacy that is pumped out by lazy pundits and journalists without fact checking.
    Oh come on !
    City have five players for every position and they all cost 50 million quid.
    If you say it enough, it becomes fact . I corrected tango on last years thread about City’s squad size and yet here is again.

Still liking the look of Arsenal. They had to dig in and get a result . I also think it’s a mistake to say they haven’t played anyone yet. Fulham and Palace can give anyone a game . The big test will come with the Thursday Cup and squad rotation .

City still aren’t playing well. There are anonymous performances by a couple of players , probably covered up by a great pass or assist , which needs addressing . Foden is stuck out on the wing where he’s not as effective. KDB hasn’t been at his best but his effort can never be faulted. Mahrez is out of sorts . Cancelo hasn’t been great yet and the defence still hasn’t settled and are giving up opportunities every game. Haaland is even better than he’s given credit for. He’s insanely strong and his positioning seems to be excellent so far.

Liverpool were lucky , again . Bournemouth were much the better team , until kick off .

A few teams are having their best starts for a long while Arsenal, Spurs, Toon, Brighton and Leeds off the top of my head. The compression of Europe matches for Arsenal and Spurs, presents a challenge and decision on priorities as both have increased depth in squad but not sure enough for 50+ games with the World Cup in December too.

I don't expect to win every game, and most players will have a dip in form or have the odd error but do expect the players to put in a shift, having the conviction to dump your top striker and most expensive signing takes some nuts, Arteta has done that, and (unfortunately )seems Man Utd are going along the same lines. I still think we (Arsenal) will come unstuck against more clinical teams, but at least we look less likely just to role over without a fight if go behind. Enjoying the atmosphere at The Emirates, along with the sunshine, whilst it lasts.

Away from all the glory - we won yesterday and scored our first goal of the season, I'm happy.

COYI.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Maybe Martinez would be the better defensive midfielder, aggressive, good distribution?

Has a short central defender ever made it in the English Premier League?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The boy done good in the last couple of games, robust defender and very good playing the ball out. Looks like Varane and Martinez is the pairing of choice. With Casemiro in front, has the making of a solid spine, something that United has lacked for a long time now. Need a CF, I think it was wrong to sideline and then let Cavani go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As an aside , Garth Crooks Team of the Week on the BBC is hilarious .
    The Odegaard inclusion is particularly awe inspiring .

Craftsman
    As an aside , Garth Crooks Team of the Week on the BBC is hilarious .
    The Odegaard inclusion is particularly awe inspiring .
    What was odd about including Odegaard? He was excellent against Fulham.

What I found strange was putting Robert Firmino as a midfielder

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

To be fair his teeth cover all positions

Master
    Blog Entries

Martin Odegaard (Arsenal): The headline after Saturday's win was 'How Arteta is turning Arsenal into contenders'. My only problem with that statement is I didn't like the way the Arsenal manager went about it against Fulham.

With the final seconds ticking away, and the visitors chasing an equaliser, I was hopping with fury to see Mikel Arteta watch the ball roll off the pitch into the technical area, pick it up and then throw it away as the Fulham player was racing to get it back into play.

Managers should never touch the ball unless they intend to hand it back to the player. Bertie Mee or Arsene Wenger would never have behaved in such a manner - and they have won titles.

As for Odegaard, it was another fine display by the Arsenal captain.

That is what is odd. Not the inclusion , but the description.
    Garth Crooks at his best.

Martin Odegaard (Arsenal): The headline after Saturday's win was 'How Arteta is turning Arsenal into contenders'. My only problem with that statement is I didn't like the way the Arsenal manager went about it against Fulham.

With the final seconds ticking away, and the visitors chasing an equaliser, I was hopping with fury to see Mikel Arteta watch the ball roll off the pitch into the technical area, pick it up and then throw it away as the Fulham player was racing to get it back into play.

Managers should never touch the ball unless they intend to hand it back to the player. Bertie Mee or Arsene Wenger would never have behaved in such a manner - and they have won titles.

Completely lacking in class.

Craftsman

Ah I see, yes pretty funny - I have to admit I enjoy them. It's pretty much his trademark to be a bit bonkers!

Yeah Crooks hates Arsenal - he is often saying things like 'Saka is in my team of the week because......I only hope he finds himself at a better club and with a better manager - Klopp are you reading?' Or something like that. It is funny.

But equally funny is the BBC love in with Man Utd. They scrape home 1-0 against Southampton and the headline is that United 'prove they are no one-hit wonders'!

Master
    Poor Parker sacked, he’d said too much clearly.

Yeah Crooks hates Arsenal - he is often saying things like 'Saka is in my team of the week because......I only hope he finds himself at a better club and with a better manager - Klopp are you reading?' Or something like that. It is funny.

But equally funny is the BBC love in with Man Utd. They scrape home 1-0 against Southampton and the headline is that United 'prove they are no one-hit wonders'!
    I’m inclined to think he’s just a buffoon .
    He’s included two defenders from a 9-0 winning team and mentions
    Sterling has got rid of the Pep straight jacket

He’s hilariously bad week after week

Master

yep got the boot for being honest.

Jack Ross, whose Dundee Utd. team also lost 9-0, sacked as well. Swapsies?
    ______

​Jim.

He'll need to earn his stripes elsewhere...

Other than playing for Spurs, and heading medicine balls too many times, I think that might be my fault. I met him and the Spurs team (including Archibald) training in Cuffley Woods (very high tech back in those days) I recognised them, nodded in recognition and they wandered over. They asked if I wanted their autographs- I said no thank you as I support Arsenal...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Other than playing for Spurs, and heading medicine balls too many times, I think that might be my fault. I met him and the Spurs team (including Archibald) training in Cuffley Woods (very high tech back in those days) I recognised them, nodded in recognition and they wandered over. They asked if I wanted their autographs- I said no thank you as I support Arsenal...
    Ha! Good on you!

If I was after Spurs autographs it would be Gazza or Jimmy Greaves, not Garth 'never played for England' Crooks.

Master
    Another exciting weekend for all especially the city game - kudos to them yet again they bounce back - haaland is a monster !!!
    Thought forest looked good but lack a striker, liverpool bouncing back in style and my own team showed charachter and grit to sneak a much needed 1-0 v the saints
    Stebvie G must bne under big pressure and the nect few games dont look good for him either and likewise lampard stole a point from the bees, big shout out to brighton and potter another clean sheet and a team thats very well drilled
    Youve got to love the prem a thrill a minute

In other news my daughter is mascot tonight for watford (her team) v boro in there 100th centenary match and shes really exited for it and something I would have loved to do as a kid

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Another exciting weekend for all especially the city game - kudos to them yet again they bounce back - haaland is a monster !!!
    Thought forest looked good but lack a striker, liverpool bouncing back in style and my own team showed charachter and grit to sneak a much needed 1-0 v the saints
    Stebvie G must bne under big pressure and the nect few games dont look good for him either and likewise lampard stole a point from the bees, big shout out to brighton and potter another clean sheet and a team thats very well drilled
    Youve got to love the prem a thrill a minute

In other news my daughter is mascot tonight for watford (her team) v boro in there 100th centenary match and shes really exited for it and something I would have loved to do as a kid
    That's lovely!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I never said Arsenal were the team to push City. I said that it could be the case this year that with Liverpool in a bit of bother that a surprise package could look at 2nd place and I stated this could be Arsenal, Spurs or Chelsea if they went on a run and kept their squads fit. I also said the thing that would stop Arsenal is their lack of squad depth. It's all in my post. I think you are reading more into it - I know there's lots of mirth on the Spurs social media sites saying Arsenal fans were cheering the Fulham victory like we won the CL or that we think we are title contenders but that is not the case and most Arsenal fans would bite your hand off for 4th if offered that now.

Anyway not to bother as another comedian will be along soon to ask which team it is that I'm supporting this week. That will be hilarious as ever
    Tottenham fans must have blind spots.
    https://twitter.com/TheSilvaOne1985/...67401377243136

It is early days but we (Arsenal) and looking solid for a top 4, still a long way to go, and we have had no hard matches so far. Should have beaten Fulham easier than we did but showed good spirit to fight back for the win.

Feel for Parker, Bournemouth had a hard start to the season, Arsenal and Liverpool must have been down as losses, so 1 win is not a bad start, should have given him a few more games.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    It is early days but we (Arsenal) and looking solid for a top 4, still a long way to go, and we have had no hard matches so far. Should have beaten Fulham easier than we did but showed good spirit to fight back for the win.

Feel for Parker, Bournemouth had a hard start to the season, Arsenal and Liverpool must have been down as losses, so 1 win is not a bad start, should have given him a few more games.
    I agree, I think it was more to do with his criticism of the board rather than the results.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post

Man City away would have also been down as a loss. So 3 points from 4 games would have been acceptable and as others have said his attitude and public criticism made his situation untenable. Bournemouth don't have a super rich owner and can't compete with many other teams and so need to consolidate, stay up and build from there. They should look at Brighton and Brentford as models to aspire to. Parker moaning that he can't sign the sort of players that other teams have is kind of like me complaining that other people are getting Patek tourbillons and I'm looking at a Seiko Prospex

Master
    Man City away would have also been down as a loss. So 3 points from 4 games would have been acceptable and as others have said his attitude and public criticism made his situation untenable. Bournemouth don't have a super rich owner and can't compete with many other teams and so need to consolidate, stay up and build from there. They should look at Brighton and Brentford as models to aspire to. Parker moaning that he can't sign the sort of players that other teams have is kind of like me complaining that other people are getting Patek tourbillons and I'm looking at a Seiko Prospex
    Yes don't really see what he had to gain by going public in his criticism like that.

Master
    Bournemouth are a good example though of why the current parachute payment system does not work. They frankly looked a poor side in the championship but had far more money than most other teams from parachute payments so had more depth for the long season. I don't mind sides like Forest having a safety net if they have a go and get relegated but it's frankly unfair on championship teams if you have yo-yo sides like Norwich, Bournemouth and Watford having numerous opportunities in the prem in short succession when they clearly aren't good enough but just have a LOT more money than any other club after they are relegated to go back up. Change the rules to limit parachute payments to one per say 4 year period and put more money into the Championship to give other sides a level chance. Rubbish ground at Bournemouth too, they give away supporters 1,100 tickets for a match!

Yes don't really see what he had to gain by going public in his criticism like that.
    I presume although "sacked" he was also paid off, quickest way out to another club too. That or they wouldn't pay the dry cleaning for the jumper...

London looks the place to be next weekend for a family trip .
    Brentford v Leeds
    Chelsea v West Ham
    Tottenham v Fulham

and Millwall v Cardiff to boot .
    All kicking off at 3 o clock .

Wow I'm surprised Brentford Leeds and Chelsea West Ham are kicking off at same time due to relative close proximity of the grounds and the fact that Leeds, Chelsea and West Ham fans have 'previous' and sticking them all together within a 7 mile radius is asking for trouble.

Spurs vs Fulham is 15 miles away from that - most London teams hate Tottenham (and in particular Chelsea and West Ham hate Spurs), and Fulham hate Chelsea.

And Millwall vs Cardiff is basically when bad meets evil. Busy day for the plod I'd imagine.

Seems all very sensible.....

Edit I see tomorrow West Ham are home to Spurs and only 6 miles away Arsenal are at home to Villa. Have the fixture schedulers been smoking crack?
    Last edited by ryanb741; 30th August 2022 at 19:55.

Craftsman
    Wow I'm surprised Brentford Leeds and Chelsea West Ham are kicking off at same time due to relative close proximity of the grounds and the fact that Leeds, Chelsea and West Ham fans have 'previous' and sticking them all together within a 7 mile radius is asking for trouble.

Spurs vs Fulham is 15 miles away from that - most London teams hate Tottenham (and in particular Chelsea and West Ham hate Spurs), and Fulham hate Chelsea.

And Millwall vs Cardiff is basically when bad meets evil. Busy day for the plod I'd imagine.

Seems all very sensible.....

Edit I see tomorrow West Ham are home to Spurs and only 6 miles away Arsenal are at home to Villa. Have the fixture schedulers been smoking crack?
    Like the good old days of the 70’s :)

Master
    Leeds Everton game getting feisty.

V quiet in the Fulham area during and after the game. Would have expected a lot more crowd noise to be easily heard