closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a running watch

Recommend me a running watch

I've never had a running watch before but I'm planning to run my first half-marathon and I'm thinking that my G-shock just isn't sophisticated enough.

I've heard that the Garmin Forerunner is a good one but what model would you recommend? GPS obviously and simple to use please.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 12th January 2023 at 23:22.

Master
    What do you need it to do?

Garmin Forerunner 55 should be good for that.

Can't go wrong with a Garmin.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

All of my watches are running watches (apart from the ones needing a new battery)

Apple watch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Apple watch
    Saw an advert a few nights ago, the capabilities certainly looked very impressive and it would appear they are mainly made in Vietnam not China which is another big bonus.

Master
    I’ve had Garmins for years to track my training. Last week made the jump to an Apple Watch 8 and in my opinion the Garmins are better for just pure training watches.

The Apple Watch is packed full of features and apps etc but I can’t see myself ever using any of it, should have stuck with the Garmin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No longer in production, but I'm very happy with the Garmin Forerunner 35. It has a nice clear display, and tells me when I'm off pace. Would look at replacing it with the equivalent current model if necessary.

Craftsman
    I think the forerunners are the way to go for a fitness focused watch. I think Garmin have a sale on at present.

As well as the forerunner, take a look at the vivoactive series.

Master
    Having previously used a Suunto, I now use a Garmin Forerunner 45 which I am very happy with. I like the app too.

I bought the watch as refurbished from Amazon. Still came with a warranty and came effectively looking as new.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Another vote for Garmin here. I used to have the 645 which was good for training but i swapped to a Samsung Active 2 as i wanted to use it everyday and the samsung offered better non sport features.
    If just for sport then i would go back to Garmin for sure.

Things to consider
    1. Just running or other sports to? If you think you might cycle or swim then look at the mulitsport models
    2. Not all have storage for music. My 645 didn't and it was one of the reasons i changed.
    3. Button or touchscreen? The non touchscreen models can be fiddly when going through the menus but I found them better when actually running as the buttons are easier to press than the screen... cold/wet fingers don't always register.

Craftsman
    I have a Garmin Vivoactive 4 and it's great.. I use it for running, swimming, elliptical, walking and court sports mostly. Smart for office wear, Spotify, touch screen and button control. The best thing though is that it has, for me, a perfect mix of full-on sports watch and just enough smart watch - alarms, timers, messages (text and WhatsApp), torch and touch pay. Nothing else and super simple.. so much better than over complicated Samsung Galaxy-1 I had previously.

Quote Originally Posted by djacks42 View Post
    I have a Garmin Vivoactive 4 and it's great.. I use it for running, swimming, elliptical, walking and court sports mostly. Smart for office wear, Spotify, touch screen and button control. The best thing though is that it has, for me, a perfect mix of full-on sports watch and just enough smart watch - alarms, timers, messages (text and WhatsApp), torch and touch pay. Nothing else and super simple.. so much better than over complicated Samsung Galaxy-1 I had previously.
    I had an earlier version, v2 I think. Agree that it's a good all-rounder. Wife preferred it to her venu so nicked it!

I now have an Instinct solar which is more basic but meets my needs and only needs charging about once a month!

If it's only for running, get a Garmin Forerunner 55 (I have the 45 and it's been faultless). If you want more features or to wear it as a 'normal' watch look elsewhere but I can't advise you as that's not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I’ve had Garmins for years to track my training. Last week made the jump to an Apple Watch 8 and in my opinion the Garmins are better for just pure training watches.

The Apple Watch is packed full of features and apps etc but I can’t see myself ever using any of it, should have stuck with the Garmin.

agree with this. I had a Garmin vivoactive and switched to Apple Watch last year. For pure sport stuff Garmin is better but as I use Apple Pay and the express travel to tap in and out daily the Apple Watch is better all round for me.
    Garmin use Garmin Pay which when I last looked the majority of banks had not signed up for.

Master
    I have the Apple Watch ultra and a garmin venu 2 and a Fenix 7 Saphire for every day sporting activity use. Garmin is hands down better for sports and activities. If you like data garmin the way forward.

My Apple Watch I don’t actually use it for much apart from convenience when I am not at work, the sports and health is improving since gen 1 but still a big to come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

Have you tried the Apple Watch with the Strava app? I found that worked really well for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    agree with this. I had a Garmin vivoactive and switched to Apple Watch last year. For pure sport stuff Garmin is better but as I use Apple Pay and the express travel to tap in and out daily the Apple Watch is better all round for me.
    Garmin use Garmin Pay which when I last looked the majority of banks had not signed up for.
    Mine is linked to my Revolut card since HSBC don't support it.

Master
    Another vote for Garmin Forerunner 45, £110 ish on Amazon £80/£90 refurbished. The app has all the trickle down features of Garmin’s £350+ watches.

Plus the current 45’s come with a training coach for running. You input all your data and run expectation’s. The watch measures your heart rate during a run , calculates your V02 max and then develops a program of training. Bloomin marvellous
    Last edited by higham5; 13th January 2023 at 22:16.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I've never had a running watch before but I'm planning to run my first half-marathon and I'm thinking that my G-shock just isn't sophisticated enough.

I've heard that the Garmin Forerunner is a good one but what model would you recommend? GPS obviously and simple to use please.
    How can you tell the time if it’s not running.

Okay, I’ll get my hat and coat!!

I’ve git both apple and garmin. I prefer the garmin for battery life.

J

Jim
    Last edited by Jimmcb; 13th January 2023 at 22:54.

Master
    Garmin are excellent for running, some models can sync music if that’s your thing

But for convenience, syncing your Apple Music, paying for stuff on your way home when you haven’t got your wallet, talking calls and messages whilst running…

The Apple Watch really does a fabulous job

If they make a smaller Ultra I’ll be all over it like a rash

Blog Entries
    I have had two Garmin Fenix over the last 4 years, current is a 6X Pro.

When I upgrade next it will certainly be another.

Pitch

Craftsman
    Another vote for Garmin - I had a Suunto 2 for about 6 years and then last year upgraded to the Garmin 6X and it’s amazing. I prefer buttons to touch screen. It does far more than I ever need - I mostly run, but also occasionally hike, walk and cycle. 50+ hours GPS on a charge and 10 days as a watch.

For the most thorough reviews I’ve ever read, have a look at DCRainmaker before you make a choice. I don’t think you’ll go wrong, whichever one you go for.

If and when I replace this I’m certain it will be another Garmin.

Master
    Another vote for Garmin here, I use a Fenix 6X Pro but if you're only running then it's overkill. Have a look at the Forerunner series (as has been mentioned). You can pick them up cheap enough on eBay to see if it's right for you.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    If it's only for running, get a Garmin Forerunner 55 (I have the 45 and it's been faultless). If you want more features or to wear it as a 'normal' watch look elsewhere but I can't advise you as that's not me.
    I've got a Garmin Forerunner 55 and am happy with it, upgrading from the 45. Unlike the Forerunner 45, the strap attaches using quick release spring bars like a standard watch, which makes strap changes easy. Improved battery life too.

Looking on Amazon, you can get a Forerunner 55 for £127.

Garmin Forerunner 55 GPS Running Smartwatch, Whitestone https://amzn.eu/d/3ApEBmv
    Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bonny Marco; 14th January 2023 at 16:37.

Craftsman
    Garmin 245M.

Used mine for 2yrs and I don't think there is anything it's missing. Great for running and cycling.

Waterproof, music storage, battery last days and the best feature is you can download different apps for free to modify the watch to show the info you need.

Had a garmin watch years back, terrible. Very fussy and all sorts of info I didn’t want at the expense of clarity around the info I did.

Use a Polar HR puck now that I like a lot; the app support is great. I’d buy polar if getting a watch I think, just on personal experience.

Master
    As per the norm for threads like this 30 posts (31 now) one asking what to get, unusually one asking what are you trying to accomplish (now two), the rest kinda I’ve got one of these.

I ask what are your aims it could be the most basic option will cover your needs ot something more advanced might be the way.

From a fitness watch perspective I tried both Fitbit & garmin some years back & found the garmin product & eco system to be my preference.

I especially like being able to have multiple devices a small fitness band for every day & a fenix sports watch for other activities & they keep steps & hr etc in sync

Have a look on the dc rainmaker web site at some of his review on a few low, med top range garmin products you should get a good sense if they are what your looking for, he’ll also have polar, sunto etc reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post

Garmin Forerunner 255 (or 255s for a smaller version, same specs).
    Simple to use to just track your runs. Like press-a-button-twice-and-you’re-sorted simple
    Also really capable of you want to do more with it.
    GPS and mapping is excellent.
    Health trackers are accurate.
    App is easy enough (can be data-heavy, but you can just check your run/pace/HR and keep it simple)
    Battery is good. You get a week if using GPS for medium runs each day.
    Not too ugly.
    No subscription needed to access detailed health data.
    Customisable layouts and workouts.

I am very pleased with mine. I run every day, do other training too, and have been using this for 2 weeks now. Recommend it highly.

Currently £250 in most places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    !!!!!Warning!!!!!

Sorry for the drama but think long and hard about buying a Garmin, it may wreck your watch rotation completely!

I've had a couple now including my latest Fenix 7 solar.

I hardly wear a "nice" watch at all now, The battery on this lasts a couple of weeks its addictive to track your sleep, body battery, and workouts.

I feel like I'm missing data when I take it off and therefore I rarely do.

As I'm not an Italian captain of industry, and it's not the 1980s I can't wear 2 watches so I basically have expensive watches that just sit in a box waiting for me to choose one of them on the off chance I want to wear one a couple of times a month.

I'm actually thinking about moving to the inferior Whoop band so I can wear a nice watch when I want to.

Bigweb, I wear a Fenix 6 on my other wrist when at home but for being out I use a Vivoactive 5 band.

Couldn’t wear a Fenix all the time, would be depressing to give up mechanical watches.

Quote Originally Posted by bigweb View Post
    !!!!!Warning!!!!!

Sorry for the drama but think long and hard about buying a Garmin, it may wreck your watch rotation completely!

I have some sympathy with that 😁

Master
    Garmin 6x pro solar on offer at the moment, £350 with additional discount code

https://www.cwsellors.co.uk/products...c-010-02157-21

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

Apple 8 is a great everyday watch and for short duration sport, but the smaller screen than a Forerunner, Fenix or Epix may frustrate you when you're running, knackered and trying to see stats etc.

The Garmin's are stellar, do-it-all, bigger screen customisable sports watches with epic battery life, and get the right one and you'll have notifications, music and payment methods, so the gap narrows to Apple's previous dominance with app capability. The Garmin Epix 2 is as its name suggests.

My vote is for the Garmin 255: mid-range, so that you're not immediately wanting to upgrade.

Master
    !!!!!Warning!!!!!

I hardly wear a "nice" watch at all now, The battery on this lasts a couple of weeks its addictive to track your sleep, body battery, and workouts.

As I'm not an Italian captain of industry, and it's not the 1980s I can't wear 2 watches so I basically have expensive watches that just sit in a box waiting for me to choose one of them on the off chance I want to wear one a couple of times a month.

I'm actually thinking about moving to the inferior Whoop band so I can wear a nice watch when I want to.
    This is so accurate! Since getting my first Garmin, nice watches just stay in the watch box!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    Garmin 6x pro solar on offer at the moment, £350 with additional discount code

https://www.cwsellors.co.uk/products...c-010-02157-21

Just in case anyone is interested the advertised 10% discount on their website doesn't work in the basket so it's £389.

Master
    Garmin Fenix 6 Pro Solar is £369 at John Lewis. Got mine there last week.

!!!!!Warning!!!!!

This! Me exactly :)

Master
    !!!!!Warning!!!!!

^
    I run 4 times a week, and have been umm'ing and arr'ing about getting a fitness watch for ages. I once had a Garmin Vivosport that I wore on my other wrist as it didn't look too much like a watch. It died and I haven't replaced it. Yet.

Has anyone here actually used the Whoop? I really like that it isn't a watch, and I love that it doesn't actually have any display. It can be worn without threatening my regular watch rotation :-)

What I do need to know better: how to train more effectively and consistently for health and strength. I am not competing against the stopwatch, but I run/train because I want to be fitter at my age. Garmin/Apple seem focused on telling you your time stats and measure your fitness against those times... but I would prefer to be measured against improvements in my cardio and body vital stats - which I think is probably the more telling and informative. Whoop is c.£300 a year, but has no residual value compared to a smart watch. Thoughts?

Craftsman
    Can’t help with the whoop query but another vote for Garmin.

I’ve used a Garmin 235 for over 4-years. It’s easy to use and synchs with the app on your phone. Loads of data and a good battery life. As an older model it’s not expensive but *probably* still overkill for most runners.

Master
    Garmin Forerunner 645 Music on SC now👍

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Garmin Forerunner 645 Music on SC now
    Beat me to it....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    ^
    I run 4 times a week, and have been umm'ing and arr'ing about getting a fitness watch for ages. I once had a Garmin Vivosport that I wore on my other wrist as it didn't look too much like a watch. It died and I haven't replaced it. Yet.

Has anyone here actually used the Whoop? I really like that it isn't a watch, and I love that it doesn't actually have any display. It can be worn without threatening my regular watch rotation :-)

What I do need to know better: how to train more effectively and consistently for health and strength. I am not competing against the stopwatch, but I run/train because I want to be fitter at my age. Garmin/Apple seem focused on telling you your time stats and measure your fitness against those times... but I would prefer to be measured against improvements in my cardio and body vital stats - which I think is probably the more telling and informative. Whoop is c.£300 a year, but has no residual value compared to a smart watch. Thoughts?
    Any of the new Garmins do everything a Whoop does. Fitness age, body battery, vo2max, HRV Sleep, Training readyness etc sound like the metrics you are looking for.

I know the Fenix 7, FR955 have all of this. The FR255 might have it too

Master
    Don’t think the OP has come since his initial post

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies.

A good friend has kindly gifted me their Garmin Vivoactive 4S (they got it through work and don't use it).

Now I just need to learn how to navigate the menus, I don't find them very intuitive.

Shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth though!

I don't think it's going to replace my Seiko's (thankfully).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Do these Garmin watches loose support eventually? Like the fenix 6 will it stop getting updates or apps made?

SydR

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Do these Garmin watches loose support eventually? Like the fenix 6 will it stop getting updates or apps made?
    They will eventually stop receiving updates etc but will still continue to perform the functions it had at the point updates cease.

The only thing that may catch users out is if you have a really old device that doesn’t take into account the GPS date rollover. This last happened in April 2019 and is next due in 2039.

I have numerous watches, including a Fenix 2, that still operates perfectly, and one really old one that I need to correct the date on on every file I export from it. Other than that it still works.