closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 90 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 2022 - 23

Think I’ll do a Ryan and pick someone else to support. Brentford seems like a plan

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Looking forward to the next round of fixtures, some cracking-looking games this weekend. Sounds like Klopp is pessimistic of midfield reinforcements despite Thiago injury, seems a shame as surely handing initiative to City?

Arsenal face a test against Leicester who are always tough to play, but I'm hoping our excellent set piece record and their seeming inability to defend them helps us along. Always wary of Vardy though, he likes playing us... Let's see how Saliba copes with him.

Fancy Brentford against the shambolic United, especially with Damsgaard who I think is a very clever signing.

Stevie G must be under enormous pressure at Villa - backed him massively in successive windows, stripped the captaincy and dropped the player, and his results in 2022 have not been convincing, with that horrible opening day loss to newly-promoted Bournemouth last weekend being particularly damaging. Will he get one over his old sparring partner Frank Lampard on Saturday? He's got his own worries, hopefully this doesn't make for a turgid affair!

Elsewhere Barca are 'activating' another 'lever', otherwise known as rapidly selling off future earnings to fund today's excesses. This should allow them to register their new signings, add Alonso from Chelsea, and meet the wage cap restrictions laid out by La Liga. Who know what they will do next summer!? Mad.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk
    I called Brentford

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Next game…..Liverpool. Eeeeek!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    The gift that keeps giving!
    It’s absolute quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to respect Christian Eriksen for going to a struggling side rather than take the easy option and stay at Brentford.

Craftsman

Our seats yesterday. Perfectly placed to see all 4 goals. A beautiful day in every regard.

As a united fan this has still a way to go before we see change.

An indicator of change would have been all 5 subs at half time including the keeper.

You can't build on sand. I was worried when we signed Martinez, everyone talked about his distribution from centre back. Defenders defend first, once they can do that without conceding then let's talk about distribution.

You are taking a counterattacking team, defend deep, break at pace ( missing out the midfield) and try to turn them in Barcelona of 2015 , it's madness.

The reason de gea was player of the year for 4 years running was he was facing 20 shots per game, the thing he used to be good at.

The basic fact is our midfield is better without the ball than with it, the best thing about Fred is he runs about a bit, Mctom only plays as a defender for Scotland, says it all

2 games down....40 points from safety

Away to watch reruns of the Ronaldo, Rooney, tevez era

Enjoy the joy...

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Premier League 2022 - 23

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    You can't build on sand. I was worried when we signed Martinez, everyone talked about his distribution from centre back. Defenders defend first, once they can do that without conceding then let's talk about distribution.

The basic fact is our midfield is better without the ball than with it, the best thing about Fred is he runs about a bit, Mctom only plays as a defender for Scotland, says it all

Maybe Martinez would be the better defensive midfielder, aggressive, good distribution?

Has a short central defender ever made it in the English Premier League?

Last edited by BillyCasper; 14th August 2022 at 10:13.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Maybe Martinez would be the better defensive midfielder, aggressive, good distribution?

Has a short central defender ever made it in the English Premier League?

Paul McGrath was “only” 1.88m tall during his playing career. That’s 6 feet and one inch or so. Not especially tall for that position. How United could do with someone like him today.

Got to ask this: Is there anyone in the first team squad you’d want to retain?

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Paul McGrath was “only” 1.88m tall during his playing career. That’s 6 feet and one inch or so. Not especially tall for that position. How United could do with someone like him today.

Some in the 18-21 age range might be prospects, but who knows and there must be better options for the best young players than United.

You would have thought that Sancho, Ronaldo, Rashford, Fernandes and Martial (on the rare occasions he is fit) would have something to offer, but only as the spearhead to a sound midfield and defence.

I can't see any confidence in the fragile GK and defence. Maguire to the right and Martinez looks a failure. Will it improve? Would Lindelof and Varane be better (probably a bit better)? Play two average defensive midfielders to try and compensate for the frailties. A lightweight forward line who don't offer much as a first line and the opposition are on to and through the weak backbone.

Gary Neville is very pessimistic, rotten squad, rotten owners, dilapidated stadium and training facilities.

All feels a bit 1974. Looks like Mourinho and OGS got the best out of them.

I have no idea what has happened to Fernandes, when he first arrived he was great, a real play maker, but all he does now is walk around moaning about everything. Did he touch the ball yesterday.

Maguire is a donkey, I struggle to see what Utd and England can see. I wouldn’t want him in the Everton team.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I have no idea what has happened to Fernandes, when he first arrived he was great, a real play maker, but all he does now is walk around moaning about everything. Did he touch the ball yesterday.

Maguire is a donkey, I struggle to see what Utd and England can see. I wouldn’t want him in the Everton team.
    Agreed, I doubt he'd get on our bench. Awful player, now partnered by someone who looks ill-equipped to cope with/in the Premier League.

Master
    Blog Entries

Premier League 2022 - 23

Agree on Fernandez he was the real deal a few seasons back.

Wonder if the players miss Jose?

G Nev wasn’t a happy bear during the post match and a bit awkward. At least he has passion though.

West Ham getting a season's worth of bad luck in a single match

I think a point each might have been fairer result.

Spurs looking fluffy in midfield. Heck of a finish by the centre back

#conteout
    Last edited by ryanb741; 14th August 2022 at 17:03.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post

188 is 6 2, probably standard enough for a cb especially back then, plenty playing now are that height , I think Martinez is 5 9, heck of a difference and too small for cb, mascherano made it work at Barca but they had the ball most of the time, generally it won’t work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Spurs looking fluffy in midfield. Heck of a finish by the centre back

#conteout
    Really was a beautifully executed strike that any elite forward would be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Really was a beautifully executed strike that any elite forward would be proud of.

What is the point of zonal marking, there were about 4 or 5 Spurs players at the front of the box for that corner and no one at the back.

I just don’t get it, the corner of the 6 yard box is never going to score, but a guy in a Chelsea shirt most definitely is. Mark the man, not a patch of grass.

What is the point of zonal marking, there were about 4 or 5 Spurs players at the front of the box for that corner and no one at the back.

I just don’t get it, the corner of the 6 yard box is never going to score, but a guy in a Chelsea shirt most definitely is. Mark the man, not a patch of grass.
    Tend to agree, normally you see them go M2M for set pieces, unless the defence are majorly underclubbed in the match ups. Won't have thought that's the case with these 2, plus Italian manager so odd.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Horrendous refereeing errors leading to 2 Spurs goals. How Romero didn't get penalised for pulling Cucurella's hair only Anthony Taylor knows. Chelsea missed too many chances. As an Arsenal fan great result for us and I know it's early days but I didn't see anything on that pitch today that indicates the teams have progressed vs last season - that being said Spurs lost 4 times against Chelsea last year so will see that as progress but reality is Chelsea should have been out of sight long before the end.

Looks like Conte and Tuchel will get touchline bans.

Great result for the other teams at the top.

Both managers need long bans and big fines, not exactly role models to the kids.

Master
    Horrendous refereeing errors leading to 2 Spurs goals. How Romero didn't get penalised for pulling Cucurella's hair only Anthony Taylor knows. Chelsea missed too many chances. As an Arsenal fan great result for us and I know it's early days but I didn't see anything on that pitch today that indicates the teams have progressed vs last season - that being said Spurs lost 4 times against Chelsea last year so will see that as progress but reality is Chelsea should have been out of sight long before the end.

I’m amazed we weren’t down to ten men. That’s Taylor’s usual way of dealing with Chelsea.

I suppose Spurs will have a dvd out tomorrow

Master

Was all amicable at the end though.

Suspect Romero will get a proper 2 footer from someone in a match pretty soon.

If a man did what he did to Cucarella on a night out he'd be going to jail.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Christ - how did VAR let that hair pull slide? I believe they did review it too!

'So Dermot, can you explain the inexplainable to us?'

'Antony hadn't slept. He'd been awake all night crying his eyes out after that ManU result...'
    ______

​Jim.

Great result for the other teams at the top.

Both managers need long bans and big fines, not exactly role models to the kids.
    Rubbish - suggest you watch it again with your glasses on.

Your usual nonsense for the most part. We’ve yet to integrate any of our new signings into the starting 11, so I suggest you let the season unfold a bit before gobbing off. Or don’t, and risk looking like a fool again.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Rubbish - suggest you watch it again with your glasses on.
    TT was clearly the guilty party, but Conte didn’t help by celebrating Spurs first goal in the Chelsea dug out.

TT was clearly the guilty party, but Conte didn’t help by celebrating the first goal in the Chelsea dug out.
    Hardly in the dug out. Conte should have his red card rescinded.

Your usual nonsense for the most part. We’ve yet to integrate any of our new signings into the starting 11, so I suggest you let the season unfold a bit before gobbing off. Or don’t, and risk looking like a fool again.
    Fair enough you are right. Spurs murdered them, Richarlison wasn't offside and Romero didn't pull Cucarella's hair. If anything Spurs should be retrospectively awarded the 3 points

I'm not sure Conte deserved a red card, definitely a yellow.

I support Spurs but I felt we were very lucky to get away with a 2-2 draw, Chelsea looks like they're going to be very dangerous this season.

Besides all the drama... and hair-pulling... there were some very good goals!

Fair enough you are right. Spurs murdered them, Richarlison wasn't offside and Romero didn't pull Cucarella's hair. If anything Spurs should be retrospectively awarded the 3 points
    Richarlison clearly wasn't considered to be offside - that makes you wrong, not me.

Happy to have a wager on league position with you this season, Ryan. Loser sticks £50 in the fundraiser, or - given how cocky you are - do you want to give me odds?

Blog Entries
    Quite right poor little Spurs we’re robbed quite honestly both the Ref and VAR were not fit for purpose today ok one could argue that the Richarlison decision could be argued but the hair pull in front of the Ref was a total disgrace however we should have put the game to bed in the first half some of our play was superb.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Quite right poor little Spurs we’re robbed quite honestly both the Ref and VAR were not fit for purpose today ok one could argue that the Richarlison decision could be argued but the hair pull in front of the Ref was a total disgrace however we should have put the game to bed in the first half some of our play was superb.
    That's what happens when you wear your hair like a girl.

Richarlison clearly wasn't considered to be offside - that makes you wrong, not me.

Happy to have a wager on league position with you this season, Ryan. Loser sticks £50 in the fundraiser, or - given how cocky you are - do you want to give me odds?
    To be fair I've made no predictions in my post about who will finish above who, just that Spurs were very lucky today.

If you are asking me to make predictions I think City will win with Liverpool 2nd and Chelsea a clear third. I think 4th will be between Spurs and Arsenal and it will be tight. Reason I think Chelsea will get 3rd is they will no doubt splash the cash again.

Edit - Chelsea are off their t*ts if they are really trying to sign Antony Gordon and Aubameyang. Gordon wouldn't even get on the Arsenal bench and Aubameyang is a spent force as well as being a total mercenary
    Last edited by ryanb741; 14th August 2022 at 20:00.

To be fair I've made no predictions in my post about who will finish above who, just that Spurs were very lucky today.

If you are asking me to make predictions I think City will win with Liverpool 2nd and Chelsea a clear third. I think 4th will be between Spurs and Arsenal and it will be tight. Reason I think Chelsea will get 3rd is they will no doubt splash the cash again.

Edit - Chelsea are off their t*ts if they are really trying to sign Antony Gordon and Aubameyang. Gordon wouldn't even get on the Arsenal bench and Aubameyang is a spent force as well as being a total mercenary
    I’ll take that as a no. Do you think your main club will go down?

Master

Big fat new deal & looked at Pogba’s work rate & thought I can match that!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    As a united fan this has still a way to go before we see change.

An indicator of change would have been all 5 subs at half time including the keeper.

You are taking a counterattacking team, defend deep, break at pace ( missing out the midfield) and try to turn them in Barcelona of 2015 , it's madness.

The reason de gea was player of the year for 4 years running was he was facing 20 shots per game, the thing he used to be good at.

2 games down....40 points from safety

Away to watch reruns of the Ronaldo, Rooney, tevez era

Enjoy the joy...

Mates a huge United fan & he backs up what you said.

Ten has not got a clue, sitting with his 8 year olds multi coloured pen.

Sold Hendo, clearly the future keeper?

Constantly buy past it players looking for huge wages as a final pension!

Pay way too much for some of the players they have, Maguire example.

Dalot played more skew balls in one game, Shaw too lazy to run, McTom needs getting rid of along with half the squad.

Play the 21-23 players & build for the future as they cannot afford the present!

The last manager who took the club by the balls actually got some silverware & came second, Jose M, but the club backed the star player & got rid. That worked out well for them didn’t it?

I’ll take that as a no. Do you think your main club will go down?
    No I'm pretty sure Arsenal will stay up.

Arsenal are looking decent which is a bonus.

Ten Hag needed to go in remove Maguire captaincy and make big changes to mentality and culture, he has not done either, so I can only see another season of failure for Man U. Having said that, its enjoyable for everyone else!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    Arsenal are looking decent which is a bonus.

Ten Hag needed to go in remove Maguire captaincy and make big changes to mentality and culture, he has not done either, so I can only see another season of failure for Man U. Having said that, its enjoyable for everyone else!
    Having lost the first 3 last season (including a loss to Brentford) and wobble at the end I'm not going to pile in on Man U misery just yet. Is this the managers way of saying "get me those signings or this is what you'll be seeing this all season (or until you pay me off)"? Their next match is against Liverpool at home, that one might be painful too. They then have Soton and Leicester away before Arsenal at home on the 4th Sept, no doubt will have found some form by then...

I presume Mike Dean had sunstroke on VAR yesterday, I think both teams should be sent off retrospectively ;)

Re Arsenal we are at least scoring more goals but really feels like riding our luck with the slow starts to games, a more clinical team would have a couple by the time we get going, shut up shop and hit us on the counter. Oh well lets take the points whilst we can- it was definitely felt good to be back "home". Will be interesting how the "oh we've stuck a World Cup in the middle of a season as the money made us forget it was hot in the summer screw your minor leagues" impacts the league with player involved or not.
    Last edited by Chicken Pox; 15th August 2022 at 10:59.

Watching West Ham yesterday was torture.

Goal disallowed via VAR for Antonio (who wasn't the goalscorer) running into a Forest defender.

Fornal's shot hit underside of crossbar and landed on the line

And to cap it all our captain, Declan Rice, had his pathetic penalty saved.

Gordon Bennett!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Liverpool looking miles below their usual level and looking very open at the back.

Massive bottom of the table 6 pointer between Man Utd and Liverpool next Monday.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 15th August 2022 at 21:00.

Open at the back is how Klopp wants them to play; hold the line or step up when counter attacked. It works 90% of the time but when it fails....

It's all about the amount of risk you're prepared to take. City take less risk, don't play that way, concede less goals and therefore win more.

Liverpool looking miles below their usual level and looking very open at the back.

A few too many Emile Heskey moments from Nunez as well

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Watching West Ham yesterday was torture.

Goal disallowed via VAR for Antonio (who wasn't the goalscorer) running into a Forest defender.

Fornal's shot hit underside of crossbar and landed on the line

And to cap it all our captain, Declan Rice, had his pathetic penalty saved.

Gordon Bennett!
    On another day, we'd have won that game. Wasn't to be but we were very poor defensively for their goal. Still, we have our bogey team Brighton next...onwards and upwards!

Idiotic from Nunez. That will be a 3 match ban for violent conduct