closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 90 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 2022 - 23

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    No one mentioned City being wholly owned by the UAE or are we moving the goal posts now? It’s fairly simple; City is owned by the City Football Group. CFG is 78% owned by the Abu Dhabi United Group which is owned by Sheikh Mansour. Sheikh Mansour is effectively the UAE state and I don’t know how it could be argued otherwise. He’s nothing like JW Henry, the Glazers etc. He derived much of his fortune from a sovereign wealth fund - The Mubadala Investment Company (previously the International Petroleum Investment Company). In addition he is head of another sovereign wealth fund - The Emirates Investment Authority.

One of my best mates is a lifelong City fan (you’d hate him, he’s from Belfast) and we always rib each other about the footy. I give him stick about being a small time, state run oil club with no European success and he gives it back with our pathetic one Prem trophy in 30 years. When it comes to the state run ribbing he just laughs and says he doesn’t give a ****, look at all the trophies. That’s fine with me because he’s honest about where the money is coming from.
    Why would I hate someone from Belfast ? That’s a very weird position to take .
    We have had European success . We won a European trophy before your lot, remember?
    I’ve no doubt where the money comes from but City are not state owned, however you dress it up .
    It’s down to the fact that Middle Eastern money sits less comfortably with most .

Sportswashing ? OK , let’s look at it from a different angle . How many people on here view Abu Dhabi in a better light since they ‘bought’ City ? I’d say pretty much none of you which across a wider audience would mean the sportswashing thing is a failure, no ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Why would I hate someone from Belfast ? That’s a very weird position to take.
    I was being facetious but assumed you wouldn’t take his views seriously with him supporting a club nowhere near his birthplace. We clearly won’t ever agree but SM is effectively the UAE state for me.

I agree on the sports washing though. I don’t think anyone’s fooled and if anything it just brings the relevant country’s human rights abuses more in to focus.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I was being facetious but assumed you wouldn’t take his views seriously with him supporting a club nowhere near his birthplace. We clearly won’t ever agree but SM is effectively the UAE state for me.

I agree on the sports washing though. I don’t think anyone’s fooled and if anything it just brings the relevant country’s human rights abuses more in to focus.
    Of course nobody is fooled but it doesn’t stop that being the owners main motivation. I can assure you it wasn’t love of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Of course nobody is fooled but it doesn’t stop that being the owners main motivation. I can assure you it wasn’t love of the game.

Ahh , I get it now . John Henry and Malcolm Glazer were Liverpool and United mad from their early days but the Sheikh is using City as a sports wash vehicle , right ?

Or, maybe they are all interested in making money and using the clubs to this end .

Master
    Or, maybe they are all interested in making money and using the clubs to this end .
    You are right.

Cracking match Brighton/Leicester

How VAR gave a foul and struck our goal off against Chelsea is beyond me - it's ruined the game IMO.

That said the 0-0 Liverpool derby on Saturday was the most exciting Prem game I have seen for a long time.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Brighton looking tasty at the moment. Brendon could be next to feel the axe fall.

Potter is class - surely a big club would take a chance on him? Next Chelsea boss?

Blog Entries
    Just watching the Ten Hag interview pre match interview is it me but he looks like he has a condom on his head
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

VAR disallowed goal on Martinelli probably the correct decision.

Master
    Yes looked a foul even before replays.

Premier League 2022 - 23

The difference between the two CFs is marked. Rashford is a toothless CF. G-J is menacing.

Ps. What do I know, nice touch Mr. Rashford!

Pps. What do I know x2, nice goal Mr. Rashford!

Pps. x2. What do I know x3, nice second goal Mr. Rashford!

Last edited by BillyCasper; 4th September 2022 at 18:06.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    To add - 23 goal attempts, ten on target, 8 saves from their keeper, two goals chalked off for marginal offsides. We looked like we'd score every time we went forward, and however much I love Kulu a front three of Son, Kane and Richarlison is the way forward IMO.

The only thing I can't work out is why Conte hasn't played Perisic is RWB with Sessegnon on the left.
    Points conceded and having since watched MOTD I agree I was a bit harsh (though in my defence I stated that we weren't playing "particularly" well - hopefully we'll get better still)

Not clinical enough by Arsenal. No way should they be behind on balance of play but its not like De Gea has been pulling off worldie saves either

The referee , Fernandes , is having a good game so far .

How the heck has that not been given a Pen for Arsenal?

This is going to be chance after chance missed for Arsenal, Ronaldo will come on and Utd will sneak a 2nd, I've seen this match many times before
    Last edited by ryanb741; 4th September 2022 at 17:45.

There you go Ronaldo's on. Another smash and grab goal to come

The referee , Fernandes , is having a good game so far .
    LOL!

Eriksen pulling the strings like the maestro he is.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    LOL!

Eriksen pulling the strings like the maestro he is.
    Great player
    I think Liverpool missed a trick not getting him in .

Love De Gea.. but every long ball is conceding possession.. the amount of times he’s kicked into the abyss for it to flying back.. can’t play short, can’t play long.. Really need a replacement next window. Eriksen been different gravy this match. Jesus.. played his socks off.. never seen him play this well for City.. 3rd goal killed off this match.

Master
    Great player
    I think Liverpool missed a trick not getting him in .
    Him and Jesus!

Tough one to take as Arsenal have battered Utd but have been naieve and Ten Haag made some good substitutions. Utd very clinical.

2 very winnable home games to come for Arsenal with a tough away game at Brentford so let's see. Still top.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 4th September 2022 at 18:28.

Possibly just the wake up call the Gunners need.

ETH has made a huge difference in the little time he's had.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    The difference between the two CFs is marked. Rashford is a toothless CF. G-J is menacing.

Ps. What do I know, nice touch Mr. Rashford!

Pps. What do I know x2, nice goal Mr. Rashford!

Pps. x2. What do I know x3, nice second goal Mr. Rashford!

haha! I don't think anyone could argue with his performance today.

I think it could easily have been 3-3 today, Arteta took a risk, and it didn't pay off. Thougherly enjoyed the game though.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Tough one to take as Arsenal have battered Utd but have been naieve and Ten Haag made some good substitutions. Utd very clinical.

2 very winnable home games to come for Arsenal with a tough away game at Brentford so let's see. Still top.
    Did Arteta sub too early? Battered possession maybe.. but don’t remember too many clear cut chance’s troubling Utd. Think we were happy without possession looking for the counter…

Master
    Blog Entries
    Him and Jesus!

Cant imagine Pep would of let that happen

Master
    I expected better from you .
    Where are we ‘slamming ‘ money about ?
    Since you won the league , our net spend is better ,our profits are better, we are better run.
    This is the very definition of a successful business.
    You’ve spent 1.7billion in the last 10 years.

Don’t talk nonsense about profits etc, it’s all
    a Fugazi.

City’s global fan base is literally minuscule compared to the big historic European sides.

City are a great side but let’s not beat around the bush. It’s just been built by an Arab chap throwing money at it.

Quote Originally Posted by wrigles View Post
    Did Arteta sub too early? Battered possession maybe.. but don’t remember too many clear cut chance’s troubling Utd. Think we were happy without possession looking for the counter…

Maybe but I think Arsenal lost concentration for the counters. You are right De Gea didn't have that many saves to make and Arsenal should have been more clinical. There were some clear chances that were miscued though - Saliba and Odegaard spring to mind. But despite the possession it never really felt like United were hanging on by the skin of their teeth although at 1-1 it did seem inevitable that Arsenal would go on to win.

Relooking at the early VAR decision to disallow Martinellii's goal it is what it is however referees are supposed to be letting more go in games now so it is a bit soft. I'd be annoyed if it went against my team though.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 4th September 2022 at 19:24.

And you can say the same about John Henry and the Glazers and so on. Ultimately these billionaire owners are in it for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    And you can say the same about John Henry and the Glazers and so on. Ultimately these billionaire owners are in it for the money.
    No. For the Emirates owners, money (if they make any) is the cherry on the cake. It’s exactly the same school of thoughts as the LIV circuit, the Football World Cup, etc.
    The real goals are political as it shows them in a more positive light by association. Yes, some people (like a few of us here) will see that as a way to put them under closer scrutiny but in a way we are bot the market. The EPL and PSG, with its superstar attacking trio are bigger than the UK or the French domestic market.
    It is what it is, and money talks. But it would be naive to think the objective is making money
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    You’ve spent 1.7billion in the last 10 years.

Don’t talk nonsense about profits etc, it’s all
    a Fugazi.

City’s global fan base is literally minuscule compared to the big historic European sides.

City are a great side but let’s not beat around the bush. It’s just been built by an Arab chap throwing money at it.

And in the same period , Liverpool have spent £1.2 billion . What’s your point .
    Tiny fan base . Great .
    I long for the day I can proudly point to our Kuala Lumpur supporters club .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    No. For the Emirates owners, money (if they make any) is the cherry on the cake. It’s exactly the same school of thoughts as the LIV circuit, the Football World Cup, etc.
    The real goals are political as it shows them in a more positive light by association. Yes, some people (like a few of us here) will see that as a way to put them under closer scrutiny but in a way we are bot the market. The EPL and PSG, with its superstar attacking trio are bigger than the UK or the French domestic market.
    It is what it is, and money talks. But it would be naive to think the objective is making money
    Thats exactly the point I was also trying to make but it seems it goes over the heads of many.

It is what it is, I do not see how it would diminish any City fans credentials to concede and accept that fact.

As I have said many times I do not think it takes away from what the club have achieved and fair play to them if I was a fan of a team with similar ownership I too would still celebrate and enjoy my teams successes.

The big result of MU beating ARS today is not so much this individual result but how they have improved in 4 games, every game they look better and better, new players come in and old players have to get an understanding of ETH way of playing, it will take a long time to understand and gel but hopefully its getting there.

ETH could just be for MU what Klopp was coming in at LP..

Craftsman
    Well, that was incredibly painful. Worst I've felt since Spurs game last season.

Arteta last the game with the triple-sub at 75 mins, he made massive mistake with that. It killed our momentum, left us even more open to the counter, and was completely unnecessary when we were in total control and turning the screw. Deeply frustrating.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    The big result of MU beating ARS today is not so much this individual result but how they have improved in 4 games, every game they look better and better, new players come in and old players have to get an understanding of ETH way of playing, it will take a long time to understand and gel but hopefully its getting there.

It looks promising, Liverpool needs to get their s**t together, and this season could be excellent... can't help but wonder where they would be now if Nunez hadn't made an idiot out of himself.

Master

Oh hell what a horrible thought, hope you are wrong!

Feeling somewhat sanguine about the arsenal game. Felt we controlled the game for the vast majority, If we play like that in the rest of our games against the big 6 I think the season will go well

Master
    And in the same period , Liverpool have spent £1.2 billion . What’s your point .
    Tiny fan base . Great .
    In that period Liverpool have sold 800m worth of players for a spend of 400m.

City have a net spend of 1 billion.

That billion is also not raised through legitimate sponsorship or short sales, merchandise etc. Its 90% the owners own money being pumped in via stealth deals to dodge FFP.

It’s not rocket science all this, I don’t know why you don’t just say I don’t care, thats what I’d say if it was the other way round.

Master
    Keep up!

https://www.mancity.com/news/club/ma...-2021-63751509

That billion is also not raised through legitimate sponsorship or short sales, merchandise etc. Its 90% the owners own money being pumped in via stealth deals to dodge FFP.

It’s not rocket science all this, I don’t know why you don’t just say I don’t care, thats what I’d say if it was the other way round.

Why is it always City’s total spend and then your net spend ? It’s as sure as night follows day that this will always be your retort.
    So 600 million more spent right? Care to do the maths per trophy ?
    How much have you spent since the inception of the Premier League or is it just a period that suits your narrative ?
    Check the sponsorship deals, you might be surprised these days .

Why don’t you just say you don’t like Arab money ?

Master

https://www.footballtransfers.com/en...et-spend-kings

That reliable (!) data source Twitter:

Net spend past 5 years:

1. Man Utd (£545m)
    2. Arsenal (£440m)
    3. Chelsea (£385m)
    4. Tottenham (£331m)
    5. Liverpool (£216m)
    6. Man City (£203m)

or

Net spend 18/19 - 22/23 (assuming Chelsea sign Gordon):

Chelsea: -526m
    Man Utd: -510m
    Arsenal: -489m
    West Ham: -352m
    Newcastle: -351m
    Spurs: -318m
    Villa: -276m
    Wolves: -275m
    Liverpool: -236m
    Fulham: -208m
    Everton: -185m
    Man City: -170m

I have no idea how accurate any of these numbers are, by the way! Just a Google search!

Master
    What are you on about here ?

Both spends are listen and both net spends are listen.

Oh and it’s city that have spent the most money since the inception of the premier league.

Master
    Net spend in the decade following City’s takeover in 2008 (from Transfermarkt)….

And English clubs from the start of the Prem to this season…..

Last edited by benny.c; 4th September 2022 at 22:34.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    https://www.footballtransfers.com/en...et-spend-kings

That reliable (!) data source Twitter:

Net spend past 5 years:

1. Man Utd (£545m)
    2. Arsenal (£440m)
    3. Chelsea (£385m)
    4. Tottenham (£331m)
    5. Liverpool (£216m)
    6. Man City (£203m)

or
    I think the issue is where that money has come from and how money is funnelled through other businesses to cover the source of those sponsorship funds.

Man U have spent a lot over many failed managers, unfortunately most of it is just more debt added to the club while the profits are siphoned off by the owners, be interesting to see if they do consider selling the club this year, some say its inevitable..

Master
    be interesting to see if they do consider selling the club this year, some say its inevitable..
    Maybe Putin will try and tempt the Glazers for the extra income of course.

Master
    What are you on about here ?

Both spends are listen and both net spends are listen.
    😳

Can’t help you. Just saw some “net spend” numbers for the last 5 years and posted them. Thought ‘net spend’ was where it’s at. Anyway, no idea if the figures (or any others) are accurate.

Master

I'm not getting carried away yet as there's been too many false dawns since the exit of Sir Alex, but there's an identity appearing in this team and I like what I see.

Maybe Putin will try and tempt the Glazers for the extra income of course.
    I think Putin's probably done with Prem teams since his previous sock puppet got booted out of Chelsea.

Master
    What are you on about here goat ?

Both spends are listen and both net spends are listed

Oh and it’s city that have spent the most money since the inception of the premier league.

So poor from Arsenal, all season we have looked solid at the back, yesterday we looked like Arsenal of old, everyone pushing forward and no one holding in midfield. Was frustrating to watch, Martinelli goal was a soft foul.