closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best sub £10k watch you can actually buy?

Best sub £10k watch you can actually buy?

Afternoon all,

Having been out of the game for a few years either side of Covid now starting to seriously think about a new purchase.

The whole Rolex ‘circus’ was one reason I dropped out but on balance wasn’t a bad thing to start considering other brands.

A new design ethos and expanded ranges and materials at places like Breitling, Panerai and IWC have caught my eye recently.

Just interested in what the TZ Community thinks is the best watch currently available/attainable for under £10k?

There’s a been a few recently but very taken by this new more wearable 41mm Pilots Chronograph in bronze by IWC.

Also really liking the Breitling Heritage Datora which for £200 over £10k gives you a bit of Patek on the cheap!

Any other suggestions?

P.S. I’m not wedded to chronographs just happen to like these two. Very happy with a diver style watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the JLC Polaris Mariner auto is a lovely watch and it's probably what I'd spend my sub-£10k on.

If I had that kind of budget, I'd be drawn to Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Breguet, L.U.Chopard, and Dornblüth as brands to explore further.

A couple of personal favourites -

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    If I had that kind of budget, I'd be drawn to Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Breguet, L.U.Chopard, and Dornblüth as brands to explore further.

Totally Agree

Have looked at both the Blancpain and GO more than once.

Master
    Zenith El Primero has got to worth a look? There are a number of models at, or under, the £10K point.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had the Bathyscape - fantastic watch and quality wise the best I've owned but lug-lug was a tad too big for me.

I'd go for a GO Panomatic or the Zenith Chronomaster Sport

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Had the Bathyscape - fantastic watch and quality wise the best I've owned but lug-lug was a tad too big for me.

I'd go for a GO Panomatic or the Zenith Chronomaster Sport

These are both on my list to try on as potential purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

Yep don't disagree with the suggestions and I really want to like the Bathyscape but never been able to love the squared off hands and what looks like really small markers.

Overall design is lovely and who can't love a BP but its just not quite there for me.

But hey I've not seen one in the flesh so might pop across the to WE for a look.

Master
    How about a variation of a watch that The Prince of Wales wears, a Parmigiana is a true work of art. This one is slightly over budget but what a watch.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275140977...MAAOSwXhZh8m5G

I'd be very tempted by some of the Bulgari Octo Finissimo range. Some of them just look really remarkable.

Best sub £10k watch you can actually buy?

Another shout for the Blancpain Bathyscaphe.

Master
    Breguet Type XX 3800 Aeronavale is surely the thinking mans Daytona?

Craftsman
    Lots of nice watches shown , only caveat would be to buy new with large discount or preowned as the value of almost all of those watches sinks like a stone (if that is a concern for you)

Sent from my Pixel 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

About £2k less than £10k but I recently picked one up and am delighted with it.

Not so much discount scope (yet at least) compared to many Zenith but I think it is worth the asking if Breitling are asking similar for their latest chronos.

Zenith Chronomaster Original

Blog Entries
    Glashutte Original favourite watch by miles

Zenith Chronomaster sport https://subdial.co/products/zenith-c...rt-chronograph

IWC Pilot in rose gold https://subdial.co/products/iwc-pilo...raph-rose-gold

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms ceramic https://subdial.co/products/blancpai...scaphe-ceramic

The same but in blue https://subdial.co/products/blancpai...scathe-ceramic

Or if you want to push the boat out a bit there is a rose gold one for £13,790 which I think is pick of the bunch https://subdial.co/products/blancpai...rose-gold-43mm

Reading this and it’s mad that £10k is now the benchmark of how much you have to spend to get a watch that’s an alternative to one you want!

I know that’s not how the post is written but …….

It’s like the VW ad, it’s not a golf but it sounds/feels/smells like a golf!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mouldie View Post
    Reading this and it’s mad that £10k is now the benchmark of how much you have to spend to get a watch that’s an alternative to one you want!

Don’t read it like that at all. Just a thread about nice watches sub 10k.

Also you can get a Chopard Alpine Eagle 41mm discounted to around £10.5k

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Breguet Type XX 3800 Aeronavale is surely the thinking mans Daytona?

Horse for courses but that looks like it came out of an egg at a seaside grab machine to me!

Master
    This discontinued 40mm Gerald Genta ingenuir

Actually I think if I had 10k to spend I’d go for a private 114060 or if into vintage a 16610 or 14060.

The Blancpains are interesting though, great looking watches. Very tempting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    Horse for courses but that looks like it came out of an egg at a seaside grab machine to me!
    Owning a 3820, I can assure you it didn’t. I wish the Rolex I own had the same depth of quality in the “small things” like the date wheel font for example.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    Whaaaaatttt?

Imagine the best Chrono Omega, Rolex or Breitling make. And then instead of it being made in Switzerland by watchmakers, God made it instead. That's the Breguet Type XX.

Fantastic watch although best on strap not bracelet.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Whaaaaatttt?

Imagine the best Chrono Omega, Rolex or Breitling make. And then instead of it being made in Switzerland by watchmakers, God made it instead. That's the Breguet Type XX.

Helps if you like SUPER SHINY of course. I like Breguet but that’s really rather unpleasant on the bracelet imv.
    Last edited by Gareth-W; 14th June 2022 at 20:59.

I understand the point and its not unreasonable but I'm lucky to still have a 16710, a Kermit and a Datejust Turn-o-graph so it was just a case of not needing to chase the brand any more and genuinely wanting a different look for the collection.

As to other suggestion I have been a big fan of the Brequet in the past and love the more recent faux vintage version (see link below) but would need a hefty discount and to other points about value retention it will be of interest as you never know in this hobby!

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.c...hoCTuAQAvD_BwE

It’s quite interesting how an ever increasing number of members on this forum seem genuinely fed up with the Rolex song and dance and are moving in a different direction. A slow but noticeable trend - perhaps their strategy is starting to wear thin

Whaaaaatttt?

Absolutely!
    I'm looking for a decent 3800 as we speak-gorgeous watch but I also prefer it on a strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard View Post
    I think the JLC Polaris Mariner auto is a lovely watch and it's probably what I'd spend my sub-£10k on.
    Yep-blue dial Polaris Mariner date is glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    Yep-blue dial Polaris Mariner date is glorious.
    Very good call, I’d almost forgotten that was another one I’d spotted over the last couple of years.

I even posted about it 1-2 years asking about possible JLC discounts just before it was launched.

Looks great in this shot…..

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    The exam question was "watch you can actually buy" though

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    The exam question was "watch you can actually buy" though
    The poor guy in Harrods has been trying to flog the same one on bracelet for months know. Has offered it to three people I know.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The poor guy in Harrods has been trying to flog the same one on bracelet for months know. Has offered it to three people I know.
    Fiftysix on bracelet (4600E/110A-B487)?

I offered to buy one a couple of months ago, Harrods boutique, they wouldn't take my money. I did get a phone call and was told I was on a list, no guarantees, could be years. No attempts at cross-selling.

I can't quite work out what their angle would be on that one. Are you sure about the model?
    Last edited by M1011; 15th June 2022 at 02:06.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Fiftysix on bracelet (4600E/110A-B487)?

I offered to buy one a couple of months ago, Harrods boutique, they wouldn't take my money. I did get a phone call and was told I was on a list, no guarantees, could be years. No attempts at cross-selling.

I can't quite work out what their angle would be on that one. Are you sure about the model?
    Sorry the 4600E/000A-B487 which is in blue leather for £10,400 here https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/...000a-b487.html

Maybe ask to speak to Tim in Harrods. In all three cases he was the one who offered it. Two of the times were in May last month.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sorry the 4600E/000A-B487 which is in blue leather for £10,400 here https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/...000a-b487.html

Maybe ask to speak to Tim in Harrods. In all three cases he was the one who offered it. Two of the times were in May last month.
    Ah OK, I guess that makes more sense, the bracelet version is a bit harder to come by apparently. That said, I didn't realise the non-bracelet version was so readily available, tempting.. Tim's the guy I was speaking with, seems a nice chap.

Master
    Not sure whether the OP stated style of watch - Diver, Pilot etc?

Divers - Another fan of the Bathyscaphe here - probably one of the last to leave my collection. If the OP can stretch his budget, there's a lovely titanium Fifty Fathoms on SC at the moment for £10.25k.
    Definite quality also with the GO divers, should be within budget.

Chronographs - I've always liked the Breguet XX/XX1 range, a great buy pre-owned - again I believe there's one on SC at the moment. Also Zenith 1969 El Primero - 38mm or 42mm

About £2k less than £10k but I recently picked one up and am delighted with it.

Not so much discount scope (yet at least) compared to many Zenith but I think it is worth the asking if Breitling are asking similar for their latest chronos.

Zenith Chronomaster Original
    Now looking through the watch box to see what I can let go. Loving the aesthetic of this plus the quality movement.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The GS Omiwatari deserves to be in there somewhere. While light blue and very shiny watches aren't really for me, it looks great from both sides, and in person feels both special, and distinctly modern. And yes, you can actually buy them, I saw one at the weekend. Not cheap, but well within the budget.

Master

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidybeard View Post
    This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Looks like a lovely bit of kit. If I had a spare ten grand for a watch, I’d struggle to say no to one. That dial looks stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Looks like a lovely bit of kit. If I had a spare ten grand for a watch, I’d struggle to say no to one. That dial looks stunning.
    reviews are questionable 🤨

Great look3 years agoI ordered this watch for my husband birthday and it didn't work. I returned it and ordered another one because my husband liked the look so much. When I got the second watch. It didn't work. To shorten the story I had to have a battery installed.

Twateast · Reviewed on evine.com

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    One to try first , I had it, didn’t last long with me. Quite big on, no micro adjust either

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    One to try first , I had it, didn’t last long with me. Quite big on, no micro adjust either
    The JLC Polaris Mariner? It has a small amount of micro adjustment either side of the clasp-about 2mm each side I believe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    The JLC Polaris Mariner? It has a small amount of micro adjustment either side of the clasp-about 2mm each side I believe.
    sorry you are right it did , but it’s a relatively crude solution compared to glidelock or similar, it didn’t feel special to me for some reason (and I’m a Jlc fan also have an 8 day perpetual calendar)

Lovely watch but as I said one to try on rather than buy blind.

Blog Entries
    Buy both and alternate the colours!

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Fifty Fathoms

or a very nice Black Bay Pro and save a lot of money

Ive bought one of those two today…
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post

There are some very good suggestions and a couple that I don't agree with but it doesn't really matter... just get this, for more reasons than I can be bothered to say. You will not regret it.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet