closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Zaratsu polishing on Seiko …

Master

Zaratsu polishing on Seiko …

I think I already know the answer to this but hopefully I’m wrong:)
    I’ve got a scratch or two on my Zaratsu polished Seiko and by all accounts it should go back to Seiko Japan if I want them polished out. Seems like a bit of a pain in the arse so I just wondered if anybody knows of any U.K. polishers that all have mastered this art. They are only very minor marks not dings FYI. Has anybody tried doing it themselves ?
    Thanks .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zaratsu is basically Japanese marketing-babble for Sallaz polishing and I'd imagine some of the independents who work on Patek, AP etc would be able to do it if they have a Sallaz machine

Personally I'd send it back to Japan - doesn't take any longer really with fast shipping

Master
    Think there's a guy in Poland who does it, he's on Instagram. I'm not on Instagram so can't help further sorry 😳

I'd just send back to Japan when service due?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Zaratsu is basically Japanese marketing-babble for Sallaz polishing and I'd imagine some of the independents who work on Patek, AP etc would be able to do it if they have a Sallaz machine

Personally I'd send it back to Japan - doesn't take any longer really with fast shipping
    Sallaz is a brand of lapping machine so any place such as Watchworks should be able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Think there's a guy in Poland who does it, he's on Instagram. I'm not on Instagram so can't help further sorry 

I'd just send back to Japan when service due?
    https://www.instagram.com/lapinist_watchrestoration/

Master
    Thankyou very much:) I will try it out on some beaters first . I looked through your previous posts and the refinished stuff that you’ve done is great:) cheers. The Zaratsu polish is actually a bit of a pain as it’s super mirrored and shows any marks . I couldn’t find anybody in the U.K. to do it. Sending to Japan seems overkill . Maybe I’ll just wait until service time and I suspect by then it’ll be more worth while getting done and enjoy wearing it in the meantime.
    Very odd …. I replied to somebody on this thread and they’ve literally disappeared!! Thanks .
    I may well give watchworks a bell as I’m in Bristol .

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 13th June 2022 at 13:59.

Would you honestly just take the chance with polishing from an independent?

I understand servicing, but there is no going back if you get the case polished anything less than perfectly. Best case is it is done well, you are happy. But I expect not.
    Likely case is it will be below par, and you are unhappy, then send it to Japan anyway.
    Worst case they change the shape of the case, lugs etc and your watch is done for.
    You will resent it, and nobody will buy it.

I am sure there are skilled people here but why would you bother?

I will bet if you ask seiko uk, the lead times are no different to one of a very small pool of highly capable service centres in the uk.

Bonkers, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Would you honestly just take the chance with polishing from an independent?

I understand servicing, but there is no going back if you get the case polished anything less than perfectly. Best case is it is done well, you are happy. But I expect not.
    Likely case is it will be below par, and you are unhappy, then send it to Japan anyway.
    Worst case they change the shape of the case, lugs etc and your watch is done for.
    You will resent it, and nobody will buy it.

I am sure there are skilled people here but why would you bother?

I will bet if you ask seiko uk, the lead times are no different to one of a very small pool of highly capable service centres in the uk.

Bonkers, in my opinion.

I will contact Seiko UK and tell you the answer this week along with the price:)
    It will be interesting to see. I’ve also contacted the said guy mentioned in the replies above. It’s only swirls and very minor marks so nothing horrible that need doing. It won’t be like some of the Omega speedmaster MK2 redos that I’ve seen done where there is barely any metal left!!

Craftsman
    Personally I think Zaratsu polishing is just a marketing device. As others have remarked: The word zaratsu is actually derived from the German word sallaz, which is phonetically pronounced zarats in German. Sallaz is a brand of polishing machine. European brands also use this style of high polish known as black polish (Patek, AP, Breguet etc…). Not wishing to detract from the quality of polishing Seiko does, I’m confident you can get a good result in the UK. I don’t think this merits sending back to Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Speak to the Watch Polisher (on Instagram). He is a pretty honest guy and achieves excellent mirror finish on Rolexes.

FYI, I got quoted €1200 for a re-polish sending it back to Japan for a titanium case SBGA109 a few months ago. Was also told turn around time is about 12 weeks. (For bracelet and case mind)

Didn't send it yet, so can't comment on the quality of work. (Only hairlines, so not sure I want to bother.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    I’ve got a scratch or two on my Zaratsu polished Seiko and by all accounts it should go back to Seiko Japan if I want them polished out. Seems like a bit of a pain in the arse so I just wondered if anybody knows of any U.K. polishers that all have mastered this art.
    A few years ago I was going to buy a GS with "Zaratsu" polishing from an AD in Swindon. The piece had scratches (one or two quite deep) and the AD offered to polish them out. When I mentioned I thought it had to go back to Japan they stated they can polish in house. Next day I called Seiko UK and was informed by a very terse woman that they service and polish in the UK. I challenged that using the "Zaratsu" craftsmanship argument and she became very rude and said it's nonsense- it just goes under a polishing machine.

That put me right off the brand.

Grand Master
    Intrigued to know what ‘super- mirrored’ finish is! As one who’s refinished plenty of watches I’m curious.

The higher the quality of polished finish the easier it is to mark, sad but true.

If anyone wants to assess refinishing work, here’s a tip: get yourself a strong magnifier and look for faint tramlines in the polished bits. Also look at edges where brushed and polished finishes meet, there should be no signs of the graining/ brushing overlapping the polished part.

Also worth having a look at that watch you believe to be in mint condition because you’ve worn it sparingly......it’ll spoil your day if you’re a perfectionist!

Craftsman
    GS are right up there with Rolex on their marketing spiel. They are nice watches - I own a GS myself, but when people talk about getting Holy Trinity finishing for mass market pricing, I don’t think it’s the case. On the value proposition, they aren’t as good as they used to be.

Some interesting reading on this thread, thanks all.

I had long suspected that one of the problems with marketing the quality of polishing is that the watch’s charm is somewhat lost after a little use. I’m not sure I’d fancy a used GS with minor swirls on a high polish surface, vs a ‘regularly finished watch’.

All hypothetical, of course.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Some interesting reading on this thread, thanks all.

I had long suspected that one of the problems with marketing the quality of polishing is that the watch’s charm is somewhat lost after a little use. I’m not sure I’d fancy a used GS with minor swirls on a high polish surface, vs a ‘regularly finished watch’.

All hypothetical, of course.
    Indeed it is interesting. I’ve had several stainless watches that I’ve been able to tidy up a little so to speak but the fact that my effort may not match the Zaratsu will make me keep my Cape Cod in my drawer. Thank to all those of you that have replied. I will update this when I get my reply from Seiko as I emailed them this evening.

Then there is the so called diashield coating …does this affect the colour of the steel ? If one spot is polished does it all have to be done to match !! ?

Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 13th June 2022 at 20:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post
    FYI, I got quoted €1200 for a re-polish sending it back to Japan for a titanium case SBGA109 a few months ago. Was also told turn around time is about 12 weeks. (For bracelet and case mind)

Didn't send it yet, so can't comment on the quality of work. (Only hairlines, so not sure I want to bother.

What? 1200 Pounds Sterling?
    One thousand, Two hundred pounds?

No, 1200 Euros.

Master
    Euro or £££ it’s still a shit load of cash. The fact that’s it’s titanium and the bracelet too most likely ramps the cost up.

Those Virgin Ninjas at the top of Mount Iwate who do all the polishing don't come cheap

Master
    Can you believe it…….. I rang Seiko uk today regarding polishing my Zaratsu finished watch and they only do Grand Seiko refinishing. If you have standard Seiko they won’t do case refinishing on it, not even in Japan. It is however something that they hope to accommodate in the future. She advised that once out of Warranty I may can get it done elsewhere. So if it’s refinished it may well affect your warranty too. Not the end of the world but pretty annoying.

Been rather busy, but as stated, Euro, but also may be to do with the fact it's titanium.
    Seemed rather expensive, so didn't go for it though I may do at some point as having marks on a highly polished watch is a bit annoying.

As to the response from Seiko that is a bit disappointing, I'd have expected better tbh.