closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Fan Dance

Master

The Fan Dance

In July, I'm going to be attempting the Fan Dance with some friends as a Challenge.

Has anyone done this either as a general Challenge or Selection?
    Any tips or pointer?
    Which watch should I wear? ;-)

Master
    As a teenage Army cadet, I was in Sennybridge one year for our annual camp

Seeing grown men, who looked hard as nails, coming in through the gates absolutely broken, was a real eye-opener

When we arrived that week, the car-park was full. It was soon down to just a handful of cars

But I'm sure you'll have great fun :-)

I've MB'd it, spectacular views. Take plenty of water and flapjack 😁

Forgot to add, this is the part of SAS selection. You need to be very fit to do it, oh and a G Shock or Garmin is obligatory. 😁

The Fan Dance

Assume you are quite experienced on the mountains already?
    Usual warnings of prep for very changeable weather, some terrain that needs consideration, be properly prepped and savvy with navigation, have the right kit & levels of phys of all parties etc.

If you have any questions about yourself or your buddies over the above, I would think hard about doing it yet.

If you are good to go, then it can be a stunning place.
    Folks do die up there, so do not be blasé about the task.

Is it an organised challenge with checkpoints and support already out there for you?
    Or have you all just said - Sod it, let’s do the fan dance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 13th June 2022 at 13:13.

Not that difficult really.

I've done this numerous times, both as an Infantry soldier in my past life and now as a retired boring old fart, who likes walking the beacons and other Welsh peaks regularly. Pen y Fan is not difficult, indeed there are far harder walks in the immediate area. Its mystique IMHO comes from both the military connection, particularly that of UKSF, and ironically the relatively easy access to the summit. Google Pen Y Fan queues, you'll see what I mean.

I am presuming you will start @ the Storey Arm's up to the top of the Fan via Corn Ddu, down Jacob's ladder and then down the valley to the cattle grid turn around and do the route in reverse. If that is the case then firstly the tracks on the route are very, very, large and easy to see, unless you are doing this in whiteout or zero visibility due to mist or clag, you will not have any great issues with navigation. Secondly if it's a nice day it will be ram packed up there, rarely venture up there these days but if I do I will start my walk before dawn and even then I tend to meet numerous other walkers on my descent. The views are spectacular throughout the route particularly dropping down the valley to the cattle grid.

Take the normal kit required for the mountains, wind proof, waterproof, water, food etc etc, if it's not an organised event with leaders then ensure you have a map and compass and the knowledge to use them. Despite what I said about the routes being clear there are many routes and you will want to ensure you stay on the right route, or you could end up spending the night up there, great if it's planned, not so great if it's not. Be careful and watch your footing on Jacob's ladder though even that has been repaved and is relatively easy to climb these days. Don't worry your legs will let you know when your climbing Jacob's ladder. Pace yourself, drink the water and eat all the way round and it shouldn't be too bad.

The endurance / difficulty of the challenge of the Fan Dance is the speed & load the military have to carry and maintain on the various training and selection courses. I'm guessing you aren't on any of those. If I can pull up a sandbag, I do remember being on a junior NCO course when I and the rest of my course section took part in a stretcher race over a large part of the Fan Dance route. Carrying a stretcher made of tank tracks between us, and all carrying a wooden SLR (self loading rifle), & 50lb of sand on our backs (to simulate ammunition weight) not forgetting the good old steel infantry helmet bouncing on our heads, and the marvellously unsuitable issued boots on our trotters, whilst trying to get to the peak before the other sections in the race. It was pretty difficult but character building... apparently.

These days I walk / run up there with a lightweight daysack, have breakfast & a brew on Gwaun Taf before getting back down to the car park before all the tourists appear, far more enjoyable, but my character is far weaker as a consequence.

Enjoy the event hope it goes well for you, & you should of course wear a TF Everest on your wrist.

Master
    Organised event via Breakpoint, Ollie Ollerton's company.
    We will have a DS with us & checkpoints etc...
    However, it feels a little like they're being a bit Blase, IMO the training porgram isn't even close to enough.

I've a bit of experience in a past life, but not done any navigating for years.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Assume you are quite experienced on the mountains already?
    Usual warnings of prep for very changeable weather, some terrain that needs consideration, be properly prepped and savvy with navigation, have the right kit & levels of phys of all parties etc.

If you have any questions about yourself or your buddies over the above, I would think hard about doing it yet.

If you are good to go, then it can be a stunning place.
    Folks do die up there, so do not be blasé about the task.

Is it an organised challenge with checkpoints and support already out there for you?
    Or have you all just said - Sod it, let’s do the fan dance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Fantastic, thankyou.
    We're targeting 5hrs & carrying 35lb

Quote Originally Posted by den77 View Post

The endurance / difficulty of the challenge of the Fan Dance is the speed & load the military have to carry and maintain on the various training and selection courses. I'm guessing you aren't on any of those. If I can pull up a sandbag, I do remember being on a junior NCO course when I and the rest of my course section took part in a stretcher race over a large part of the Fan Dance route. Carrying a stretcher made of tank tracks between us, and all carrying a wooden SLR (self loading rifle), & 50lb of sand on our backs (to simulate ammunition weight) not forgetting the good old steel infantry helmet bouncing on our heads, and the marvellously unsuitable issued boots on our trotters, whilst trying to get to the peak before the other sections in the race. It was pretty difficult but character building... apparently.

These days I walk / run up there with a lightweight daysack, have breakfast & a brew on Gwaun Taf before getting back down to the car park before all the tourists appear, far more enjoyable, but my character is far weaker as a consequence.

Enjoy the event hope it goes well for you, & you should of course wear a TF Everest on your wrist.

Yep I’ve done it twice with weighted Bergen both times it was pretty brutal but really enjoyable too. The instant climb at the start past the phone box caught me off guard the first time..
    I wore walking boots, walking trousers a t shirt and a Casio pro trek , regardless of weather you may be very hot carrying weight. Took waterproofs in the Bergen of course, and loads of water. Take some Vaseline too for when you are a few hours in and start getting sort bits you didn’t know existed!
    Dan
    Last edited by DANH; 15th June 2022 at 18:44.

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    Fantastic, thankyou.
    We're targeting 5hrs & carrying 35lb
    The route I described is roughly 22km 5 hours is an achievable time for that distance over that terrain, particularly with guides / DS. It'll likely be warm up there in July but you never know...

Hope you enjoy it wet or dry.

Take some powdered water as a backup. It's much lighter than the wet stuff.