closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oil cooler for towing?

Oil cooler for towing?

I’m after some advice.
    Do you think I need an oil cooler fitting for towing a small 2 berth caravan?
    The car is a Peugeot 208 gti, manual and the towing weight is around 1250 kg.

208 GTI only has an 1150kg towing capacity.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    208 GTI only has an 1150kg towing capacity.

The caravan is 980kg so overestimated the peripherals (awning etc). Should be comfortably within limit.
    Would you recommend an oil cooler?

Craftsman
    Doubt it, modern synthetic oil is very tolerant. Your clutch on the other hand……

Blog Entries
    Check the factory specs and / or service bulletins. Do not rely on one dealer's answer. Ask around. Is there a caravan club in the UK? The Dutch equivalent would be the best spot for unbiased answers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I’m after some advice.
    Do you think I need an oil cooler fitting for towing a small 2 berth caravan?
    The car is a Peugeot 208 gti, manual and the towing weight is around 1250 kg.
    What a cruel thing to do to your Pug lol. We've got one but I wouldn't tow with it, love it too much. Get a stinky old oiler for that job

The caravan is 980kg so overestimated the peripherals (awning etc). Should be comfortably within limit.
    Sorry, firstly I would not tow a caravan with a 208GTI, but I guess that is your only option?

It will have an oil cooler as standard but if you are asking about an additional one then , depends on available space, pipework, oil thermostat etc.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I’d be careful as it could feel very unstable. A 208 is light car and whilst the caravan may be within limits it has a much greater surface area than a trailer. It could be wobbly in wind.

I’m after some advice.
    I would suggest asking Peugeot themselves for the information.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

An oil cooler is just another way of removing heat from the engine.

The only way of knowing for sure is to tow it and watch the water temperature. If it starts creeping up above normal then adding an oil cooler may help.
    Adding an oil cooler may well mean the car doesn't get up to temperature when you're not towing.

Honestly, I suspect that the GTI will have enough torque to pull the van as if it wasn't there. I don't think you'll overly stress the engine...
    The engine really isn't the reason a 208 is a piss poor choice for a towcar.

I fear for the 208gti fuel consumption while towing. Does it have a large tank?

Using a GTI to tow a caravan ought to be punishable in law. Severely.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    An oil cooler is just another way of removing heat from the engine.

The only way of knowing for sure is to tow it and watch the water temperature. If it starts creeping up above normal then adding an oil cooler may help.
    Adding an oil cooler may well mean the car doesn't get up to temperature when you're not towing.

Honestly, I suspect that the GTI will have enough torque to pull the van as if it wasn't there. I don't think you'll overly stress the engine...
    The engine really isn't the reason a 208 is a piss poor choice for a towcar.
    This.
    If it's not overheating don't bother.
    As has been said, modern synthetic oils can manage huge temperature differentials.