closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Spring bar pliers/tweezers advice

Spring bar pliers/tweezers advice

Does anyone have any recommendations? I don’t want to spend Bergeon money but equally I want something reliable that isn’t going to fall apart or break.

Be grateful for any helpful info. Thanks.
    Last edited by Scrubnut; 12th June 2022 at 11:04.

hi i bought a pair of ebay for £20 spring bar tweezer’s…honestly i was disappointed so ill be following the thread for suggestions too.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    I bought cheap ones then replaced the tips with Bergeon which are better quality, but it's all too easy to break them and they have to be treated as a consumable if the tool gets used frequently. I use a conventional springbar tool, it's far more convenient and easier for me, I only use the pliers-type if I really have to when the end pieces are a really snug fit, I don`t find it easy to use.

I recommend buying a decent case clamp to hold the watchhead steady whilst removing and refitting bracelets, makes the job far easier. Use a magnifier too, being able to see what you're doing helps a lot!

Master
    For straps, dental floss. A dedicated tool is better for some hard to reach springbars on bracelets (and I'm also curious what people have found to be best), but on any strap I've found it's floss for the win - no chance of a tragic slip...

Surely with dental floss you can’t control what you’re doing? It must result in springbars pinging across the room and scratched lugs as the end of the pin exits?
    Honestly it’s pretty easy in most cases - I tape up the back of the lugs, put on my reading glasses, use the right size springbar tool tip and take my time. I watch various you tube videos and people generally seem to really rush it without thinking. I appreciate there are people out there who lack fine motor skills and/or patience - but for most of us it’s not that hard is it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have the tweezers but find them really difficult to use and almost always revert back to spring bar tool.
    Magnifier helps though.

I think it's worth sharing what watch you hope to use them on. There's a multitude of low cost options for spring bar tweezers, but if you want to use them on a Rolex for example you'll need a fine tips which are harder to come by.

Master
    Have changed loads of straps with floss, and nothing ever pinged, or close to pinging. Just loop through twice and pull tight between strap and lug, then pull toward strap. It just pops gently out.

Can imagine why it would feel like it might fly off, but it never does. Possibly because pulling toward the side that's still locked in, and that holds it in place. Not sure - but it does work a charm for me

Master
    I bought a £20 pair and they were next to useless. I stumped up for some Bergeon tweezers, and although the initial out lay smarted, they are so easy to use and save a lot of drama and swearing. (for me at least!) should have done it sooner.

Master
    Bry is making one similar to Bergeon tweezer, but not sure when will it be out for sale and what the price is.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...er-Tip-Project

Quote Originally Posted by mjoranga View Post
    Bry is making one similar to Bergeon tweezer, but not sure when will it be out for sale and what the price is.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...er-Tip-Project

Thanks, I'm keeping my eye on this

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I think it's worth sharing what watch you hope to use them on. There's a multitude of low cost options for spring bar tweezers, but if you want to use them on a Rolex for example you'll need a fine tips which are harder to come by.

There won't be any Rolex. All mine have pierced lugs so its a pair of cocktail sticks and-a credit card! I tend to take the bracelet off a new watch and change it for leather or nato. A standard spring bar tool is ok for most things but some are very fiddly, like Eddies PRS22 style with the two little windows, it would be much easier to compress both ends at once.