closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A night in London (or 2)

A night in London (or 2)

We are going to Hyde Park on Saturday 25 and are considering staying for the night as there won’t be any train by the time the concert ends. Also considering coming on Friday to avoid the potential struggle with train strikes.
    Anyone has a decent cheap hotel nearby to recommend, or maybe an AirBnB (have never used them), please?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Good luck getting reasonably priced accommodation around Hyde Park area.

Have a look around Paddington using Booking.com and the like. Quite a few cheap and cheerful options but I bet a lot of people have a similar idea.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

An alternative might be to look for somewhere close to the tube served by night services? But still close to central London. Ealing, Hammersmith, Chiswick etc.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 11th June 2022 at 21:42.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have you considered pitching a tent in the park?

I’m sure the land owner wouldn’t mind……too much

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    We are going to Hyde Park on Saturday 25 a
    Rolling Stones?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Thank you for the suggestions. It’s time like these that being a member of one of those London clubs would prove invaluable

Craftsman
    We recently stayed in London for a similar event, I decided to pay the extra and booked a hotel within walking distance from the venue. We drove down early to make more of the trip and parked at the hotel. Yes it was the more expensive option, but for me it took all the hassle out of the situation and the Mrs could bring as many clothes she wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Rolling Stones?
    Yes!

Is it honestly worth seeing the Strolling Bones now? Pure pastiche.

There are Travel Lodges all over London, it doesn't have to be in the Hyde Park area.

Master
    The Frontline Club sometimes has accommodation open to non-members. https://www.frontlineclub.com/bedrooms/

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Is it honestly worth seeing the Strolling Bones now? Pure pastiche.

There are Travel Lodges all over London, it doesn't have to be in the Hyde Park area.
    I personally draw the line at a Premier Inn. Travelodges are too skanky for me.

Saw the Stones in 1995 when I was working in Mexico City. They were old codgers back then. When I say I saw them, I am sure they were their on a stage somewhere in front of me, but so far in the distance it was a complete waste of time.

I have seen them a few times since the late seventies. Never been disappointed by the show.
    Mick is getting close to 80 now, not sure my daughter will have many opportunities to see them.
    But for balance, the review is rather good: https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...ield-leverpool

Master
    If your thinking of using the overnight tube be aware there are strikes Friday/Saturday on the central, Jubilee & Victoria lines

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/tube-strike

Also the new Elizabeth line shuts at 11pm

Might limit the areas you search for accommodation.

Blog Entries
    holiday inn - check their site for locations - you could find one within walking distance (1/2hr walk) I think. I’ve stayed when wanting to partake of a few beverages and not wanting to get home - you get consistent quality - not high class but you have a bed etc for the night (or 2).
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

We are going to Hyde Park on Saturday 25 and are considering staying for the night as there won’t be any train by the time the concert ends. Also considering coming on Friday to avoid the potential struggle with train strikes.
    Anyone has a decent cheap hotel nearby to recommend, or maybe an AirBnB (have never used them), please?
    All the underground stations local to Hyde Park will be open after the show finishes (industrial action aside).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Yes Chris but I live in Kent
    We had a look but I am afraid we were rather surprised by the costs of even mediocre ones (which we wouldn’t have chosen anyway)
    Increasingly, we are considering paying both congestion and ULEZ, plus parking and driving back whenever the concert finishes.
    It seems the possible strikes, train fares and accommodation costs exceed the benefits of not having to drive back.

A night in London (or 2)

Yes Chris but I live in Kent
    We had a look but I am afraid we were rather surprised by the costs of even mediocre ones (which we wouldn’t have chosen anyway)
    Increasingly, we are considering paying both congestion and ULEZ, plus parking and driving back whenever the concert finishes.
    It seems the possible strikes, train fares and accommodation costs exceed the benefits of not having to drive back.
    Park outside the ULEZ zone in Streatham Hill, which is practical if you are coming from Kent.

Take the 137 bus direct from Streatham Hill to Marble Arch. Last bus back is 0055hrs, so no rush. £1.65 each way per person. Job done.

Everyone and their dog will be driving into London on a train/tube strike day. Let the bus take the strain, and save yourself megabucks in ULEZ, CC and parking.

You are welcome.

Thank you for this. Sounds excellent.

Saw the stones on thursday at Anfield , They were brilliant micks still at the top of his Game they where for for 2 Hours and they looked like they were having a Ball. It was a fantastic night ,last time i was at hyde park for a concert we had no problems getting the tube afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thank you for this. Sounds excellent.
    Some other ideas. I think Crossrail and most tube lines are running on the 25th June. So, you could park near Abbey Wood and do Crossrail to Tottenham Court Road and then Central line to Marble Arch. This, if it works would be better and quicker than the bus option.

Lots of options available. Just have to work out what is and what isn’t running (beyond National Rail), then be a bit creative with part driving and part use of TfL public transport.

Good luck.

Master
    Stayed in a premier in Pod a few weeks ago - ideal just crash
    £190 though - just near St Panc so ideal for the HS1

Craftsman
    If you're based in Kent, how about a late night taxi home? Granted it's a long way, but if you budget for £100-£150 (assuming it will cost the same as an airport transfer) for a late night taxi home, leave at midnight at get home a couple of hours later and sleep in your own bed.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Saw that this morning
    First I hope he doesn't get a bad one. Then we'll see if anything happens (anyone else test positive).

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    If you're based in Kent, how about a late night taxi home? Granted it's a long way, but if you budget for £100-£150 (assuming it will cost the same as an airport transfer) for a late night taxi home, leave at midnight at get home a couple of hours later and sleep in your own bed.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk
    I don’t know how far down the line you are in Kent but I can wholeheartedly recommend Amber Cars in Plumstead- obviously in the right corner of London and I’m sure they’ll be happy to do a run into Kent. I use them whenever I’m in SE London - prices and service are good!