closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ULEZ Expansion 2023

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Angela Rayner reported to have said that ULEZ is coming to “every town and city across the UK”. Should have invested in the businesses that make the infrastructure.
    If that's true and on video that's the next general election determined.

It's like these people don't want to get into number 10.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I need to drive to the ulez zone this week (not congestion zone). My car is ulez compliant according to the website, so do I need to do anything before or during my time driving there?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I need to drive to the ulez zone this week (not congestion zone). My car is ulez compliant according to the website, so do I need to do anything before or during my time driving there?
    No, as long as you're sure your car is compliant, then you don't need to do anything.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I read that they need the expansion revenue to fund TFL, the other elephant in the room is that for electric or current ICE cars the pollution from the tyres and dust from the roads are the largest polluters, but mustn’t confuse the rhetoric with facts that don’t fit.
    I’m not sure it is the elephant in the room, even TfL aren’t ignoring tyre, brake and road particulates;

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/about-t...0we%20breathe.

What they aren’t doing though is proposing a scheme that will actually stop it. Exempting old vehicles from driving in London by them paying a fee won’t stop it, although it’s obviously intended to push people to buy something lower emission.

Modern ICE cars are indeed massively cleaner than older ones, seems to me that more would be gained from introducing a scrappage scheme for people who live in the ULEZ zone. A Euro VI ICE is very low emission even at the tailpipe.

Govt also need to encourage the uptake of cleaner domestic and industrial heating systems, again large contributors to particulate emissions, but that (and a scrappage scheme) doesn’t raise revenue.

Master
    I don’t understand how a scrappage scheme for anything can be viewed as environmentally friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    I don’t understand how a scrappage scheme for anything can be viewed as environmentally friendly.
    The fumes from old cars are killing people every day.

How is keeping them friendly at all?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilT View Post
    Because it gets the oldest and by default most polluting cars off the streets? A large part of the raw materials can then be recycled.

Yes, carbon was used to build any scrappage scheme car in the first place, but by the time a car isn’t ULEZ compliant that’s been dwarfed by the carbon it has created burning fossil fuel. From what I read, petrol cars as old as 2005 will be compliant (Euro IV standard), although diesels need to be Euro VI, so generally 2015 onwards.

Allowing the older most polluting vehicles to pay to enter London makes no sense to me, from a reducing pollution point of view.

Master
    I read that they need the expansion revenue to fund TFL, the other elephant in the room is that for electric or current ICE cars the pollution from the tyres and dust from the roads are the largest polluters, but mustn’t confuse the rhetoric with facts that don’t fit.
    Tyre, brake & road dust is estimated to contribute around 20-25% of total pollutants, with exhausts the remainder.

Surely that just indicates that things are heading in the right direction. Dramatically reducing pollution from exhaust emissions is bound to result in an increase in the proportion of non-exhaust emissions making up the overall picture.

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/assets/d...eset_Final.pdf
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Why can you drive a non-ULEZ vehicle from the M25 then east along the M4 to it`s junction with the A312 but can only do a u-turn and head back towards the M25 again without dipping into the ULEZ charge zone (as well as not being able to drop off at Heathrow.....)?

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    Tyre, brake & road dust is estimated to contribute around 20-25% of total pollutants, with exhausts the remainder.
    Where did you find that, I do some work for a company in Cambridge whose business is particulate analysis, this has come up as a regular discussion , the conclusion is always the same, it’s about politics not the environment

Politics in The George? Harrumph harrumph.

The entire thing is a farce. Unless you take all vehicles off the road, which realistically can’t happen, you wlll get pollution, even from electric vehicles, or hydrogen when they arrive. You will still get the particulates from brake/tyre dust, and the biggest contributory factor to this is heavier vehicles, so electric cars with batteries, lorries, busses, 4x4’s etc.
    The actual elephant in the room for me, well, a pair of them;
    Everyone tomorrow has an electric car. Sorted? No… what would be the level of pollution caused solely by electric vehicles in the ULEZ… I guess someone could calculate that, and I suspect it will still be a big figure.

The second elephant, everyone has their electric compliant car to use, aside from fuel industry , and petrol stations almost going broke overnight, the government losing billions on road vehicle fund licence, I wonder what TFL will do with the money they can’t take…

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    The entire thing is a farce. Unless you take all vehicles off the road, which realistically can’t happen, you wlll get pollution, even from electric vehicles, or hydrogen when they arrive. You will still get the particulates from brake/tyre dust, and the biggest contributory factor to this is heavier vehicles, so electric cars with batteries, lorries, busses, 4x4’s etc.
    Tyers yes, brakes, no. Regenerative braking produces lower break wear emissions.

Here's that tl;dr again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Tyers yes, brakes, no. Regenerative braking produces lower break wear emissions.

Here's that tl;dr again.

Sorry to be pedantic, but lower break wear emissions? Not none, some...I solely electric cars where on the road, it would still be a contribution to polution.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    In other words, take all ICE cars off the road and reduce pollution by 75%?

Sorry to be pedantic, but lower break wear emissions? Not none, some...I solely electric cars where on the road, it would still be a contribution to polution.
    That's what I said. Lower, not none. It depends on how much braking is frictionless. All vehicles pollute, the report I linked to offers some suggestions to mitigate non exhaust emissions.

The actual elephant in the room for me, well, a pair of them;
    Everyone tomorrow has an electric car. Sorted? No… what would be the level of pollution caused solely by electric vehicles in the ULEZ… I guess someone could calculate that, and I suspect it will still be a big figure.

The second elephant, everyone has their electric compliant car to use, aside from fuel industry , and petrol stations almost going broke overnight, the government losing billions on road vehicle fund licence, I wonder what TFL will do with the money they can’t take…
    I must admit this has occurred to me too.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Nothing yet, it’s not in operation till Aug 29th.

Here's that tl;dr again.

I haven't read your link but yes regenerative braking must reduce brake wear, and therefore dust massively (caveat, if driven accordingly). I add my caveat because when I drive our Suzuki hybrid with some forethought, anticipating junctions etc I only have to tap the actual brake pedal in the last few feet to bring the car to an actual halt, 95% of the braking has already been done by the regenerative system. Many don't look ahead and plan accordingly it seems.

Had to say farewell to my 330d 2010 BMW estate…only had 80k on the clock and had planned on keeping it for several more years.
    Fortunately now in a RAV4 hybrid which is a fantastic motor but a lot poorer
    Hope it hits Labour at the ballot box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ELD1970 View Post
    Had to say farewell to my 330d 2010 BMW estate…only had 80k on the clock and had planned on keeping it for several more years.
    Fortunately now in a RAV4 hybrid which is a fantastic motor but a lot poorer
    Hope it hits Labour at the ballot box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably worth reading some of the other threads here re labour and ULEZ to get a more informed view if you hope it hits them at the ballot box.

I'm not pro labour or conservative at the moment but to blame labour is misguided.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Nothing yet, it’s not in operation till Aug 29th.
    I think that there is a decent chance that implementation will be delayed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I think that there is a decent chance that implementation will be delayed.
    You could well be right, there are a lot of Labour MPs not in favour.

Master
    There is no easy way out of this for the mayor. Go ahead and the owners of the cars that have to pay the charge will be unhappy. Delay or abandon and the people who went out and replaced their cars with ULEZ compliant ones will be understandably upset

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ELD1970 View Post
    Yes, I did the same last year with my 2011 330d Touring with around the same mileage. Once I’d got over the gutless 4cyl engine and adapted to the steering-by-wire, I’m actually really enjoying the ‘19 320d Touring I replaced it with. 9 more mpg, and it handles miles better (despite being on 19” alloys, which some people claim to cause too hard a ride). It’s only money…

There’s no doubt we’re going to be paying true ‘congestion’ charges (ie entry fee levied on all vehicles), or electronic road pricing (ie charged according to mileage), or greater fuel taxes, or some combination. Total tax take from public travel certainly isn’t going to fall: just ask the Sunak-Hunt axis how their Tory tax-reduction program is going 🤣

Craftsman
    Also inside M25 and sold a perfectly good vehicle sooner than I should have.

Blog Entries
    Reality finally sinking in perhaps.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Reality finally sinking in perhaps.
    That's BP material, not G&D

Blog Entries
    That's BP material, not G&D
    Guess you missed these.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If that's true and on video that's the next general election determined.

It's like these people don't want to get into number 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Angela Rayner reported to have said that ULEZ is coming to “every town and city across the UK”. Should have invested in the businesses that make the infrastructure.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    There is no easy way out of this for the mayor. Go ahead and the owners of the cars that have to pay the charge will be unhappy. Delay or abandon and the people who went out and replaced their cars with ULEZ compliant ones will be understandably upset

Guess you missed these.
    Oh that makes it alright then, as you were.

Blog Entries
    Oh that makes it alright then, as you were.
    Never said that. Just wondered why you weren't on duty earlier. As you were.

Master
    Never said that. Just wondered why you weren't on duty earlier. As you were.
    There was nothing in my post that was political, I just said that the mayor can’t win either way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    There was nothing in my post that was political, I just said that the mayor can’t win either way.

If you felt that way fine, I can accept that.

I’m actually in tears for you all, boo hoo hoo.
    Never heard a bigger bunch of cry babies

Just a reminder that ULEZ kicks off tomorrow, and it is an easy to forget about a none compliant car when you are on autopilot in the morning and in a routine.

Master
    Interesting story in the FT today about the charge being tax deductible me if incurred in the line of extraordinary work ( ie. Not commuting).

Worth checking if you’re a trades person and driving into London for clients.

* usual disclaimer, I’m not a qualified tax advisor, accountant, lawyer, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Interesting story in the FT today about the charge being tax deductible me if incurred in the line of extraordinary work ( ie. Not commuting).

Worth checking if you’re a trades person and driving into London for clients.

* usual disclaimer, I’m not a qualified tax advisor, accountant, lawyer, etc.
    They'll likely add £12.50 to any bill and tax back so quids in!

A trunk road on the edge of ULEZ, that follows the outer path of, and is outside the ULEZ is near me.

Looking forward to all those non compliant diesels being concentrated along this road.

Yep, we’ve got a tree surgeon coming soon and the first question he asked was if we’re in ulez or not.

Master
    9:30 am and it’s eerily quiet here in central London. Nosier than lock-down, but definitely quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    9:30 am and it’s eerily quiet here in central London. Nosier than lock-down, but definitely quieter.
    I cycled from south of Kingston to Kew Bridge via Teddjngton and Richmond. All in the ULEZ.

It was eerily quiet on the roads. Maybe it is because the kids have not gone back to school yet.

We’re just outside ulez somehow and next to a station. Road is always full with commuters but today someone has been desperate enough to park over a quarter of our drive. BMW, naturally.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Maybe it is because the kids have not gone back to school yet.
    I always noticed much less traffic when schools are out.

In my day we took the school bus or when older cycled 4miles each way to school. The school bike sheds were full with bikes. Now huge 4x4 each with booster seats in the back transport the little darlings one at a time and clog up the roads across the country. Oh for the good old days of conkers on a string and sticks for amusement, mud on the knees and cuts and bruises from falling on the gravel in the playground.

I’ll get my coat.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

In my day we took the school bus or when older cycled 4miles each way to school. The school bike sheds were full with bikes. Now huge 4x4 each with booster seats in the back transport the little darlings one at a time and clog up the roads across the country. Oh for the good old days of conkers on a string and sticks for amusement, mud on the knees and cuts and bruises from falling on the gravel in the playground.

I’ll get my coat.
    When the schools are back it adds 10 mins to my commute, when I was at school in the 70s and 80s anybody who got taken to school by their parents would never have lived it down

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well is this ulez stuff gets cars off the road and people walk or cycle maybe there is hope …

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Well is this ulez stuff gets cars off the road and people walk or cycle maybe there is hope …
    But who wants to walk or cycle ??

Perhaps the public transport system needs to cater more successfully for "getting cars off the road".

I can't imagine there will be any material drop in traffic, given a small minority of cars were not ULEZ compliant, of which I suspect many will be second vehicles or already replaced (scrappage scheme etc).

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

I’ll get my coat.
    Simpler, different times M...Now, if it's not expensive, heavily Lux branded and/or capable of being flexed on their socials, ain't worth having/ doing...everything/ everybody, all human experiences now a commodity, personal brand...consumer/marketing BS for the win.
    Last edited by Passenger; 29th August 2023 at 13:39.

Master
    Blog Entries
    On our local news tonight (West Midlands) Birmingham Uni has published their study of the clean air zone which was carried out after it had been running for Seven months result no discernible change.

Birmingham Council published the figures for the charges

£26m collected in payment by the public
    £52m collected in Fines

Think what you like it ain’t working but filling Council coffers does