closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Platinum Daytona

Master
    Blog Entries

Platinum Daytona

My 5711 having little wrist time nowadays for some reason. Prefer wearing the Aquanaut

Would you trade for a Platinum Daytona?

Any Platinum Daytona owners here?

Craftsman
    Have you tried one? The weight is an interesting novelty but I know more than one who found it uncomfortable wearing for an extended period.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never tried one - did attempt to try one many years ago in the US but a customer was taking too long trying it on so I didnt bother.

I used to wear a DSSD as a daily for a few years.

Blog Entries
    I hesitate to comment on such exalted watches with which I have very limited experience but, for me, there's no way I'd trade a 5711 for a Daytona (any Daytona).

I find the PP 5711 to be a visually interesting watch. It's rarer than the Daytona. The Daytona is far less interesting to me and is too small for a chrono (for my eyes).

If you were comparing the 5711 vs. platinum Day-Date 36 or 40 (especially the ice blue, non-diamonds, markers only, non-Roman dial), it would be a harder decision for me. But I think if I already had a 5711 I'd keep it.

In short, and I know this is absurdly subjective, keep the 5711. For me, it has more interest than the Daytona and, for the foreseeable future, seems likely to me to remain far more unobtainable than the Daytona (even in platinum) will be.

P.S. I forgot to mention: I have quite a large collection of watches and I wear them in rotation. I try to be quite strict and if I find that I am skipping a watch when it comes to its turn then I will often put it up for sale. However, before that I'll often take it out of rotation and put it away in a box out of sight for a while. When I eventually take it out of its box months later, I'll know if I want to keep it or not. Quite often I realise I like it too much to sell and I enjoy wearing it again.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 10th June 2022 at 20:41.

Master
    Yes I would trade. Nearly bought a platona Daytona a few years back when you could actually get them and at a discount. Great watch and great weight imo. The 5711 just didn’t do anything for me.

Blog Entries
    Personally I would just cash out if not wearing.

I’d trade. The 5711 did nothing for me. My Aquanaut was always preferable. I’d love a Platona but fear the nearest I’ll get is when my WG blue dial daytona arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    My 5711 having little wrist time nowadays for some reason. Prefer wearing the Aquanaut

I think...

...that if you're asking the internet about a £60k (without looking) trade or deal then you should step away from the computer and think about what is really important to you✳︎. Especially when you have a second PP.

✳︎ - maybe watches are the most important thing to you. In that case, crack on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I think...

...that if you're asking the internet about a £60k (without looking) trade or deal then you should step away from the computer and think about what is really important to you
    You must be new here...

This is surely the right place to come for this kind of discussion.

I take your point, but equally, this is the place to come to ask for a comparison between a Doxa and a ... I dunno. A Seiko?

£60k is what I bought my first house for (and I hate that I'm already sounding like my parents did, thirty years ago.) OP is asking which watch he prefers. Either he's incapable of making decisions for himself, or he's polling the hive-mind for which would be the better financial decision.

Hey, OP - I've got a good financial decision for you. Buy a smart Nomos, and invest the rest. It'll be prettier than a shiny Daytona, too. (There. That's my advice.)

I wouldn’t part with the 5711. The 5711 is such a unique and special piece. Way more visual impact vs the platona .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think...

...that if you're asking the internet about a £60k (without looking) trade or deal then you should step away from the computer and think about what is really important to you✳︎. Especially when you have a second PP.

✳︎ - maybe watches are the most important thing to you. In that case, crack on.

Well maybe I needed to give more info:

1) Firstly - its a bit of fun getting peoples opinions and experiences on here (otherwise I wouldn't be here)
    2) Purchased my 5711 at retail - not that I think it matters. But I have not gone and blown / bought my PP at some crazy online price
    3) If I cashed in for the money it would be sitting in the bank regardless.
    4) I would of course not do this blind without eventually seeing the watch - like I said its nice getting views / jokes etc
    Last edited by kultschar; 10th June 2022 at 22:53.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyik View Post
    I wouldn’t part with the 5711. The 5711 is such a unique and special piece. Way more visual impact vs the platona .

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with the dial to be honest.

It can look amazing in natural light, showing that lovely blue etc. However in the shade or artificial lighting its more a grey and the appeal goes. Its pretty strange in that aspect, unlike another blue dialled watch of mine looks the same regardless of lighting!! Maybe I should only wear it during the day!!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I take your point, but equally, this is the place to come to ask for a comparison between a Doxa and a ... I dunno. A Seiko?

£60k is what I bought my first house for (and I hate that I'm already sounding like my parents did, thirty years ago.) OP is asking which watch he prefers. Either he's incapable of making decisions for himself, or he's polling the hive-mind for which would be the better financial decision.

Hey, OP - I've got a good financial decision for you. Buy a smart Nomos, and invest the rest. It'll be prettier than a shiny Daytona, too. (There. That's my advice.)
    Smart Nomos look interesting but not my style.

No financial advice needed thanks!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    I’d trade. The 5711 did nothing for me. My Aquanaut was always preferable. I’d love a Platona but fear the nearest I’ll get is when my WG blue dial daytona arrives.
    Isn't that your second or third Blue Dial WG Daytona (or was that another forum member???)

Yes I do love the Aquanaut - if I ever got rid it would only be for a 5164.

The Daytona is made of precious metals, it has a beautiful weight and build quality. In short it’ll last a lifetime. No disrespect, having had a white dial 5711 in steel, there is absolutely no comparison unless you value the aesthetics of the 5711 over the Daytona. The 5711 in steel was in essence a £20k watch. The Daytona £60k. At similar secondary values on the pre owned market, I personally think you getter better value with the Daytona.

My Veyron isn’t getting much drivetime, should I trade it for a Mondeo?
    I’m not a fan of either model but Patek is Patek and Rolex is Rolex. There is a huge gulf between them. I would trade for a better Patek, that’s what I did when I got rid of my hugely overated 5167.

I’d keep the 5711 and trade the Aquanaut. Whatever your preferred watch though it’s an interesting dilemma to think about trading in for what would have been unaffordable watch and maybe coming out financially better.

Hey Paul -

The Platona is a heavy watch. I tried it on a few times over the years (back in the days when you could buy at c£50k RRP from an AD) and I dismissed it as too heavy - yeah, another of my mistakes!! [And I enjoy my SD43 for long-term wear - I've not owned the DSSD.].

I have the same as you in the PPs (as we know ), I often wear the 5711 but never the 5167 (so the reverse). I agree the 5711 is not that exciting to look at, but I find it just so comfortable to wear and under the radar, in many ways for me the perfect watch (hacking seconds would have been nice though!). My quandary with selling the 5711 is that I'd never be able to replace it (I wouldn't pay the massive premium), and I think I'd come to regret having let it go. But, you might have reached further in the process than me and got past that stage.

The Platona is a looker, lovely dial - I just didn't think I could live with the weight for frequent wear. Definitely try and give one a try ASAP, it may make the decision for you.

Best of luck making your decision!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    The Daytona is made of precious metals, it has a beautiful weight and build quality. In short it’ll last a lifetime. No disrespect, having had a white dial 5711 in steel, there is absolutely no comparison unless you value the aesthetics of the 5711 over the Daytona. The 5711 in steel was in essence a £20k watch. The Daytona £60k. At similar secondary values on the pre owned market, I personally think you getter better value with the Daytona.
    Thanks for the input. I think I can probably handle the weight ok and it would get a fair rotation anyhow. I guess it will be strange the first time regarding weight since I have a SS version. Kind of the opposite of when I first tried a titanium Omega.

Not sure if correct or bull but I have read that it wears a tad bigger then the SS variants and physically is.

Although the PP 5711 is quite obviously a grade A blue chip watch with huge cache - imho if you held a 5711 in one hand
    and a platinum Daytona in the other- the Daytona looks and feels about 5 times more special…….
    It’s a no brainer- the Platinum Daytona is a truly beautiful watch.
    One major issue though is clearly the price- I needed a single extra bracelet link for mine and the price for 1 platinum link is (gulp) £1500

Not sure what the supply is like these current post covid days but in more recent years my local Rolex AD contact told me they
    received only 2 platinum Daytona’s every 12 months and usually had about 5 customers on a waiting list for them.
    Despite the heavy platinum weight like all Daytona’s the watch is extremely comfortable - within minutes you don’t even
    notice it’s on the wrist.

I think the ice blue dial looks special and is actually more legible than some Daytona dials……

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Hey Paul -

The Platona is a heavy watch. I tried it on a few times over the years (back in the days when you could buy at c£50k RRP from an AD) and I dismissed it as too heavy - yeah, another of my mistakes!! [And I enjoy my SD43 for long-term wear - I've not owned the DSSD.].

I have the same as you in the PPs (as we know ), I often wear the 5711 but never the 5167 (so the reverse). I agree the 5711 is not that exciting to look at, but I find it just so comfortable to wear and under the radar, in many ways for me the perfect watch (hacking seconds would have been nice though!). My quandary with selling the 5711 is that I'd never be able to replace it (I wouldn't pay the massive premium), and I think I'd come to regret having let it go. But, you might have reached further in the process than me and got past that stage.

The Platona is a looker, lovely dial - I just didn't think I could live with the weight for frequent wear. Definitely try and give one a try ASAP, it may make the decision for you.

Best of luck making your decision!
    Hey!

Yes I am def reverse to you with the Aqua - which I find a fraction more comfy!!!

You are certainly correct that once traded it would prob be it I guess so I certainly wont make a hasty decision. I did wear it last weekend for the first time in a while and will do again this weekend!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    Although the PP 5711 is quite obviously a grade A blue chip watch with huge cache - imho if you held a 5711 in one hand
    and a platinum Daytona in the other- the Daytona looks and feels about 5 times more special…….
    It’s a no brainer- the Platinum Daytona is a truly beautiful watch.
    One major issue though is clearly the price- I needed a single extra bracelet link for mine and the price for 1 platinum link is (gulp) £1500

Not sure what the supply is like these current post covid days but in more recent years my local Rolex AD contact told me they
    received only 2 platinum Daytona’s every 12 months and usually had about 5 customers on a waiting list for them.
    Despite the heavy platinum weight like all Daytona’s the watch is extremely comfortable - within minutes you don’t even
    notice it’s on the wrist.

I think the ice blue dial looks special and is actually more legible than some Daytona dials……

That is a very nice pic indeed! Out of interest did you previously own a 5711?

What size wrist do you have? I am 7ish - 7.2 inch wrist and so normally have one link spare with Rolex Sports.

I thought my 1.5 link for my PP was expensive :)

That is a very nice pic indeed! Out of interest did you previously own a 5711?

What size wrist do you have? I am 7ish - 7.2 inch wrist and so normally have one link spare with Rolex Sports.

I thought my 1.5 link for my PP was expensive :)

My wrist is circa 8.5 inch and I like the bracelet loose.

I’ve never owned a 5711- over the years on numerous occasions I’ve handled one and wound them up etc
    because a good mate has one and I’ve toyed with the idea of buying one- but I just didn’t pull the trigger ….. although
    the 5711 is a truly iconic design imho it always felt inferior quality to a Daytona- especially a platinum Daytona.
    That said I accept it could be argued that nothing has the prestige of a Nautilus.

I sold my first Platinum Daytona and missed it so much I bought another one-for considerably more money,
    this one is definitely a keeper.

You won’t regret buying one !

Last edited by farmkid; 11th June 2022 at 00:10.

The platinum Daytona is very accurate; every time you look at it, it tells you how rich you are.

A friend has a Platona and an AP Jumbo, so can’t compare to the Nautilus directly, but I’ve tried both on a few times. One feels like delicate high end jewellery and the other feels like a solid watch with added heft.

First world problems eh?

I have absolutely zero experience of this calibre of watch, but on the basis of internet viewing I'd cash in on the 5711 as the price is crazy and I personally would much prefer an Aquanaut anyway (which you're fortunate enough to have). I wouldn't buy the Platinum Daytona, certainly not at above RRP. There's something nice about having money in the bank and all the time in the world to dwell on options IMO. Of course this is all hugely subjective.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    First world problems eh?

I have absolutely zero experience of this calibre of watch, but on the basis of internet viewing I'd cash in on the 5711 as the price is crazy and I personally would much prefer an Aquanaut anyway (which you're fortunate enough to have). I wouldn't buy the Platinum Daytona, certainly not at above RRP. There's something nice about having money in the bank and all the time in the world to dwell on options IMO. Of course this is all hugely subjective.
    Ha - Yep for sure!!!

Nah I decided a few years ago that any future incomings would have to be via my existing collection!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    My wrist is circa 8.5 inch and I like the bracelet loose.

I’ve never owned a 5711- over the years on numerous occasions I’ve handled one and wound them up etc
    because a good mate has one and I’ve toyed with the idea of buying one- but I just didn’t pull the trigger ….. although
    the 5711 is a truly iconic design imho it always felt inferior quality to a Daytona- especially a platinum Daytona.
    That said I accept it could be argued that nothing has the prestige of a Nautilus.

I sold my first Platinum Daytona and missed it so much I bought another one-for considerably more money,
    this one is definitely a keeper.

You won’t regret buying one !

I think in honesty the 5711 is prob not as delicate as it looks. I mean sure its a scratch magnet and nowhere near as robust as a Rolex but ive seen some pretty battered ones. I guess at the end of the day though it doesn't wear its scars well so needs to have some kind of care. Surprisingly my 5167 only has a few bezel hairlines and ive not babied it at all.

Ah ok - 8.5 inch kind of explains it!! Another nice pic, looks stunning there.

I tried on the Platona a few years ago. I love blue on a watch, but with brown? The weight is lovely. Thing is, the Daytona has no date and I definitely use that function.

Master
    I’d have the less showy one. At that level, no need for a “look what I’ve got” model. Unless you’re that way inclined…

Always fancied a platinum watch. How do owners find scratches and bumps? Is it more hard wearing than the 18k gold watches which are soft and scratch very easily.

The 5711 is elegant and iconic, essentially unchanged (in terms of aesthetic) since it’s launch in 1976 and supremely comfortable to wear. The platinum Daytona is a gauche variation of what used to be an elegant and iconic design. I most certainly would not forgo the 5711 for a platinum Daytona.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Always fancied a platinum watch. How do owners find scratches and bumps? Is it more hard wearing than the 18k gold watches which are soft and scratch very easily.

It’s more hard wearing than gold - but not by much …..
    You can soon find the clasp and bracelet has plenty of micro swirling.

Blog Entries
    I was lucky to try on a platinum Daytona at a gtg. Wow what a watch and the weight was fine for me. Good luck in your final decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Going from a Patek to a Rolex is like downgrading from a Rolls Royce to a BMW, even if in this case its a tricked out BMW. Personally I wouldn't do it and that Platona is very heavy.

I disagree the platinum daytona is a much better watch jd finish than the 5711

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Going from a Patek to a Rolex is like downgrading from a Rolls Royce to a BMW, even if in this case its a tricked out BMW. Personally I wouldn't do it and that Platona is very heavy.
    I’m really surprised you have that opinion Ryan.. I’ve had both over the years and I can honestly say apart from aesthetics the Patek hasn’t got anything going for it quality wise over the Rolex. As I said above, your comparing an entry level (at retail) steel Patek which is featherlight and does not feel exceptionally well made to a platinum bracelet and case rock solid build quality Daytona.
    Yes I agree the Patek carries a more prestigious air about it but in no way is the platinum Daytona a downgrade especially not a rolls Royce down to a bmw.
    Would I have another 5711? Not at secondary values no. At £25k or whatever the last list price was, yes I suppose I would for the history of the watch and as a smarter weekend watch. I certainly wouldn’t recommend it as a daily as it just doesn’t feel like it would hold up like a Rolex does.
    Coincidentally I’m awaiting a platinum Daytona from the AD at hopefully list price of circa £60k. I also wouldn’t pay a premium for the Rolex. It’s a precious metal Rolex which is well made and at £60k ish I’d be happy to have it as a one watch be all and end all.
    Patek fro bragging rights, Rolex Daytona for the quality and wearability.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Though the flip side to this is some Patek Collectors see the 5711 as a simple entry level SS watch with no real complication

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s more hard wearing than gold - but not by much …..
    You can soon find the clasp and bracelet has plenty of micro swirling.
    Personally I have never sent a watch for a refinish / polish during service time but what's the score with refinishing Platinum watches?

Platona for me. If there are diamonds on board, even better

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Platona for me. If there are diamonds on board, even better
    I find the baguettes just use it ver the edge for myself, as for scratches, the one I turned down (for £38k for goodness sake!) a couple of years back was extremely scratched. Nothing that i was told wouldn't polish out but it did look extremely second hand-it was worn daily.

Bloke from Watch Trader in Newcastle handed me his Patek last summer when I traded my gold Sub for a Pepsi and Starbucks. Felt cheap. I'm just saying. Had a brown dial with some sort of sub dial. Totally underwhelming. He reckoned it was 80k. Nuts.

No. I wouldn’t even contemplate trading a 5711 for a Platinum Daytona.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by mjrennie View Post
    Bloke from Watch Trader in Newcastle handed me his Patek last summer when I traded my gold Sub for a Pepsi and Starbucks. Felt cheap. I'm just saying. Had a brown dial with some sort of sub dial. Totally underwhelming. He reckoned it was 80k. Nuts.
    Sounds like you got a good deal on the BLRO and LVc.

A good friend has a white gold nautilus as well as the steel version and white gold feels a lot more special . I think its all about the weight in the watch which adds to its presence. Both I might add have lots of swirls and micro scratches. What I think the OP is trying to decide is which watch will feel more special and to use the car analogy the 5711 is in the Porsche 911 line up a standard 911 no frills no extras just the pure Porsche design DNA . A great lineage going back to GG and his design language. The Platona is a Mercedes no less a company I might add and the model would be the AMG GT black series. A model that has evolved and in my opinion made better by technology and material use , ceramic , platinum and Rolex’s movement improvements.
    So for me value aside I would weigh in with the Platona.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sounds like you got a good deal on the BLRO and LVc.
    There was another watch from me and cash from them to balance it out. Slightly complex deal but it was very fair. I'd recommend them.

I’ve not owned a 5711 but I did have a 5980 and also a platinum Daytona. I’d buy the Daytona again but not the PP which was neither special enough nor rugged enough.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by taz11 View Post
    I disagree the platinum daytona is a much better watch jd finish than the 5711

Agreed.

I’ve had (and sold) a 5711 and didn’t not miss it at all. I’d love a Platinum Daytona as it’s the pinnacle Rolex Professional watch and is exquisitely finished. Had a couple of opportunities to buy one in the past for c.£40-£45k and regret not taking that chance.

Given it’s the 60th Anniversary for the Daytona next year I fully expect the Platinum model (well, pretty much all the precious metal variants) to be discontinued Spring next year ahead of their replacements being launched. And then to see the non precious metal Daytona versions come out in 2024.

So if you can get a new 116506 now at list I’d grab that opportunity with both hands. Let us know what you decide.