closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedbird III (PRS-22) Bracelet woes

Journeyman

Speedbird III (PRS-22) Bracelet woes

Hi Folks.
    The bracelet on my 2015 SB3 recently parted company with the clasp due to whatever reasons, and unfortunately for me it cannot be repaired. I'm looking for a replacement. So, if anyone has an original bracelet, or even part of one, which includes the clasp and a couple of links so I can join it up with the remaining part of my bracelet, I would be grateful.
    Failing that, if anyone has any idea where to get a good replacement bracelet for the SB3, please let me know. I've temporarily mated it with one of Eddie's 'rally' straps, which fits well and doesn't look out of place, but, 'to me' the SB3 was always meant to be worn on the bracelet.

Thanks in advance.

Photo borrowed from worn & Wound for reference.

Grand Master
    Curious to know why it can’t be repaired and who has said it can’t be repaired? Unless a metal part has broken a bracelet can usually be fixed. From memory these bracelets are quite substantial.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Curious to know why it can’t be repaired and who has said it can’t be repaired? Unless a metal part has broken a bracelet can usually be fixed. From memory these bracelets are quite substantial.
    It's the section of the clasp where the spring loaded release pushers are fitted. It's snapped directly in-line with where one of the pins goes through the clasp leaving nothing to work with. If I can't find a replacement or parts, I may try to fit a third party clasp as I really like the original bracelet. IMG_20220608_184926-2.jpg
    Last edited by Jack Jones; 10th June 2022 at 17:37.

Blog Entries
    For easy reference...

Grand Master
    That’s definitely broken, no question about it! Not an easy fix unfortunately.

Edit: Just had a look on Cousins website, they sell generic butterfly clasps so it may be possible to fix the bracelet, the dimensions would need to be checked carefully.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 10th June 2022 at 18:03.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    For easy reference...

Journeyman
    That’s definitely broken, no question about it! Not an easy fix unfortunately.

Edit: Just had a look on Cousins website, they sell generic butterfly clasps so it may be possible to fix the bracelet, the dimensions would need to be checked carefully.
    That sounds promising. Thanks for the info and for taking the time, I'll take a look after the weekend and report back if I find something.

A bit of MIG welding would sort that out.

How did you manage to snap it? Looks like it took some force.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post

I wondered too, but I’m too polite to ask.

Journeyman
    A bit of MIG welding would sort that out.

Ha-ha! That did actually cross my mind for about 2 seconds, before the negative view of the finished clasp immediately flashed into my head.

I think it was weakened a few years back when I slipped on black ice and used my left hand to break my fall, which ended up underneath me. Soon after I noticed the clasp was badly bent, which seemed to bend back quite easily with no obvious signs of damage, much more so than the two broken ribs I discovered the next day which were another result of landing on the watch. The Speedbird was totally unmarked, which goes to show just how tough these things are!

About a year after that, the watch was put to one side for around 18 months following a problem with the winding mechanism skipping and eventually giving up totally, 'something that existed long before its meeting with the ice'. Anyway I managed to find an Omega qualified repairer at local jewellers recently who managed to repair and service it. Turned out the crown wheel was pretty much stripped and the calendar wheel was also replaced, not bad with a full service for £140. So, back in business with the Speedbird. Managed to get it accurate to -1 second every 3 days and I was taking it off just a couple of days ago, when the clasp decided to part company, so here we are and now I'm thinking this things just cursed!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jones View Post
    I think it was weakened a few years back when I slipped on black ice and used my left hand to break my fall, which ended up underneath me. Soon after I noticed the clasp was badly bent, which seemed to bend back quite easily with no obvious signs of damage,
    It might not have been obvious - but it sounds like it was damaged with this fall.
    Metallurgy 101 :

Low Cycle Fatigue = plastic deformation in each cycle... & it sounds like these were significant (plastic) deformations.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 11th June 2022 at 19:49.

Grand Master
    Or to put it bluntly, he fucked it when he fell.......it happens.

Sounds like the movement suffered the classic 2824 reverser problem, reversers stick, hand winding becomes very stiff, determined owner continues to wind, ratchet wheel teeth strip.......something has to give! I’ve fixed several that have been similarly afflicted.

Journeyman
    Or to put it bluntly, he fucked it when he fell.......it happens.
    Well I definitely own up to the first accusation in regards to the clasp, but the watch was skipping when being wound long before that, and not by being misused or mishandled either. Every six turns of the crown would result in me having to spin the rotor to get it to wind via the crown again, yes it was a pain, but I could live with it until it gave up altogether and after seeing the crown wheel with 25% of the teeth missing I can understand why, although the calendar wheel looks okay to the naked eye.

Grand Master
    Unlike grazed knees they don’t heal up.

The puzzle for me when I repair watches like this is working out where the broken tooth fragments end up, they must be in there somewhere but they rarely turn up.

After damage like this the watch needs completely stripping down, cleaning and rebuilding with all damaged parts replaced, continuing to use it really isn’t wise..........they don’t fix themselves!

ETA movements are fine until something breaks, sticking reversers us mist frequent fault and that leads to further damage if the owner is determined enough.

Journeyman
    Unlike grazed knees they don’t heal up.

The puzzle for me when I repair watches like this is working out where the broken tooth fragments end up, they must be in there somewhere but they rarely turn up.

After damage like this the watch needs completely stripping down, cleaning and rebuilding with all damaged parts replaced, continuing to use it really isn’t wise..........they don’t fix themselves!

ETA movements are fine until something breaks, sticking reversers us mist frequent fault and that leads to further damage if the owner is determined enough.
    Haven't a clue what happened to the movement. As I've said the problems started after about a year of ownership from new, but it got progressively worse until it finally gave up. Never was stiff to wind, in fact quite the opposite!
    I always try to look after my watches and the Speedbird was only worn for special occasions and weekends, never dropped by me or mishandled (apart from the accident issue). Anyway, the movement issue is put to rest since I've found the Omega service guy through a local reputable jewellers. Good to know that there are people like yourself here who are capable of servicing and repairing (apparently the Omega guy is getting on in years) and thanks also for the heads-up about Cousins. Another butterfly clasp should be here tomorrow along with a few other bits and pieces.

Journeyman

All Sorted..... Finally!

Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but after just over a year of trying my Speedbird on various straps and Nato's, none of which lasted very long, I finally got out the toolbox and put a new clasp on it.

I picked up a new butterfly clasp from Cousins last year which turned out to be ever so slightly too big for the 'catch fitting' to slot into the bracelet. Along with that the original pins from the bracelet were slightly too big to fit through the holes in said 'catch fitting'. So today out came the files, and after 2 hours or so of careful filing all is well with the world and the Speedbird is back on the only bracelet/strap I've come across that that IMHO works.

on Flickr
    Last edited by Jack Jones; 27th September 2023 at 20:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jones View Post
    Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but after just over a year of trying my Speedbird on various straps and Nato's, none of which lasted very long, I finally got out the toolbox and put a new clasp on it.

I picked up a new butterfly clasp from Cousins last year which turned out to be ever so slightly too big for the 'catch fitting' to slot into the bracelet. Along with that the original pins from the bracelet were slightly too big to fit through the holes in said 'catch fitting'. So today out came the files, and after 2 hours or so of careful filing all is well with the world and the Speedbird is back on the only bracelet/strap I've come across that that IMHO works.

Neat job. Congratulations

Journeyman
    Neat job. Congratulations
    Thanks, I've been trying to figure out how to show images directly in a post. Still working on it!

Grand Master
    Glad it worked out OK, jobs like this that involve non-standard parts can sometimes be a real pain to sort out and the end results isn't always satisfactory. What I refer to as fannying about jobs, but it's worth it when the job goes well.

Journeyman
    Glad it worked out OK, jobs like this that involve non-standard parts can sometimes be a real pain to sort out and the end results isn't always satisfactory. What I refer to as fannying about jobs, but it's worth it when the job goes well.
    Thanks, I'm really happy with the outcome, finally! I just wish I would have persevered a year ago when I first picked up the clasp. As it happens I must have tried it on at least half a dozen different straps and not been happy with any of them. consequently it hasn't been getting the wrist time it deserves, which will change now.
    Last edited by Jack Jones; 28th September 2023 at 10:21. Reason: word change