closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Window replacement question

Master

Window replacement question

We're getting quotes for replacing most of our windows, we've had 4 different people so far and only one has mentioned safety regs concerning a couple of bedroom windows, basically they are not big enough as they are, so would have to be a different configuration, which we are not keen on.
    The window opening is 970mmx970mm, with one fixed section, and one opening section measuring 400mm wide x 830 high, they said that this wasn't within regs now and we would have to have both sides as openers, a bit like a mini French door.
    As far as I can find out the area of the opening window has to be at least 0.33sq mtrs, and at least 450mm in either height or width, have I got this right? if so, then by my basic maths we should be ok.

Cut and paste below from the Planning Portal site:

Means of escape
    When replacing any window, the opening should be sized to provide at least the same potential for escape as the window it replaces. If the original window that is being replaced was larger than necessary for the purpose of escape, then the new window opening could be reduced down to the minimum as specified in the criteria below.
    The means of escape should be considered for any new window installed to an extension or existing dwelling. If an escape window is required then criteria set out below should be followed. It is also generally good practice to replace any window on the first floor that is not used as an escape window with an escape window.
    See below for the general criteria for egress windows:

• Width and Height - Either of these are not to be any less than 450mm
    • Clear Openable Area - No less than 0.33m²
    • Cill height - The bottom of the openable area should be no more than 1100mm above the floor area.

Only one window per room is generally required.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Cut and paste below from the Planning Portal site:

Means of escape
    When replacing any window, the opening should be sized to provide at least the same potential for escape as the window it replaces. If the original window that is being replaced was larger than necessary for the purpose of escape, then the new window opening could be reduced down to the minimum as specified in the criteria below.
    The means of escape should be considered for any new window installed to an extension or existing dwelling. If an escape window is required then criteria set out below should be followed. It is also generally good practice to replace any window on the first floor that is not used as an escape window with an escape window.
    See below for the general criteria for egress windows:

• Width and Height - Either of these are not to be any less than 450mm
    • Clear Openable Area - No less than 0.33m²
    • Cill height - The bottom of the openable area should be no more than 1100mm above the floor area.

Only one window per room is generally required.
    I did look at that myself, but when it says, "Either of these are not to be less than 450mm" does that mean one or the other, or both have to be no less than 450mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    I did look at that myself, but when it says, "Either of these are not to be less than 450mm" does that mean one or the other, or both have to be no less than 450mm.
    If one of the dimensions is 450mm (min), the other must be 733mm to meet the min opening area size of 0.33m2, so has to be greater than 450mm by definition.

Does that now makes sense ?

Master
    The actual opener we have currently is 400x830 which gives the minimum 0.33sq mtrs or is it because the 400mm measurement doesn't meet current regs.

Master
    If you’re not looking on moving just get them replaced and don’t get a fends certificate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The actual opener we have currently is 400x830 which gives the minimum 0.33sq mtrs or is it because the 400mm measurement doesn't meet current regs.
    400mm is less than 450mm therefore does not comply.

Blog Entries
    Those regs are there for a reason…. Think it through and do them properly

400mm is deemed unsafe as a means of evacuation. It may be frustrating to you now but as wolfie said those regs are there for a reason.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

What's the worst that could happen?

Master
    For new build including extentions you must follow the building regs.

For replacements you must not make the means of escape any worst, of course it is good to make the means of escape better. If you are replacing a steel window with aluminum or PVC as long as the design is the same you are not making the window any worst, the material is thicker but the design is still the same.

Master
    Totally understand why the regs are there, and we will be complying with them, it's just a worry that 3 out of 4 window companies didn't mention the size.
    I suppose it might have been picked up on the final survey before they are made, but surely it should have been mentioned when we were being asked about style etc etc

Master
    Just to update this, we've now had another company out to measure up and nowt mentioned about size of windows in habitable rooms.

Totally understand why the regs are there, and we will be complying with them, it's just a worry that 3 out of 4 window companies didn't mention the size.
    I suppose it might have been picked up on the final survey before they are made, but surely it should have been mentioned when we were being asked about style etc etc
    There trying to sell you windows,not put you off,they don’t care .
    Plus how many salesman actually now anthing about the regs or products,we know they should,be it happens in all field’s.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    There trying to sell you windows,not put you off,they don’t care .
    Plus how many salesman actually now anthing about the regs or products,we know they should,be it happens in all field’s.

All but one company have been local small concerns and it's been the guy that fits the windows that has been out, the one that mentioned it was from a larger outfit and was more of a "salesman" type.

If the reason for these regs. is so important, do they still supply locks and keys to all the handles? How many people keep them locked with keys they might not find quickly in an emergency.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd confirm if this is necessary or advisory.

As mentioned above, most regulations where you're replacing windows in an older property simply require that the new ones are no worse than the existing windows, not that they meet current regulations for new builds.

Master
    Blog Entries
    From what I remember when I fitted mine I opted for the french door style' like you said. I also like the look better as the windows look symmetrical. Unlike a window with an opening and non opening option. The hindes also need to be fire ones.