closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Problem with Tudor BB36 back from service

Master

Problem with Tudor BB36 back from service

So I've never much worried about overpolishing, and my watches that have been serviced by RSC and Omega UK have always come back looking like new. But I've moved to Sweden and left my Tudor BB36 with an authorised workshop in Stockholm for its first service. And after picking it up I'm thinking it just doesn't look like it used to. The lugs just look rounded, like they've taken off too much and changed the shape. I'll be bringing it back to the AD to discuss this but would be grateful for others' sense of this. Am I right, or have I just gone over to the 'don't polish' dark side?

For reference:

I realise it's hard to see from the pics, but I'd be grateful for any advice.

Master
    Just to add that there were no serious marks on the watch when it went in.

its hard to tell from the pictures, but i get why you'd be bothered. for me part of the charm of this watch is that it has a bit more heft than most 36mm watches, like an explorer or vintage DJ, due to the thicker lugs.

perhaps you'd need a side by side comparison with an unpolished one to be certain?

Craftsman
    Looks ok to me. Personally I welcome a judicious polish as part of a service by the manufacturer. Have always come back looking better. I would never let anyone else near a watch or attempt myself though as can end up looking ridiculous.

Can't really see much of a difference myself.

I sent a 16610 submariner in for a service a few years ago - again with no serious scratches or dings - and it can back with much more pronounced chamfers on the case. After that I always requested no polishing as it seemed to me they take off a lot of metal if the watch is pretty much unmarked. I’d just make sure you ask them not to polish next time - it still looks fine to me but I wouldn’t want it done repeatedly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    It's the blend between the polished and brushed finish of the lugs. Very hard to see since the reference is not as close as the other photos.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks all. Yes, it's hard to see from the pictures.

The second pic probably shows the problem best--how the lug has been rounded down to the end link. Below you can see how the lug stands quite proud of the link, with the top quite straight, if you know what I mean. The third pic shows how the lug has been polished nearly down to the level of the side of the end link at one point.

I'll bring it back, but with no expectations. With luck they'll have a new example for me to compare. I suspect it'll end up just a lesson learnt.

Looks OK. If its a proper outfit they will now laser extra metal before taking it away so no loss of height

Lovely watch. looks great to me

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

Humm.. it would seem they iver did it in the beveled edge at the end of the lugs, which is a polished surface, making the chamfer wider and giving the lugs a sharper appearance.
    Could be worse, they could have polished the bracelet. Happened to my dad...

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk