closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone got a VW eGolf?

Anyone got a VW eGolf?

With fuel prices continuously going up I’m seriously thinking about getting my first EV. I can spend around £20k ish and had a look at what’s available.

The only one I like the look of at this price range is the eGolf. They seem pretty good from the little research I’ve done so far but I was wondering if anyone in here has one and can share their experience.

I have 4 young kids and we won’t all fit in this, so we’ll have to keep the 7 seater for going out as a family. But there are no 7 seater EV in our price range.

But we do lots of journeys not as a family and we’re hoping an EV will be great for this. But I’m still keen to get the biggest EV we can and the eGolf looks like one of the biggest (although still not very big).

Any advice welcome. Looking to get something asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Hi, I think the eGolf might be quite low on range? I looked a couple of years ago and didn't seem great all-round package, with the ID range being better options (although a lot more expensive).

For your budget I would look at a Leaf - they are pretty roomy and great cars. Decent range, good tech, long-lasting, and you can get the more modern shape within your budget. Other than that I have also driven the MG ZS EV original model and found that to be a good size with 2 x kids and seats and 2 x adults. There are a few examples around the 20k mark. The MG5 might be a shout too but I've not personally driven that.

Going electric is great, good luck with the hunt!

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    Hi, I think the eGolf might be quite low on range? I looked a couple of years ago and didn't seem great all-round package, with the ID range being better options (although a lot more expensive).

For your budget I would look at a Leaf - they are pretty roomy and great cars. Decent range, good tech, long-lasting, and you can get the more modern shape within your budget. Other than that I have also driven the MG ZS EV original model and found that to be a good size with 2 x kids and seats and 2 x adults. There are a few examples around the 20k mark. The MG5 might be a shout too but I've not personally driven that.

Going electric is great, good luck with the hunt!

Thanks for your advice. The spec and range looks pretty similar on the Leaf and to be honest I’m not keen on the way it looks. Although I think with both cars I need to see and drive one rather than just going off the autotrader pictures.

Is it worth getting a 7kw home charger installed? It seems to be around £900 and I wasn’t sure if it’s worth the investment.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dashfield View Post
    Thanks for your advice. The spec and range looks pretty similar on the Leaf and to be honest I’m not keen on the way it looks. Although I think with both cars I need to see and drive one rather than just going off the autotrader pictures.

Is it worth getting a 7kw home charger installed? It seems to be around £900 and I wasn’t sure if it’s worth the investment.

You're absolutely right about the looks - the Leaf is definitely not sexy haha. I'd be cautious on the real-world range figures of the eGolf however, unless the newer models are significantly improved in the first couple generations.

Regarding the home charge unit, absolutely worth getting one. There are some grants still available I believe so worth looking into that. I paid about £200 net around 6 months ago - although being from Scotland I do benefit from an extra grant. I've not had to use public charging yet, being fortunate enough to charge at home and having a car with large battery. I've travelled long journeys too! Saved me a fortune versus previous diesel A7. You can also then look into getting onto a cheaper overnight electric tariff to save further and set the car to only charge at lower tariff periods. And if you want to go a step beyond that, you could rig power two-way so the cheap energy going into your car battery overnight can be diverted back to your home if you're not needing to use the car on any given day - reducing your energy bill.

Quote Originally Posted by jon8oy View Post
    You're absolutely right about the looks - the Leaf is definitely not sexy haha. I'd be cautious on the real-world range figures of the eGolf however, unless the newer models are significantly improved in the first couple generations.

Regarding the home charge unit, absolutely worth getting one. There are some grants still available I believe so worth looking into that. I paid about £200 net around 6 months ago - although being from Scotland I do benefit from an extra grant. I've not had to use public charging yet, being fortunate enough to charge at home and having a car with large battery. I've travelled long journeys too! Saved me a fortune versus previous diesel A7. You can also then look into getting onto a cheaper overnight electric tariff to save further and set the car to only charge at lower tariff periods. And if you want to go a step beyond that, you could rig power two-way so the cheap energy going into your car battery overnight can be diverted back to your home if you're not needing to use the car on any given day - reducing your energy bill.

Thanks, that’s really helpful. I didn’t know about the grants so I’ll look into that.

Range on 2/3 year old eGolf seems to be around 120-140 miles. Not great but would cover most of our needs. On longer journeys we could take the 7 seater.

Obviously it would be nice to have more range but it seems I need to spend £30k plus to get a decent size car with much more range, which is too much for us at the moment.

Master
    I had a egolf on loan a couple of years ago and in the middle of winter the range went down to 75 miles

Master
    I did 40k miles or so in a Mk7.5 e-Golf with the 35.8kWh battery pack, 32kWh usable.

Summer consumption on mainly A road driving was 3.8 miles per kWh consumption, so approx 120 miles range.

Winter consumption on the same roads and journeys was around 3.4, so just over 100 miles.

With the increasing public charging network, it’s increasingly feasible to do longer journeys (e-Golf rapid chargers at 40kW, so approx 40 mins for a 10-80% charge), but as ever with an EV it depends what your own journey profile is.

Always worth getting a dedicated charger for the long term, even at £900 (and there are cheaper options) it will make keeping a smaller battery EV topped up and ready a happier prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I did 40k miles or so in a Mk7.5 e-Golf with the 35.8kWh battery pack, 32kWh usable.

Summer consumption on mainly A road driving was 3.8 miles per kWh consumption, so approx 120 miles range.

Winter consumption on the same roads and journeys was around 3.4, so just over 100 miles.

With the increasing public charging network, it’s increasingly feasible to do longer journeys (e-Golf rapid chargers at 40kW, so approx 40 mins for a 10-80% charge), but as ever with an EV it depends what your own journey profile is.

Always worth getting a dedicated charger for the long term, even at £900 (and there are cheaper options) it will make keeping a smaller battery EV topped up and ready a happier prospect.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. We’ll mainly use it for shorter journeys so I don’t think the range will be a problem.

I’m just looking into getting a 7kw home charger installed at the moment. Unfortunately missed the government grant that ended in March, so will need to find the money from somewhere. But as you say we see it as an investment for the future as we’ll probably have at least one electric car for many years to come.

What did you replace the eGolf with?

Master

What did you replace the eGolf with?
    I replaced it with an ID.3 which with the early software had a few frustrating issues, but with the later software updates has become pretty mature. Winter range on that was easily 180 miles, 210 summer.

That itself has been replaced with an ID.4 GTX, I like AWD and have a requirement for some frequent long journeys nowadays.

Sounds good and a good sign that you went for another VW EV. I’ve looked at the ID3 and 4 but both out of our price range at the moment. Hopefully in a few years though

Master
    Sounds good and a good sign that you went for another VW EV. I’ve looked at the ID3 and 4 but both out of our price range at the moment. Hopefully in a few years though

Don’t discount the Skoda Enyaq. Cheaper than the ID.4 with a bigger battery (52Kw v 58kw)
    I run one as a taxi and it’s a fantastic car.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Don’t discount the Skoda Enyaq. Cheaper than the ID.4 with a bigger battery (52Kw v 58kw)
    I run one as a taxi and it’s a fantastic car.
    Thanks. I really like the Enyaq but it’s way out of my price range at the moment. Maybe in a few years.