closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Seiko 5 GMT

Craftsman

New Seiko 5 GMT

Speculation is that it’s an office/caller GMT. New 4R34 calibre, and on a jubilee. Rumoured to be c. €470 and available soonish…

Great effort that 👍🏻

The black and the blue will be released in Japan on July 8, list price is ¥52,800 (£320~ at today's rate)

Hardlex
    100m WR
    4R34 (Auto, 24 jewels, hacking & hand winding)
    See-through back

Can't find any info on whether the GMT or hour hand is independent. My guess would be the GMT hand, likely accounting for the absence of the day indicator.

Master
    Maybe neither?

I especially like the blue one. The GMT hand really pops on that one.

"Seiko 5 Sports GMT Automatic Blue Dial Stainless Steel Bracelet Mens Watch SSK003K1
    The Case:

The Seiko 5 Sports GMT SSK003K1 is presented in a 42.5mm brushed stainless steel case. It features a two-tone ‘Batman’ style unidirectional rotating bezel that exhibits a 24-hour display that can be used to set the time for another time zone. The bezel is made out of aluminium. The coined walls of the bezel ensure that it is easily operable. A pushdown crown is located at 4 o’clock, it is flanked by a crown guard which ensures that it is not knocked out of place. Hardlex crystal also provides the front and the back of the case with protection against scratches and shattering. The exhibition caseback provides the wearer with an insight into the inner mechanisms of the watch.

The Dial:

The dial is presented in blue with a sunburst effect, it features a silver framed handset and hour markers that are filled with Lumibrite material, ensuring that the dial can be read in the dark. A date display window replaces the 3 o’clock marker, it is magnified by a cyclops lens. A 24-hour track is printed on the rehaut. The GMT hand is presented in a striking red tone, which ensures that the time in two time zones can be easily distinguished from one another. The Seiko 5 Sports logo is presented in silver beneath the 12 o’clock logo.

The Bracelet:

This timepiece is presented on a solid stainless steel jubilee bracelet that showcases both brushed and polished finishes. It fastens through the use of a fold over push deployment clasp. It also features a diver’s extension.

The Functions:

The SSK003K1 is powered by Seiko’s recently updated manual wind automatic movement, the calibre 4R34 movement. It has a power reserve of 41 hours and is water resistant to 100 metres, meaning that it can be worn when snorkelling. "

Preorder price of £400

Master
    Like the look of that, just wondering what alignment and time keeping will be like🤔

Always liked that style ever since the 100m model. Better for having GMT function.

Very nice!

I like that blue one. Funny that it’s £320 in Japan and £400 in the UK. Cheaper to import, even with added VAT!

Master
    Very nice, i'll be having a black dial one please!

My only gripe is the script for 'Automatic' but I am willing to let it slide

The Blue one is very nice, I'm not a Seiko fan but I'd like to try one of these.

Sent from a technical device.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I like that blue one. Funny that it’s £320 in Japan and £400 in the UK. Cheaper to import, even with added VAT!
    10% off with voucher brings it down to £360.

https://www.watcho.co.uk/watches/sei...atch-ssk003j1/

Craftsman
    Makes me wonder why Seiko didn’t make these sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Like the look of that, just wondering what alignment and time keeping will be like🤔
    I also like the look of it - but sadly you can almost guarantee the answer to both your queries will fall somewhere between poor and abysmal. All hail the return of the rattly but incredibly comfy jubilee though!!

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    10% off with voucher brings it down to £360.
    I've always wanted a cheap mechanical GMT for holidays, so I have just pre-ordered one with that voucher. Be here in July they say (cue much laughter). To be fair, they don't say which July.

Master
    Blue version probably my favourite out of those, a little bit smaller and I might have given it a try

Quote Originally Posted by chris_calcite View Post
    I've always wanted a cheap mechanical GMT for holidays, so I have just pre-ordered one with that voucher. Be here in July they say (cue much laughter). To be fair, they don't say which July.
    3 year warranty included. 2 year's plus year additional for free. Not bad at all.

Sent from a technical device.

Like others, the blue is the standout one for me, and I'm quite partial to GMTs (anybody know for certain whether it's a traveller's GMT or a desk GMT?)

Unfortunately I still think of a Seiko 5 as a £50 watch :-(

UPDATE: According to the review here > https://monochrome-watches.com/seiko...ve-pics-price/ < it's a desk GMT (i.e. the second crown position moves the GMT hand, not the hour hand).

Last edited by PhilipK; 8th June 2022 at 22:45. Reason: Added link re GMT hand

Master
    I certainly wouldn't think of one of those as a £50 watch, but £300+ seems a lot for a "diver-style" Seiko 5, to me anyway.

I think at £360 it’s very good value. I can’t think of another watch which offers this functionality at the price. Sure, QC will be dodgy, but that’s just Seiko. Might even drive me to try a GMT!

Master
    I wonder how easy it would be to remove that date bubble? Anyone ever tried it on hardlex whilst managing not to add any scratches?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I can't look past that logo!

What were they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    "Seiko 5 Sports GMT Automatic Blue Dial Stainless Steel Bracelet Mens Watch SSK003K1
    The Case:

The Seiko 5 Sports GMT SSK003K1 is presented in a 42.5mm brushed stainless steel case. It features a two-tone ‘Batman’ style unidirectional rotating bezel that exhibits a 24-hour display that can be used to set the time for another time zone. The bezel is made out of aluminium. The coined walls of the bezel ensure that it is easily operable. A pushdown crown is located at 4 o’clock, it is flanked by a crown guard which ensures that it is not knocked out of place. Hardlex crystal also provides the front and the back of the case with protection against scratches and shattering. The exhibition caseback provides the wearer with an insight into the inner mechanisms of the watch.

The Dial:

The dial is presented in blue with a sunburst effect, it features a silver framed handset and hour markers that are filled with Lumibrite material, ensuring that the dial can be read in the dark. A date display window replaces the 3 o’clock marker, it is magnified by a cyclops lens. A 24-hour track is printed on the rehaut. The GMT hand is presented in a striking red tone, which ensures that the time in two time zones can be easily distinguished from one another. The Seiko 5 Sports logo is presented in silver beneath the 12 o’clock logo.

The Bracelet:

This timepiece is presented on a solid stainless steel jubilee bracelet that showcases both brushed and polished finishes. It fastens through the use of a fold over push deployment clasp. It also features a diver’s extension.

The Functions:

The SSK003K1 is powered by Seiko’s recently updated manual wind automatic movement, the calibre 4R34 movement. It has a power reserve of 41 hours and is water resistant to 100 metres, meaning that it can be worn when snorkelling. "

Preorder price of £400
    the solid jubilee looks cheap to me and I'll go for oyster

Blog Entries
    Oh, these are going to sell well.

There are inevitably going to be many variations to follow, I suspect.

Good for harvesting parts for modding. Oh yes.

I suspect this will be the first Seiko I have bought in a while. With a few mods this will look stunning.

Confirmation it is an “office gmt”

Craftsman
    I have no need for a GMT....but always wanted to batman my SKX007 so I love the blue.

R

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I like the look of the orange one - pops out at me quite nicely. I’ve got a blue, black and a green Seiko so a wee gap in the collection waiting to be filled.

Apprentice
    Not sure what makes this ‘exclusive’, but the orange dial is available at 20% off using a code at Watchnation….

https://www.watchnation.com/product/...atch-ssk005k1/

New Seiko 5 GMT

Am I the only person who finds a gmt hand visually confusing? I had a couple of GMT masters and Explorer IIs a fair few years ago and found the extra hand distracting at a glance. I know how they work but my brain had to learn to ignore the extra hand and I found it annoying. The blue and black versions of this new Seiko 5 have a gmt hand which is coloured to make it easier to discern -however on the orange version the black gmt hand is a lot more striking/obvious than the pale main handset. I reckon it would do my head in!!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    [COLOR=#000080].....

Unfortunately I still think of a Seiko 5 as a £50 watch :-(
    With considering the inflation, it is about right.
    THIN is the new BLACK

As with other comments, really like the blue dial version although at 42.5 mm is at the absolute max for me. Would much prefer without cyclops, similar process for removal as sapphire or different process on Hardlex?

Friend of mine has ordered the blue one. Looking forward to seeing it once it’s arrived

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app