Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Watch Alert: Grand Seiko SBGP017G – “Sea of clouds”

Any adjustment on the bracelet?

No none at all

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Next to its mate

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Hmmmm, I happen to be in Tokyo later this month...
    OT but…

Worth a gander at the Covid testing requirements. They change frequently, but are precise about what is an acceptable test including the information and desired format: https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page25e_000334.html

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Next to its mate
    Prefer the rehaut and batons of the spring drive, but the lack of power reserve gauge on the quartz dial wins it for me.

Noted on the testing requirements, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Prefer the rehaut and batons of the spring drive, but the lack of power reserve gauge on the quartz dial wins it for me.

Noted on the testing requirements, thanks.
    Exactly the reason I went for it. I couldn't have a PR indicator on a dial personally-not the way GS do it anyway.

I have an MM600 spring drive and like the PR, but prefer to just enjoy the textured dial on this.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    It is strangely therapeutic as whilst it is of course a static viewpoint with no moving parts- the parts themselves are so well finished and I'd rather gaze at this and uncover small details than yet another 7750 caseback. The silver battery is somewhat out of keeping with the rest of the vista however.
    I keep coming back to this image. I’m not normally too fussy over such things but, for a brand known for its attention to the smallest details, the case back text not aligning with case and bracelet, with “Limited Edition” centred at the top and the number centred at the bottom, is annoying the hell out of me. Please get it sorted before listing it on SC later in the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I keep coming back to this image. I’m not normally too fussy over such things but, for a brand known for its attention to the smallest details, the case back text not aligning with case and bracelet, with “Limited Edition” centred at the top and the number centred at the bottom, is annoying the hell out of me. Please get it sorted before listing it on SC later in the week.
    Was listed this am and sold already :)

These are changing hands faster than the BB Pro's!!

One on eBay now as well...

Haven't even had mine delivered yet as been away.

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    These are changing hands faster than the BB Pro's!!

One on eBay now as well...

Haven't even had mine delivered yet as been away.
    I think the one on eBay might be a member here.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Next to its mate

Wow the crown looks huge now on the spring drive in comparison.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I think the one on eBay might be a member here.
    No it’s not my one

Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    No it’s not my one
    Ah, my mistake, apologies

Glad I didn’t pull the trigger, too girly light blue for my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I think it's a really attractive, fairly simple looking watch, but whoever decided to add a display caseback should be banned from the design team.

Has the love gone already?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Has the love gone already?
    Not for me, I am extremely happy with this watch.

What a disappointing watch. Not surprising they are getting moved on so fast. The display back is a horror show with what looks like a pound shop movement.

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    What a disappointing watch. Not surprising they are getting moved on so fast. The display back is a horror show with what looks like a pound shop movement.
    Nonsense.

For me, GS messed it up with the “new”logo. Very few dial designs work for me since the change.

They should have just put Grand Seiko in gothic font on the top. Maybe GS down at 6 where it was before. But best removed altogether.

The old Seiko on top GS at six worked much better.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Nonsense.
    So is a quartz 3-hander for over £3k.

How much of the price of a mechanical movement do you think is directly related to the movement then?

Master
    F.P. Journe will provide a quartz 3-hander for £11k. Indeed AP will take one of those hands away and charge us even more!

One person's ridiculous is another's list watch. This hobby....

Watch Alert: Grand Seiko SBGP017G – “Sea of clouds”

How much of the price of a mechanical movement do you think is directly related to the movement then?
    For a ETA 2824, Sellita SW200, Rolex 3135 or other mass produced and machine made movements, very little.

But, for over £3k you are on the cusp of in-house movements, hand finished.

I’d rather stare at a case back of a cheap watch with a Sellita like I do have, than a block of static copper with a silver battery.

I’m just not a big fan of expensive quartz watches, but hey, everyone is different.

Unless you're getting something like a Lange or 321 Speedmaster I don't see the value in an exhibition caseback personally.

Aside from this I think the only watch I've had with one was a Seiko 5.

That's an opinion and you're entitled to it, whereas saying this movement looks like it's from a pound shop is simply nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    I think it's a really attractive, fairly simple looking watch, but whoever decided to add a display caseback should be banned from the design team.
    I very much like the display caseback. I find it an interesting contradiction to the dial. As you say, the dial is a very simple, natural looking design as it sets out to be. The movement on the other hand is entirely technical, not natural in any way but never the less, very well designed. The two balance each other out.

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    Disappointing in what way? As far as I can tell the few that are being moved on are being snapped up just as quickly. Still, there's always an occasional naysayer amongst the masses.

Watch Alert: Grand Seiko SBGP017G – “Sea of clouds”

The clue is in the word MOVEment. The joy of a case back is watching the balance wheel and gears move, and viewing the intricacies of the movement, even for a humble Sellita SW200.

A display back on a static lump of metal displays a static lump of metal; with a silver battery for added viewing pleasure.

It just doesn’t work IMO. But, that is just my opinion and I am entitled to it.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I very much like the display caseback. I find it an interesting contradiction to the dial. As you say, the dial is a very simple, natural looking design as it sets out to be. The movement on the other hand is entirely technical, not natural in any way but never the less, very well designed. The two balance each other out.
    Absolute twaddle.

Looks awful and contradicts why watchmakers logical reasoning to install a display caseback. Any decent watch fan in support of Seiko doing that needs to give their head a wobble.

Yes, an opinion, not a fact. Now you're getting it

Absolute twaddle.

Looks awful and contradicts why watchmakers logical reasoning to install a display caseback. Any decent watch fan in support of Seiko doing that needs to give their head a wobble.
    I'm in support of Seiko doing this. Why not? It's a well finished, hand made and innovative movement, not some cheap quartz junk.
    You don't have to like it, there's many options out there without a display back for those that prefer not to see it (in fact every single on of their quartz models other than this one...).
    Not sure about you telling others what they need to like in order to be a 'decent watch fan'..
    Last edited by M1011; 6th July 2022 at 21:02.

I'm in support of Seiko doing this. Why not? It's a well finished, hand made and innovative movement, not some cheap quartz junk.
    You don't have to like it, there's many options out there without a display back for those that prefer not to see it (in fact every single on of their quartz models other than this one...).
    Not sure about you telling others what they need to like in order to be a 'decent watch fan'..
    You can debate that all you want, but no different than a bricked up window retaining the glass - pointless - but some will get all excited about it. Those people would be wrong 😂

You can debate that all you want, but no different than a bricked up window retaining the glass - pointless - but some will get all excited about it. Those people would be wrong 
    Snore.

Snore.
    The problem with GS is the followers are generally one dimensional and extremely boring, as proven here. Ask your mates for a six pack of Duracell for Christmas. That'll keep you entertained for months.

You can debate that all you want, but no different than a bricked up window retaining the glass - pointless - but some will get all excited about it. Those people would be wrong 😂
    Arguably it's pointless using old school mechanical movement technology that is accurate only to 4 seconds a day when you can use the latest tech to achieve far greater accuracy. Like nobody in their right mind thinks an E Type Jag is a better car than a Tesla. But there is room in the market for both.

This watch is the 'Tesla'. Modern tech aligned with incredible finishing and why shouldn't GS show it off? The skill needed to develop and make the 9F movement is every bit as elevated as what is needed to make a mechanical. But some people really like the concept of a mechanical heart. I do to be fair. Luckily as I said there's room in the market for both.

Arguably it's pointless using old school mechanical movement technology that is accurate only to 4 seconds a day when you can use the latest tech to achieve far greater accuracy. Like nobody in their right mind thinks an E Type Jag is a better car than a Tesla. But there is room in the market for both.

This watch is the 'Tesla'. Modern tech aligned with incredible finishing and why shouldn't GS show it off? The skill needed to develop and make the 9F movement is every bit as elevated as what is needed to make a mechanical. But some people really like the concept of a mechanical heart. I do to be fair. Luckily as I said there's room in the market for both.
    I have huge respect for the manufacturer and am a bit of a fan, but certainly not obsessive like many. That said, a display caseback is to display something worthy of display and as much as their advancements should be commended, that movement is not worth looking at. That is my simple point. I'm not berating the brand, the movement, simply the decision to add a display back.

But as many of these debates, there is right and wrong and no reasonable inbetween unfortunately, so I'll take my opinion and leave my views there.

I have huge respect for the manufacturer and am a bit of a fan, but certainly not obsessive like many. That said, a display caseback is to display something worthy of display and as much as their advancements should be commended, that movement is not worth looking at. That is my simple point. I'm not berating the brand, the movement, simply the decision to add a display back.

But as many of these debates, there is right and wrong and no reasonable inbetween unfortunately, so I'll take my opinion and leave my views there.
    Strong irony in that statement..

Nobody here is saying everyone has to like the display back, that's subjective. But perhaps a reasonable inbetween would not be saying anyone who did like the display back isn't a true watch fan and needs a head-wobble. Just a thought.
    Last edited by M1011; 6th July 2022 at 23:37. Reason: Life's too short to be overly confrontational on a watch forum...

Absolute twaddle.

You should have underlined your absolute twaddle comment and made it a heading. Your following comment is just that. Please explain as to why a decent watch maker installs a display caseback given that there are so many watches out there with varying internals on display. Some show the movement itself, some show none of the movement and almost all are well thought of by watch fans.

it strikes me that you're one of these people that believes that only their opinion matters and no one elses. Otherwise you wouldn't use phrases like absolute twaddle.

The clue is in the word MOVEment. The joy of a case back is watching the balance wheel and gears move, and viewing the intricacies of the movement, even for a humble Sellita SW200.

A display back on a static lump of metal displays a static lump of metal; with a silver battery for added viewing pleasure.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion like everyone else. Can I presume from this comment that you don't like the latest Omega Speedmaster (Silver Snoopy) or possibly even the GS SBGZ003 which has a display back but most of the moving parts hidden. The joy of a display caseback, in my opinion, is for the owner/wearer to decide and no one else.

Sorry everyone, I seem to have been a little unfair in my explanation of my opinion of the watch, so would like to apologise and state - In my opinion the display case back is a complete unexcusable design abomination.

I would edit my previous posts, however, they've been quoted, so apologies for that too.

I dont give 2 fcuks about the caseback. I've not even taken the sticker off it

Blog Entries
    The caseback is quartz-made-into-art. I'd love to see a no-date version of a GS quartz, but I doubt it'll be on the cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Personally I think the contrast of the silver battery is fine. Seiko are (rightly, in my view) unapologetic about their superb watches that just happen to be powered by a battery. Show the cell proudly
    I agree. As I said, Seiko are not ashamed of quartz (or batteries).

Absolute twaddle.

Hehe

Has anyone heard anything about a second batch being delivered to several ADs by the end of July but notably not the GS Boutique in London?

Not my AD, they have had their 4 in but all spoken for I believe.

I cancelled my order with GS London, too similar to my Shunbun.

Does anyone know the size of the bracelet screws for this watch, please? Is it 1.2mm? Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    Does anyone know the size of the bracelet screws for this watch, please? Is it 1.2mm? Thanks for your help.
    Pretty sure I used the 1.4 from this set.

Minuscule screws, quite fiddly. Definitely do it inside an iPad or MacBook box if you have one.

Thanks wileeeeeey. Were the screws tight when you unscrewed them? I'm always a bit nervous about adjusting bracelets myself but I'm not sure where to take it to get it sized locally.

Half were eerily lose and half were quite tight.

If you’re concerned re stiff screws put warm/hot water in a mug and dunk the bracelet for a bit

I have meat mittens for hands and should be digging potatoes out of the ground with my bare hands for a living and I imagined it. I even had to do it three times to get the sizing and clasp position right.

A tip I got from Kash was the half links aren’t half links, they’re 60% links (or thereabouts) so 2x half links is bigger than 1x full link.

This method works well for the screws