closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch Alert: Grand Seiko SBGP017G – “Sea of clouds”

Watch Alert: Grand Seiko SBGP017G – “Sea of clouds”

All the ones I’ve had have been 110% spot on!

Mind you the above photos are a non working watch. All Seiko and Grand Seiko exhibition models show 8 past 10 and 43 seconds. Date is always the 6th.

Same goes for renders on their web site.

My GS quartz doesn’t hit the markers. Doesn’t bother me but it is a myth they always hit the markers.
    BTW, paler blue is much less appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    My GS quartz doesn’t hit the markers. Doesn’t bother me but it is a myth they always hit the markers.
    Do you move minutes hand few minutes forward then anticlockwise back to correct marker when setting the time?

Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Got a couple of photos of the actual watch to share.

These were taken at the boutique under harsh lights but appear to show the dial as paler than the renders which I am ok with.

The second hand will need to be hitting the markers though!!
    Perhaps it's the lighting, but it appears there's no logo on the back glass in these photos. I'm very OK with that change if it is the case!

I find it puzzling Raj. GS exhibit immaculate attention to detail in most areas and offer a premium quartz movement but then, don't consider it important that the second hand hits the markers. Seems inexplicable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Do you move minutes hand few minutes forward then anticlockwise back to correct marker when setting the time?
    Here is the official instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    Thanks Ryan, I checked with F&G online, and they are displaying as sold out online but I'll phone them. I'll also try WoS stores.
    I was told yeseday

Chisholm Hunter
    Deacons
    WOS
    Porters
    Berry's
    Beaverbrooks

Don't bother with Deacons that's reserved:-)

The guy I spoke with, Jamie, said they had 12 allocated and now gone. If you are local I would be calling in as they could get a further allocation if it doesn't sell out in other markets.
    Popped in today. No sign of any more.

Looking forward to seeing the new GS diver in the flesh though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I find it puzzling Raj. GS exhibit immaculate attention to detail in most areas and offer a premium quartz movement but then, don't consider it important that the second hand hits the markers. Seems inexplicable to me.
    If you've ever seen one of the early model (pre-'decking dial') quartz Omega Aqua Terras then you'll know what a quartz that doesn't hit the markers really looks like - the long, heavy second hand had a lot of momentum and was more or less random in where it landed. What GS did is added something to the movement to damp this kind behaviour down, even when there's a nice long second hand, and mentioned it as a selling point. Consequently everyone is obsessed with the idea that they hit the markers perfectly. In my experience they don't always, it's just a lot better than a movement without this feature, so it's not an issue you notice in the way you did with old Aqua Terras. The later AT movements actually added magnets to sort out this damping problem, but they didn't shout about it so no one talks about this. Perhaps because they're not perfect either, but as with GS they are good enough that it's not really an issue in practice. Sometimes a knock throws it out, but it tends to drift back to the markers.

If you really want a watch that hits the markers perfectly, buy a Rolex Oysterquartz. But you'll be paying for the very mechanical system that makes that happen when it's time to service it. It's also not a problem on smaller quartz watches with lighter plastic second hands, the problem arises when you create 'luxury' watches with large dials and long metal hands, quartz wasn't really designed for that job. GS solves it with a twin pulse and backlash adjustment. There's some info on this here.

I like this new GS but know from experience it would be too large for me, the 44GS case is lovely but you need the wrists for it. Good to see a gold star 9F with an interesting dial though, they don't come around too often.

I like the idea of a GS quartz more and more.

The one I hesitated on, SBGV245, is now known as the Grey Beast (jaysus...), and sells for over rrp.
    The sister version has a black dial, North Face- esque, and cheaper on the used market.

I also like the sporty white dial one currently available. Doesn't seem as popular:

Nope. Have set time only once and didn’t really pay any special attention.

Nope. Have set time only once and didn’t really pay any special attention.

4 new models launched today - very limited (250 - 500 pieces each.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    4 new models launched today - very limited (250 - 500 pieces each).

All US exclusives, so not for us. The light blue is my favourite. They need to get us some UK exclusives

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    I was told yeseday

Chisholm Hunter
    Deacons
    WOS
    Porters
    Berry's
    Beaverbrooks

Don't bother with Deacons that's reserved:-)
    Many thanks Blackie, appreciated.

That blue GMT looks very tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    All US exclusives, so not for us. The light blue is my favourite. They need to get us some UK exclusives
    Ah darn it I just saw that. Agree the light blue is the standout - wonderful dial texture.

I saw that but do you think it would affect the second hand movement?

Taken from Seiko on FB which put the launch on yesterday when there are no watches left

Says about the second hand hitting the spots.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the new GS diver in the flesh though.
    Now with pic

Last edited by gunner; 13th June 2022 at 16:00.

Master
    I managed to get one, just paid for it now.

Bit of a gamble for me not seeing one in the flesh, but I'm 99% sure I'll love it when it arrives.

EDIT: There were none left at the Boutique.
    Last edited by al1991; 10th June 2022 at 11:32.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    I like the idea of a GS quartz more and more.

The one I hesitated on, SBGV245, is now known as the Grey Beast (jaysus...), and sells for over rrp.
    The sister version has a black dial, North Face- esque, and cheaper on the used market.

I also like the sporty white dial one currently available. Doesn't seem as popular:

I'd snap that up. I love the GS Quartz and must have been lucky as the second hand hit the markers and there is no bounce or judder at all

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

These were taken at the boutique under harsh lights but appear to show the dial as paler than the renders which I am ok with.

The movement runs at 2 beats a second. I wonder if your photo has captured the hand at an intermediate stage?

From their website:

Moving broad Grand Seiko hands with the Twin Pulse Control Motor
    Unable to match the high torque of mechanical watches, quartz watches generally make use of lighter and thinner watch hands. Grand Seiko quartz models defy this limitation, bearing the same broad hand design as on every Grand Seiko watch. The 9F quartz caliber makes this possible through its Twin Pulse Control Motor, a system capable of turning longer and heavier hands while preserving battery power.

In a normal quartz movement, the second hand moves in a single step from one second to the next. In the 9F quartz movement, the second hand instead makes two consecutive steps per second, triggered by two successive pulse signals. Increasing the number of pulse signals augments the output torque from the rotor, enabling the use of heavier hour, minute, and second hands. This two-step process is undetectable by the naked eye and appears as a single step no different from standard quartz timepieces.

If not - I wouldn’t accept that. I’ve had many quartz watches where the second hand hits all markers - like Omega X-33, Breitling B-1 etc
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 11th June 2022 at 08:43.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The movement runs at 2 beats a second. I wonder if your photo has captured the hand at an intermediate stage?

From their website:

Moving broad Grand Seiko hands with the Twin Pulse Control Motor
    Unable to match the high torque of mechanical watches, quartz watches generally make use of lighter and thinner watch hands. Grand Seiko quartz models defy this limitation, bearing the same broad hand design as on every Grand Seiko watch. The 9F quartz caliber makes this possible through its Twin Pulse Control Motor, a system capable of turning longer and heavier hands while preserving battery power.

In a normal quartz movement, the second hand moves in a single step from one second to the next. In the 9F quartz movement, the second hand instead makes two consecutive steps per second, triggered by two successive pulse signals. Increasing the number of pulse signals augments the output torque from the rotor, enabling the use of heavier hour, minute, and second hands. This two-step process is undetectable by the naked eye and appears as a single step no different from standard quartz timepieces.

If not - I wouldn’t accept that. I’ve had many quartz watches where the second hand hits all markers - like Omega X-33, Breitling B-1 etc
    This is a dummy watch. The hands are set in classic promotional setting - ten past ten with the seconds hand opposite. Suspect it is just the angle as this watch in the pic doesn't have a working movement yet.

This is a dummy watch. The hands are set in classic promotional setting - ten past ten with the seconds hand opposite. Suspect it is just the angle as this watch in the pic doesn't have a working movement yet.
    Yes these were pics sent by GS London Boutique and once I saw the promotional images from other sources I realised it was a non working model. I am looking forward to seeing the dial shade in person and hoping for something a little bolder than pale sky blue.

Quite a few of the 9F models at my local GS AD don't hit the markers accurately, it would be a problem for me at this price point.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    AMJ have got it on their website to pre order, if you want one get it ordered as they only got 3 (well shall we say 2 left)

Watch Alert: Grand Seiko SBGP017G – “Sea of clouds”

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    No discounts on this new. Also I have a feeling this will be a above rrp watch for a long time, it has so much going for it and tbh the price is cheap for what it is.

If you like it I’d go buy before they sell out
    Hmmm.

GS, whereas a finer manufactured watch (usually with a terrible bracelet) than Rolex, it is metaphorically the ugly sister.

With prices on the latter under pressure, expect residuals on the GS to head south.

Master
    It’s all speculation on the exact finish. We have ordered and paid for them regardless, either we are happy or not. I am betting happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    AMJ have got it on their website to pre order, if you want one get it ordered as they only got 3 (well shall we say 2 left)
    Many thanks for the heads up Strell, I have managed to bag one also. Cheers!

Likewise! Thanks strell! Love the dial of this one and the dimensions look to be spot on.

Strange that AMJ charge Ł60 more than Seiko.

And re residuals this has generated so much demand and completely sold out in the US, plus is inexpensive by GS standards with an incredible dial that I'm pretty sure these won't trade below RRP on the secondary market any time soon

As an aside does anyone else feel that GS has a 'problem' in so far as their Ltd editions are frequently so incredible that it makes their standard range look a bit dull? Like why would you buy a standard black dial spring drive when for Ł200 more you can get a limited edition with an incredible dial as part of one of their limited editions?

Particularly as a huge selling point for GS is their dials.

As an aside does anyone else feel that GS has a 'problem' in so far as their Ltd editions are frequently so incredible that it makes their standard range look a bit dull? Like why would you buy a standard black dial spring drive when for Ł200 more you can get a limited edition with an incredible dial as part of one of their limited editions?

Particularly as a huge selling point for GS is their dials.
    In response to your post before this one Ryan, it seems that a lot of AD's selling this watch are quoting the extra Ł60 compared to the boutique, no idea why that is.

In response to your post I have quoted, I don't know if I would go as far to say that GS has a problem as I think there is something for everyone, but I do share the thinking that I personally would rather have one of the ltd edition dials over the standard range, especially when the margin can be as small as a Ł200 or so as you said.

It's almost like the standard range is there to highlight the LEs and provide a counterpoint to the highly textured dials. Perhaps one of the intentions is to make the pricing of the LEs seem decent value.

It's been said before but I think it would be good if they would slow the pace of LE releases a bit. One of the reasons I haven't bought a GS for a while is because if I've been slightly unsure about a model, it's likely another will be released a week later. And whilst I appreciate they need a marketing story, I sometimes think they could make a bit less of the inspirations for certain dials, especially when it's just a new colourway for an existing dial texture. The most noticeable was when the tree ring pattern was placed at an angle and became an "orbit".

Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    And whilst I appreciate they need a marketing story, I sometimes think they could make a bit less of the inspirations for certain dials, especially when it's just a new colourway for an existing dial texture. The most noticeable was when the tree ring pattern was placed at an angle and became an "orbit".
    I tend to agree with this. Some of the stories/connections to the 'nature of time' marketing seem like a bit of a stretch.

I can see the 'cherry blossom' imagery of the Shunbun, I find it very poetic. The 'Lake Suwa' works for me too, the dial tells a story linked to the history of Seiko. This edition seems like just a nice blue dial (although it might be too light a blue for me). I guess it all depends on whether the story associated with a watch resonates and has meaning for you.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 12th June 2022 at 12:45.

They should have called for it really is - Lion Mane Tiffany dial

Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    In response to your post before this one Ryan, it seems that a lot of AD's selling this watch are quoting the extra Ł60 compared to the boutique, no idea why that is.

In response to your post I have quoted, I don't know if I would go as far to say that GS has a problem as I think there is something for everyone, but I do share the thinking that I personally would rather have one of the ltd edition dials over the standard range, especially when the margin can be as small as a Ł200 or so as you said.
    Probably passing on the insured shipping cost onto the buyer. Gift horse and all that..

Quote Originally Posted by TH14TH14 View Post
    It's almost like the standard range is there to highlight the LEs and provide a counterpoint to the highly textured dials. Perhaps one of the intentions is to make the pricing of the LEs seem decent value.

It's been said before but I think it would be good if they would slow the pace of LE releases a bit. One of the reasons I haven't bought a GS for a while is because if I've been slightly unsure about a model, it's likely another will be released a week later. And whilst I appreciate they need a marketing story, I sometimes think they could make a bit less of the inspirations for certain dials, especially when it's just a new colourway for an existing dial texture. The most noticeable was when the tree ring pattern was placed at an angle and became an "orbit".

May as well get them out as quick as possible whilst all the Swiss team have a supply issue. Plus 2000 units is a tidy 6.4 million straight into the bank

That black dial looks great. almost.
    5 years on and no, I just can't agree with the "new" GS / Grand Seiko dials. shame.

Craftsman

I wonder why Seiko don’t make bracelets that actually fit the watches they are supplied with. As in most Seiko’s there is a huge gap between the end link and the lugs. On that picture, I can see the spring bar and the blue fabric behind the watch clearly.

Same with every GS I have tried on. I have been put off buying because I can see my arm clearly through the gaps. The end links are half a millimetre too narrow. It must be intentional because it isn’t difficult to make the bracelet the correct size as nearly every other brand does. For me it is unacceptably sloppy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    I wonder why Seiko don’t make bracelets that actually fit the watches they are supplied with. As in most Seiko’s there is a huge gap between the end link and the lugs. On that picture, I can see the spring bar and the blue fabric behind the watch clearly.

Same with every GS I have tried on. I have been put off buying because I can see my arm clearly through the gaps. The end links are half a millimetre too narrow. It must be intentional because it isn’t difficult to make the bracelet the correct size as nearly every other brand does. For me it is unacceptably sloppy.
    I’m not sure that’s what you are seeing. The ‘gap’ is a bevelled edge and the ‘spring bar’ is a reflection that appears in a different place on the other side. I have owned three GS and currently own two, and there is no gap at all on mine. I have seen a gap on a titanium model though, which I think may have been due to titanium’s tendency to fuse, meaning the end link could become bonded to the watch if they fit tightly, making the bracelet impossible to remove.

What a stunning looking watch. Email from grand seiko today tells me that they are all sold out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This does look gorgeous. I know its more money but is the pink spring cherry blossom a similar style of dial?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yep I think it is, lions mane pattern, or something like that. Also I think called rock pattern, GS are rather inventive with new names for patterns that are the same : )

No two ways about it, GS create some fabulous dials. To me, the snowflake and skyflake take a lot of beating.

I was invited to a GS Event this evening.

The Sea of Clouds SPGP017 was on display and I grabbed it to take some quick shots which were not in ideal lighting conditions but do give a fairly accurate representation of the dial shade.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I was invited to a GS Event this evening.

The Sea of Clouds SPGP017 was on display and I grabbed it to take some quick shots which were not in ideal lighting conditions but do give a fairly accurate representation of the dial shade.

That looks good! A lot more blue in your pics.

What do you think of it?

Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    That looks good! A lot more blue in your pics.

What do you think of it?
    It will wear beautifully imo, in these shots it was a little loose as the bracelet had the full set of links but it is slim and light. I would say it wears a little larger than 40mm probably due to the highly polished and pronounced shoulders. I have always been a big admirer of the 44GS case architecture and it does catch the light dramatically.

The top pic is the best I could get in terms of the dial shade I was seeing on the wrist but I suspect it will look a bit paler in natural light.
    Last edited by petay993; 17th June 2022 at 08:36.

Appreciate the pics. Its a little lighter than I thought and probably not for me as a result so I think I'll cancel my order

I think it looks great but maybe the dial is a bit too fancy so not that versatile for a small collection?

That's a problem I have with a lot of GS limited editions - stunning but maybe not everyday pieces?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 17th June 2022 at 09:29.