closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Watch Alert: Grand Seiko SBGP017G – “Sea of clouds”

Kinell it's super shiny isn't it. Gonna be a right pita to not smack

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Kinell it's super shiny isn't it. Gonna be a right pita to not smack
    Yep it is very 'Zaratsu-a-mundo' that's for sure.

I suppose it would upset Seiko if I brushed the sides

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    As an FYI when I picked it up and opened the box in the Boutique the watch had already been set to the correct time. The EXACT correct time, lined up perfectly with the atomic clock and they'd set the seconds hand perfectly. on this one the seconds hand does align perfectly with the markers.

Colour does change according to lighting and in natural light is lighter than the Tiffany Blue.

Also crown is not screwdown. It does have the fast-set hours which is super handy. The Assistant at the Boutique said that watch has 5 year warranty meaning 1st 2 battery changes are included
    Ryan, did they say the first two battery changes were included? Or is that an assumption? Might be a boutique look the other way perk, but others ads or GS going to honour that, where is it written?

My money is on it has a 5 year warranty on defects, battery depletion not being one

Not sure about GS but battery is a consumable part and never usually covered by warranty if dying from normal use.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d agree, this sounds odd. Ryan please clarify

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Ryan, did they say the first two battery changes were included? Or is that an assumption? Might be a boutique look the other way perk, but others ads or GS going to honour that, where is it written?

My money is on it has a 5 year warranty on defects, battery depletion not being one
    It was the female rep who I believe you deal with there (name begins with A) and she said 5 year warranty which includes battery changes

Natural light pics
    This is way beyond my budget but that dial is just lovely

Master
    Blog Entries
    It was the female rep who I believe you deal with there (name begins with A) and she said 5 year warranty which includes battery changes
    Thanks, mine arrives today and I’ll chat to her about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Thanks, mine arrives today and I’ll chat to her about this.
    Cool. You can reference me specifically as she knew that I knew you so she'll remember.

Interestingly the warranty says it doesn't cover the battery

Master
    Boutiques can offer ‘little extras’ instead of a discount. Free battery changes may be one of them. They gave me a free metal bracelet for my Skyflake….

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Excellent. Really excited to see what they do with this range next. The caseback is quartz-made-into-art. I'd love to see a no-date version of a GS quartz, but I doubt it'll be on the cards.
    No-date GS quartz? They’re available.

https://timeandtidewatches.com/intro...artz-movement/

I bought the SBGX343 last year. Sometimes regret moving it on.

Natural light pics
    Thanks for the photos Ryan, enjoy it! AMJ have mine and are posting it when I'm back at home next week. Can't wait! I've been close to buying the SBGA413 a few times in the past but I think this dial looks even better to my eye.

Courier just brought me mine, resizing a little fiddly but I love it! So very pleased to have been able to have secured one of these.

This is my first GS, everything positive said about GS is true.

Wears beautifully, and wears bigger than a 40mm generally I feel due to that fabulous 44GS Case design, which is a positive for me.

What a stunning watch.

[IMG]
    A case back display so you can ogle and fawn over, erm, the battery

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    A case back display so you can ogle and fawn over, erm, the battery
    It is strangely therapeutic as whilst it is of course a static viewpoint with no moving parts- the parts themselves are so well finished and I'd rather gaze at this and uncover small details than yet another 7750 caseback. The silver battery is somewhat out of keeping with the rest of the vista however.

For those who have bought how does it wear size wise? Say to a 5 digit sub or a 6 digit sub for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    For those who have bought how does it wear size wise? Say to a 5 digit sub or a 6 digit sub for reference.
    Like a Speedy Pro. It's flatter than a Sub but wears a bit wider IMHO

Watch Alert: Grand Seiko SBGP017G – “Sea of clouds”

Thank you. Tempted to try hunt one down now but might be quicker to wait for one or two of the usual suspects to list on SC.

I'll be in Chiswick later if you fancy saving yourself the effort of a SC post and RMSD.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 2nd July 2022 at 13:39.

Thank you. Tempted to try hunt one down now but might be quicker to wait for one or two of the usual suspects to list on SC.

I'll be in Chiswick later if you fancy yourself the effort of a SC post and RMSD.
    Hahaha yep very true probably lol!

Will be interested to see what price the scalpers list these at as they were very oversubscribed.

Bigger than it’s dimensions I’d say more like 42mm!

Six digit territory. Very comfy but as already stated fiddly to adjust the BCT, screws are tiny.

Waiting for a leather strap to land to mix it up.
    Last edited by Snoodles; 2nd July 2022 at 13:56.

I think that is a very accurate description of how it wears.

I've picked it up. Bracelet is an experience to adjust. Not sure if I still need to mess with it but very pleased. Andrew at Deacons is a superb asset to them and the first time I've ever been there

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Made a fair few calls today. Everyone sold out or fully reserved.

WoS couldn't tell if they'd had an allocation or sold through their allocation. Might be some there later on potentially.

Congrats!

Top tip - to be truly appreciative of the 'cloud' effect and see the dial become almost 3d wear it outside in the dying light of the day. When the fading light casts shadows and the polished indices really gleam in the minimal light the effect is breathtaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    I've picked it up. Bracelet is an experience to adjust. Not sure if I still need to mess with it but very pleased. Andrew at Deacons is a superb asset to them and the first time I've ever been there

Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Bigger than it’s dimensions I’d say more like 42mm!
    I really like this watch and was disappointed it was 40mm (but it was always going to be). If it wears like 42mm I may need to try one sometime.

Does it have a smooth clutched second hand, and does it move once or twice per second?

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I really like this watch and was disappointed it was 40mm (but it was always going to be). If it wears like 42mm I may need to try one sometime.

Does it have a smooth clutched second hand, and does it move once or twice per second?
    Movement is exactly the same as the SBGP015 you had. Quickset hour, and the hands do move twice per second but that is imperceptible to the human eye and looks just like a precise tick.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post

I dont think it wears that big as its quite thin as well

Made a fair few calls today. Everyone sold out or fully reserved.

WoS couldn't tell if they'd had an allocation or sold through their allocation. Might be some there later on potentially.
    Japanese sellers have them at Ł3300 on C24. Add in VAT/Shipping and that will be Ł4k landed which is Ł800 above UK RRP but I suspect a good grand or so less than what the resale price on these will be

Second hand is smacking right on the money as well.
    Deacons did scoff at the battery replacement but he did give me a GS 2 watch display case which was nice as I never asked for it.

Japanese sellers have them at Ł3300 on C24. Add in VAT/Shipping and that will be Ł4k landed which is Ł800 above UK RRP but I suspect a good grand or so less than what the resale price on these will be
    Did have a look earlier but it would be my first GS and I don't think I want to go in too heavy.

Knowing GS there will be another limited edition in about 5 days anyway, just a question of if there's any hype behind it. The blue dial one you had before wasn't for me but this looks interesting enough

Movement is exactly the same as the SBGP015 you had. Quickset hour, and the hands do move twice per second but that is imperceptible to the human eye and looks just like a precise tick.
    Cheers Ryan, this is one watch I will keep an eye on.

If looking at Japan sources, note it is released there on July 8th, list price is Ł2450 (ex Sales Tax) at today’s rate

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    If looking at Japan sources, note it is released there on July 8th, list price is Ł2450 (ex Sales Tax) at today’s rate
    Japan has 800 of the 2000 global allocation but my understanding is all allocated however some of the greys are listing them for around Ł3300-Ł3400. Add VAT/Shipping etc and there's the Ł4k.

At RRP Ł2,450 plus 10% Japanese Sales Tax is a fair bit cheaper than UK at around Ł2,750 or so but of course unlikely anyone outside Japan is getting one at that price

Hmmmm, I happen to be in Tokyo later this month...
    Last edited by gunner; 2nd July 2022 at 20:47.

Prob not the best comparison

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Hmmmm, I happen to be in Tokyo later this month...
    Anyone know how I would go about sourcing one?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Will be interested to see what price the scalpers list these at as they were very oversubscribed.
    Times are a changing. Trinkets prices once supported by the everything bubble is no longer.

Master

Try searching Rakuten for the model, and any Tokyo stores that are advertising it would be one way. Might take a day or three after release there. Might be also worth trying Wako and the nearby GS boutique, but think those are most likely of all to be sold out. Yahoo auctions would be another place to look, people selling on.

Edit: Not sure the Nakano stores would have this, but they’re always worth a look anyway!

Contact one of the stores advertising on C24 and say you'd do a pick up and what would the price be

the hands do move twice per second but that is imperceptible to the human eye and looks just like a precise tick.
    It’s less that a movement twice per second wouldn’t be perceptible, but more the nature of the 9F twin pulse movement, the first pulse not bringing the hand to complete rest before the second pulse gives it a further boot, which means it’s not really pausing on the half beat and is why it doesn’t register. Very clever way to add torque for bigger handsets.

Shame they’ve omitted the capped second hand that they do so well in other models.

And if they’re going to continue with display backs, surely a gold tone battery, with GS branding, is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Shame they’ve omitted the capped second hand that they do so well in other models.
    Yes, it's a detail that once appreciated is hard to overlook. An old one of mine:

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    And if they’re going to continue with display backs, surely a gold tone battery, with GS branding, is essential.
    I believe Seiko would have to license Maxell's patents (JP 50 1975 12533 A and JP 59 1984 -166359 U) on the gold layer used for the negative electrode can. Or an owner could fit the equivalent Maxell cell if they wanted the gold look.

Personally I think the contrast of the silver battery is fine. Seiko are (rightly, in my view) unapologetic about their superb watches that just happen to be powered by a battery. Show the cell proudly

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Seiko are (rightly, in my view) unapologetic about their superb watches that just happen to be powered by a battery. Show the cell proudly
    Oh, show the cell by all means! I just think the pride in their superb quartz watches would be further reinforced if they went all-in with the visual integration. And, a “Seiko” branded cell is surely anachronistic now that GS don’t carry the Seiko branding elsewhere on the watch….

Contact one of the stores advertising on C24 and say you'd do a pick up and what would the price be
    Good idea
    Last edited by gunner; 3rd July 2022 at 10:33.

Personally I hope they continue to bring out more models with fancy dials and the quartz movement. Their quartz movements are something to be proud of, are in no way inferior to the mechanical movements and are a nice differentiator- aside from Citizen and FP Journe is any other manufacturer investing in furthering quartz movement development?

Couldn’t resist..

That looks lovely, great photo.

Hmm could be WTB time.