closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 261

Thread: Watch Alert: Grand Seiko SBGP017G – “Sea of clouds”

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Planet earth
    Posts
    815

    Watch Alert: Grand Seiko SBGP017G – “Sea of clouds”

    New limited quartz, 44GS anniversary. Quite the looker!

    http://www.scottishwatches.co.uk/202...sea-of-clouds/




  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Malvern
    Posts
    6,599
    Blog Entries
    1
    That’s a lovely looking thing!

  3. #3
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    3,452
    That sure is lovely, I was hoping for 41mm but alas and not surprisingly, it's 40mm.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,755
    Blog Entries
    6
    Heard about this and love it. Ordered mine

  5. #5
    Master Rocket Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Heard about this and love it. Ordered mine
    First dibs please

    Great to see another 9F with a display back:

    https://www.fratellowatches.com/gran...mited-edition/
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 7th June 2022 at 18:49.

  6. #6
    Master Neilw3030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Exeter, Devon, UK
    Posts
    4,015
    That was an interesting read about the watch, i had no idea about the crystals and their use, and that dial is exquisite

  7. #7
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,882
    12 allocated to Seiko boutique Knightsbridge, 3 left

  8. #8
    Master OldHooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    4,053
    The shade of the dial in the stock photos varies quite considerably. They range from unappealing to very nice. I've no idea what it really looks like!

  9. #9
    Master sish101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    County Durham
    Posts
    3,323
    That is a thing of beauty but I'd be more likely to buy one if it was around £2.5K (listed price is £3,200). Do you see discounts on the GS range? Or do I wait to see if one turns up on SC

    Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

  10. #10
    Master Rocket Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,301
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    The shade of the dial in the stock photos varies quite considerably. They range from unappealing to very nice. I've no idea what it really looks like!
    I don’t know about you, but the dial makes me think of a sea of clouds over the mountains...

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,755
    Blog Entries
    6
    No discounts on this new. Also I have a feeling this will be a above rrp watch for a long time, it has so much going for it and tbh the price is cheap for what it is.

    If you like it I’d go buy before they sell out

  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Warsash, Hampshire
    Posts
    719
    I have the SBGP013 which is the dark blue dial version of this watch. The dial goes from almost black to a stunning almost starburst effect in sunlight.
    I can't speak highly enough of the 9F85 movement as mine is running -1 after 5 1/2 months.
    I know it's expensive for a quartz but with that dial as well, I wouldn't think twice. They wear really well as well

    Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    650
    Blog Entries
    1
    I want one,

    How have you ordered one as seems can’t buy online?

  14. #14
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,882
    Just ordered one via the boutique.

    Re the previous question the only way to order online is to make an expression of interest via the Seiko website and someone will contact you with a payment link.

  15. #15
    Master Rocket Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,301
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmer42 View Post
    I have the SBGP013 which is the dark blue dial version of this watch. The dial goes from almost black to a stunning almost starburst effect in sunlight.
    Do you mean the SBGP005 with the same 44GS case?
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 7th June 2022 at 22:00.

  16. #16
    love the look of the 44gs case although never seen one in person. I would imagine they are an absolute scratch fest though.

  17. #17
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    226
    Very nice looking thing, that dial texture is mesmerising!

  18. #18
    Master M1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,299
    Oh wow, 9F with a display back, that's new!

    Love this. Probably not going to spend £3k on it, but it does look well worth it.

  19. #19
    Contender for the elusive exit watch

  20. #20
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Warsash, Hampshire
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Do you mean the SBGP005 with the same 44GS case?
    No, mine is the non 44GS case version with an Oyster style bracelet. If I was buying the watch again I would have stumped up the extra £500 for the SBGP05. At just over £2k the SBGP013 was still a great buy though

  21. #21
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    650
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just ordered mine! Somehow I think this will end up on the misses wrist tho!

  22. #22
    Master Rocket Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,301
    Quote Originally Posted by strell View Post
    Just ordered mine! Somehow I think this will end up on the misses wrist tho!
    I guess it could be a unisex option!

    Pale blue seems to be very on point.

  23. #23
    Craftsman petay993's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    692
    Just ordered and paid via GS London.

    Now sold out of their allocation.

  24. #24
    Master gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,601
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    Just ordered and paid via GS London.

    Now sold out of their allocation.
    Maybe I won't pop in tomorrow then!

  25. #25
    Master murkeywaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near the sea
    Posts
    6,734
    Oooh I do like that and the display back!!


  26. #26
    Master jukeboxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,114
    Lovely, it almost convinced me to buy my first high-end Seiko. Thankfully it's sold out.

    That said, given the beauty of the front, the rear view is a disappointment with battery on display...

  27. #27
    Craftsman petay993's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Maybe I won't pop in tomorrow then!
    The guy I spoke with, Jamie, said they had 12 allocated and now gone. If you are local I would be calling in as they could get a further allocation if it doesn't sell out in other markets.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Lovely, it almost convinced me to buy my first high-end Seiko. Thankfully it's sold out.

    That said, given the beauty of the front, the rear view is a disappointment with battery on display...
    Battery cover would have been nice at £3k+!!

  28. #28
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,132
    Looks a little like the spring drive snowflake sky but with a battery.

  29. #29
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,593
    Blog Entries
    26
    Seiko seem to see no reason to be ashamed of batteries. :-)

  30. #30
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,882
    I recently spent what was for me at least a lot of money on a Zenith Chronomaster Original and genuinely planned to be at least 6 months off buying watches as I need to be prudent. And then GS just foist this upon me. To me it is everything I love about GS. Wonderful dial. Superb finishing of the indices. And now a showcase 9F movement that they show off. For what you get this is great value - to me the 9F is every bit as innovative and horology-centred as GS mechanical movements - this is no ordinary quartz and it is great to see GS so robustly proud about their quartz craftsmanship and putting the 9F in some really superb designs.


    Even my wife (who frequently moans about the number of new watches that make their way into the home) was like 'well surely you have to buy that don't you? You have to'.

  31. #31
    Master Toshk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I recently spent what was for me at least a lot of money on a Zenith Chronomaster Original and genuinely planned to be at least 6 months off buying watches as I need to be prudent. And then GS just foist this upon me. To me it is everything I love about GS. Wonderful dial. Superb finishing of the indices. And now a showcase 9F movement that they show off. For what you get this is great value - to me the 9F is every bit as innovative and horology-centred as GS mechanical movements - this is no ordinary quartz and it is great to see GS so robustly proud about their quartz craftsmanship and putting the 9F in some really superb designs.


    Even my wife (who frequently moans about the number of new watches that make their way into the home) was like 'well surely you have to buy that don't you? You have to'.
    Only because of that trending blue

  32. #32
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Only because of that trending blue
    Yeah even GS have gotten onto the Tiffany bandwagon

  33. #33
    Master Toshk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Yeah even GS have gotten onto the Tiffany bandwagon
    Twice on tiffany now :)

  34. #34
    Master blackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Up north wit cowd weather
    Posts
    4,144
    Will it need to be a seiko battery on show or will any owd $hite be ok ?

  35. #35
    Master Toshk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Will it need to be a seiko battery on show or will any owd $hite be ok ?
    You obviously aren’t aware Seiko do everything in house. They even grow their own quartz!

  36. #36
    Master blackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Up north wit cowd weather
    Posts
    4,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    You obviously aren’t aware Seiko do everything in house. They even grow their own quartz!
    Yes I'm aware I mean when it needs a battery. Will Renata have the same effect through the back ?

  37. #37
    Master Toshk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    Yes I'm aware I mean when it needs a battery. Will Renata have the same effect through the back ?
    Apologies then. Thought your post was a snide. Sorry.

  38. #38
    Master blackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Up north wit cowd weather
    Posts
    4,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Apologies then. Thought your post was a snide. Sorry.
    No problem. I was merely thinking no one is going to pay to have this sent back for a battery surely ?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Apologies then. Thought your post was a snide. Sorry.
    Then also thinking would Seiko invalidate the watch for not having a seiko battery ?

  39. #39
    Master M1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,299
    I keep looking back at this one. Great watch. I think if they make a habit of display case 9F's then I'll need to get one. I hope they ditch the date and give us one that's a tad more toned down.

    Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    No problem. I was merely thinking no one is going to pay to have this sent back for a battery surely ?

    Then also thinking would Seiko invalidate the watch for not having a seiko battery ?
    The 9F movement is sealed, so you can change the battery without impacting anything else. That's why they have the 50 year suggested service interval (aside from battery changes and seals).

  40. #40
    Grand Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    11,386
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post

    The 9F movement is sealed, so you can change the battery without impacting anything else. That's why they have the 50 year suggested service interval (aside from battery changes and seals).
    The 50-year claim was theoretical, not suggested. Just saying.

  41. #41
    Master blackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Up north wit cowd weather
    Posts
    4,144
    I was really annoyed today. I emailed them yesterday to register interest. No reply so rang this afternoon to be told none left.
    Poor show especially when there were clearly some left until mid morning.

    No matter I've sourced alternative options.

    Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

  42. #42
    Master j111dja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    6,113
    It's certainly a looker.

    I enjoyed the Fratello Watches review today.

  43. #43
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    890
    Gutted to read they are out of stock, really wanted one of these.

  44. #44
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,882
    Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms View Post
    Gutted to read they are out of stock, really wanted one of these.
    Try Francis and Gaye or any Watches of Switzerland as they will surely get some and I suspect the die hard GS nuts went via the Boutique which is why that sold out first. 2,000 pieces isn't all that limited IMHO but I do think they will sell out

  45. #45
    Master M1011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The 50-year claim was theoretical, not suggested. Just saying.
    I'm not sure the distinction was particularly pertinent to the point being made, but fair enough.

  46. #46
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Try Francis and Gaye or any Watches of Switzerland as they will surely get some and I suspect the die hard GS nuts went via the Boutique which is why that sold out first. 2,000 pieces isn't all that limited IMHO but I do think they will sell out

    Thanks Ryan, I checked with F&G online, and they are displaying as sold out online but I'll phone them. I'll also try WoS stores.

  47. #47
    Craftsman petay993's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    692
    Got a couple of photos of the actual watch to share.





    These were taken at the boutique under harsh lights but appear to show the dial as paler than the renders which I am ok with.

    The second hand will need to be hitting the markers though!!

  48. #48
    Master mondie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Llandudno (ex Oz)
    Posts
    3,452
    I am not as keen on the paler blue but it's hard to judge under a harsh light. In my experience, the second hand hitting the markers is not a given, even with GS.

  49. #49
    Craftsman petay993's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    I am not as keen on the paler blue but it's hard to judge under a harsh light. In my experience, the second hand hitting the markers is not a given, even with GS.
    Yes seen plenty at the local AD that don't.

    I couldn't have one that didn't, it would trigger huge OCD issues!

  50. #50
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,882
    A lot of the GS quartzes don't hit the indices dead on and that's considered 'within tolerance'.

    Mind you none of the Breiling quartzes hit dead on either. If you want super accurate second hand/indices marker combo then the next level up from GS quartz is the Citizen Chronomasters.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information