closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long term seller's remorse

Long term seller's remorse

I enjoy a variety of watches and rotating a collection of <10 watches has generally seemed a sensible way of keeping things under control while trying new brands/models.

HOWEVER, just made the mistake of looking through some of my old sales post and now feeling slightly sick.

Why on earth did I sell the Seadweller?! Or the Capeland XXL?! Or the Breitling M1 or Seawolf?!

Idiot...

Never look back, or never sell
    The only way to stay sane (ish) with this hobby.
    There are a few I regret but on the whole it takes me a while to decide to sell so I am pretty’s sure I won’t miss them
    Regretting not buying is another issue.
    The single red sub for 5.5k
    Numerous issued Precistas and CWC divers for less than a grand
    Countless cosmonautes.
    If I knew then what I know now etc.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 7th June 2022 at 16:38.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    I enjoy a variety of watches and rotating a collection of <10 watches has generally seemed a sensible way of keeping things under control while trying new brands/models.

HOWEVER, just made the mistake of looking through some of my old sales post and now feeling slightly sick.

Why on earth did I sell the Seadweller?! Or the Capeland XXL?! Or the Breitling M1 or Seawolf?!

Idiot...
    If it took you looking through old posts to remember, I wouldn't call that true remorse and wouldn't worry about it!

Some days I get pangs of regret over a couple I have moved on... the 8500 'Skyfall' blue Aqua Terra made for a very short period was a lovely watch I think of everytime the film is on telly (about once a bloody week!).
    Or the other day, saw some bloke in a shop sporting a gen 1 45mm Planet Ocean which reminded me of the 2500D variant of the 1st gen Planet Ocean 42mm I used to have (the best PO Omega made IMO).

But moving them was done for the right reasons at the time. No money was lost and what remains, I prefer. No point beating oneself up over these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    If it took you looking through old posts to remember, I wouldn't call that true remorse and wouldn't worry about it!

Some days I get pangs of regret over a couple I have moved on... the 8500 'Skyfall' blue Aqua Terra made for a very short period was a lovely watch I think of everytime the film is on telly (about once a bloody week!).
    Or the other day, saw some bloke in a shop sporting a gen 1 45mm Planet Ocean which reminded me of the 2500D variant of the 1st gen Planet Ocean 42mm I used to have (the best PO Omega made IMO).

But moving them was done for the right reasons at the time. No money was lost and what remains, I prefer. No point beating oneself up over these things.
    Damn it, I'd forgotten the Aqua Terra!

Blog Entries
    Main regrets...
    Damasko DC66
    Breitling Chrono Avenger
    Seiko Marinemaster 300M
    Fortis B-42 Cosmonauts GMT

All the above sold on this Forum and are hopefully still in circulation.

Damn it, I'd forgotten the Aqua Terra!
    Soz! :P

Omega's relentless tinkering with the AT design has only solidified my opinion that first teak dial with date surround, integrated crown guards, and all brushed bracelet, really was the best version.

Master
    Only watch I regret selling is a 116520 which is a watch I’d wanted for over a decade. I only sold it because I got the 116500 and thought I’d never wear both. Jumped the gun selling it really.

All the others I’ve sold, went for the right reasons. It would only be financial reasons in hindsight that I should have kept them - could say that about anything that’s gone up though.

Only watch I regret selling was a Longines Ultronic.

It was immaculate.

I do have a blue-dialed one now, which is quite nice, but it's not as good.

I don't sell a lot of watches, but those I have I mostly haven't missed.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I feel your pain. I try not to think about the SD4k I sold for £6k just days before Rolex announced it had been discontinued. If I do think about it, I try to comfort myself with the 5711 and 5167 I picked up at RRP not long after. But, lesson learned since that earlier mistake - I've never sold a Rolex since.

I think of my ex-watches much like I think of my ex-girlfriends. Fun while it lasted, it ended for a reason. I might sometimes think fondly of them but ultimately, no regrets.

As for the AT, I agree the 8500 series with the date surround and brushed bracelet was definitely the best. I just bought one recently, in black and it’s away at Omega getting a service. That particular model has been my humble grail since I got into the hobby and I can’t wait to get it in hand! Judging by what people have said about these experiences, it might turn out to be a disappointment but I guess it’s a rite of passage!

Master
    Far too many to list, like the OP painful to think about it (and usually costly), but it's nice to try different brands/models i guess.

No regrets at all. Maybe a slight twinge over the B&R Demineur, but anything I’ve sold went for a good reason.

Maybe it’s wise to never sell a Rolex, as long as you didn’t pay grey market mega-money for it!

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by muddymonkey View Post
    Far too many to list, like the OP painful to think about it (and usually costly), but it's nice to try different brands/models i guess.
    My sentiments too.

I’ve always felt guilty having too much money in watches. I only ever spend what I can comfortably afford, but it seems so extravagant sometimes spending so much on a wrist adornment.

So I’ve normally sold before I buy something new. Means there’s a fair few regrets. These are probably the highlights (lowlights?);

Not the fanciest or most valuable watches I’ve had, but ones I still sometimes look to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by IVK View Post
    My sentiments too.

I’ve always felt guilty having too much money in watches. I only ever spend what I can comfortably afford, but it seems so extravagant sometimes spending so much on a wrist adornment.

So I’ve normally sold before I buy something new. Means there’s a fair few regrets. These are probably the highlights (lowlights?);

Not the fanciest or most valuable watches I’ve had, but ones I still sometimes look to replace.

I can relate to the GMT. Bought one in 82, sold it in 98, 7 months later I bought another one. I now have 3, but still regret selling the first one.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Yup, me too.

If I looked back over my history I'd probably have more regrets but two that spring to mind are a PRS-5 and a Rolex Oysterquartz (at pre-mad prices).

I daren't look further.

Craftsman
    It's not the money, more the silly little things. Buying a slightly bashed up Sea Dweller from a pawn shop with my 1 year old daughter giggling on my knee. Then a Daytona when the old guarantee papers had your name written on them.

I'm a sentimental old fool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    It's not the money, more the silly little things. Buying a slightly bashed up Sea Dweller from a pawn shop with my 1 year old daughter giggling on my knee. Then a Daytona when the old guarantee papers had your name written on them.

I'm a sentimental old fool.
    :-)

Was lucky enough to pick up an 2006 LV sub at a decent price in late 2015 just before the prices really began to rise.

Following a tip of from a fellow TZ'er I had already put my name down for a Rolex Hulk with Mappin and Webb in late 2015 and then got a call early in 2016 that they had one for me.

I turned it down as felt overexposed to 'green' watches.

Mappin and Webb then called me again 1-2 months later as they had another Hulk in stock and asked if I would I like to buy this one......oh those were the days!

I reluctantly said "yes please" as I had started to think I wouldn't lose money and would just have to make a call which one won the green battle.

In the end the Kermit beat the Hulk as it felt like a more wearable everyday watch based on size and sheer amount of green and at the time most likely in investment terms though that was less important to me.

So I sold the Hulk to Watchfinder for about £6,500 as I didn't feel comfortable having such an expensive watch hanging around the house not being worn. As that is now a £20k+ watch that's definitely the poorest money related watch decision I've made in c.20 years of WISdom.

So whilst I think about this decision from time to time its barely classed as remorse or regret as I wouldn't now want to be wearing a £20k watch on my wrist and any profits from a sale would just disappear into long term savings/pension pot/house renovations.

If there's any seller remorse its more about the wider market generally that its disappeared so far up its own behind that its no longer relevant to the average watch fan.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Was lucky enough to pick up an 2006 LV sub at a decent price in late 2015 just before the prices really began to rise.

Following a tip of from a fellow TZ'er I had already put my name down for a Rolex Hulk with Mappin and Webb in late 2015 and then got a call early in 2016 that they had one for me.

I turned it down as felt overexposed to 'green' watches.

Mappin and Webb then called me again 1-2 months later as they had another Hulk in stock and asked if I would I like to buy this one......oh those were the days!

I reluctantly said "yes please" as I had started to think I wouldn't lose money and would just have to make a call which one won the green battle.

In the end the Kermit beat the Hulk as it felt like a more wearable everyday watch based on size and sheer amount of green and at the time most likely in investment terms though that was less important to me.

So I sold the Hulk to Watchfinder for about £6,500 as I didn't feel comfortable having such an expensive watch hanging around the house not being worn. As that is now a £20k+ watch that's definitely the poorest money related watch decision I've made in c.20 years of WISdom.

So whilst I think about this decision from time to time its barely classed as remorse or regret as I wouldn't now want to be wearing a £20k watch on my wrist and any profits from a sale would just disappear into long term savings/pension pot/house renovations.

If there's any seller remorse its more about the wider market generally that its disappeared so far up its own behind that its no longer relevant to the average watch fan.
    I have only sold one watch a Rolex Explorer 2 in 2009 ish for £1700, I regret that but it was in order to buy a White Daytona for £6,300. I thought I as mad paying over RRP for a secondhand watch. I do not regret that now!

Omega Speedy Ultraman..

But I picked up a Omega AT 8500 Skyfall from here a good few years ago that looking at the posts above I'm glad I never sold :)

The good purchases outweigh the bad sales but it we talk ones that got away...... a Daytona at list that arrived just before my wedding in 2010 (It was that or a wedding reception) and then a ceramic Daytona in March 2020 at list that I had to collect from Barcelona just as airspace closed for covid :(

Not sellers remorse exactly, as I sold it to help fund my DSSD, but I do miss my PAM00156. Such a lovely watch...

Simon

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

These 3.
    Everything else has been replaceable without too much headache.

6105 I sold here,never guessed it would be so difficult now to find one in similar condition.

The only watches I regret selling are Rolex sports watches. Not because I missed them but for financial reasons, let my BLNR go for £5,600 and a ceramic sub for £4,600, lol.

Craftsman
    I too am a member of the long term seller’s remorse club… both Sports Rolexes, but actually I don’t care that I didn’t make silly money on them (but didn’t lose either - essentially sold both for just over what i paid for both). No i care more that there were things about both the BLNR and the black 16570 that i really liked and because I’m not okay with secondary market prices i have to accept that I won’t have either on my wrist again. I’m not in a position to have a collection of Rolex watches, and both times i know i sold them because they are such easy things to sell. I took time to learn the adage that selling a SS Rolex takes a phonecall, but buying (certainly a new) one takes an age…

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I guess when you spend time with a decent watch on that you then sell, there’s (for me anyway) a weird sense that I’ve sort of sold off part of myself during those periods. Certainly a version of me anyway. It’s a strange strange hobby this. But this thread is making me feel slightly better!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    The only watches I regret selling are Rolex sports watches. Not because I missed them but for financial reasons, let my BLNR go for £5,600 and a ceramic sub for £4,600, lol.

Ha - also sold mine just before the big boom! Hulk for 5K I think!

Sometimes find myself looking at another Hulk but remind myself that despite lusting over them, when I finally got it I never felt like wearing it

SydR
    I lusted after a Rolex Submariner since childhood and eventually bought one ~5 years ago from an AD.

It never really lived up to its hype, for me any, and I’ve offloaded it recently for a decent price.

I guess it was more buyer regret with me on that one.

My biggest regrets are two Grand Seiko historical re-editions, the SBGR095 and SBGV011.

Limited editions of 600 and 900 pieces, from a time when prices were much more reasonable.

Those two will haunt me forever more.

My Black Label FP Journe Calendrier and a Patek 3940 in R/G.
    They were my favourite watches.

In the late 80’s I sold my Sub to a pawnshop, so I could buy a Longines VHP quartz.
    What a Pratt!!

Master
    My Gadebusch limited edition Mark XV. Pictured here on the day it arrived, in 2000 I think.

Craftsman
    I sold my first ‘proper’ watch today, an Omega Seamaster with a gloss blue dial and it does feel kind of strange as it had been with me since new for just over six years! Silly as it sounds, I’ve already started reflecting on memorable occasions when I wore it.

As much as I enjoyed it most of the time, i stopped enjoying it as much for some reason earlier this year, hence my decision.

I also want something else (possibly a new Aqua Terra) to commemorate my 40th a couple months ago and just wouldn’t feel comfortable and couldn’t justify having two ‘luxury’ watches so I’d rather put funds from one into another!

Craftsman
    Sold my platty for £47k my full set solid gold 16528 Daytona for £10k I think I win (or loose) if we count cars Ferrari 328gts for £23k f355 spider for £28k😞

Craftsman
    I sold my JLC Reverso 976 and my JLC Sector Dial Master Control Date. I did this to fund the purchase of a used Rolex GMT BLNR. It’s the only Rolex I have paid above retail for and caused me to let go of two absolute stunner JLCs. I never bonded with “Batman” as a result of feeling I overpaid. It was also gone within a year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post

In the late 80’s I sold my Sub to a pawnshop, so I could buy a Longines VHP quartz.
    What a Pratt!!

In your defence the late 1980s was a period of consumption and everyone was keen to own the latest gizmo and that included watches.

Good makes such as Longines with quartz movement were right at the top of must haves, so whilst in retrospect it was not a good move, it was perfectly understandable. You have to remember that mechanical watches were regarded as a bit naff during that period of time.

Sold my 2500 PO to a guy on a car forum… missed it but kept in touch and he very kindly let me buy back.

So have the watch and gained a great friend 😃

Craftsman
    I sold my BLRO to a TZ member to fund an approved used car purchase. Car was stolen 5 weeks after I brought it, found a few hours later and repaired. Eventually returned to me after 3 months, but then rejected back to the supplying dealer as it was remapped at the time of purchase therefore missold. 7 months wasted owning a car that caused me nothing but trouble.

Now to somehow get another BLRO without paying through my eyeballs. I really wish I just kept that watch

Master
    Just a few...

Like others, the original Omega Aqua-Terra Skyfall in 38.5mm
    Lovely tritium Speedmaster Pro
    Doxa Sub300 Pro 50th Anniversary - can't seem to find one reasonably priced these days
    Rolex SD4k bought new from Goldsmiths with a discounted card (sold below retail before discontinuation)
    Rolex Oysterquartz fresh from Rolex service
    Rolex Milgauss GV (sold for a price beginning with "3")

There are various Rolexes that were sold and my only regret is I didn't sell them later (for more money!). I still don't hanker after them.

The current prices mean my 5513 gets worn less but I can't bring myself to sell it as I couldn't justify spending that kind of money to ever buy one again. It was a daily wearer bought for around £3k but is now resigned to occasional "safe" conditions rather than previously cleaning the shed, riding a MTB, holidays by the pool etc. The price of some watches these days takes the care-free enjoyment out of them for me.

Ant

This probably would have been a good place to stop...

This probably would have been a good place to stop...

But you know that won't happen.😉

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    But you know that won't happen.
    It didn't happen! The Seawolf, GMTII and JLC are all gone.

Craftsman
    I have a superpower...

...It's buying watches for a high price and selling them for a low one.

Not the most useful superpower on the planet LOL.

I still miss this: 2008 Omega Planet Ocean 2500C - Gorgeous =)

Master
    2 for me, a Speedy that sold for around £2000 in 2020, which was to clear some debt before mortgage renewal.

But now have come to regret selling my Brietling Navitimer that I bought in 2004 and sold in 2018 for a holiday that not one really says anything about!!

With only then being on the hunt for those type of watches agin!

4 different seamsters, one of which was a 120, a speedy pro and a couple of constellations, an MM600 (I really liked that), DJ, Seawolf, BR01-92, BR03-92....

I'm making myself feel sick....

Master
    I think I only regret 2. There are others I miss now and again, such as the gloss black dial seamaster… but not quite on the regret list.

I do regret moving on my Longines Heritage 1967 diver chrono. Sold it thinking that I’d be buying a Black Bay Red at some point (but never did).

Also my IWC 3777. Unloved by many due to the triple date window, but I knew even at the time of selling it that I didn’t really want to. The urge to buy another watch was too much at that moment in time,

Andy.

It didn't happen! The Seawolf, GMTII and JLC are all gone.
    ……but you kept that lovely Zenith

Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    ……but you kept that lovely Zenith
    That's the one permanent resident, not going anywhere.

I regretted selling my Damasko DC56 from the day I posted it, until yesterday, when I bought another one...

...for nearly £200 more than I paid for the last one...

Still, it's a great example bought from a great seller, so...

Too many but one that stands out was an absolute gem of a 16520 Patrizzi dial that due to an acrimonious divorce had to go. Replacement was a white 16520 but took a few good years to acquire and at a much higher price but hey ho in this game they just keep going up

Craftsman
    ive sold 3 speedmaster pros.. all probably cheaper than id be able to replace them for.. last one was from here last christmas and i had it serviced with the aim of keeping forever.. needed to raise some money in the summer quickly so it had to go.. sold a seiko sla043 which i regretted but luckily i was able to replace with a sla037 this year which im desperately trying not to think about selling! the one thing about the speedmaster is there is no shortage of them...