closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If it happened to me it could happen to you

Sorry to hear of this. I hope you and your wife are ok. We should be able to wear what we feel but unfortunately that isn’t the world we live in.

Craftsman
    Sad to hear and read but at least you’re both okay apart from being shaken up of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a rubbish experience, glad you and the wife are relatively OK.

I was nearly mugged once (but managed to stay on the bicycle and kept riding) and it takes a while to get over it. Just be kind to yourself. You seem to be doing all the sensible things as well.

Master
    First of all thanks to everyone for the sympathetic comments, it is much appreciated.

The wife and I are now back to normal and I will continue to wear the watch but I will be choosey where I go and what I wear.

The longer term plan is when I get back to the UK, I will only wear the 39mm Explorer 214270. That must be a very off the radar watch by Rolex standards and I may even put it on a brown leather strap to make it look even less like a Rolex.

One point I would add is that yesterday both Sue and I noticed that the girl was very nice, very gentle in her approach and spoke quietly. It was only when she opened the car door that we became suspicious but she said her hand was arthritic and it was all bunched up which we later realised was false. She allowed the "dysfunctional hand" to lower itself to my wrist and she then undone the clasp in a couple of seconds but was still talking in a whisper. Obviously as we were in a public place she did not want to attract attention. I suddenly realised what she was up to and when I tried to pull her hand off the watch she was still being totally silent which added to the unreal effect of what was going on. If she had shouted or been aggressive it would have been more real and obvious.

The moment she was whacked on the head she walked off in a way that would not attract attention and the man just slowly drove off, again, without attracting undue attention.

Therefore attracting attention is the thing that they really don't want, so if it ever happens to you shout back loudly or sound the car horn, anything to attract attention. Her first aim was to take it off me without me even realising it and she very nearly done it.

It was all done in a professional way.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ This is all useful to know. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    ^^^ This is all useful to know. Thank you.
    Seconded.
    Food for thought.

Sorry to hear this

I've been wearing a Rolex for about eleven years. Up until about a year ago I never thought twice about my watch being visible and attractive to a thief. I wear five or six digit steel Rolex. None have polished centre links or anything.

Now I'm very conscious and even take it off on a quiet tube train or similar. This really puts me off wearing them at all because what if I misread a situation one day and don't take my watch off and am them attacked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Sorry to hear this

I've been wearing a Rolex for about eleven years. Up until about a year ago I never thought twice about my watch being visible and attractive to a thief. I wear five or six digit steel Rolex. None have polished centre links or anything.

Now I'm very conscious and even take it off on a quiet tube train or similar. This really puts me off wearing them at all because what if I misread a situation one day and don't take my watch off and am them attacked for it
    Its just being aware of your surroundings and dare I say it using common sense.

You wouldn't walk around a bustling city and use public transport with a cash full wallet in your back pocket or park a brand new Ferrari on a council estate as it will attract all the wrong attention, the same rules apply to a recognisable watch and short sleeves, myself I just see it as the norm to not wear certain watches in certain places.

It doesn't feel strange to to do this and anyone saying its not worth owning if you cant wear it all the time is talking rubbish, I enjoy my watches immensely, from Seiko divers to Rolex, they all get wrist time when and where its suitable..