closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If it happened to me it could happen to you

Master

If it happened to me it could happen to you

This morning the wife and I decided it was high time for her to take a walk around the local market as she she slowly recovering from her stroke.

We went down to the local market in San Juan de Los Terreros, spent about 45 buying a few baubles and then made our way back to the car park. We were about to drive off in the car when a young woman tapped on the drivers window which I lowered. She said she was looking for work and did I know anyone who was looking for a cleaner. She suddenly grabbed the Rolex and started to tug it off my wrist and of course I was tugging it back. My wife saved the day by whacking the woman about the head with her walking sticking which must bloody hurt because she ran off.

The police aren't interested because they can't prosecute unless they witness the crime.

It certainly made a change from the normal daily routine.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Glad no harm done and you’ll be on your toes next time.

I was chatting to a Zenith AD in central London last week who told me there had been a few attempted scooter mugging in the area so to be careful with my rucksack.

Master
    What a horrible and scary thing to happen Mick, it just goes to show we all need to be vigilant, no matter where we are.

Good on your good lady for her quick thinking to save the day!

Master
    That's awful Mick, hope you and the wife are ok.

Sadly thats the world we now live in when even wearing a nice watch is dangerous.

I and others I know, have stopped wearing anything of any significant value due the violent theft of watches being on the rise.

I know the more affluent area in the city I live in has seen a recent rise in aggravated burglaries where households are apparently being targeted for high value watches and jewellery.

I can only see things getting worse as the cost of living crisis starts to bite.

It couldn't happen to me because I no longer own any Rolex watches - Muahahahaaha!

Master
    Hope you are both OK Mick, not a nice thing to happen.
    I was in Leiden last week, on the main pedestrian shopping strip, when a scooter with two youths on board went steaming past, weaving through the people. No evidence that they were up to no good, but it's a fair punt imho.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear this happened Mick
    Glad you are ok.
    It could happen to anyone. There are scrotes everywhere.

Master
    Glad that you are both safe Mick; well done for your wife’s quick reaction with the walking stick.

Journeyman
    I'm very conscious of wearing mine in Central London now, if I'm wearing short sleeves I normally don't bother.

Sent from my SM-A526B using TZ-UK mobile app

As mentioned, Rolex snatching has been around for some time (surprised you haven't been targeted at your clubhouse carpark yet by two eastern European beauties with clipboards wanting a hug).

You are a much easier target than most on here I imagine (despite the older demographic of the typical TZ member) - you're elderly, infirm, with a wife physically dependent on you (albeit she turned out to be the star in this instance). Glad you both came out physically unscathed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Noaksey View Post
    I'm very conscious of wearing mine in Central London now, if I'm wearing short sleeves I normally don't bother.

Sent from my SM-A526B using TZ-UK mobile app
    I’m with you there, only in once a week these days - Rolex or Panerai don’t get worn as too obvious / large for the later.

My Tudor, Omega constellations and damasko seem to fly under the radar so much more & more comfortable losing one as required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad to read no harm was done and your wife’s recovery is going well enough for a little anaerobic workout! We love SJDLT and hard to imagine such a crime there :shock:

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Close shave, Mick. Glad you're both okay, and be careful out there.

Good to hear that you came out of it "all ok" so to speak!
    Maybe the only draw back was your wife didn't hit the twat hard enough!!!

Blog Entries
    Glad you both came out unscathed. There seem to be more and more of these type of incidents reported. As said a lot of us probably look like easy targets because of age etc.

A pair of eastern europeans tried to pickpocket my father once when he was getting on a bus. Luckily he was aware of what was happening and one of them ended up with a very sore wrist before they legged it. No doubt they saw him as an easy target because of his age but he was still pretty fit at the time.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Sorry to hear Mick hope your now both ok

Well done the Mrs outstanding job.

Sad to read Mick - hope you are both ok.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Sorry to hear, hope you are ok!

It's a sad situation with Rolex now, the watches have become so coveted and expensive that it makes wearing them difficult.

I thought Spain was the snatcher capital of Europe, i know several people who were mugged in daylight there and the Police were zero help claiming it was a daily thing happening

How did your wife whack her about the head with a walking stick from the passenger seat? Not easy in that confined space to get any swing to do much harm? She must have caught you a few whacks as well I would have thought?

Anyway, glad no harm was done.

Master
    Thanks to all for the kindly commments.

Like Halitosis said, San Juan is well known for being a town of almost zero crime but I have just found out from a neighbour who has a massive list of contacts that there is a gang targeting Rolex wearers. They are usually based in a town called Mojacar which is about 20 miles down the coast and is full of retirees.

Evidently the girl engages you in a conversation and quickly takes the watch off you and then runs off and tosses the watch into a car driven by a gang member who then drives off into the ether. Over in less than a minute and difficult for the police to prosecute.

If you go out for dinner or lunch around here, which we do about 3 or 4 times a week, you are almost certain to see an old man in a short sleeves wearing a gold Rolex. I once counted 3 in the same restaurant on different tables. I wear mine because it is a SS five series and pretty low key compared to the YG models.

The effects of the attempted theft were a bit weird. We were both calm as cucumbers immediately after the incident, got a bit shook up afterwards when we got home but are now back to normal after watching the Pageant.

Looking forward which is the important thing, we came to two conclusions. My wife was wearing a 31mm YG DJ and the girl did not notice it. A woman on a walking frame is an even easier target than me but gold looking watches on women are fair common, so Sue will continue to wear hers.

I will continue to wear mine except at the markets which is the place that the gangs hang out. They notice the Rolex whilst you are walking around, follow you back to your car and then pounce when you are sat in the car and fairly immobile.

This has certainly made the Jubilee more memorable.

Master
    How many beats per minute did she get?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    How did your wife whack her about the head with a walking stick from the passenger seat? Not easy in that confined space to get any swing to do much harm? She must have caught you a few whacks as well I would have thought?

Anyway, glad no harm was done.
    She held the stick in the mid position and used it like a truncheon.

What I did not mention was that as soon as I lowered the window, the girl opened the door wide which as well as making it easier for her to rip the watch off me, it also made it easier for the wife to hit her.

The girl ran off immediately after the first whack.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    How many beats per minute did she get?
    I like that.

Master
    Glad you’re both ok Mick and this just seems to be happening everywhere in the world and i must admit is on my mind whenever I wear or am going to wear a watch (sad isn’t it ? ) as it’s really taking a lot of the enjoyment out of the hobby .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I thought Spain was the snatcher capital of Europe, i know several people who were mugged in daylight there and the Police were zero help claiming it was a daily thing happening
    Sorry I missed this. Barcelona is the place that gives Spain a bad reputation, watch stealing is a well oiled and organised industry up there ranging from plain street theft to hotel staff tipping off the ones who do the thieving.

Master
    Sorry to hear of this Mick and glad you’re both okay.

Master
    Terrible thing to happen. Glad you and your wife are unharmed.

A frightening episode, the good news is you're both okay. I can imagine it will have changed your mindset somewhat when out and about though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Hope you are both OK Mick, not a nice thing to happen.
    I was in Leiden last week, on the main pedestrian shopping strip, when a scooter with two youths on board went steaming past, weaving through the people. No evidence that they were up to no good, but it's a fair punt imho.

Cool story bro

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Cool story bro
    Cool quote bro

Caveat, if it was 2010

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Cool story bro
    Don't understand your point tbh

Glad you’re both ok, Mick.

Time for a beater perhaps? And I don’t mean your wife!

Master
    This is now a PITA. My friend in the know reckons there is a good chance that the car in the plot may have followed us home, so now it's max security until we return home (EasyJet permitting).

Sorry to hear that Mick and glad you are both okay, the sleepy market towns in Spain frequented by British, Germans, Dutch at this time of year wearing (T shirts/Polos) are hot targets for organised gangs with Rolex the No1 targets.

I'm sorry to say that if you continue to wear a Rolex in these areas then I fear you will lose it and like you say the police are not interested so surely not worth the risk, I bet she or someone tailed you all the way through that market.

Again glad you are both okay but think of your safety first..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The police aren't interested because they can't prosecute unless they witness the crime.
    Good grief, does this include all crimes?

Very well done to your wife!

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    the Police were zero help claiming it was a daily thing happening
    (Sarcasm not directed at you). Well yes, it would be a daily happening, wouldn't it, with that attitude.

Master
    Two words for you Mick. Glock. Nineteen.

Seriously Mick, take care. You'll likely be seen as soft targets and some assailants don't give up as easily. I know that you pride yourself on not worrying about the risks of wearing a high profile watch anywhere and at anytime, but you need to put the physical and mental wellbeing of yourself and your wife first especially whilst she relies on you for assistance.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is now a PITA. My friend in the know reckons there is a good chance that the car in the plot may have followed us home, so now it's max security until we return home (EasyJet permitting).
    What a nightmare. How long you got left? Also is your friend in the know a proper friend or a local you have met?

Master
    I will be honest and admit that I woke up in a cold sweat at 3.00 am thinking about what would have happened if it had been a couple of thugs doing it rather than a girl and her boyfriend. Right now I am in a quandary, do you let a couple of low lifes mess up your life or do I take Mr Curta's point and put my wifes safety above everything.

Right now today I am done with wearing Rolex and just want nothing more to do with it or watches in general. The enthusiasm has evaporated. If anything had happened to my wife the blame would have rested 100% on me and I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

If it happened to me it could happen to you

I will be honest and admit that I woke up in a cold sweat at 3.00 am thinking about what would have happened if it had been a couple of thugs doing it rather than a girl and her boyfriend. Right now I am in a quandary, do you let a couple of low lifes mess up your life or do I take Mr Curta's point and put my wifes safety above everything.

Right now today I am done with wearing Rolex and just want nothing more to do with it or watches in general. The enthusiasm has evaporated. If anything had happened to my wife the blame would have rested 100% on me and I wouldn't be able to live with myself.
    Never sell a Rolex Mick!!

I imagine your having post related shock which will make you think the way you are, there is nothing wrong with owning a Rolex, expensive jewelry or walking around with £1000 in cash, just don’t flaunt it, wear a Seiko when out in Spain so it’s not on your mind and you can enjoy yourself, lots of places on this planet are not safe for expensive goods but doesn’t mean you can’t go there, just be aware and smart about your surroundings..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 6th June 2022 at 09:38.

This morning the wife and I decided it was high time for her to take a walk around the local market as she she slowly recovering from her stroke.

We went down to the local market in San Juan de Los Terreros, spent about 45 buying a few baubles and then made our way back to the car park. We were about to drive off in the car when a young woman tapped on the drivers window which I lowered. She said she was looking for work and did I know anyone who was looking for a cleaner. She suddenly grabbed the Rolex and started to tug it off my wrist and of course I was tugging it back. My wife saved the day by whacking the woman about the head with her walking sticking which must bloody hurt because she ran off.

It certainly made a change from the normal daily routine.

Protect what's most important to you Mick, my advice fwiw. Glad you're both alright albeit shaken, which is entirely natural of course.

Master
    Mick, you know that your welfare and that of your wife is more important than anything else. You’ve just had an awful experience and now the “What if…?” scenarios are now running riot with your peace of mind. Keep the expensive watches and jewellery locked away and replace it all with cheap stuff that won’t attract unwanted attention. That way you can still enjoy the sunshine and lifestyle that you enjoy so much in Spain. We don’t sing from the same hymn sheet when it comes to politics, but I wouldn’t be thinking of politics if I saw you or any other person being targeted in that way. Be cautious but not to the extent it stops you doing the things you enjoy.

Thanks for the heads up Mick. I have a golf trip booked in Spain in October, something cheap and cheerful will be worn, as I know thieves target golfers as well. Pleased you and your wife are ok.

Safety and wellbeing should come first but it needn't impact on your life unduly. I've lived and worked in numerous high crime environments whilst still enjoying collecting and wearing watches, and frequently wore an Omega during our four years in Bogotá although it was always tucked under a sleeve when walking out and about. A very well built colleague was relieved of his limited edition 2254 after work one day which was a bit of a bummer but he did the sensible thing, handed it over, made the police report and got onto the insurance. Fortunately I like a lot of inexpensive vintage Citizens and Seikos so there was always something for the trips to Caracas or out with the kids when it just wasn't worth the risk.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I can't blame you Mick.

If you can't wear a particular watch out and about what is the point of ownership?

Plenty of really nice Seiko's etc around for an everyday wearer.

Very glad you and the Mrs are OK.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Glad you're OK Mick.

Remember, this was one incident in presumably a long history of watch wearing. Sensible precautions are a good thing, but don't let it be blown out of proportion.

There's a whole world of quality, relatively unknown timepieces out there too. Rolex isn't always going to be the ideal option for all scenarios, but that doesn't mean you can't have a great watch on your wrist. Dornbluth seems to be getting a lot of love on the forum for example, but I doubt 99.9% of people would know what they were looking at if they saw one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Really sorry to hear about this Mick, but glad you and Mrs Mick are OK. Good thinking on the walking stick part.

I think if you enjoy your Rolexes, continue to do so at home and around places where you feel comfortable, but stick something more under the radar on for going into town in short sleeves.
    If im in London I wear either an Omega DSOTM or a modded Seiko. Neither of them are attention grabbers.
    Not many thieves know what's what beyond the really obvious Rolex/AP candidates so perhaps start a hunt for a town watch that isnt screaming as a way to rekindle the watch love after a shocking event.

How awful for both you and the wife.

I had my Submariner stolen off my arm in 2017 and fortunately wasn't hurt or injured, but ever since I am always conscious of what I am wearing. I find myself pulling down my sleeve when out and about or using public transport etc.

It has defiantly affected me and I often find it stressful when I have a Rolex or something similar on the wrist and would never wear a Submariner or DJ with flutter bezel or anything too obvious.

Dear Mick,

I’m very sorry to have read that you were attacked and the subject of an attempted robbery. Well done to Mrs. Mick for her quick thinking with her stick to defend you both. It must have been a very unpleasant experience.

I was about to write that I would exercise caution, since you may now be identified as a future target but your friend has already warned you of this possibility. I hope you can remain sanguine in the face of possible worries. Of course both your wife’s and your health and safety must remain your top priority. That means, I would suggest, making sensible changes in what you wear and when, confirming your insurance is up to date and adequate and having solid storage options.

We shouldn’t have to do any of that but we’re prudent and live in the real world.

All the best.

David

Master
    Sorry to hear about this and Im glad you are both ok physically anyway

I never take anything too expensive abroard for such stories and Im very conscious of what im doing and where Im going before wearing mine nowdays, I was in Banus a few weeks ago and lots of people were flouting rolex and s/s shirts many of whom were very much worse for wear and border line sitting ducks for anyone targeting people