closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Waterproof video camera

Master

Waterproof video camera

Im after a cheap(ish) waterproof camera so that my kids and my can video our snorkelling on our upcoming holiday.
    I dont want to fork out GoPro money as it will only be used on holidays that offer decent snorkelling. My kids may not even enjoy snorkelling, so Im after something simple and cheap.
    Any recommendations?

Cheers.

Master
    I know you said no Gopro's but you can pick up the older models (Hero 4 black) for not much money on eBay. Even the older ones are still very good at what they do.

Master
    We have a pretty basic SJCAM with fair results
    IMG_0894 by biglewie, on Flickr

I picked up a DJi Osmo Action quite worth the money , 2nd hand recently. Might be worth a look, they are rather good.

Craftsman
    I've no idea how good they are, but have you thought about an underwater phone case?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Thanks for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I know you said no Gopro's but you can pick up the older models (Hero 4 black) for not much money on eBay. Even the older ones are still very good at what they do.
    Apparently only the Hero5 and above are waterproof and they are more than Id like to pay for something that may only get used once.
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Cheers, Ill check them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    I picked up a DJi Osmo Action quite worth the money , 2nd hand recently. Might be worth a look, they are rather good.
    Ill have a look, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    I've no idea how good they are, but have you thought about an underwater phone case?
    My IPhone 11 is waterproof but I dont want to take a chance on it possibly having been compromised somehow due to a drop or whatever.
    Id rather just get a dedicated camera and keep the phone safe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post

Ive had one of there for a few years now, it was good at the beginning but the battery life now is really poor and the screen is so small as to render it pretty useless.

Master
    Apparently only the Hero5 and above are waterproof and they are more than Id like to pay for something that may only get used once.

You can normally get the Hero 4 with the waterproof case thrown in👍

If you do go the GoPro path, the Hero 2018 is a good bet. It's the exact same hardware as a Hero Black 5, so you just need to update the firmware (5 min job following a YouTube tutorial) to have the exact same camera as a Hero 5 Black with 4k video recording etc. Also 10m waterproof without the need for any housing. I've had one for 4 years now and still use it as our knockabout holiday pool/sea cam with no issues.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post

You can normally get the Hero 4 with the waterproof case thrown in👍
    I didnt realise that, thank you, and thank you for the link below.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    If you do go the GoPro path, the Hero 2018 is a good bet. It's the exact same hardware as a Hero Black 5, so you just need to update the firmware (5 min job following a YouTube tutorial) to have the exact same camera as a Hero 5 Black with 4k video recording etc. Also 10m waterproof without the need for any housing. I've had one for 4 years now and still use it as our knockabout holiday pool/sea cam with no issues.
    Forgive my ignorance but is it called a hero 2018 or just to look for one made in 2018?
    Cheers.

In similar circumstances, I bought a Crosstour something or other (they have lots of models, I think it was this one )

It was cheap and my expectations were low, but it has survived many beach holidays since, and even takes perfectly okay stills:

(unedited)

It came with about 20 different mounts, waterproof case (and spare case back), a remote control, and two batteries. It can download to my phone over inbuilt wifi. I have no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but is it called a hero 2018 or just to look for one made in 2018?
    Cheers.
    It's called a Gopro Hero officially, but was released in 2018 and pretty much is referred to as the Hero 2018 everywhere (less confusing). But it is it's own model, rather than a manufacture year of another model. Gopro effectively did this to offer a budget version of the Hero 5 Black, but to keep costs down it's actually an identical unit just with different software installed.

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/gopr...ro-2018-review

I'd echo the comments on the Hero 4.

I've had one for years and it takes great underwater video with the standard waterproof housing (the ones on eBay are fine and cheap as chips).

I regularly use mine down to 40M, so it'll be fine for snorkeling.

Video resolution is perfect for watching on a TV.

You'll also have no problem reselling a GoPro.

IMO, don't waste your money on a new 'high-spec' cheap option.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?