closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega 300 sm

Omega 300 sm

Anybody got any idea how much an Omega 300 SM from 1970's would be worth. Probably a Watchco model built from NOS.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    On Chrono24 there are Watchco type assembled 165.024 at 5k. Personally believe that pricing is well over, probably twice of what is more appropriate. It is a franken with Omega parts after all, poor value for collectors.

The only part from the 1960’s is the movement, the rest is from March 2003.
    Last edited by Franco; 4th June 2022 at 06:30.

As an original Omega is way out of my price range, I've oft looked at the Watcho version of the SM300 but the prices they go for have caused me to leave my hands firmly in my pockets. Eventually, a Helson was listed here on SC and I bought that for a much more modest sum.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Decently built Watchcos (including those built by other parties) seem to fetch from £2,500-3K these days. You could buy one or build one new back in the day (5-10 yrs ago) for less than £2K but there are next to none being made now that parts sales are embargoed. The problem is it is hard to identify which are decently built and there are fake parts out there which superficially resemble the real thing so it is a bit of a minefield. Also these all use a 50+ year old movement so you can have issues there if the servicing has been skimped on. This might seem obvious since it applies to all vintage watches but people overlook it since the bits you can see look brand new and the ugliness can be hidden within.

Be aware they are not actually identical to the SM300s made in the 60s and early 70s since the parts have changed over the years, the lume is always Superluminova for instance on the put togethers.

Personally I avoid them for these reasons, but I get the appeal of the styling. That said the real deal also suffer the same drawbacks since fake parts are prevalent there too, there the asking prices there are double so its even more important to be careful.
    Last edited by Padders; 4th June 2022 at 10:46.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    Anybody got any idea how much an Omega 300 SM from 1970's would be worth. Probably a Watchco model built from NOS.

Thanks
    The Watchco models are a bit of a minefield in terms of provenance, and these days are not that cheap. Recent on Omega Forums saw well over £3k. Cheaper than a true vintage, but not massively cheaper. I think they fall in an uncomfortable no-man’s land, much more expensive than similar homage, and not much cheaper than vintage.

Maybe try a WTB, here and Omega Forums?

Master
    I always ask myself, are they really worth nearly a grand more than a tidy 2254.50? Generally the answer comes back no.

I snagged an utter bargain, totally original SM300 from SC a year ago for less than 5k
    I would think a Watchco would be in the region of 3-3.5k, although I would not pay that for one. As said, they are expensive for what is essentially a homage made from spare parts.

Put up a WTB for a PRS-14?
    Last edited by hogthrob; 4th June 2022 at 11:10.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I always ask myself, are they really worth nearly a grand more than a tidy 2254.50? Generally the answer comes back no.
    Agree 100%, and I built a couple a few years ago!

The movements can be expensive to sort out too, no matter how good the watch looks there’s always the possibility that the movement needs work.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Couldn't agree more.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052