closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Longines Ultra-Chron

Craftsman

New Longines Ultra-Chron

Something new from the Longines.
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/lo...t-revival-2022
    Personally like it on bracelet. May consider in the future.

That's interesting.

Watch firms are definitely looking back nowadays. Not surprising as that was the age of stylish watches.

I had one back in the day the same as this...

Cheers,
    Neil.

I can't remember the last time longines released something I didn't like, this included.

Master
    I'd preferred it possibly a couple of mil' smaller, but very nice.

Like it a lot.

That's nice.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Longines are probably my favourite brand at the moment and this is another excellent release. Only criticism with the brand is that most stuff is a couple of mm too large but I guess that is the modern trend.

That's a beauty, and to think it's just an old design that they have been hiding away for years.

Lovely looking thing that.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Love it, Longines have been doing really well with their heritage collection and this is another beauty that is right up my street.

They still have so many designs to revisit from their back catalogue too.

Master
    Looks lovely… Longines seem to hitting it out the park over the past 5-10yrs.

Absolutely stunning: "I believe the new Ultra-Chron Diver, which starts at $3,500, is now the least expensive new high-beat mechanical watch available today, undercutting Grand Seiko's own line of three-handed Hi-Beat watches that start around the $6,000 mark. "

I love the bezel, it’s a good looking watch.

I really like it but wise they kept it at the original size of 41mm and not increased it to 43mm.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Prices are really creeping up for the basic Swatch group three handers.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Master
    Very nice. Looking forward to seeing one IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    That was my thoughts too. Plus I can't find a pic of the movement, probably not a looker.....

Journeyman
    Wow.

As a high beat fanboy that is going straight on the list!

Absolutely beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    That was my thoughts too. Plus I can't find a pic of the movement, probably not a looker.....
    Additional Details:*Longines-exclusive movement; silicon balance spring; architecture is based on ETA C07.811/2824-2

It's a lovely watch and I have a thing for Longines but £3000.00 is too much.
    Basically an ETA2824 tarted up.
    Think I'll wait a year and see what the prices are on the used market.

Sent from a technical device.

Journeyman
    Longines are producing some interesting watches recently. Strong line up in their range if a little pricey (without discount). Have they had some price increases recently or am I miles out of date?

They had a price increase in January or February but no more than any other retailer.

I only know because I bought the HydroConquest chronograph just before the price increase.
    I didn't pay full retail price tho, it fairly easy to get 15 to 20% although not on new models.

Quote Originally Posted by AP1 View Post
    Longines are producing some interesting watches recently. Strong line up in their range if a little pricey (without discount). Have they had some price increases recently or am I miles out of date?
    There has been a bit of price creep over the last couple of years. Whereas once most of the catalogue was sub-£2k, RRP on new stuff is squarely in the £2-3k price range now. The good thing is, it's not difficult to get 20% discount even on the new stuff if you steer clear if the boutiques.

Longines are definitely my favourite brand these days. They seem to have nailed the "reissue" market.

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    it fairly easy to get 15 to 20% although not on new models.
    I'd say you can achieve that on new models too. I was recently offered 20% off a Zulu Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'd say you can achieve that on new models too. I was recently offered 20% off a Zulu Time.
    It was just an assumption but if you can get 20% off new then I guess the price isn't so bad

On reflection, I really like it but the price and if only it was a little smaller.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    On reflection, I really like it but the price and if only it was a little smaller.
    Looks like it wears smaller than 43mm would suggest due to case shape, lug to lug is well below 50mm and looking at the watch advisor video on it, seems to wear well on smaller wrists (the hosts wrist size is fairly small at 6.5 and wears well).

It is a tad thick though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Soom View Post
    Something new from the Longines.
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/lo...t-revival-2022
    Personally like it on bracelet. May consider in the future.
    36,000 vph is 10Hz, not 5Hz isn’t it?

THIN is the new BLACK

Blog Entries
    That's very intriguing. I wasn't aware that horological "VPH" or "beats per hour" was actually measuring half waves, not the full frequency.

Indeed, if VPH really does measure half waves then the statement from the above page, "The frequency at which the balance wheel and spring oscillate to and fro (back and forth)" is incorrect! They have misused the word "frequency".

The word "frequency" is defined as measurement of the time taken to get from one point to the next like point on a wave or repeating phenomenon. According to the numerical examples given, VPH instead has units of frequency multiplied by 2.

It would seem from the above that VPH measures each movement of the balance wheel as one unit. So when the balance wheel swings from one limit to the other that is one 'vibration' and then when it swings the other way that is another 'vibration'.

However, in physics and mechanics terms the frequency of movement of the balance wheel is actually the time it takes to complete the entirety of those two swings, as both swings are needed to return the wheel to its starting position (i.e. like point).

P.S. I did some more Googling and this article from Hodinkee confirms that VPH or BPH is measured in units of frequency × 2 and further explains what I described above.
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/wa...hz-vph-meaning
    If a mechanical watch ticks at 4 Hz or 28,800 vph/bph, that means the balance wheel is operating at four oscillations per second; a single oscillation translates to a total of two vibrations/beats per second. In other words, a vibration is counted when the balance moves in a single direction (tick), and an oscillation is counted once it's moved and returned to its original position (tick, tock) – similar to a pendulum. Four oscillations per second equals eight vibrations/beats in the same period.
    For the avoidance of doubt, "oscillations per second" is frequency and the quote confirms that a "a single oscillation translates to a total of two vibrations/beats", i.e. that VPH is frequency × 2 (or frequency is VPH ÷ 2).

This further confirms that the usage of the word "frequency" in the professionalwatches.com definition is incorrect and misleading (despite the rest of the text being correct).
    Last edited by markrlondon; 6th June 2022 at 16:38.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    That's very intriguing. I wasn't aware that horological "VPH" or "beats per hour" was actually measuring half waves, not the full frequency.

Indeed, if VPH really does measure half waves then the statement from the above page, "The frequency at which the balance wheel and spring oscillate to and fro (back and forth)" is incorrect! They have misused the word "frequency".

The word "frequency" is defined as measurement of the time taken to get from one point to the next like point on a wave or repeating phenomenon. According to the numerical examples given, VPH instead has units of frequency multiplied by 2.

It would seem from the above that VPH measures each movement of the balance wheel as one unit. So when the balance wheel swings from one limit to the other that is one 'vibration' and then when it swings the other way that is another 'vibration'.

However, in physics and mechanics terms the frequency of movement of the balance wheel is actually the time it takes to complete the entirety of those two swings, as both swings are needed to return the wheel to its starting position (i.e. like point).

P.S. I did some more Googling and this article from Hodinkee confirms that VPH or BPH is measured in units of frequency × 2 and further explains what I described above.
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/wa...hz-vph-meaning

For the avoidance of doubt, "oscillations per second" is frequency and the quote confirm that a "a single oscillation translates to a total of two vibrations/beats".

This further confirms that the usage of the word "frequency" in the professionalwatches.com definition is incorrect and misleading (despite the rest of the text being correct).
    So 36,000 does tick 10 times per second then....or tick tock at least?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Yes, 36000 vph equals 10 ticks per second, so a frequency of movement of the balance wheel of 5 Hz.

The watch gets two ticks per Hertz (or one tick-tock sequence per Hertz).
    Last edited by markrlondon; 4th June 2022 at 17:42.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Hence the el Primero can run a 10sec chrono around the watch face (360 deg) if my calcs are right
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Hence the el Primero can run a 10sec chrono around the watch face (360 deg) if my calcs are right
    Yes, I’ve got a Zenith which does just that

Apprentice
    I rarely buy new but this new release from longines has me intrigued enough to go see one in the flesh.

Sent from my RMX3085 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by r.dawson View Post
    I can't remember the last time longines released something I didn't like, this included.
    Have to agree, recently got a bigeye!
    What a wonderful watch!

Apprentice
    Another longines watch after spirit titanium I like a lot:)

Anyone tried this on? Would be nice to see real life pics.

Master
    I tried one on last summer and liked it. No pictures I am afraid. It did feel quite a heavy piece on the bracelet. The price feels a bit high for the brand. But you can get it for around £2700 ish from Swisswatches Direct

I did a few weeks back. Hadn't seen this thread or the announcement about the watch. It just caught my eye in an AD and I wasn't disappointed with it on the wrist.
    Call it snobbishness but I'm not sure I can justify that sort of cash on a Longines (>£3k) and I'd be interested to see the bracelet which the AD didn't have.
    It's a gorgeous thing though - for a hefty discount I'd be really keen.

I can never get videos to post but click this link and there's a little wrist-roll with it on.
    https://imgur.com/MJeFrE7

^Looks ace. Would like to try it on - similarly think they put a hefty pricetag on it.

I thought Longines were supposed to replace Omega while Omega was busy chasing Rolex?

If people are happy to pay 5-6K starting price for Omega why not 3K for a Longines?

Craftsman
    It looks really nice but at that price point I don't know, there are quite a few options. The Oris Skindiver with the new inhouse movement, a Nomos, something from Union Glashütte, the new Hanhart flyback chrono, this here https://www.shop.horage.com/product-...n?currency=EUR and tons of other stuff that's interesting.

Nice watch. Tried on the new Czech pilots watch that longines have brought out recently and it was lovely. The prices are getting a bit high though now. Wish I had bought the bigeye chrono in the sales about 2 years ago for £1100....

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk