closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Book, fiction, involving Cadair Idris, magic, black carrier bags - can you name it?

Blog Entries

Book, fiction, involving Cadair Idris, magic, black carrier bags - can you name it?

When I was (I think) a teenager or young adult I read a fantasy fiction book. It was if I remember correctly intended for teenagers. I forget the exact story but I seem to recall it was set in modern times, included the mountain Cadair Idris and the area surrounding it, but involved a magical landscape and possibly magical characters that were hidden to the casual observer. I also seem to remember that there was some kind of involvement of what seemed to be a black carrier bag (or similar, don't recall exactly) that was a magical device of some sort.

It would have been published 30-40 years or more ago, possibly before. It wasn't necessarily new when I read it.

Can anyone identify the book? If you know it you'll know it, I suspect. I can't remember what it was called which is annoying me.

P.S. Yes, I've googled "books involving Cadair Idris" and similar but not found anything. ;-)
    Last edited by markrlondon; 31st May 2022 at 23:26.

Blog Entries
    I should have read the Cadair Idris Wikipedia article more carefully. I think that the book I am thinking of is 'The Grey King' by Susan Cooper, published in 1975.

I'll need to read again it to be certain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I should have read the Cadair Idris Wikipedia article more carefully. I think that the book I am thinking of is 'The Grey King' by Susan Cooper, published in 1975.

I'll need to read again it to be certain.
    It sounds like The Grey King, but it must be 30 years since I read it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    It sounds like The Grey King, but it must be 30 years since I read it.
    Thanks. I'll report back if and when I re-read it. :-)

Master
    I did re-read Cooper's The Dark is Rising in 2011 and enjoyed it.

Books in this genre from the sixties and seventies I have enjoyed in the past include 'The Weirdstone of Brisingamen' by Alan Garner, and 'The Giant Under The Snow', by John Gordon. Both excellent books.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Books in this genre from the sixties and seventies I have enjoyed in the past include 'The Weirdstone of Brisingamen' by Alan Garner, and 'The Giant Under The Snow', by John Gordon. Both excellent books.
    Thanks, I'll look these up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Weirdstone... is fantastic, one of my favourite books, even now. There are two sequels. The first is similar but not as good. The third book, Boneland, was written 52 years later and is a very different book by a mature and literary author. it is also worth a read, but is definitely not children's' fiction. The Giant Under The Snow sounds like something that would interest me.