closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Top Gun Maverick : Porsche Design Chronograph 1

Master

Top Gun Maverick : Porsche Design Chronograph 1

Went to see Top Gun Maverick last night - absolutely AWESOME film!

I was very pleased to see that he was wearing a Porsche Design Chronograph 1, the same as the one in the first movie.

I don't know if it's true, but I have read that it WAS the actual one from the original film. Apparently producer Jerry Bruckheimer pinched it as a souvenir from the original movie and loaned it back to Tom Cruise for filming the sequel.

I believe this is correct. There are a few shots in the first movie where you see Mav wearing a Sub. These were later reshot scenes with Cruise wearing his own watch. The scene in the lift was one of these. Cruise’s hair is longer and Kelly McGillis wears a baseball cap to cover up the darker hair she then had for another role.

For us watch fans TG2 is a target rich environment - plenty of IWC models on wrists and a Rolex Explorer/Air King on Jennifer Connelly.

Master
    Not to mention an IWC stopwatch! :)

The watch in the original film had a lot of black coating loss, the watch in the new film looked pristine. If it’s the same watch, I think it has been recoated.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Went to see it yesterday at the IMax. Fantastic. Maybe even better than the original which I remember so well as a teen.

There is a scan on MWR clearly showing it is a 7750 version in Maverick. The original TG watch was a 5100, and the PVD was very worn on it. In Maverick, the black of the watch is pristine.
    It is not the same watch. No chance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    There is a scan on MWR clearly showing it is a 7750 version in Maverick. The original TG watch was a 5100, and the PVD was very worn on it. In Maverick, the black of the watch is pristine.
    That's a shame. Ah well, it was a good tale.

Makes me wonder how many celeb/film watches end up in public ownership, perhaps many unknown to the owners?

There is a Speedmaster out there somewhere that belonged to Buzz Aldrin and was the first Speedy on the moon as I think Armstrong left his hanging in the lander as the internal clock was broke, apparently lost in the post when returning it (or maybe kept locked away in Buzz's safe?)

Last edited by murkeywaters; 1st June 2022 at 10:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Went to see it yesterday at the IMax. Fantastic. Maybe even better than the original which I remember so well as a teen.

Cool Watch!

Master
    My Orfina PD 7176s chrono (civilian version) is currently undergoing a total rebuild following extensive water damage, but I also have a 7177 (military version) so looking forward to having the pair. Years ago I did have one of the 7750 chronos but foolishly let it go. The 7750 was the original PD chrono and the combination of being older and having a less robust PVD coating means that most examples are fairly scruffy. I’d like to get another but would likely end up spending a small fortune to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post

Love it! It’s like you’ve dressed by the best person who ever wore the watch on a film. Lewis Collins I’m Who Dares Wins!

Top Gun Maverick : Porsche Design Chronograph 1

I was listening to the radio last night and Jeff Goldblum was being interviewed. He was asked if he got involved in any of the design of his character in the latest Jurassic park and said he’d designed the watch as a scientists choice. A black coated Milgauss with his characters initials IM for Ian Malcolm on the dial which he’d kept and ‘will pass onto my sons, who might keep it or put it in the trash’!
    I wonder if that was a Bamford job or a a Rolex one-off like the Ben Ainsley submariner??

Last edited by RobDad; 2nd June 2022 at 10:12.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Perhaps in Maverick, it is one of the new PD reissues?

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    My Orfina PD 7176s chrono (civilian version) is currently undergoing a total rebuild following extensive water damage, but I also have a 7177 (military version) so looking forward to having the pair. Years ago I did have one of the 7750 chronos but foolishly let it go. The 7750 was the original PD chrono and the combination of being older and having a less robust PVD coating means that most examples are fairly scruffy. I’d like to get another but would likely end up spending a small fortune to get it right.
    May I ask who is undertaking the rebuild? My 7178 in the pic is running spot on, but it's good to know who might be able to service the 5100 movement if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by zodiac View Post
    Love it! It’s like you’ve dressed by the best person who ever wore the watch on a film. Lewis Collins I’m Who Dares Wins!
    Belstaff have made a good business out of the Bodie & Doyle look lol!

Master
    IWC were prominent esp the close up of the stopwatch. Looked to be a number of black IWC pilot watches. Jennifer Connelly had Rolex on her left wrist in the bar scene and later it was on her right wrist. Guess which side the camera was shooting from? Nice bit of stealth publicity. Cruise has a ss Rolex in his BBC interview. His own P51 Mustang. Where did I go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Makes me wonder how many celeb/film watches end up in public ownership, perhaps many unknown to the owners?

There is a Speedmaster out there somewhere that belonged to Buzz Aldrin and was the first Speedy on the moon as I think Armstrong left his hanging in the lander as the internal clock was broke, apparently lost in the post when returning it (or maybe kept locked away in Buzz's safe?)

Was that the one lost to/from the Science Museum? I knew someone that worked there in the 70’a &80’s and the stories he told me of lax storage and laxer security regarding items not on display make me think it likely got sold for £20 in a Kensington pub!

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Was that the one lost to/from the Science Museum? I knew someone that worked there in the 70’a &80’s and the stories he told me of lax storage and laxer security regarding items not on display make me think it likely got sold for £20 in a Kensington pub!
    That’s interesting, could well be an old Speedy just chucked in a drawer or on a car boot table somewhere with a sprinkling of moon dust behind the pushers..

My 7176s has held up pretty well PVD wise, still on original crown and bracelet and currently being regulated
    Has great feel and patina I bought it off the original purchaser who got in in Germany whilst in the Army
    I’m not sure I’d want one mint unless nos