closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone do/done CrossFit?

Anyone do/done CrossFit?

After a few weeks out of the gym and my trainer now selling up I’m doing a taster session of CrossFit tonight. Just wondered if anyone does or has done it and what to expect?

Master
    I've done a fair bit of it in the past.

Expect hard work, cool people and loads of fun.

I used to do it when I was travelling around the UK with work. Would drop into the local box and get a session in.

Was better than having a workout in the normally rubbish hotel gyms.

Craftsman
    I’ve been doing CrossFit for past 5 years. Classes are split between mobility, strength work e.g deadlifts, Squats, Bench and then a WOD (workout of the day) which is a high intensity short metabolic workout comprising of strength movements and cardio. Classes are fun and each class is different. You will find that CrossFit gyms are more expensive than commercial gyms, usually around the £100 p/m mark. However you can’t really compare the two. With commercial gyms you go in and do your own thing. With CrossFit you book onto classes and you get group coaching/programming. There’s also fewer members so you get to know most people and so there’s a social/community aspect to it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, did it in the past.

Don't be put off by some of the 'beasts' throwing obscene amounts of weight around or the gymnastics. They'll have been doing it a while.

A good 'box' will have you scaling any movement to your capability. Never be afraid to scale!

You'll be working out in a great environment, with great people, and you'll end up with more shoes than you can reasonably expect

In November 2017 I weighed 126kg and badly needed to loose weight, but previous gym memberships had all gone the same way i.e. I was enthusiastic for the first 2-3 weeks, then boredom quickly set in resulting in my making excuses not to go. I joined the local CrossFit gym not knowing what to expect, and five and a half years later I go 5 days a week every week, and weight 88kgs.

CrossFit is a mix of gymnastics, olympic weightlifting and more general cardio based movements. There are pros and cons of course, but for me the single most important aspect is that workouts are done with other people (self-moticvation when exercising was always an issue for me), which creates a community aspect that is certainly lacking in standard gyms. Every day there is a prescribed "workout of the day", and there is huge variety in the workouts (something else that I've found important). The combination of these two factors has meant I'm still motivated to go in every weekday - and I actually miss it if I can't go for any reason.

All workouts can be scaled back depending on ability and fitness, so you'll be working out with people of very different abilities. Scaling back is something that is to be encouraged and nothing to be ashamed of, everyone does it. When I first joined I was unable to do most of the standard movements, but everything was scaled back to manageable movements / weights for my ability at the time, and people were very supportive (everyone starts somewhere).

Today's workout at CrossFit North Devon was a "recovery" workout after a long and heavy workout on Saturday - "recovery" in that is was intended to be done at 80% effort, a combination of rowing (Concept 2), situps and double unders (skipping). There were about 12 people in the 10am class - I was the oldest at 56 (the youngest was 26).

Good luck

Master
    I attended workshops with Crossfit London in 2006 and visited Crossfit Manhattan in 2007. Lots of fun and got a good introduction to kettlebells. Ultimately wasn't for me, but did some version of the WOD by myself for a few years. People usually stay for the community and variety. Definitely give it a go.

Thanks for the tips all. The exercise itself doesn’t scare me, I’ve done lots of HIIT (Tommy Coyle the boxer has a program up here (TC60) that I did for a period of time ) and I’ve been doing a lot of lifting of late and put some muscle mass on.

I was more concerned about the skills required and whether it could be a little cliquey but it sounds like there’s no issue there.

Thanks again.

I like the sound of CrossFit, but just checked our local CrossFit gym, prices start at £145!!!

I do Be Military Fit and pay £45 a month!

Journeyman
    I did a few sessions in one of the London gyms but the instructor couldn't demo a few of the movements as "these workouts have knackered my shoulder"

The theme of that particular gym seemed to be quantity over quality and I haven't been back

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

So I did the taster last night and it was a good session. I’ve signed up for a 3 month contract at £70 per month after which time it can be broken with only a months notice. This gives me time to decide if it’s really for me.

Interesting pint on technique as I’ve been at a gym where it’s small class sizes of no more than ten people and there’s a coach there working on technique constantly, hence I’ve learned to squat, press, deadlift etc with the correct technique hammered into me. Will be interested to see how the lifting compares at CrossFit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    So I did the taster last night and it was a good session. I’ve signed up for a 3 month contract at £70 per month after which time it can be broken with only a months notice. This gives me time to decide if it’s really for me.

Interesting pint on technique as I’ve been at a gym where it’s small class sizes of no more than ten people and there’s a coach there working on technique constantly, hence I’ve learned to squat, press, deadlift etc with the correct technique hammered into me. Will be interested to see how the lifting compares at CrossFit.
    Great to hear,
    Where are you based?

I've been dabbling in CrossFit a while & been a trainer for coming up to 7yrs.
    The good & the bad of CrossFit is around the people, the coaches, the other members etc... all CrossFit gyms are not the same.

I've also coached Gymnastics for 25yrs, so more than happy to help with the skills stuff if you'd like?

Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    Great to hear,
    Where are you based?

I've been dabbling in CrossFit a while & been a trainer for coming up to 7yrs.
    The good & the bad of CrossFit is around the people, the coaches, the other members etc... all CrossFit gyms are not the same.

I've also coached Gymnastics for 25yrs, so more than happy to help with the skills stuff if you'd like?
    Thanks for the offer, I’m in East Yorkshire so a bit away. Interestingly I signed up for a class tonight (hero WOD which looked brutal) but got a message 30 mins before that they wanted me to do an induction so I guess there are checks and balances to ensure you can do the moves etc. would definitely welcome tips and advice, we were doing toes to bar last night in the taster. Coming from a more gym background I said “sure I can do that”, and I could, in the strict sense. Not in the CrossFit sense which was a whole new movement to learn and involved bringing your arms back to a 45 degree ish angle and then flicking the toes to the bar to engage your lats and stomach. Every day’s a school day and I had to make do with knees raised rather than toes as I just couldn’t get my brain to do the two together.

I’ll keep this thread updated as and when I’ve had the induction course/class.
    Last edited by tiny73; 1st June 2022 at 07:20.

I do crossfit every day. Cross my fingers and hope my clothes fit.

I did a month of CrossFit as part of a deal. Really enjoyed it especially the Olympic lifts. Would've continued it if it wasn't so expensive.

I understand that the franchise fees cost a lot and a number of gyms left after the founder made some comments they didn't agree with a few years back.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk