closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Superyacht Fire and Sinking

Master

Superyacht Fire and Sinking

That's one way to turn it back into cash! Or am I just being cynical?

Lots of ways a fire can start by accident- one of the prime sources is the refuelling of tenders with petrol outboards.

But, underwriters ain't fools - that's for sure.

Blog Entries
    Valuable it may have been on most people's scale of values but it certainly wasn't a superyacht.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Valuable it may have been on most people's scale of values but it certainly wasn't a superyacht.
    Certainly? At 85ft it fits this definition: -

Although there is no true definition, a superyacht is considered to be a yacht that is at least 78-feet or 24-meters.
    https://www.worthavenueyachts.com/05...%2024%2Dmeters.

Blog Entries
    <shrug> Well, that's a definition. Others may apply. ;-)

I'd say that that sort of size is rather small for what I would recognise as a superyacht and being worth only £9M is a bit underwhelming on the superyacht scale of values, to my mind.

It's a moot point. I can't afford it. But I know that if I did own it (well, had owned it) then I wouldn't have dared call it a superyacht.

I was involved in a case of a 63 foot Ferretti that caught fire in Puerta Banus some years ago. It was brand new. Investigation proved some electrical fault to the oven. Everything is bespoke on these yachts and could be any number of legitimate causes of the fire.

Owner sold the wreck and insurance on and promptly bought and 81 footer.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'd say that that sort of size is rather small for what I would recognise as a superyacht and being worth only £9M is a bit underwhelming on the superyacht scale of values, to my mind.

It's a moot point. I can't afford it. But I know that if I did own it (well, had owned it) then I wouldn't have dared call it a superyacht.
    The big ones are megayachts...

That LOA is the recognised threshold for 'superyacht'.

Master

Reminded me of this account of a yacht fire. It’s a good recounting of what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post

Reminded me of this account of a yacht fire. It’s a good recounting of what happened.
    Tristan Mortlock - Stopped watching his channel when he tried to give a sobering account of the superyacht fatal accident resulting in the death of the Chief Engineer- He just read woodenly from the report, and handed off for more technical detail to 'eSysman' - who really is a bluffer, and should stick to superyacht gossip. Then - the son of the Chief Engineer demanded that the vlog be altered, as he had not been consulted on the content about his father. Such is the rush to get a 'scoop'.

You are far better seeking out the official reports and reading them yourself. Don't rely upon a youtube vlogger who's main driving force is to get the vlog out first................

Master

My lad skippers in the BVI. At Spring Bank / Easter of this year there was a coming together of some Superyachts , Bezos, Larry Page ( owns an island about 100 miles away) etc. My lad reckoned there was well over a billion dollars US in one bay alone.

His charter guests for that week thought they were multi millionaires rubbing shoulders with such majestic boats.

There are some nice photos on the net comparing Millionaires boats with Billionaires, the difference is more than a few feet….

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    There are some nice photos on the net comparing Millionaires boats with Billionaires, the difference is more than a few feet….
    This is rather my thought.

Millionaires are ten a penny now. ;-)

This is rather my thought.

Millionaires are ten a penny now. ;-)
    It still is a superyacht, just not a mega one.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.