closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Champions league final

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Yes I read that too and it makes thing's very interesting, unless you're one who dismisses what AR says by virtue of him being a Liverpool player.
    Ah yes, of course, although he plays in a red shirt, and although Scottish, he must clearly be a scally, eh lah....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    But it is never their fault.
    Don’t you know Liverpool are always the victims.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Don’t underestimate how hated ANY ENGLISH CLUBS FANS are in Europe. They are regarded as the scum of the earth irrespective of club colours and are deemed fair game for robust treatment by officialdom and Uncle Tom cobbly and all.

I was on on holiday in Majorca in 1982, yes 40 years ago when Brighton were playing a friendly against Real Mallorca. I went along to see the game with a group of English lads, who on the holiday were decent ‘normal’ guys. Pre game saw a completely turn about face. They became animals looking for anything that moved to be abusive towards and scream at with threats of all sorts being made. Blood was their desire and they wouldn’t back down to anyone, even parents shielding their children from the bile and hate.

Eventually we were chased by fans, locals and anyone who’d had enough of the bile they spewed. Cornered by Police we lined up to be dealt with. I can speak Spanish and when addressed by the police, who were fuelled by the locals demand to sort the English fans out, I explained who I was, where I was from and why I was at the game. The police let me go as I wasn’t English and they only wanted them for all they had done to the locals in Majorca pre-game. They asked why I had even associated with them as they felt Scottish fans were a different breed (that’s a wrong assumption) from the English who the Police felt simply want to fight and cause carnage, abusing everyone and everything.

It was not pretty that night.

So from 40 years and beyond, has the European opinion of English fans changed or had cause to? I’ll leave it there.

It wouldn’t have mattered if last night had been City, Chelsea or Wycombe Wanderers, the French police would have seen it as game on, just as they do in Italy, Germany, Spain, Poland or wherever an English club visits and leaves a trail. English fans are simply hated, everywhere.

Jim
    It got that way due to Liverpool fans in the 70s and 80s after all it was them that denied Everton there chance in the European Cup

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    In Madrid. So maybe not the fans who travel…
    There are idiots everywhere.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman
    If that footage was from Liverpool and not Madrid there would have been absolute outrage on this thread.
    Last edited by SlipperySam; 29th May 2022 at 20:18.

If that footage was from Liverpool and not Madrid there would have absolute outrage on this thread.
    Turn it any way you want.

Meanwhile, whilst a carry on in Madrid, and several hours after disappointment in Paris, somewhere on Merseyside...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/61622714

Master
     imagine “parading” the carabao cup, well done Liverpool, I love it

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    Mind you, City had such a great season that Pep took them to within 15 minutes of winning nothing all season....

3 finals and 2 trophies is what a 66% successful rate, or 50% win rate from 4 competitions entered.
    Man City a 25% rate....
    That’s some mental maths right there .
    There’s not a Liverpool fan alive who wouldn’t swap those two trophies for that 25%.

Bear in mind that , according to Liverpool fans everywhere , that they had ……….
    The best goalkeeper
    The best Centre half in the world along with the two best fullbacks in football. They even had the best back up left back in world football.
    The worlds best midfielder in Thiago alongside the worlds best defensive midfielder in Fabhino.
    The quartet of strikers are without comparison anywhere.
    Footballs greatest ever manager is also at Anfield.
    Coming second to a team with no No9 all season and three quarters of the defence out for the last four weeks of the campaign isn’t all that impressive really, is it ?

The less said about last night the better, don’t you think ?

Journeyman
    A friend of mine whose sister died at Hillsborough still blames the 'hooligan' Liverpool fans for her loss.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    It got that way due to Liverpool fans in the 70s and 80s after all it was them that denied Everton there chance in the European Cup
    It might well be and that’s tragic. English clubs, in my opinion, play the best football over a long season by a country mile over all their leagues, theirs is a game worth watching and is full of class and skill. (Don’t get me started on how bad it is up here!! We fantasise about the beautiful game in Scotland!)

English club football has everything you could want in the game.

It’s their fans that ruin it, for everyone. Seeing foreign towns folk, especially young and old women, verbally abused and denigrated, continually, days before the match, understandably brings out the local men folk to protect them and stand up for what they see as right, and it is disgusting and shocking. It doesn’t matter the team. They all do it and in large numbers. The English football fans have ruined, and will continue to do so cos they can, any enjoyment neutrals or opposition fans can have when they come to town. It’s their culture and has been for many, many years. And the sense of self righteousness, arrogance and ‘everyone’s wrong apart from English Bert, Bob or Tom’, is everywhere, all the time.

I don’t offer a solution as there are greater people than I who will postulate, but it won’t change. It never will as there’s no desire or need to fix it. In old speak: Today’s newspapers are tomorrows fish n chip wrappers and that’s where the once again shock, horror, tut tuts will be in a weeks time.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    There’s not a Liverpool fan alive who wouldn’t swap those two trophies for that 25%.

The best goalkeeper
    The best Centre half in the world along with the two best fullbacks in football. They even had the best back up left back in world football.
    The worlds best midfielder in Thiago alongside the worlds best defensive midfielder in Fabhino.
    Coming second to a team with no No9 all season and three quarters of the defence out for the last four weeks of the campaign isn’t all that impressive really, is it ?

Too much too digest there. simple facts and figure, different gravy.

Anyway, see you in the charity shield. The quintet could be on...

Craftsman
    Are you an Evertonian? I am and used to go all of the games in the 80’s. At the time quite a few English clubs had a terrible reputation for hooliganism. I saw some shocking antics from Everton fans in my teenage years going to the game.

I don’t recall Liverpool being seen as one of the main culprits until Heysel happened. Hillsborough* followed and that was it. Every div with half a brain (including a fair few Evertonians) acts like Liverpool are the only club who have caused any trouble at matches and the supporters of their clubs are all saints.

(*Not suggesting Hillsborough involved hooliganism as it didn’t but it doesn’t stop some rival supporters suggesting it did.)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Z1R View Post
    A friend of mine whose sister died at Hillsborough still blames the 'hooligan' Liverpool fans for her loss.
    What a strange story, what did hooligans have to do with hillsborough ?

A classic made up story it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quite right

Craftsman
    What was her name?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    What a strange story, what did hooligans have to do with hillsborough ?

A classic made up story it seems.

His words and not mine. She was there with her boyfriend and sadly died. Her brother is entitled to his views and he blames the Liverpool fans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26911550

The best goalkeeper

Let's just listen to the kack that you spout and hold that as gospel then eh ? GTF, bellend

Master
    His words and not mine. She was there with her boyfriend and sadly died. Her brother is entitled to his views and he blames the Liverpool fans.

Complete nonsense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Absolutely, the most notable I remember was when Scottish striker Gordon (Judas) Dury returned to Stamford Bridge after his summer move because he said he was homesick and missed the North so much he went to Spurs.
    The moment he received the ball after kick off the booing was deafening and remained constant until he was substituted at half time. I’ve never seen a player look so shocked at the reaction of the crowd.

On the days and nights that the crowd at the Bridge are “up for it” the player’s will be too!
    So called "Juke Box"
    He was a headless chicken but at that time Chelsea weren't dining at the top table.

Master
    Liverpool have played the most Europe games out of every English side. They’ve played more games that city arsenal and Chelsea combined
    Rubbish! Liverpool have played approx the same as Man United and approx half the games that City, Arsenal and Chelsea combined in European competitions.

Craftsman

So he blames his own sister and her partner and his sister? Her partners sister who was with them at the game testified at the inquest that she was also being blamed along with other Liverpool fans.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...sh-1815474?amp

Craftsman
    Liverpool have played the most Europe games out of every English side. They’ve played more games that city arsenal and Chelsea combined

We also travel in massive numbers the European games due to us being a global big club.

200,000 fans went to Paris yesterday and there were 64 arrests.

They’ve played more games that city arsenal and Chelsea combined.

Ask any United fans who have been to games in Europe and see how they are treated.

You’ve also ignored the account above from my nephew.

Here’s sky sports news account which matches my nephews account.

But yes ok, just ignore what actually happened it’s just them scousers acting up.

https://youtu.be/0PBu_YTu9wM

200,000, you must have got a loan of Celtics Seville calculator to come up with that sort of figure.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    So he blames his own sister and her partner and his sister? Her partners sister who was with them at the game testified at the inquest that she was also being blamed along with other Liverpool fans.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...sh-1815474?amp
    I don't believe she was a Liverpool supporter and had just gone to the game with her boyfriend when a ticket became available. Her brother made this comment to me and I don't know why he holds those views.

Master
    Don’t underestimate how hated ANY ENGLISH CLUBS FANS are in Europe. They are regarded as the scum of the earth irrespective of club colours and are deemed fair game for robust treatment by officialdom and Uncle Tom cobbly and all.

I was on on holiday in Majorca in 1982, yes 40 years ago when Brighton were playing a friendly against Real Mallorca. I went along to see the game with a group of English lads, who on the holiday were decent ‘normal’ guys. Pre game saw a completely turn about face. They became animals looking for anything that moved to be abusive towards and scream at with threats of all sorts being made. Blood was their desire and they wouldn’t back down to anyone, even parents shielding their children from the bile and hate.

Eventually we were chased by fans, locals and anyone who’d had enough of the bile they spewed. Cornered by Police we lined up to be dealt with. I can speak Spanish and when addressed by the police, who were fuelled by the locals demand to sort the English fans out, I explained who I was, where I was from and why I was at the game. The police let me go as I wasn’t English and they only wanted them for all they had done to the locals in Majorca pre-game. They asked why I had even associated with them as they felt Scottish fans were a different breed (that’s a wrong assumption) from the English who the Police felt simply want to fight and cause carnage, abusing everyone and everything.

It was not pretty that night.

So from 40 years and beyond, has the European opinion of English fans changed or had cause to? I’ll leave it there.

It wouldn’t have mattered if last night had been City, Chelsea or Wycombe Wanderers, the French police would have seen it as game on, just as they do in Italy, Germany, Spain, Poland or wherever an English club visits and leaves a trail. English fans are simply hated, everywhere.

Jim
    Jim, sad but so very true. I don't know why the fans become so rude and abusive, it is often to do with drinking too much, I would be interested to know if alcohol was a factor with the lads you went to that game with all those years ago, or if just the football brought this behaviour out in them. And the perception the others have us is very much as you have described above.

Craftsman
    I don't believe she was a Liverpool supporter and had just gone to the game with her boyfriend when a ticket became available. Her brother made this comment to me and I don't know why he holds those views.
    It doesn’t matter if she supported them before, she was at the game supporting Liverpool so therefore she must form part of the group he blames. Reading the story of her, her boyfriend and his sister, they got into the ground when the gate was opened to relieve the crush outside. That being the case she would be one of the fans that day have been blamed by some parties for crushing those at the front.

It’s sad he’s lost his sister but to then take the point of view you have said he’s taken is just weird.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Jim, sad but so very true. I don't know why the fans become so rude and abusive, it is often to do with drinking too much, I would be interested to know if alcohol was a factor with the lads you went to that game with all those years ago, or if just the football brought this behaviour out in them. And the perception the others have us is very much as you have described above.
    Hi T

It started off with no drink, as they planned and discussed how they’d show how the English boys were the top team and anybody that came in front of that would be pushed aside at the very least. Then when the drink got into them it became hatred. The writing was on the wall and it was obvious it was going to go from bad to worse. I sloped off with a guy from Ireland who, like me, thought we were going to watch a football match, not wreak havoc on local population. We left them to plan their night as they ran up the main road chanting any football song and looking for victims. Bear in mind, these guys were not from Brighton or even Brighton fans, they were simply English and from all over the country, united in one thing: causing trouble that night. Victims were to be anyone not speaking English. Then, when the locals had obviously grouped up in large numbers and tooled up, they chased the English guys back down to where I was still sitting with the Irish bloke. Then police moved in and, as we all spoke English, we were cornered by Mallorca’s finest who were being egged on by their community folk to do their bit now. Understanding the language the locals knew the police and were explicit in what they would do if the police didn’t act robustly.

We couldn’t go anywhere so were now part of the mob and only released when spoken to by the police, as I said above.

When we walked away the police were still sorting out who they wanted to speak with and those they were happy to let on their way.

This was to be a planned night of mayhem with English lads, who came from all over the country and supported various teams, simply looking for someone, anyone to give a kicking to. No reason. Just cos they could.

Jim

Don’t underestimate how hated ANY ENGLISH CLUBS FANS are in Europe. They are regarded as the scum of the earth irrespective of club colours and are deemed fair game for robust treatment by officialdom and Uncle Tom cobbly and all.....
    Problem is most of the time the English drink like fish and start acting all hard, English club supporters walking in big groups with arms in the air chanting and acting in an aggressive manner its no wonder foreign nations are on edge and ready for trouble..

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Let's just listen to the kack that you spout and hold that as gospel then eh ? GTF, bellend
    Back up with the personal insults .
    I’ve not had to resort to it with you and we both know you wouldn’t say any of it to my face .

As I say, the best team in the premiership with the alleged best manager in the world strolled off with the title not only by 1 point, but got to within 15 minutes of winning absolutely nothing for stellar season they had

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    As I say, the best team in the premiership with the alleged best manager in the world strolled off with the title not only by 1 point, but got to within 15 minutes of winning absolutely nothing for stellar season they had
    The best only needs to be a bit better than the rest and title is won over 38 matches. No matter whether they had a close game in the first or last match.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think that the French Police were overwhelmed with how many Liverpool fans were in Paris. There were supposedly 200 hundred thousand and with only 20 thousand tickets and reports of fake tickets it was bound to kick off.

It’s coming out now that thousands of fans gathered outside the stadium with fake tickets and many more without any tickets, no wonder the French were nervous.

Man City are once again the best team in the country and worthy league winners this year. Congratulations.
    Liverpool are the best penalty takers in cup competition’s in the country this year. Congratulations.
    Fact! as the fat Spanish waiter used to say.

I’ve traveled all over Europe watching both Chelsea and England back in my day, the two places I’ve experienced the worst treatment by police was Paris and anywhere in Spain. Paris was particularly bad as the police seemed to be working alongside the PSG Ultra’s!
    Liverpool fans are no worse than anybody else when they’re full of foreign lager but they have a reputation of turning up in large numbers without tickets, extra ticket checks backed up by a police presence could’ve helped, not like at the Wembley Euro final last year when it was just manned by guys in hi-viz on minimum wage

The big rise in cocaine use in football grounds is the most worrying thing I’ve seen for a few years now and urgently needs addressing.

Journeyman
    Football disorder is not just an English problem. Far from it. I know we have a historic reputation but every county has its share of idiots. This is France but Google pretty much any country and you’ll find similar.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61628488

https://www.theguardian.com/football...order-violence

https://talksport.com/football/94947...payet-ligue-1/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    The best only needs to be a bit better than the rest and title is won over 38 matches. No matter whether they had a close game in the first or last match.
    Agree and it doesn't matter how little they were better by they would always still be worthy champions and deserve to be respected. Man City and Pep have my utmost respect it a shame for Liverpool thatchy have such a great team around at the same time as them, though getting as close as they do is something they should definitely take encouragement from.

Man City are once again the best team in the country and worthy league winners this year. Congratulations.
    Liverpool are the best penalty takers in cup competition’s in the country this year. Congratulations.
    Fact! as the fat Spanish waiter used to say.

I’ve traveled all over Europe watching both Chelsea and England back in my day, the two places I’ve experienced the worst treatment by police was Paris and anywhere in Spain. Paris was particularly bad as the police seemed to be working alongside the PSG Ultra’s!
    Liverpool fans are no worse than anybody else when they’re full of foreign lager but they have a reputation of turning up in large numbers without tickets, extra ticket checks backed up by a police presence could’ve helped, not like at the Wembley Euro final last year when it was just manned by guys in hi-viz on minimum wage

The big rise in cocaine use in football grounds is the most worrying thing I’ve seen for a few years now and urgently needs addressing.
    I imagine that the coke makes the 90 minutes easier to endure, but added to the pre match lagers and the violent attitude it's not gonna end well... it'd clearly be better to get them hooked on E's and spliff.
    Last edited by Passenger; 30th May 2022 at 09:20.

Master
    Chelsea won nothing as soon as Romans money stopped, a similar sort of FACT to the above, congratulations and long may it continue.

Who knows the fat Spanish waiter may be the man your new owners turn to once again when things are not going too well and they don't have the appetite to spend like dirty money Roman did to bring success.

Craftsman
    I think that the French Police were overwhelmed with how many Liverpool fans were in Paris. There were supposedly 200 hundred thousand and with only 20 thousand tickets and reports of fake tickets it was bound to kick off.

It’s coming out now that thousands of fans gathered outside the stadium with fake tickets and many more without any tickets, no wonder the French were nervous.
    What is your source for this? UEFA and the French?

All of the news reports that are now starting to come out are saying something different. I am seeing reports from journalists for Sky, the Daily Mail, ex footballers and others who were in the crowd of fans waiting to get into the stadium are providing a different version of events. Representatives of the FA and Merseyside Police who were at the stadium are also saying the same thing i.e. the French made a mess of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    What is your source for this? UEFA and the French?

All of the news reports that are now starting to come out are saying something different. I am seeing reports from journalists for Sky, the Daily Mail, ex footballers and others who were in the crowd of fans waiting to get into the stadium are providing a different version of events. Representatives of the FA and Merseyside Police who were at the stadium are also saying the same thing i.e. the French made a mess of it.
    But doesn't common sense say the mess began with the thousands of fans with fake tickets or no tickets, after all they didn't need to be there in the first place...

Journeyman
    Ex LFC/Ireland players not impressed.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/forme...e-final-234999

The policing is coming into question on the political scene in France. Hopefully there will be a proper enquiry as to what really happened and where they went wrong (irrespective of the possible drunkenness and hooliganism, tear gas on people with children is hard to justify).
    When I lived in Paris I would go to most 5/6 Nations games as the federation would have tickets for me (ex player). There was no separation between supporters and hardly any visible police when we went to the Parc des Princes. People were coming with their families.
    Whenever it was a football match it was a completely different affair: heavy riot police on all accesses to the stadium, no alcohol sales within a significant radius, complete separation of supporters and hardly any children to be seen. And this for domestic as well as international games.

Master
    Ex LFC/Ireland players not impressed.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/forme...e-final-234999
    That 'scallys' account is not going to carry much weight in this thread or elsewhere, admire your attempt all the same.

Journeyman
    Nick Parrot also a scally and not to be trusted.

https://twitter.com/NickParrottTV/st...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

And another scally, Kaveh Solhekol, who was tear-gassed along with his SSN crew.

https://youtu.be/ufPjdQxupNA
    Last edited by SlipperySam; 30th May 2022 at 10:15.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The policing is coming into question on the political scene in France. Hopefully there will be a proper enquiry as to what really happened and where they went wrong (irrespective of the possible drunkenness and hooliganism, tear gas on people with children is hard to justify).
    When I lived in Paris I would go to most 5/6 Nations games as the federation would have tickets for me (ex player). There was no separation between supporters and hardly any visible police when we went to the Parc des Princes. People were coming with their families.
    Whenever it was a football match it was a completely different affair: heavy riot police on all accesses to the stadium, no alcohol sales within a significant radius, complete separation of supporters and hardly any children to be seen. And this for domestic as well as international games.
    Now this I find fascinating and have never been able to get my around it. Same nationality, same gender, same age group, same alcohol yet change the sport from football to rugby and a completely different type of behaviour is displayed by the fans.

Why do you think this may be the case?

Now this I find fascinating and have never been able to get my around it. Same nationality, same gender, same age group, same alcohol yet change the sport from football to rugby and a completely different type of behaviour is displayed by the fans.

Why do you think this may be the case?
    Perplexes me too.

Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    Lol´d at the quip in the replies´Now bunk him into the dentists´...but the fact he, and his Dad, are so proud of a bit of low grade criminality etc...raises a lot of questions.
    Last edited by Passenger; 30th May 2022 at 10:20.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Lol´d at the quip in the replies´Now bunk him into the dentists´...but the fact he, and his Dad, are so proud of a bit of low grade criminality etc...raises a lot of questions.
    Mind numbing stupidity!

Few here need to take a look at the bigger picture. The scenes at Wembley last year caused by England fans shows this isn’t a club issue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    Few here need to take a look at the bigger picture. The scenes at Wembley last year caused by England fans shows this isn’t a club issue.
    Well said Crammage, a few others including Jim have already alluded to this point. Trying to understand the reasons for this type of behaviour is what everybody should be concentrating on rather than making it a tribal club issue.

As Saint Just demonstrated it doesn't happen with Rugby and it would be great to try and identify why.