closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Snorkelling in Hurghada

Master

Snorkelling in Hurghada

Is it any good? Is it worth buying masks, fins and snorkels for myself and kids?
    I’ve never been to Egypt but I’ve heard fantastic stories about the quality of the diving out there, just wondering does that translate to snorkelling near the shore.
    Off in just over two and a half weeks.

I've dived in Hurghada many times and it's great. I can even recommend you a crew to go out with even if Just snorkeling. The only caveat I would mention is if you go off season everything is closed and you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere outside your hotel to eat or drink. We'll anywhere that's decent anyway.

Edit, most excursions will supply all your snorkeling gear too. If you just want to go snorkeling off the beach just choose your hotel carefully for the best locations for reef, sea life.
    Last edited by manganr; 26th May 2022 at 19:11.

Master

Snorkelling in Hurghada

Worth taking masks, fins and snorkels. Cheap decathlon type would be fine as you want the soft silicon seal as opposed to the harder plastic type you find at the cheap harbour shops.

The harbour isn’t clean or safe for snorkelling but plenty to see walking in from the shore. If you have time, the beach near the Marriott is clean and safe, plus has a little bar.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 26th May 2022 at 19:51.

Master
    Cheers. I don’t know if this screenshot helps to know if we are in an ok place or not but we are stating at the Jaz Makadi.

Definitely worth it, you’ll all have a great time, loads to see near the surface if you find a reef to swim around and over.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    When we were in Hurghada, our hotel position didn’t lend itself to snorkelling due to the shallow coral reef. There was a walkway which took about 5 mins to walk out over so you could clear the coral but then it was a sheer drop off the reef, and was particularly choppy.

I’ve done snorkelling trips in the Red Sea though and it’s the clearest I’ve ever seen… could see the divers down at a wreck as clear as day, so would recommend booking a trip or two.

Craftsman
    I was disappointed with the snorkelling in Hurghada, nowhere near as good as the Sharm resorts I had been to. The kids will still enjoy it.

I'd suggest a day boat trip out to either Orange Bay or Paradise Island, good snorkelling, food, soft drinks are usually included.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

Snorkelling in Hurghada

Some things to think about.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by jaytip; 28th May 2022 at 08:20.

Master
    I’ve just bought these for my kids. I’ll be buying a traditional mask, snorkel and fins as I like to dive down, and as a bonus I’ve just been informed by someone at the hotel I’ll be staying at that the snorkelling on the beach locally is good.
    Just over two weeks to go, can’t wait.

It will be good to get your feedback on how those full face snorkels fare, I’ve often looked at them for my kids.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    It will be good to get your feedback on how those full face snorkels fare, I’ve often looked at them for my kids.
    Will do. I’ve gone for these as my kids have never snorkelled before so I just thought it would make it a bit easier.
    Chap working in Decathlon checked the fit on both my kids and confirmed they were fine so fingers crossed they will work ok.
    From what I have read and seen on YouTube though they are not very good if you like to dive down. You can’t equalise with them so they get very tight on the face.
    My kids will just be surface snorkelling.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Will do. I’ve gone for these as my kids have never snorkelled before so I just thought it would make it a bit easier.
    Chap working in Decathlon checked the fit on both my kids and confirmed they were fine so fingers crossed they will work ok.
    From what I have read and seen on YouTube though they are not very good if you like to dive down. You can’t equalise with them so they get very tight on the face.
    My kids will just be surface snorkelling.
    The vests in the photo will make it difficult to lay face down in the water, also get fins for them, an hour of two teaching in a pool environment with a mask and snorkel would be a good start.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The vests in the photo will make it difficult to lay face down in the water, also get fins for them, an hour of two teaching in a pool environment with a mask and snorkel would be a good start.
    They are not the strongest of swimmers, so I wouldn’t take any chances with them. At least with the vests, I know they aren’t going to sink. It’s one less thing to worry about.

Journeyman
    Its a good few years since we went to Sharm and we stayed at the Coral Reef Hotel. The snorkeling was great, you could walk out into waist deep water and see lots of fish around the pieces of coral. It would be excellent for kids because they could literally bend down and put their faces in the water. Also the sea was very calm and clear, but it is very sharp under foot so make sure they wear their sea shoes when in the water. The further out you went it was more spectacular. I`m sure you will have a great time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Looking online, you may be right about those vests. I didn’t realise you could get snorkelling specific vests.
    I’m a bit annoyed about this because the guy helping us in Decathlon said they would be fine

My daughter has enjoyed this face mask when younger and playing in the pool. Your children will enjoy them. I agree that the vests are probably not ideal. You may want surf T-shirts to avoid sunburns, time flies when snorkelling on a reef.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    My daughter has enjoyed this face mask when younger and playing in the pool. Your children will enjoy them. I agree that the vests are probably not ideal. You may want surf T-shirts to avoid sunburns, time flies when snorkelling on a reef.
    They are not in the photo but they both have long sleeve rash vests as well.

Master

Snorkelling in Hurghada

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Looking online, you may be right about those vests. I didn’t realise you could get snorkelling specific vests.
    I’m a bit annoyed about this because the guy helping us in Decathlon said they would be fine
    It’s better this way than too much buoyancy on the back as that forces the face down and if the child struggles. Just make sure they are a good fit so that they don’t rise and have a sun vest under to stop the chaffing.

Get them to practice righting themselves in Shallow water when you first arrive.

I used to run dive schools there. PADI do a course called bubble makers which may be a useful way to safely learn some basic snorkelling for them. Plenty of schools and the PADI syllabus is good for young people.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 29th May 2022 at 15:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    It’s better this way than too much buoyancy on the back as that forces the face down and if the child struggles. Just make sure they are a good fit so that they don’t rise and have a sun vest under to stop the chaffing.

Get them to practice righting themselves in Shallow water when you first arrive.

I used to run dive schools there. PADI do a course called bubble makers which may be a useful way to safely learn some basic snorkelling for them. Plenty of schools and the PADI syllabus is good for young people.
    I’m thinking of taking the ones I bought back and getting something like this instead.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Not just for kids…
    I love snorkelling when we holiday in warm climes and spend hours entertaining myself finning about looking for shells fish and lost Rolex.
    For years was traditional mask user type but was recommended one of the full face jobies to try.
    Really impressed, more comfortable, far better vision, easier breathing “normally” than through your mouth with a snorkel, no problem going down to the bottom (8-10ft) as float seals breathing tube. I think it was about £30.
    Would thoroughly recommend trying one.

Thanks John, I think I will, if we ever finally manage to get away somewhere nice.
    Cheers..
    Jase

It is very important that wet shoes are worn when walking about in the shallows out there.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    It is very important that wet shoes are worn when walking about in the shallows out there.

R
    We’ve bought them. Just need to get a rash vest for myself now for the snorkelling.