closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do NOT travel from or through Schiphol!

Blog Entries
    Two positive stories about transfers on Schiphol. Great.

Travelling FROM Schiphol: many started to show up much, much earlier than needed. Instead of the '3 hr before the fight', people started to arrive 5 or 6 hrs in advance. Forming a queue - with people in the back who were there according to the '3 hr rule'...

So, new rule starting today (this morning): a 4 hr rule. One is not allowed in the Departure Hall when that person is more than 4 hrs in advance. It looks to go well. Still, (lack of) security is a problem.

M

Master
    Schipol this evening, from check in to through passport control in around an hour. Tbf we arrived almost four hours before our flight, thus were second in queue to check bags in. Airport very clean, but all exhibition only models in Rolex boutique.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Schipol this evening, from check in to through passport control in around an hour. Tbf we arrived almost four hours before our flight, thus were second in queue to check bags in. Airport very clean, but all exhibition only models in Rolex boutique.

But to balance the aura of the cosmos, flight now delayed by at least two hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    But to balance the aura of the cosmos, flight now delayed by at least two hours.

Will soon be cancelled?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Will soon be cancelled?
    Thankfully now on the ground in Dublin. Only a 90 min drive home to enjoy. At least the roads should be quiet.

Glad you got there. Hope that the drive was as uneventful as can be.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    No issues at Gatwick today. No queue at baggage claim or passport control at 3pm. Flew to Malta last Friday and that was the same, super smooth. Although departures was busy and there were long waits to eat in the restaurants so we are at pret.

Don’t get me started on the appalling on board service of BA though!
    Was this north or south terminal please?
    I’m flying out of the north terminal on the 14th
    Praying for a smooth transition.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Was this north or south terminal please?
    I’m flying out of the north terminal on the 14th
    Praying for a smooth transition.
    South, not sure if north was the same.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    South, not sure if north was the same.
    Cheers.

Blog Entries
    KLM Cityhopper does not take people from various destinantions back to Schiphol. Too crowded... Rumours are that the Schiphol Fire Department has great objections when it comes to the amount of people inside the buildings.

Master
    Just arrived back from Amsterdam via Schipol and what a nightmare...we were flying from Terminal/Departure Hall 2.

Terminal 1 looked so busy it had people waiting what must have been an hour just to get inside.

No problems dropping bags off at KLM but security took nearly 3 hours and what made it worse was the the lack of help/advice and the screens saying we are experiencing delays due to large crowds and staff shortages.Schipol don't blame the crowds for your own utter contempt for customer service.

KLM then put the flight back 3 hours and then without notice brought it forward by an hour with such short notice it was a nightmare getting to the gate on time.

Honestly i travel 3 or 4 times a year mainly on city breaks and that is my last until this situation is resolved at most airports.

NOTE if going from Manchester AVOID Tui as it was complete chaos at Manchester on Monday.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Just arrived back from Amsterdam via Schipol and what a nightmare...we were flying from Terminal/Departure Hall 2.

Terminal 1 looked so busy it had people waiting what must have been an hour just to get inside.

No problems dropping bags off at KLM but security took nearly 3 hours and what made it worse was the the lack of help/advice and the screens saying we are experiencing delays due to large crowds and staff shortages.Schipol don't blame the crowds for your own utter contempt for customer service.

KLM then put the flight back 3 hours and then without notice brought it forward by an hour with such short notice it was a nightmare getting to the gate on time.

Honestly i travel 3 or 4 times a year mainly on city breaks and that is my last until this situation is resolved at most airports.

NOTE if going from Manchester AVOID Tui as it was complete chaos at Manchester on Monday.
    It's an absolute nightmare. My wife is currently looking at train time tables for traveling across Europe to see if it's an alternative, time-wise.

Master
    I’m flying in tomorrow morning. Hoping the situation has improved. Anyone know if the delays are linked to the recent strike or was it staff shortages?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

I’m still waiting for TUI to deal with my complaints from flights with them at Christmas, good luck getting any response from TUI.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I’m flying in tomorrow morning. Hoping the situation has improved. Anyone know if the delays are linked to the recent strike or was it staff shortages?
    Schiphol? Staff shortages.

Master
    I flew in this morning and no queues, no delays and straight through.

Rolex dealership has all in demand watches including the full range of Daytonas all sizes and metals of the yacht master.

All current watches are exhibition but they do receive the odd one to sell which sells quickly.

Master
    I was there yesterday (Sunday) - peak day, according to Schiphol & Manchester websites.

Manchester T1; arrived at 2:45am and security took about 30-40 mins in total.

Shiphol - arrived at 4pm; 55 mins from arrival at the airport to sitting in the departures lounge. I didn't check any luggage but the check-in desks didn't seem too busy. Only about half of the security lanes and passport machine lanes were open.

Master
    Glad to hear folks are getting through without too much hassle now,
    I've used vouchers for flights I've cancelled for another trip in March next year, hopefully things will be well settled and back to 'normal' by then

Blog Entries
    All 'stations' at Schiphol (Check-in personnel, security etc) are operating on a 50% - 65% level: so many open jobs.

Schiphol had a job market on Saturday and it was 'luckily- very well-attended by people who are interested in working at Schiphol. Wages have gone up, bonus payments for the summer and there's an interesting bonus to be earned when an employee introduces a potential new employee.

An observing journalist wrote: 'The job market was well attended. There was a long queue with people who'd shown interest. Remarkably, this line was 'solved' a lot quicker than the line of passengers waiting...'

Schiphol's major shareholders are not too happy (to put it friendly): the annual shareholders meeting was 10 days BEFORE the trouble began. And it was not mentioned by the Schiphol CEO. At that point, he already knew that there's a big, big staff shortage and trouble ahead.

Master
    I travelled to Schiphol today from london city. The flight I was booked on (KLM) was cancelled due to staff issues.

London city was as usual too busy and inadequate holding areas. Flight took off late arrived late.

All watch shops with full ranges ( Rolex shop mostly exhibition but a couple for sale).

Immigration queue too long in part because of a Jobs worth directing us to the zig zag queue lanes, staff chatting and asking U.K. citizens daft questions ( why are you here, how long you staying, what’s the purpose, etc).

Craftsman
    An hour and a half from arrival at the airport to being in the departure lounge. Crowd control was excellent.

Check in online will save you at least 30 minutes.

Late take off due to not enough baggage handlers but the captain walked through the cabin and kept us well informed, this was KLM.

Arrival in Manchester was equally painless, straight through passport control and my luggage arrived after about 10 minutes.

I think that these days you have approach air travel with a different mind set. Try to be patient at every queue and do not pack anything that you might need at your destination.

Things are getting better but it's a slow process.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Back through next week again…. Feeling a bit better about things in AMS

The bigger issue was Birmingham on the way out…. 80 mins to get through

Anyone been through BHX early AM recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael27 View Post
    snip...
    I think that these days you have approach air travel with a different mind set. Try to be patient at every queue and do not pack anything that you might need at your destination.
    Good advice. I now take a wash kit, a rubble sack and a couple of days t-shirts, pants and socks in a carry-on bag. Then buy everything once I get there. Before departing I pack almost everything into the rubble sack and post it back to myself. Someone ends up with a free roll of packing tape, and the hassle it saves me is well worth the postage.

Blog Entries
    Good news about AMS here on the forum. My wife is flying in and out AMS to various European destinations between now and mid-July. All meetings in the afternoon. She has opted to take a day earlier afternoon or evening flight with a hotel stay. Most trips are less than 3 hrs away. If it fails, she can stay at Schiphol and take a flight the next day. So much for Premium, Preferred and Business class (that does not help).

Master
    Going next week by AMS. Afternoon flight hand luggage…

A month ago AMS Boston thankfully with a frequent flyer to skip some line. Other collegues delay of 12 hours and missed the plane. What a horror.

Blog Entries
    Spin-off from the original posting: do not travel through the Netherlands on June 22.

I'll spare you the details, it's politics and not allowed on this part of the forum. But there's a fair chance that the country will come to a grinding halt as a result of farmers protesting against the government. They did this -partly- in the past, but I think that will be huge this time! Last time in 2019, the government had to use military equipment to keep the farmers out of The Hague. But since the Russian Ukrainian war, it has become clear to everybody that military equipment is no match for a big John Deere with a dedicated farmer/driver...

My advice is: come in or leave before the 22nd. Or stay a few days longer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

Useful to know and fortunately, I’m leaving late on the 21st so good timing at least!

Still dreading the Manchester-Schiphol flight on Friday although recent reports are a little more positive.

Blog Entries
    Spin-off from the original posting: do not travel through the Netherlands on June 22.

I'll spare you the details, it's politics and not allowed on this part of the forum. But there's a fair chance that the country will come to a grinding halt as a result of farmers protesting against the government. They did this -partly- in the past, but I think that will be huge this time! Last time in 2019, the government had to use military equipment to keep the farmers out of The Hague. But since the Russian Ukrainian war, it has become clear to everybody that military equipment is no match for a big John Deere with a dedicated farmer/driver...

Oh sweet…. I’m traveling back on the 22nd from Schipol…. I have things scheduled, so, can’t back out and don’t want to stay longer as I have the cricket on the Thursday

Arse!

Going Birmingham to Schiphol tomorrow, then back on Friday. Flight just after 10am I think. Not checking any baggage. Wish me luck!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Oh sweet…. I’m traveling back on the 22nd from Schipol…. I have things scheduled, so, can’t back out and don’t want to stay longer as I have the cricket on the Thursday

Arse!
    I don’t know where you stay. If you have to travell to Schiphol first, take the train. It stops right under the airport and works really well. I know, i come there 4 days p/w.

Farmers might block highways because of their protests so you can get stuck in traffic using a cab.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post
    I don’t know where you stay. If you have to travell to Schiphol first, take the train. It stops right under the airport and works really well. I know, i come there 4 days p/w.

Farmers might block highways because of their protests so you can get stuck in traffic using a cab.
    They did stop a train yesterday evening in the east part of the country. Perhaps as a warming-up? But somehow, I think that this was a once-and-not-anymore action. Stopping/blocking a train is prohibited by an old law and can cost you up to 15 yrs(!) in prison...

About Schiphol: few nice hotels inside or adjacent to the Schiphol main building. I would be surprised to hear that they're all fully booked.

Master
    I read an article in the FT that private flights are booming. I hadn’t realised but 1in 5 flights in the US are on private planes. Given the current situation I suppose this will increase. And given Prince Harry still needs to travel

Craftsman

I'm due to travel in first thing on June 23rd for a business meeting. Back home to Edinburgh that evening. Can't wait! Sounds like I will have some airport fun

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat View Post

They did stop a train yesterday evening in the east part of the country. Perhaps as a warming-up? But somehow, I think that this was a once-and-not-anymore action. Stopping/blocking a train is prohibited by an old law and can cost you up to 15 yrs(!) in prison...

About Schiphol: few nice hotels inside or adjacent to the Schiphol main building. I would be surprised to hear that they're all fully booked.
    I’m staying in Den Bosch the night before (a rather lovely town) and have a meeting in Rosmalen on the Wednesday morning

Good tip regarding a train…. Thank you

Master
    I'm flying there tomorrow. My flight has already been cancelled and I have to fly from a different London airport.

On a more positive note and assuming I get there, I'm opening another thread on where to east in Amsterdam.

Transited through yesterday. Into D out of F no issues, problems or delays at all. There were some queues through security into the other departure gates but seemed to rattle through quite quickly.

Nb. All R watches were exhibition… and not as pretty as 5 digit models

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I’m staying in Den Bosch the night before (a rather lovely town) and have a meeting in Rosmalen on the Wednesday morning

Good tip regarding a train…. Thank you
    When going by train, use this: https://9292.nl/en
    The National Railway's official travel planner (in English)

Master
    Waiting for a delayed departure at the
    moment. Access to escalators to access departure level still slowed by an insistence that you walk around the inside of the check desk hall rather than direct access.

Immigration no queue.
    Security screening minimal queue, all machines working, etc.

The multi brand watch shops no longer have Rolex. Rolex only at the Rolex shop. Shop is well stocked with exhibition pieces. They have only had one watch for sale recently ( green faced datejust 41) which sold straight away.

New models expected as exhibition late august early September.

Flight cancelled whilst typing above ..

Master
    About 20-30 min wait at immigration yesterday evening which wasn’t too bad. Didn’t check any bags but there weren’t loads of people waiting at bag reclaim so seemed to be running fairly well.

30 min security queue at Manchester which is par for the course these days really!

Blog Entries
    When going by train, use this: https://9292.nl/en
    The National Railway's official travel planner (in English)
    That’s really helpful…. Thank you very much

Master
    I thought this thread might fade away, especially given my recent experience of the trip being no more onerous that pre-covid, but todays trip was a nightmare.

London city airport is a joke.
    Flight to AMS delayed and the queue for passport control extends to part way up the satellite so probably around 1 km long.
    They responded to the issues by closing all exits. When I asked then how to leave the airport they didn’t know.

Think I will ride here next time.

Blog Entries
    Schiphol stated (at the start of the problems) that in May, more and more travellers found their way back to the airport after two years of Covid. But that's simply not true! A newspaper dug through the data and found out that in May 2019 - when there were no problems- the number of travellers was about 6.3 million that month. Last May's number was 5.2 million. More than a million less compared to a period when there was no problem at all!

The bottleneck is security: Schiphol has 500 free spots in security. It's outsourced; 5 private companies do the security on Schiphol. Lack of coordination, lack of management or at least supervision from the airport staff has a lot to do with the problems. Schiphol's brass tells everybody, including big shareholders, that they were unaware of the problems... You must not act surprised when you first sack a total of 35,000 (!!) employees on the airport due to Covid and then find out that they're not all returning when business picks up again.

Craftsman
    Update from my journey today - coming into Schiphol from Edinburgh was fine, got through smooth as you like.

Flight home - came through security and passport control in 20 mins!!! That's faster than Edinburgh this morning - which was very good as was extremely busy.

Hope anybody else coming through has same experience.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Edited to add - Exhibition Only at Rolex, of course! Nothing to actually sell.

Blog Entries
    I dropped my wife off at Schiphol around 6PM for her late-night flight to Geneva. I'd noticed that there was an enormous traffic jam on the road once I would be on my way back, so I decided to eat something at the Burger King at Schiphol before returning home. I was waiting for my order when I received a WhatsApp message from my wife. Telling me that she'd passed a checks already. Indeed, that must have been a <20mins action!

(And the traffic jam was gone when I drove back home!)

Eating at BK is probably too high a price to pay to avoid a traffic jam

Blog Entries
    I guess you're right. A high price on various levels...

In the days of wearing the IT hat I was in the office alone on a Sunday afternoon and the only choice of "food" was the soon to be closing BK. I got the box back to the office, interested to try this flame grilled extravaganza, being a virgin to BK "food". Jesus it was bad! The taste was as close as I could imagine tepid dog being.

Master
    I know we're going OT but I think BK is the best there is, the Whopper is heavenly. I have to limit myself to one a month.

Blog Entries
    Resurrecting an old thread:

Transfer-travellers who use Schiphol are advised ‘carry on luguage only’; the ground crews cannot guarantee that suitcases will be offloaded and reloaded in time…

On the good side: our PM Mark Rutte was spotted in the queue for his plane th NY. He didn’t skip the line, he didn’t get (want) a VIP treatment.

I like that attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Well, I have to say that for an International hun, it’s a pretty crap experience. Some of the eating places are closed, those that are open have poor options. It’s going to be a long 3 hours…..
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........