closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rum suggestions?

Master
    We’ve got a nice drinks cabinet and since thread we’ve been adding the odd rum bottle to it :unconscious

Is that the Tiffany drinks cabinet? Was £500 but since the Patek special edition came out it's worth £20k.

Master
    Blog Entries
    El Dorado 12yr is often discounted to £30 on Amazon and at that price is pretty unbeatable - great for sipping and in an Old Fashioned.

For sipping/treat:
    El Dorado 15yr
    Ron Zacapa 23
    Havana Club Seleccion Maestro
    Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva

For cocktails:
    Mid/dark (Dark and Stormy etc): Diplomatico Mantuano or Havana Club 7yr. If you're into Rum and Coke then imo Havana Club 7yr and a twist of lime is unbeatable to make one.
    Light: (Mojito etc) Havana Club 3yr

I quite like these two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Havana Club 7 year. Picked some up at the distillery in Havana, very smooth.

Only ever bought one bottle of rum - Pusser’s Rum.

Really liked the clean taste - totally unlike all the ‘cooking’ rums I had tried before.

Craftsman
    I’m much more of a whisky drinker than a rum drinker, but Angostura 1787 rum is extremely moreish. It’s a 15 year old blend. One to drink neat.

Blog Entries
    No idea what it’s like, but I picked up this from NC last week. (When I travel I like to try the local stuff that we can’t get back in the uk.)

I’ll update once I’ve had a taster.

…likewise with the whisky

z
    Last edited by zelig; 11th June 2022 at 14:00.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I’ll update once I’ve had a taster.
    z
    Basically, it's rum with a hit of cinnamon, lots of sweetness & a hint of vanilla.

Not terrible, but not great either.

I'd imagine it could work quite well in the right cocktail... or maybe I need another to reassess ...

z

Master
    Blog Entries

PSA

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    El Dorado 12yr is often discounted to £30 on Amazon and at that price is pretty unbeatable - great for sipping and in an Old Fashioned.

For sipping/treat:
    El Dorado 15yr
    Ron Zacapa 23
    Havana Club Seleccion Maestro
    Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva

For cocktails:
    Mid/dark (Dark and Stormy etc): Diplomatico Mantuano or Havana Club 7yr. If you're into Rum and Coke then imo Havana Club 7yr and a twist of lime is unbeatable to make one.
    Light: (Mojito etc) Havana Club 3yr

El Dorado 12yr on offer today

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...KL5A1OLE&psc=1

My firsr foray into rum. Oh and a tequila to make the carriage paid order up
    https://postimg.cc/K1WwDZpK

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Ordered with my £30 birthday Amazon voucher.

Craftsman
    Sipping the Cassario Aldi tonight. Not with a cube

Master
    We’ve been going through a lot of spiced rum lately, trying different ones with some great results.

Lugger Spiced Rum was very nice, need to get another of those soon. As was a honey spiced one from the Devon Rum Co. We’re getting a delivery from the craft rum company every other month and this month we received the No Name Distillery which is also good. Also was given Duppy, which we’ve not tried yet.

We’re probably being heathen’s here but we prefer ours with ginger ale or ginger beer, with a slice of lime, or some lime or lemon juice.

Interestingly (well interesting for me, boring for you maybe :-) ), the very first Rolex shop I ever went into was in Charlotte Amalie, which is in St Thomas in 1997. There was a Rolex AD called A H Riise that had two stores in the same town. It’s the shop that made me want to save up for one and I always remembered the name as it was unusual. I found out last week they do their own rum - Black Barrel Navy Spiced. It’s just arrived, so looking forward to trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    We’ve been going through a lot of spiced rum lately, trying different ones with some great results.

Lugger Spiced Rum was very nice, need to get another of those soon. As was a honey spiced one from the Devon Rum Co. We’re getting a delivery from the craft rum company every other month and this month we received the No Name Distillery which is also good. Also was given Duppy, which we’ve not tried yet.

We’re probably being heathen’s here but we prefer ours with ginger ale or ginger beer, with a slice of lime, or some lime or lemon juice.

Interestingly (well interesting for me, boring for you maybe :-) ), the very first Rolex shop I ever went into was in Charlotte Amalie, which is in St Thomas in 1997. There was a Rolex AD called A H Riise that had two stores in the same town. It’s the shop that made me want to save up for one and I always remembered the name as it was unusual. I found out last week they do their own rum - Black Barrel Navy Spiced. It’s just arrived, so looking forward to trying.

I look forward to your thoughts on the Black Barrel Navy Spiced, could be one for my Christmas list!
    F.T.F.A.

My dad drinks alot of rum, but only white rum and sprite. Had a few bad experiences drinking rum in my younger days so avoid it now, this was mostly in Trinidad and each drink is mostly rum with a splash of coke.

Any rum drinkers out there?

I used to drink rum years ago, then went on to JD for a while as everyone I knew seemed to drink it and the last few years been mainly gin. On a Virgin flight to the US recently ended up drinking a few dark and stormy’s and bang I’m back into rum.

Bizarrely for both myself and my wife, it’s now our favourite drink - dark or spiced rum with gin ale (ginger beer good too).

We’ve tried and like Kraken black spiced rum, Luggers and Bacardi Spiced.
    I'm not much of a rum drinker but I was very pleasantly surprised by Kraken, I originally bought it simply for the branding and bottle shape!

I enjoy it just with ice if you haven't tried it on the rocks yet.

A friend of mine really enjoys this stuff:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I look forward to your thoughts on the Black Barrel Navy Spiced, could be one for my Christmas list!
    Well I’m off on holiday soon so was going to save it a while, but in the spirit (get it :-) ) of the forum, I’ll try it and report back :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsan View Post
    I'm not much of a rum drinker but I was very pleasantly surprised by Kraken, I originally bought it simply for the branding and bottle shape!

I enjoy it just with ice if you haven't tried it on the rocks yet.

A friend of mine really enjoys this stuff:

Funnily enough we drink Kraken a bit and quite like it. My mate drinks Sailor Jerry’s all the time, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    Eldorado 12 or 15. Always a hot topic in Guyana and there is clear preference between the 2.

The BrewDog rum often sold in 500ml bottles was pretty good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both perfectly respectable ways to drink rum. Navy grog is rum, lime and water whilst ginger beer with a dark rum float and a wedge of lime is a 'dark and stormy'.

Master
    Anyone tried the Kraken roast Coffee
    I like it
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Both perfectly respectable ways to drink rum. Navy grog is rum, lime and water whilst ginger beer with a dark rum float and a wedge of lime is a 'dark and stormy'.
    Try a dark and stormy with a scoop of ice cream. You’ll thank me later.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Just had one, very nice indeed :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Try a dark and stormy with a scoop of ice cream. You’ll thank me later.
    Any flavour ice cream? Do you drink it quickly or let it melt?

Wray & Nephew.
    "A man of little significance"

Any flavour ice cream? Do you drink it quickly or let it melt?

Just vanilla and drunk through a straw, it doesn’t last long in this weather…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Just vanilla and drunk through a straw, it doesn’t last long in this weather…
    I’ll have a go :-)

Here's a rum suggestion for you: mango, anchovy and marmalade sandwiches.

Oh sorry, you wanted suggestions for rum.

I blame the heat. I'll get my coat.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Wray & Nephew.
    A few bad decisions made in that stuff…