closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Broadband without bt line

Master
    Blog Entries

Broadband without bt line

One of my sons has moved to a semi rural house,No bt line in place.What’s a good wire free option,thanks for any help.

Blog Entries
    Depends on location but fixed wireless ISP services may be available. Also it may be feasible to use mobile with a suitable router (MiFi).

List of fixed wireless access providers here: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/isp_list...t_Wireless.php

The UK Wireless Internet Service Providers Association here: https://www.ukwispa.org

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    One of my sons has moved to a semi rural house,No bt line in place.What’s a good wire free option,thanks for any help.
    What’s the phone coverage like? When I was living in the Yorkshire dales the broadband was non existent so people tried with 4g and if that didn’t work went with Avonline satellite broadband.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    What’s the phone coverage like? When I was living in the Yorkshire dales the broadband was non existent so people tried with 4g and if that didn’t work went with Avonline satellite broadband.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Phone coverage is not great on 02

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Thank you.

We had terrible mobile coverage indoors but EE in the garden was very strong. Bought loads of PAYG SIMS to find one that worked using speedetest and mobile phone.

Ended up with a Draytek Router that accepted an EE SIM card with extension antennae so the antennae were in the garden but the router was in the house.

I did consider mounting the router in a weather proof cover but the antennae worked OK.

If you go this route let me know as have some outdoor ethernet cable somewhere you can have.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    We had terrible mobile coverage indoors but EE in the garden was very strong. Bought loads of PAYG SIMS to find one that worked using speedetest and mobile phone.

Ended up with a Draytek Router that accepted an EE SIM card with extension antennae so the antennae were in the garden but the router was in the house.

I did consider mounting the router in a weather proof cover but the antennae worked OK.

If you go this route let me know as have some outdoor ethernet cable somewhere you can have.
    Thanks for the offer,we have plenty of cable.

Journeyman
    Some ISP's will install a phone line as part of the installation (at no cost), assuming a phone line can be installed.

https://www.starlink.com

Now available to order in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    https://www.starlink.com

Now available to order in the UK
    Interesting. I was expecting more.

Hardware
    £529.00

Shipping & Handling
    £55.00

Service
    £89.00 /mo

DUE TODAY
    £584.00

Master
    Most have been already covered but

You can check bt availability here
    https://www.broadbandchecker.btwhole...SL/AddressHome

If that’s a no go, I’d talk to some neighbours and see what they use (assuming they have some)
    There might be local small isp’s doing fttp or wireless internet.

Then I’d look at 4/5G wireless.
    You can check this map but have to select the providers manually so it’s a faf but in the providers box you can use United and it will give a list of providers and show the closest masts and this will still be trial and error so you may well have to test a bunch of payg sims to see if there is a viable service.
    https://www.cellmapper.net/map?MCC=2...apType=roadmap

Lastly theres starlink

Master
    Blog Entries

Broadband without bt line

Bt/open reach out a pole in for me, super fast fibre connection is waay better than a 4g dongle
    Last edited by Middo; 25th May 2022 at 09:58.

Craftsman
    We moved to a semi rural location last year, BT best offer was 1GB (which is the same for all the village), but on closer inspection they realised we could connect to another exchange and receive 32GB download.

In the interim they provided their wireless solution which was hit and miss. Due to their incompetence, BT ended up cutting me off and in the end we went with three and an external antenna which was still very poor (stuck in a two year contract).

Fortunately in the end BT made good and we have a solid supply, on the plus side because of their compensation I won’t have to pay a bill for two years.

Moral of the story is you can’t beat a wired supply and don’t believe the promises of the wireless providers.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy View Post
    Moral of the story is you can’t beat a wired supply and don’t believe the promises of the wireless providers.
    That is 100% the opposite of my experience.

I have been using a 4G broadband solution for around 3 years and have not missed my wired connection for a minute. It is better is every way than the wired connection/service we had/can get here.

I do agree with Three being poor on their reliability side, despite being brilliant at the start and their customer service was non existent, but we switched to EE and it has been rock solid ever since.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well after a bit of searching ,I found a cable under the hall laminate flooring.It’s got about fifty volts on it so a good chance it’s a bt cable.Will contact them and see what they say.Thanks for the input so far👍.